You Know I'm Such a Fool for...

By dinhadb

Vicky is a 17 year old girl who has a dedicated mom, a best friend she loves, Leah, and an ‘almost’ boyfriend... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue

Chapter 32

86.3K 897 116
By dinhadb

Hi, guys.

This chapter is dedicated to SarahHorn because she entered the Wattpad contest and made this amazing pic with Adrian’s name. Thank you so much!

Well, people, I tried my best to edit this chapter and find the mistakes and everything, but my eyes are closing and I can’t stop yawning. I don’t think I did a good job, but I’m so tired… And it’s only Monday! I don’t know how I’ll survive the rest of the week…

Chapter 32

Adrian

I was drinking a glass of water in the kitchen debating with myself if I should call Vicky or just show up at her door, when Leah came in. She looked sad and instantly I knew there was something wrong.

“What happened?” I questioned.

“Nothing,” she lied. I knew her too well to believe her.

I shook my head. “Where were you?” I demanded, trying to figure out what was bothering her.

“At Vicky’s,” she said quietly.

My heart sank. There was only one thing that could upset her and Vicky too. “She got the scholarship, didn’t she?”

Leah nodded slightly, refusing to look into my eyes. “I’m sorry Adrian, she should be the one to tell you.”

“It’s okay, Leah, don’t worry about it,” I said, but my mind was somewhere else. Even though Vicky’s just got a scholarship to an amazing universality, I knew she must be wondering what’s going to happen with us. We never talked about it before, we were waiting for the official letter. “How is she?” I finally asked.

“I don’t know, she left and didn’t say where she was going,” Leah explained.

She left? She’s probably thinking about it, but there was nothing I could do for now. Our conversation would have to wait, I just hoped she would be okay.

Part of me was really happy for her. The University Of Chicago was a great opportunity and I was so proud of her, but it definitely made things complicated for us.

I’ve been thinking about what I would do if she had to move away, and between all the possibilities, stay away from her wasn’t an option.

The only problem was that my dad was really happy about having me working with him. I know he and Daniel would be able to relax a bit if I was helping them. Of course, I wouldn’t take their places, but it’s so hard to find someone you can trust and I was well trained so I knew I could do a good job there.

But I just couldn’t be apart from Vicky during all those years. Chicago is just too far, I can’t just drive there whenever I need to see her, but it didn’t make it less painful what I had to do. I would disappoint my dad and maybe even Leah, who was watching me while I was thinking.

“You’re going with her, aren’t you?” Leah asked sadly.

“Please Leah, don’t be mad at me. I’ll talk to dad, I’ll make him understand why I can’t stay,” I pleaded. It was hard enough to disappoint dad and I just couldn’t stand the fact that I would hurt her as well.

“Don’t worry Adrian, I understand you, I really do, and dad will too. And just so you know, I would do the same if I were you,” she said, resting her hand over mine.

I closed my eyes and sighed in relief. “Thanks Leah, it means a lot to me,” I confessed. “I have to talk to dad.”

“Good luck,” she whispered squeezing my hand a little.

I got up and went to look for dad. I didn’t have much time; I needed to talk to him so I could finally tell Vicky about my plans. He was in his study reading some papers.

“Dad, can I talk to you?” I asked.

“Sure son, have a seat.”

I was feeling sick. How the hell was I going to do that? I didn’t say anything for a few moments, I couldn’t find the words. Dad just stared at me expectantly.

“Well?” He demanded, but I didn’t have the courage to talk. My heart was speeding in my chest and the fear of letting him down was too strong. He sighed and talked again “Let me guess, you wanted to tell me you’re moving to Chicago with Vicky?” he questioned me seriously.

I was shocked. “How did you know?”

“Leah told me she was waiting for an answer about a scholarship there. I talked to your mother and she agreed with me that you would probably want to go with her,” he explained.

“Wow,” I was all I managed to say. He still didn’t show any emotion, so I didn’t know what he was thinking. The anticipation was killing me.

“Son, it’s a huge step. Are you sure that’s what you want?” Dad finally spoke, his face blank.

“Dad, I know I was going to help you and Daniel working in the company and I’m sorry, I really am, but I can’t stay here while Vicky’s so far away,” I said in a rush.

“That’s not what I’m talking about. What I’m saying that moving with your girlfriend to Chicago is something big. She’s only 18, Adrian. Are you sure you’re both ready for that?”

Was he trying to give me a heart attack? Was he avoiding the subject on purpose? I needed to know how he felt about it! “Dad, I would marry her in a heartbeat if she was older. I’m sure she feels the same,” I told him.

“And where are you going to live? Are you moving in together or will she live in the campus?”

Oh man, I wanted to talk to him about this, explain that I wasn’t some crazy stalker, but couldn’t he tell me what was on his mind first?

“I don’t know dad, I haven’t talked to her about it.” In fact, I haven’t talked to her about me going to Chicago at all.

He still wouldn’t say anything. “Dad, would you please tell me what you think about me not being able to work with you?” I desperately demanded.

“Hum,” he mumbled taking off his glasses and putting them on the table. “Do you remember Jeff? We had a video conference with him a couple of weeks ago,” dad asked.

I nodded, not really knowing where this conversation was going. Jeff was one of his friends from college who has a few construction companies like dad’s. He and dad sometimes work together when there’s a real big project. 

“He just opened a new office in Chicago and was complaining about how he can’t find a trustworthy engineer to work with him,” dad told me casually with a half smile on his face. My eyes widened, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Dad’s smile grew bigger at my reaction. He leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table. “I was thinking I could give him a call and see if the position is still open.”

I swear I almost cried at that. I closed my eyes allowing myself to relax for the first time since I found out Vicky got the scholarship. “Thank you dad, thank you so much. I didn’t want to disappoint you, but I really need to be with Vicky,” I explained.

Dad seemed surprised at that. “I’m not disappointed, son. Actually, I’m proud of you. You know what you want and you’re fighting for it,” he said smiling.

I got up to leave but paused at the door and spoke “You know, dad, Luke’s grades were always as good as mine,” I said. Dad knew Luke and always liked him, so maybe it was a good idea for dad to hire Luke.

“Really?” he raised an eyebrow. “Maybe we should give him a call, but we can talk about this later.” 

Feeling like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders, I got out of the room.

Leah was sitting on the couch when I came to the living room. One look at my face and she was jumping up and down and clapping her hands. “I told you he would understand,” she bragged herself.

“He’s even going to help me find a job in Chicago,” I explained.

“You’re going to Chicago?” My mom asked from the doorway, sounding really sad.

Oh god, I was so worried about dad that I haven’t thought about what my mom would think of me moving out. She’s used to having me and Leah around and all of a sudden we both we are going away. I can see why she’s sad.

I walked to where she was standing and took her hands in mine. “Mom, Vicky got a scholarship to the University of Chicago and I love her too much to let her go, so I’m going with her.”

“So I’m going to lose you two,” she whispered.

“You’re not gonna lose us, mom!” Leah assured her.

“Yeah, mom, we’re still going to come here to visit you.”

“But it won’t be the same!” She complained like a school girl.

“I’m sorry, mom but I promise I’ll call you all the time,” I told her.

“That’s okay honey I just want you to be happy,” mom said, but I could tell she was still upset. I can’t blame her and I’ll try everything to make it easier for her. I’m sure she’ll get used to the idea.

I gave her a hug. “Thanks mom.”

“Does Rose know about this?”

“No,” and I really wanted to talk to Vicky first. I was already feeling guilty because everybody but her knew I was moving to Chicago too.

For a brief moment I wondered if she would want me to go with her. I went cold with dread for a second but quickly dismissed the idea. She loves me, she’ll want to stay with me, I’m sure of it.

I could hardly wait to tell her, I was so excited! I was feeling like a kid who just won his first bicycle as a Christmas present.

Now that everything was settled, I was still feeling bad, but eager to have my own place. Even if she has to stay in the campus, we would have more privacy.

I said goodbye to my mom and Leah and ran outside to Vicky’s house. I noticed her car wasn’t there and that got me worried. She didn’t come back yet, but why?

Before I could ring the bell, I took my cell phone out of my pocket and dialed her number. She didn’t answer. What’s going on? Vicky must be wondering what we’re going to do now. She must be suffering so much, I need to find her.

I decided to talk to Rose first, maybe she knew something. She didn’t take long to open the door, but she looked worried too. Damn, she doesn’t know where Vicky is, I can tell.

“Hey Adrian. Vicky isn’t here, but come in,” she told me opening the door for me.

“Do you know where she is?” I couldn’t help but ask. I need to talk to her, tell her that everything’s going to be alright.

“No she left as soon as she got the news…” She trailed off, as if realizing I wasn’t supposed to know about this. She took a deep breath and spoke, “She got the scholarship, Adrian.”

“I know, Leah told me. How did Vicky receive the news?”

She looked genuinely sad about this. I know she understood what Vicky and I felt for each other, but she needed to choose what was best for her daughter and I agreed with her.

“Come in, let’s talk inside.” She led me to the kitchen, where we sat on the chairs. I kept waiting for an answer. She sighed before replying my question, “She didn’t took it very well, she wanted to refuse it but I can’t let her do that, Adrian and I’m sure you’ll understand that.”

“Of course I understand. She deserves the best education she can have and I wouldn’t let her turn down this opportunity.” I said the truth. “So, she ran away when you said she has to go to Chicago?”

“Yes. I’m sorry Adrian. I know the separation will be hard for you.”

“There won’t be a separation,” I announced.

“What? I thought I said you agreed with me about her going to Chicago,” she asked confused.

“I do, but I’m going with her,” I explained. I mentally groaned. Is there someone who doesn’t know about it? Vicky will be the last to know!

“What?” Rose had huge eyes.

“I’m going to find a job in Chicago so I can live there with Vicky,” I explained.

“But I thought you were going to work here with your father.”

“Yes, but I already talked to him and he’s okay with it,” I said smiling at the thought.

“Does Vicky know about this?” She questioned.

I shook my head. “No, that’s why I need to talk to her.” And soon. She needed to know about this!

“I’m gonna try to call her,” she said, already dialing Vicky’s number. She also realized that Vicky was suffering for no good reason. “She doesn’t answer,” she announced after a few moments. “But I’m sure she’ll call me back.”

I nodded. I just wanted to talk to Vicky, hold her so she could relax knowing that nothing was going to happen.

“So, what are your plans?” Rose asked me.

“What plans?” It was my turn to be confused.

“Well, if you’re going to Chicago, you need to think how you’re going to do this,” she explained. “Where are you going to work or live?”

“Well, dad will try to talk to a friend who just opened a new office there. I’ll probably work with him,” I told her, but I didn’t forget about the ‘where you’re going to live’ part of the question.

“Well, that’s good, but where are you gonna live?”

I really needed to talk to Vicky, but since I was here waiting for her, I might talk to her mother already. “Well, I was thinking. Vicky’s scholarship doesn’t cover the costs with accommodations does it?

“No,” she said patiently, but I could tell she already knew where this was going.

“So maybe Vicky and I could share an apartment?” It sounded so much like a question. Maybe because her mother clearly had to agree with it.

“Yeah I could see that coming,” she joked and I felt like I was a young teenager boy again. “But the thing is, Adrian, I don’t have much money and I don’t want Vicky to work while she’s still studying, so I can’t pay for a fancy place. So, if you want to share an apartment, and I’m gonna pay for half of its costs, it has so be a small one,” she told me.

Geez, that wasn’t what I was expecting at all! Won’t she complain about me moving in with Vicky while she’s still so young?

“That wasn’t what was worrying me at all. I don’t care about the money, I’m sure I’ll be able to cover all the bills.” Man, I was in heaven.

“Did you really think I wouldn’t like the idea of you two moving in together?” She asked amusedly.

“Yeah, I did,” I told her still surprised.

She laughed at that. “Adrian, she’s 18. You two could run away and get married if you wanted to; I’m just giving my consent. Besides, do you think I don’t know that you spend the night here every time I’m working?”

That did it, I blushed. Yeah, I knew she probably was aware of that, but this is so embarrassing. It’s her house after all.

She laughed again. “It’s ok Adrian. I don’t mind. And I’m actually glad that you’ll be going with her to Chicago, so she won’t be alone.”

“Yeah, me too.” I replied happily. At this point I couldn’t stop smiling. Well, at least until I remembered Vicky still didn’t know about any of this. 

“So, do you think you know where she is?” Rose asked.

“No, she didn’t tell me anything. She didn’t even answer my phone calls.” I tried again and nothing. That was really upsetting me. Why doesn’t she want to talk to me? I know she must be scared right now, but why didn’t she come to me to talk about it? It hurts to know that she ran away instead of talking to me.

“I better go. Can you please tell her I was here and that I want to talk to her?” I asked.

“Sure. And Adrian?” I looked up at her, “Don’t worry, she’ll be fine.”

I just nodded willing myself to believe it and went to the front door, not bothering to wait for her. I looked at my watch. It was five p.m. on a Saturday. Where did she go?

Suddenly I knew the answer. I wasn’t sure, but I had to try. I quickly went home and grabbed my car keys. I drove to a place we go sometimes. I used to take her there even before we started dating. It was a cliff with a beautiful view and I used to go there just to watch it and think.

Sure enough, when I was close enough, I saw her car. I sighed relieved, parking my car besides hers and got out to find her. She was sitting beneath a tree looking at the mountains. She didn’t look at me but I’m sure she knew I was there.

Without saying anything I sat beside her and saw how pale she was. Her eyes were red and I knew she’s been crying. My heart broke in that moment. I wanted to go back in time and change the events that lead to this.

“V., it’s ok. Everything it’s going to be ok.” I tried to reassure her, but she still didn’t move, so I tried again “V., I know you’ve got the scholarship and that you’re going to Chicago, but you don’t have to worry, because I’m coming with you,” I explained cheerfully, hopping it would make her happy, but it didn’t. Vicky’s only response was to close her eyes as if the idea pained her. “What’s wrong V., talk to me, are you ok?” I demanded. I was scared now because I was sure she would like to know I was going with her and if that didn’t work, I didn’t know what to do.

For the first time since I arrived Vicky looked at me. She looked hurt and scared as well and I wanted to hold her so bad, but she was staying away from me and I would respect that.

“I’m fine, but can we talk about this later?” she finally said.

“Sure, is that’s what you want, but I want you to know that you’re not alone in this. I won’t leave you, I’m coming with you.” I told her, relieved that she seemed a little more like her normal self.

“Please, Adrian, let’s talk about something else,” Vicky asked weakly.

“Of course,” I responded and pulled her to my lap. She instantly wrapped her arms around my neck and rested her head on my shoulder. It felt so good to hold her like this.

I was feeling a lot better because now she wouldn’t be thinking we were going to be away from each other. I didn’t know why she didn’t want to talk about it and it made me a little uneasy, but she probably was feeling bad that I was going to leave at the same time as Leah. We could talk when she was ready and I would explain my plans. Everything was going to be fine.

“Do you remember the first time you brought me here? I was so happy I was the first girl you brought here,” she said quietly near my ear.

I tightened my grip around her and spoke, “Yeah, you said you wouldn’t be using the blanket I had in my car but in the middle of the night we were beneath the sheets!” I joked. Actually, nothing happened that night, she just got cold and I used the blanket to cover us.

“Hey! We didn’t even kiss that night!” Vicky protested.

I laughed. “I know V. I’ll never forget that night.”

She laughed with me so I thought it was safe to ask, “Why didn’t you answer your phone?”

“I left it in the car,” she explained, but something in her voice made me think it didn’t happen by accident.

“Ok, but we were worried. Your mother’s probably still wondering where you are,” I told her.

“I’m sorry, Adrian. We should probably head home now. You’re right, mom must be worried,” she said and got up from my lap.

“Yeah, probably,” I agreed.

I got up too but she was already entering her car. Without another choice, I did the same and followed her. When we got there, Vicky got out of her car and I realized how much I wanted to kiss her, so I walked to where she was standing.

“Hey,” I said cupping her cheek. “Call me when you’re ready to talk, okay?” I asked and she nodded. “Good night, then,” I said and bended my head to kiss her.

She kissed me back throwing her hands around my neck and running her fingers through my hair. For some unknown reason, I felt like there was something wrong. I tried to figure out what it was, but the kiss was perfect, just the way I remembered.

I shook the feeling out of my mind. It was probably the stress of the day affecting me.

“Good night,” she said when we pulled apart and walked away to her house.

In fact, I didn’t want to let her go just yet. I wanted to spend more time with her, but I knew she didn’t feel the same and even though I needed to talk to her about our future, I didn’t want to push it too far.

I went to my house where everybody was watching TV. I usually enjoyed their company, but not today, so I greeted everyone and was already heading to my room when dad called me.

“Hey Adrian. I called Jeff and he said he wants to talk to you. Do you think you could go there in a couple of weeks?” Dad asked me.

Wow, these were good news! “Sure dad, just say the date.”

“I’ll talk to him and let you know tomorrow,” he replied.

“Thanks dad.” He nodded and I went upstairs, finally reaching my room.

It wasn’t too late, so I decided I could take care of Vicky’s present. After all, she and Leah would graduate next week and I wanted to make sure she had a nice surprise.

A/N: Guys, I wanted to thank you all for keep reading and supporting this story even though my English sucks! I’m so sorry about all the errors and mistakes, but I can’t find them all. I’ve read each chapter at least 4 times, but I know it’s not enough.

I also wanted to thank everyone who offered help to edit the story. I know I promised to send chapters to some of you, and I plan to do it, but I can’t find the time to organize my life! I’ve been working so much lately and I’m not getting enough sleep, but as soon as I have the time, I’ll work on it. This story is too important to me, so I’d love to get it edited.

So thank you, thank you, thank you, with all my heart, for all your support, for every vote, every comment, every message and offer to help. I can’t believe this story reached #9! I can’t describe how happy and grateful I am (and tired and sleepy… lol).

Claudia

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 92.9K 42
Vienna was loathed by her parents and her pack from the moment she was born because she was not supposed to be born a female. She was intended to be...
2.8K 64 34
Luna is a junior in high school who's mom took off when she was a little girl. Her dad works a lot so she takes care of her self which often gets her...
14.2K 567 26
***COMPLETED*** At 32 years old Alpha Alex is starting to lose hope of ever finding his mate. But just as he starts to believe the moon goddess has...
471K 12K 21
Blair Lucia Mason is 17 years old werewolf. She is outgoing, fearless and the daughter of a powerful alpha, Blane Mason of the Shadow Howlers Pack. A...