The Road Ahead (A Hunter Haye...

By Nethii120700

❝Kids who enter 'adulthood' without any strong attachments to people who know and care about them have a roug... More

The Road Ahead (A Hunter Hayes Fanfiction, Book 4 of The Hardships Saga)
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six

Chapter Seven

249 24 25
By Nethii120700

❝sing (pronounced sɪŋ or as spelled), verb
to make a vocal tune.
e.g. I need you, darling, c'mon set the tone, if you feel you're falling, won't you let me know?❞

Phoenix scrawled a rough picture of the Big Ben from where he was sitting, looking at it. Robin and Spencer had wanted ice-cream, and so Hunter had gone with them to get some. Spencer had struggled to explain that he wanted a popsicle- he kept calling it an 'ice lolly' or something. He could see them from where he was, they were only a few metres away. He smiled again at the bag that Hunter was letting him hold- the bag with the many metallic paints that he had wanted for such a long time, along with some more things he had been asking for from that amazing art store. "Papa, can I have the red one?"

"I want white!"

"Raspberry and lemon, please," said Hunter. "Nick?"

"Cola," he said quietly, not looking up.

"And Cola, too," said Hunter, paying for the popsicles.

"Here you are, sir."

"Thank you, mister!" said Robin cheerfully.

The shopkeeper smiled at her, and the three of them left the place. Spencer tugged on Hunter's arm, and he lifted him up. He giggled. "Papa, look!"

"That's right! That's Big Ben, isn't it?"

"Yeah! It's nice, huh?"

"It's very nice." Hunter ruffled Robin's hair. "How's the popsicle?"

"It's good," she said. "Thank you."

"Well?" he said, sitting down. "Are you guys all having fun?"

"Yeah!" said Spencer.

"And you, Nick?"

"Yep."

"That's good. What have you drawn?"

"Just the clock tower."

"Oh, okay. It looks good!"

"Thanks."

"Are we ready to go home now?"

"Yeah, okay," said Phoenix.

"Yay! Mama's gonna make pizza!"

"She is?" said Hunter, kissing his cheek. "Is she gonna let you put your own toppings?"

"Yeah! I always put ham and cheese! And tomato sauce!"

"Yeah? Robbie, what do you want on yours?"

"I want... I want onions and beef."

"And you, Nick?"

"Anything's fine," he said distractedly, glancing at a nearby pigeon and scrawling a quick picture of the interesting pattern on its wing. It was by no means perfect- he needed time to draw something properly- but if he had a brief memory, he could usually draw very well. He had a good memory.

Hunter was used to never getting a full answer from him, and didn't press him to speak. It made him uncomfortable to talk more than he needed to, and though that could be a pain sometimes, it was almost a good thing. He didn't know how well he could handle two angry children, let alone one. Not that Phoenix was angry... he just didn't really emote at all.

They got into a taxi, and Hunter texted Ryan.

Hunter: Hey where are you?

Ryan: just got back home, Elle's gonna help me make pizza

Hunter: sounds awesome :) I love you <3

Ryan: I love you, too <3

Hunter sighed slightly, putting his phone back into his pocket. Phoenix was silently watching out the window, and Robin was singing some random song that she had just made up, much to Spencer's amusement.

When they got home, Hunter was surprised to hear laughter. The kids all ran off to play a game, and he made his way to the kitchen, slightly cautious.

"Oh, you look fantastic."

"Shh, I'm a warrior now!"

Ryan laughed. "Very nice. Though I think your camouflage is a bit messy."

"Don't be ridiculous, I'm perfectly camouflaged! You can't see me!" She laughed, and Hunter looked through into the kitchen. Elle's hair was tied up into a bun, and she was laughing hysterically with Ryan. After her moodiness the past few years, it was strange to see her genuinely happy.

He walked into the kitchen, and Ryan smiled at Hunter, sighing. "Hey, love. Ellie and I were just messing around with the flour." She and Elle both had battle streaks of flour on their faces, and Elle was flushed red from laughing.

"I can see that," he said. "How was your day?"

"I might actually scrape a B this time, Pa," said Elle, sounding proud. "Ma helped me so much."

"That's amazing!" said Hunter. "I'm glad. But you know, you only need to try your best. Don't worry about the grades, you know I don't mind."

"Yeah, I do."

Hunter glanced at Ryan with a confused look. Why was Elle so happy? She just smiled silently and winked. "Wanna help us with the pizza?"

"Yeah... sure..."

The pizza was soon finished, and Elle left eventually to finish her studies. Hunter just looked at Ryan, and she glanced up from the dishes she was washing. "What?"

"What did you say to her?"

"I explained what she wanted to know."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Don't worry," she said gently, reaching up on her toes and framing his face, kissing his nose. "She's happy. I explained to her what she didn't understand, and now she's happy."

"I don't know how you do it," he mumbled, kissing her deeply. "Thank you."

"I'm just glad that she'll trust someone," said Ryan softly. "Even if it's just me."

"I'm glad she trusts you, then. What does it matter if it's just you? At least she won't be so bottled up anymore."

"It's something, at least," she agreed. "She seems happy with me again."

"Ain't that something," he said softly.

They stood there for a while, saying nothing and holding each other. They felt warm, and the snow fell softly outside. He kissed her forehead gently. "I missed you so much, my dove."

"I've missed you, too."

"I love you so much, darling."

"I love you more."

He smiled slightly. "Excited for Christmas?"

"Of course. It'll be nice to have you guys around for once." She sighed slightly. "I've been getting nervous about the exams, though."

"Oh, don't be nervous. I know you'll do spectacularly."

"That's very sweet, but I should likely be studying."

"I'll do the rest, I know how to put the toppings and stuff on pizza. It's how many degrees in the oven?"

"A hundred and eighty degrees should do."

He blinked. "Uh... just a hundred and eighty? Don't you usually put it in at like, three hundred and fifty? One hundred and eighty is... kinda cold, honestly."

Ryan laughed. "Oh, right. American measurements are imperial. We use the metric system here, remember? Put it in at three hundred and fifty, that's the same thing is one-eighty in Celsius."

He laughed as well. "Sorry, I forgot. That's so weird, that you use metric here."

She gave him a kiss. "Literally only Americans use imperial measurement when it comes to weather and temperature, Hunter. It's weird that you use imperial there, not the other way around."

"Yeah, yeah, silly old American me," he said, making her laugh.

"You're my favourite silly old American," she said, kissing his nose and making him smile. "I love you."

"I love you, too. Go on, now. Study."

"Yes, Papa," she said jokingly, hugging him once, before leaving the kitchen.

He watched after her for a moment. Wow, he thought to himself silently. I'm the luckiest guy in the world. He began getting out the cheese and meats and began chopping up some vegetables to put on the pizza, too.

Spencer toddled into the kitchen. "Hi Papa!"

"Hey, pumpkin," he said, leaning down to kiss the top of his head. "What're you doing?"

"I came to say hi!"

"Sit down here, then. We can start making the pizzas in a bit."

"Yay!" He climbed onto his chair and grinned at Hunter. "I like pizza!"

"Yeah? That's good."

"We can have chips as well?"

"Yeah, why not? Is there some in the freezer?"

"I dunno!"

He opened the freezer and found some frozen chips, which he put in the oven. "It's okay to be unhealthy sometimes, isn't it, Spence?"

"Yeah!"

Robin also trailed into the kitchen. "Hi, Papa."

"Hey! Are you hungry?"

"Yeah, I guess."

He frowned. "Is something wrong?"

"No."

"Hey, you know you can talk to me or Mama whenever you want, don't you?"

"Yeah. It's nothing. I'll tell you later."

Hunter had a suspicion that he knew what was bothering Robin, but said nothing. He'd speak to Ryan later. It didn't matter right now. She was studying, anyway, and she didn't need any distractions.

He and the kids made the pizzas together, and though he was tired from the jet-lag, he was happy. The kids were excitedly talking about Christmas, and Hunter had brought all of their gifts over from America from 'Santa'. Of course, Elle and Phoenix knew better, but Robin and Spencer were still young, and still eagerly awaited his arrival.

Eventually, after tucking the kids in and kissing them all good night, Hunter walked into Ryan's room, where she had a single light on, and music playing quietly from her speaker. A new song had just started, and she was singing along quietly. "I really can't stay..."

"Baby, it's cold outside," Hunter sang back, and she turned around in shock, but kept singing, though a smile grew on her face.

"I've got to go away..."

"Baby, it's cold outside..."

"This evening has been..."

"Been hoping that you'd drop in..."

"So very nice..."

"I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice," Hunter sang, taking her hands and helping her to her feet. She twirled away from him, laughing slightly, and he went after her.

"My mother will start to worry..."

"Beautiful, what's your hurry?"

"Father will be pacing the floor..."

"Listen to the fireplace roar..."

"So really I'd better scurry..."

"Beautiful, please don't hurry..."

"Maybe just a half a drink more..."

"Put some records on while I pour..."

They held hands and began to waltz around the small room. "The neighbors might think-"

"Baby, it's bad out there..."

"Say, what's in this drink?"

"No cabs to be had out there..."

"I wish I knew how..."

"Your eyes are like starlight now..."

"To break this spell..."

"I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell," he sang, tucking a strand behind her ear.

"I ought to say no, no, no..."

"Mind if I move in closer?"

"At least I'm gonna say that I tried..."

"What's the sense in hurting my pride?"

"I really can't stay..."

"Baby don't hold out..."

"Ah, but it's cold outside," they sang in unison, and laughed. He leaned in and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips.

"How was your studying?"

"Could be better, I suppose," she said, chuckling slightly. "I'm quite tired."

"Me, too. I forgot how hard it was to look after four kids."

"You're not too tired, I hope," she said, unbuttoning the top button of his shirt and letting a finger trail down his bare chest.

He rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Of course not," he said, chuckling. "Whatever gave you that idea?"

She kissed him deeply, pushing him onto the bed. "Merry Christmas, Hunter," she breathed into his ear.

"Merry Christmas, Ryan," he whispered back, before kissing her.

<><><><><><><><>

Hunter woke up to quiet mumbling. "N-No... please..."

"Honey?" he muttered, trying to wake up fully.

"Hunt... Hunter..."

He opened his eyes. "Ry? What's wrong?"

"No!"

He tried to shake her. "Ryan, wake up!" he whispered. "Wake up!"

"Leave him alone! Don't hurt him!"

"Ryan!"

She screamed, sitting up and her eyes flying open. Hunter clapped a hand over her mouth, trying to muffle her. When she struggled, he hissed, "It's me! It's me, calm down!"

Her terrified green eyes focused on him, and she stopped struggling. "Okay," he said. "If I take my hand off your mouth, do you promise not to scream?"

She nodded silently, and he took his hand away. She let out a shaky breath. "What happened?" he asked softly.

"Nightmare. Just a nightmare."

"You were saying my name..."

"No, no. Don't worry-"

"Ryan. Tell me now."

"It's not important, Hunter, I promise."

"I don't care if it's important or not, Ry. I want to know what your dream was about."

She pulled the blanket up to her chest, as though suddenly shy. "I've seen you a million times before, Ry, come on," he said. "We just slept together for God's sake."

"I know, I just... I know." She sighed, lying back down, and he did the same, pulling her closer. She breathed in his intoxicating scent, of pine and aftershave and that one scent she could never really place. She didn't care what it was- she absolutely loved it. She buried her face into the crook of his neck, and he stroked her bare back until she was breathing steadily again.

"What's wrong?" he breathed.

"They... just get frequent with stress. I promise you, my darling, that's all it is."

"Tell me what it was about. That's all I ask of you. I promise you, with all my heart, that is all I ask of you."

She didn't reply, and he whispered, "Please."

"It... was... Peter. And you were there... I don't know why, but you... and then... he turned the gun on you... and he... he just..."

"You're shaking."

"I'm not-"

"Yes, you are. Honey, I thought you said these nightmares-"

"I told you. They frequent with stress. I'm fine, I swear."

He sat up slightly, pulling her up with him, so that they were both sitting there, watching the silhouettes of the snowfall outside. Ryan sighed slightly, nuzzling against his chest. "I'm sorry I woke you."

"No problem." A thought occurred to him. "This is why you call me in the middle of the night sometimes, isn't it? Because you have a nightmare, and you need to hear my voice to know it wasn't real?"

She didn't respond.

They sat there for a while longer, and Ryan began to shiver. "It's quite cold, isn't it?" she said.

"Mmm," he said, kissing her gently. "I'll keep you warm, my dove."

She was silent. Then, she said, "I've been feeling guilty, Hunt."

"Why?"

"For... for leaving. I feel like Robbie especially... she resents me. I took only Spencer. I shouldn't have left at all."

"I'm not gonna lie, honey. She likely does. She's feeling left out, and Nick too, because you left them behind when you came here with just Spencer. I mean, we both know why that was, because you didn't want them to have to change schools all so suddenly, but they don't understand that. They're kids."

She looked downcast, and he said, "Listen. I don't know what it was that you said to Elle, but she loves you now, doesn't she?"

"I guess, but that could go backwards in a second."

"I know you. And you can make anyone, absolutely anyone, love you to pieces. I promise you that."

Not Dahlia, she thought to herself.

"Dahlia was a different case," he said.

"Did I say it out loud?"

"Yeah, you did." He chuckled. "Why don't you try and get some sleep, and I'll put the Christmas presents under the tree for the kids?"

She nodded, lying down. "I love you, Hunt."

"I love you more, Ry." He hugged her, before helping her lie back down. "I'll put the presents under the tree."

"Hand me your shirt before you go."

He laughed. "Of course. I'll go out and buy you some of your own shirts soon, okay?"

"They don't smell like you, though," she said, and he laughed again.

"You're so obsessed with me," he teased.

She smiled slightly, and he kissed her gently. "Sleep, my darling. I'll be right back."

Slowly, her eyes drifted shut again, and she fell back asleep, reassured by the warm presence beside her.

*A/N: Vote levels are low, and that's saying something, considering you lot seem to really hate voting. So, anyone you know who read KOW, tell them that TRA is here.

VOTE, COMMENT AND FOLLOW!!!!!

Nethii <3*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 422 48
I didn't think I would ever find someone who would actually love me. I always felt so worthless and pitiful. It was like there was no actual reason t...
1.9K 124 24
Hunter never had the luxury of knowing who her Companion was going to be. And even if she could've guessed, she would never have guessed correctly. E...
10.2K 564 29
When the odds are stacked against you it can be easy to give in. Andrea Kent isn't one of those people, but there are reasons for that. Her younger s...
6.7K 861 50
"People are like hounds, they sniff out your weakness, play with your pain, and will hunt you down until you worship them." WARNING: in some chapters...