Connected (F1 Story)

By __highflying

It's the following Summer from where the action left off, and Dan and Saskia are back, creating and causing m... More

The Dilemma
Chapter One: The Immediate Assumption
Chapter Two: Canadian Banter
Chapter Three: Sky High
Chapter Four: And Relax
Chapter Five: Cover Up
Chapter Six: Plain Sailing
Chapter Seven: Future References
Chapter Eight: The One
Chapter Nine: Tribute
Chapter Ten: Our Victory
Chapter Eleven: Surprise
Chapter Twelve: View
Chapter Thirteen: Night Out
Chapter Fourteen: The Wedding
Chapter Fifteen: And Breathe
Chapter Sixteen: Hurt
Chapter Seventeen: Uh-Oh
Chapter Eighteen: Milling About
Chapter Nineteen: YeeSSS
Chapter Twenty: Sinking In
Chapter Twenty One: Family Time
Chapter Twenty Two: Flight
Chapter Twenty Three: Speed
Chapter Twenty Four: Celebration
Chapter Twenty Five: Japan
Chapter Twenty Six: A bit (too much) of a party
Chapter Twenty Eight: Russia
Chapter Twenty Nine: Alone
Chapter Thirty: Return of the Beard
Chapter Thirty One: Shards
Chapter Thirty Two: It's All Innocent
Chapter Thirty Three: Should have known better
Chapter Thirty Four: NO!
Chapter Thirty Five: It's Over
Chapter Thirty Six: Break
Chapter Thirty Seven: Believe
Chapter Thirty Eight: Recovery
Chapter Thirty Nine: Ice
Chapter Forty: GO
Chapter Forty One: Home and not dry
Chapter Forty Two: Reality Check
Chapter Forty Three: Recovery
Chapter Forty Four: News
Chapter Forty Five: Reset
Chapter Forty Six: Recharge
Chapter Forty Seven: Lights Out
Chapter Forty Eight: Try
Chapter Forty Nine: Blank
Chapter Fifty: The Truth Comes Out
Chapter Fifty One: The Test
Chapter 52: Where We Left Off
New Chapter

Chapter Twenty Seven: Here

1.1K 47 7
By __highflying

I was awake very early. In fact, I'd hardly slept. I had been so terrified of Daniel wetting himself or throwing up in the bed (or having a seizure) that before I knew it, the sun was up.

I tried nestling back into the pillows and closing my eyes but it was no use. I knew I had a lot to do today- peeling vegetables was just the start of it all.

"Jesus," a groan from next to me caused me to reach for my mobile in case I had to dial the emergency services. Oh good God, I was going to end up kneeling by my fiance in intensive care all day and night. "Wait, what?"

"Are you okay?" I asked, sitting up and still annoyed once I knew he wasn't going to peg out.

"I...fuck," Daniel grabbed my hand and too sat up as if it had all come back to him. "I need to say I'm sorry. Real sorry."

"It's okay. You killed the rug and I got fifty minutes sleep but it's cool."

"Saskia," the grip he had on my hand tightened as he looked at me. His eyes, which were very bloodshot, were ringed with dark, dark circles. "I was a total jerk last night and got carried away. I should not have done that, no way. I'm seriously sorry."

I nodded. He wouldn't have done this on purpose; that was simply against his nature.

"Can you go brush your teeth and shower," I whispered, wiping an eyelash away from his cheek. "I hope you're alright for today."

"I'm sweet," he said, but I knew he had a killer headache.

Nodding once more, I left him to pull himself together as I went in the desperate search of coffee. I needed lots of it and rather quickly if I was to snap out of this foul mood. And if I was going to make it through the day without passing out in one of the flower beds. Uncool.

"Saskia, is that you?" Mum wandered into the kitchen, rubbing her eyes and yawning.

"Are you okay?" I asked for the second time in the space of five minutes.

"Your dad got drunk. Was sick in the bed covers." Mum sighed and slumped down in a chair whilst I switched the kettle onto boil. I telepathically told it to hurry the fuck up. "I don't know what he and Daniel were drinking."

"Whisky. And red wine, judging by the colour of Dan's vomit," I whispered, feeling my eyes prick with tears. The time on the clock said six thirty. "Lots of it."

"Don't be too annoyed with him, Sas."

"He completely destroyed your rug and I've slept for about three seconds. We're both a mess for this big party which you have all worked so hard for." I let a few tears slip, holding my head in my hands on the work top. This was more stressful than three media meltdowns put together.

I heard Mum's chair scrape across the tiles and soon she was giving me a much needed hug. "David told me last night, before he passed out, that Dan said you were his best friend. He said it's amazing that his...what's the word...homies are here, but you're his best friend. Soul mate."

"He said that?" I managed to stutter after a few seconds.

"He said that."

"Oh I love him so much!"

"I know you do. Your dad was a total dipshit by giving him his special whisky and then mixing with some red. I've told him off, don't worry." Mum grabbed two cups and I stopped her, so she put one back. "And I never liked that rug anyway."

"I need to go and apologise and make it right before he jumps...I mean drags himself in the shower. I'll be back down in a bit."

"Take your time," Mum smiled warmly, wiping a tear of mine away. "We've not got a lot of prep to do today. We're so lucky your cousins are chefs."

"See you later," I waved and darted up the staircase, before remembering that many people were most probably still asleep. Normal people should have been at not even seven in the morning. Quite frankly, anytime before half past eight when away from the Factory/ racetrack was considered nighttime.

Making sure I had the right door this time (after walking in on Joe and Sam in Portugal) I kicked it open (gently pushed down on the handle) and run inside. Unfortunately, because we had the French doors open, the bedroom door banged shut. Big oops.

Daniel quickly emerged from the bathroom, just in his Calvin Kleins. It was obvious that he was about to wash his hair.

"I brushed my teeth before you shout at me," he said, relieved that is was me that had caught him with his man parts very nearly on display.

"Not going to shout at you," I uttered and walked up to him. Before he or I could say anything else, I gently pressed my lips to his before things became very urgent very quickly.

"I'm sorry for being a massive dick," he said into my neck as he planted me on the bed, clambering on top of me.

"Sorry for shouting," I replied, trailing my fingers delicately along his abdomen. Multiple thrills of excitement shot through me. He was everything and more.

"I forgive you. But don't get annoyed again when we thrash your arse in the cricket game."

"Don't ruin it!"

"Just because it's true," he protested and moved his way down the bed.

---

"Urm, why the fuck is there a rug on the driveway?" Paul asked, scratching his chin. He was doing that more and more often now, ever since Lizzie had said it made him look attractive.

"Long story," I replied, shooing him away. Lizzie was trying to straighten my hair but Paul kept on getting in the way. "Daniel will tell you, I am sure."

"I'll go ask him." Paul rolled his eyes and strode out, the bedroom door banging again. People were going to absolutely hate me. "By the way, he's lost his shoes."

"How can he have lost his shoes?" Lizzie cried, waving the wand dangerously close to my face. I didn't want a burn mark on my forehead thank you very much.

"I think Jasper hid them or something..."

That was a very valid possibility, actually. Just yesterday he'd cried and cried when Dad had tried to take him for a walk. In the end, Daniel offered and as soon as he grabbed the lead, Jasper quickly made a full recovery. Daniel and dog had a great time- although white trainers had come back as brown trainers and one Australian was annoyed that he couldn't put them in the wash. He'd managed to read the label. Practically the modern-day equivalent of Einstein.

"Okay, we're done," Lizzie declared, straightening her dress down. It was pretty. "Give us a twirl!"

I obeyed, knowing she'd only protest until I did so. I felt good- my hair now looked fab, as did my make-up and my dress and shoes weren't too bad either.

"Thanks so much," I said, grinning. "I wanted to ask you something, actually."

"Sure, Paul and I didn't hear you and Daniel earlier, don't worry."

"Not that," I frowned, wondering how she knew anyway. Surely our grins at breakfast hadn't been that obvious?

"Oh." Lizzie sat down on the newly changed bed. Gone was the smell of red wine and whisky (thank you baby Jesus).

"What I wanted to ask you, was would you be bridesmaid for Daniel and I?"

She didn't reply, just bundled me in a suffocating hug, party ready or not. "Not maid of honour?" she eventually said, a bit disappointed.

"Don't fucking push it."

---

It was sunny. It was actually sunny- in England, in October!

"Ready, steady...go!" And so it began on Baz's command- the BBQ-off, England Vs Australia. Dad was representing the UK, whilst Paul was stepping up to the plate for Straya. It was tense.

Cheers were louder than a World Cup final as the rivalry became incredibly clear. A part of me wanted my Dad to win for us Poms, but the other half was firmly cheering on Baz. I know, I know, I am such a traitor.

"My snags are done!" Baz cried a couple of minutes later, causing the Aussie crowd to break out in cheers. Even though they were ever so slightly outnumbered, they made a hell of a lot of noise.

"Alright, let's stop and see," Natalie Pinkham commanded and reluctantly my Dad stepped away from his BBQ, defeated. "Okay, Baz...yes, they're done! We have a winner!"

Cue more cheers and a bit of swearing. Daniel got a glare, don't worry (even though the glare came from my cousin for swearing in front of Olivia).

"Okay, that makes the scores one-all at the moment. I believe Daniel and Saskia wanted to say a few words before the decider later- The Ashes," Natalie finished, patting Baz on the back. He was looking way, way too smug with himself.

Daniel did his signature grin before taking my hand and leading me to the front of the gathering. There was a lot of friends and family here, so many that it was a miracle they'd all found parking. Even if some of it was a teeny tiny bit illegal, but I wasn't going to tell anyone.

"Ah, we didn't actually realise we had to do a bit of a speech until this morning so nothing is prepared, sorry guys," Daniel laughed, looking down at me, still smiling. He looked like a God. But better. "Saskia n I just wanna say cheers for coming down here, or flying twenty-four hours...either way, it means a lot to us both."

More cheers, this time from the 'English' and the 'Aussie' lot...oh and 'The Rest of the World' which included the Massa's, Hulk, and Coulthard. Scotland wasn't part of the UK according to Daniel, and he had remained adamant of that until Mum had kindly shown him where Scotland was on the map. He'd discovered Wales, too.

"Big thank you to Sandra and David for your hospitality, to everyone who helped put the marquee up, decorate, cook...and most importantly, to Saskia for being bloody awesome."

I looked back up at Daniel and gave him a friendly punch in the stomach. Rock hard. The absolute bastard!

"Thank you," I echoed, grinning like a loon on super-loon tablets. "Oh, and we've set a date...ish- Winter next year. So see you all there, or be square..." WHY HAD I JUST SAID THAT? WHO EVEN SAYS THAT?

Thankfully, everyone whooped and cheered and Mum was able to direct everyone inside for food.

"What the fuck," Daniel whispered, clearly amused. "Be there or be square? Jeez, I love you."

---

The party was brilliant. Music had played and people had danced until the early hours of the morning. Even if England had lost to the Australians. Turns out they had been practising their bowling. Mind you, so had I...on the Wii. Unfortunately, it is not the same thing when you have Paul screaming "THAT WAS A FUCKING LBW!" at you in the darkness. My innings had been very short lived.

Talking of Australians, half had departed for Europe whilst the likes of Dan's parents were seeing friends in London before we all flew out to Sochi together.

And talking of my Australian, he was running up the driveway whilst I watched him from the balcony of the bedroom the following afternoon. He'd been out for a run.

"Saskia?" he panted, "SAS? Saskia!"

"Daniel, are you okay?" That was my Mum shouting now, carrying the washing basket. I could clearly see multiple pairs of my parent's undies and I was about to die with embarrassment. My dad had a pair of novelty pants with brussel sprouts on.

"I'm fine, Mrs White. Have you seen Sas?" was the innocent reply, not as loud but still urgent. It must have been serious- he didn't have his earphones in.

"I think she's upstairs," Mum replied but before she could finish I heard footsteps on the stairs. I decided that it was best to go out and meet him before he collapsed.

"Daniel?" I called, emerging into the landing. Had he got stung by a nettle again?

"Ah, there you are!" he took a few more steps forward to grab my hand and then we were off. "I wanna show you something."

"It's not another duck pond, is it?"

"Shut the fuck up," he sniggered so I did- partly because he was walking so goddamn fast. Even Daniel was finding it difficult to keep up with Daniel!

Out the drive we went and turned left on the road, then another left down the narrow lane a short while after that. All I knew was that we were heading a rather strange way to the harbour.

Ah no, wait...

Daniel stopped and looked relieved that we'd made it. He led me down a small pathway and stopped again.

"A church?" I said, a bit confused. It was vaguely familiar with it from the odd service at Christmas now we were here.

"Yeah!" he replied, "but this is the best bit." Down through the churchyard we went and come out in a meadow. It was beautiful and now just because the sun was shining.

"I remember this place now, but there used to be fencing so you couldn't see the boats and harbour and sea and-"

"Saskia?" Daniel cut me off, taking my hand quite tightly. "I want to get married here. I want to marry you here...it's perfect."

"Not Perth?" I stuttered, taken back. "Just here? In Cornwall?"

"This is the place, I know it."

And he was right- this was the place. It was perfect for us.

Would be so super amazing if you voted:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 176 15
Iris May Alexandria Tran was not new to the Formula 1 world. Her best friend was the one and only Daniel Ricciardo. With the recent comeback to Alpha...
109K 2.7K 74
⚠️ Warning, this story contains smut ⚠️ Reunited with her best friends after years apart 2021 was going to a great year, Melissa could feel it. A n...
29.9K 640 21
"I don't wanna see him, I can't. I'd never be able to look in his eyes again, because all I would think about is how it was all my fault." Celine Val...
565K 17.1K 57
𝗶𝘀𝗻'𝘁 𝗶𝘁 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝗼 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝘁𝘁𝘆 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸, 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗮𝗹𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝗶𝗻𝘃𝗶𝘀𝗶𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝘆𝗶�...