The Shadow Walker

By princesswithashotgun

Eda is a flight-risk mercenary with a bad track record. Living on half-payments from uncompleted jobs, she ho... More

Prologue
1. Half a Payment...Again
2. Gandalf's Pet
3. Gandalf's Pet's Nephew
4. Babysitting. Lovely.
5. Wishing for a Boat.
6. Bree. Not Much Improvement.
7. Meeting Gandalf's Pet
8. Oops.
9. Echoes of the Past
10. And, That's why I'm Here.
11. I'm Not Dead!!
12. Hi! Remember Me?
13. Plan B (Elladan)
14. I'm Officially Confused.
15. Late-Night Spelunking
16. Bored Equals Dangerous
17. In and Out
18. Apparently I Have a Conscience.
19. Playing With Fire
20. Bilbo's Legacy
21. Grouchy Elves
22. And, Here We Go.
23. Runaway Romance
24. Double Trouble
25. What did you do. Stop for Coffee??
26. Guest List
27. Touch-and-Go
28. Okay. I Don't Spelunk.
29. Spar of Princes
30. Havoc
31. Wait. What?
32. Another Adventure
33. Uncontrollable Variable
34. Releasing Fate
35. I Eat Crow, Not Crebain.
36. Where the Heart Leads
37. Precious Moments
38. Kiss the Girl
39. The Kraken, the Wizard, and the Cave
40. New Adventure
41. Truth Comes Out
42. Aragorn, Elected Peacemaker
43. Eye-Openers
44. Running
45. Survival
46. The Long Dark
47. Free...to Die?
48. Reunited
49. Nightmare
50. Awkward Silences
51. New Best Friend, Old Worst Enemy
52. Finally Understanding...?
53. Forgiveness (or Lack Thereof)
54. Some Things Bite You in the Butt
55. Truly Lost
56. On the Anduin
57. Planning. Bad Idea.
58. The Edge of a Knife
59. Music in the Night
60. Riders of Rohan
61. Village Healer
62. Mortality
63. The Time That is Given
64. Tula Nortor
65. The Trek
66. And, I Thought You Were Dead?
67. "Relationship" Issues
68. Wargs Make Bad Pets.
69. Alone
70. Words Finally Spoken
71. Honestly. Does Nobody Ever Stay Dead?
72. The Galadriel Factor
73. Galadhrim...and Friend
74. On the Wall
75. Off the Wall
76. Decisions
77. The Hardest Farewell
78. Difficult Choices
79. Whisperings
80. And, More Trouble
81. Coronation
82. Unwelcome Surprises
83. Naughty Dwarves are Disciplined.
85. Return of the Shadow Walker
86. Straight to the Castle
87. Messy Politics
88. Alliance Proposal
89. Actions, Reactions, Overreactions
90. Unexpected Reunion
91. The Pillowfight
92. The Talk
93. The Wedding
94. After Hours
95. Life Goes On
96. Call to Battle
97. Journey Into the Unknown
98. Strategies and Their Perils
99. Denethor's Rebellion
100. Woodland Magic
101. Family Domestic
102. The Day Before
103. Us
Epilogue
SNEAK PEEK - STARLESS

84. Puzzle Pieces

2.8K 167 118
By princesswithashotgun

The cold, echoing path to the dungeon was cold brought back too many memories. Memories of pain, fear, and a life I once believed I'd escaped. I was coming to realize, you can run from your demons, but you can never hide.

"Is something troubling you, Your Majesty?" Larika asked softly. Even in her distressed state of mind, she was still concerned with the thoughts and feelings of others.

A stab of guilt went through me. Why couldn't I be that selfless? Eru, she would probably make a better queen than I was.

"Nothing you need to concern yourself with, Larika," I answered.

We rounded a corner, and at the end of the corridor was a metal door and a Dwarf guarding it.

"Let us in," I said firmly.

The Dwarf immediately complied, pulling out a heavy-looking key and unlocking the door.

"I will need the keys to Dwalin's cell door and shackles, as well," I said.

The guard hesitated. "Forgive me, Your Majesty, but the ones that brought him instructed me to unshackle him."

I looked the guard in the eye for a long moment. It wasn't a big deal, in this case. But I couldn't allow this to become a habit. "This will not happen again. Do you understand?"

"Y-yes Your Majesty." He quickly pulled a key out of his pocket and handed it to me. "Th-the key to the c-cell. He's in the first to the le-left."

"You can go now," I said, brushing past the guard and going into the dungeon. "Don't bother coming back."

It hadn't changed much in the last fifty-plus years. Cold, well-lit, and remarkably clean. I went to the first cell on the left—ironically, the cell where Dwalin had left me on several occasions. I inserted the key in the lock and turned it, then pulled open the door.

Dwalin lay on his stomach on the thin cot, glaring up at me as we entered. I looked over his back, and winced.

"Larika, go get some water, some rags and bandages, and medicine."

"Yes, my lady," Larika said, and hurried out of the dungeon.

I waited until she was out of hearing range, then I walked into the cell.

"I thought it would be at least a couple of hours before you came to visit me," Dwalin said gruffly. He watched me warily as I walked to his side and looked over his torn back. Blood still oozed from the gashes, but they weren't deep.

"Oh, that's not bad," I said, quoting one of his favorite lines after he'd just whipped me. "You'll be good as new, in a couple of weeks."

Dwalin gave a dry scoff. "Are you happy, now that our roles have changed?"

"No," I said. "Revenge wasn't my goal."

"Of course not," Dwalin muttered. He tried to move, winced, and stilled.

"I did this to make a point," I said, crossing my arms over my stomach. "It was a power play; you know that."

Dwalin snorted. "Don't tell me you didn't get any satisfaction seeing me beaten like a dog."

"If this were about revenge," I said, raising my voice a notch, "I would have left you here to suffer for a few hours. Like you did to me." We glared at each other for a moment, then I sighed. "Either way, Dwalin, I'm calling it even now. I'm letting all of that go. You are now my most trusted councilor, and I am your beloved Queen. Clear?"

Dwalin gave me a hard look for a long moment, then nodded. "As you wish, Your Majesty."

I nodded in return. "Now, tell me about Larika. Why did the Court react to her being my maid? And why in Eru's name did you actually stand up for her?"

"Durin."

I frowned. "What?"

"Durin's name," Dwalin said, frowning back. "You've got to stop using those blasted Elvish curses. It's a disgrace to your father and great-uncle."

Scowling, I said, "I hardly doubt my father would mind."

"Nonetheless, none of us here will appreciate it in the slightest."

A silence fell over us, and I mentally backtracked, trying to figure out how we'd gotten here. I'd asked Dwalin about...

"Larika?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Yes, My Lady?"

I jumped guiltily as Larika entered the cell, balancing a bowl of water in one hand as she clutched bandages, rags, and medicine in the other. "Ah, Larika. Thank you."

"Of course, My Lady." She knelt and laid the items out on the floor, then she turned to Dwalin. Her small hands rested lightly on his back, examining the damage.

Dwalin's eyes caught mine, his expression cautious, somewhat resigned, yet almost...hopeful.

"Dwalin," I said quietly, "you are excused from any and all responsibilities until you deem yourself fit to continue. When you are well enough, I ask that you come and speak to me."

He nodded once, a hint of gratefulness in his eyes.

"Larika?"

"Yes, My Lady?" She dipped a rag into the bowl of water.

"If you wish, you may be in charge of overseeing Dwalin's recovery."

Her head whipped around to look at me. "Really?...Thank you, My Lady!"

Dwalin grumbled something under his breath, and Larika laid a gentle on his shoulder, murmuring in response.

I smiled and backed away. "I'll give you two a bit of privacy," I said, though neither one seemed to be listening. I exited the dungeon, leaving all the doors open for Larika and Dwalin.

I walked to my chambers, mercifully alone. My mind was heavy, but my conscience was somewhat appeased. Once safely behind the shut door of my room, I sighed and walked to the map.

It remained in its horizontal position; I found comfort in sitting in the Erebor's corner with my compass and staring in the direction it pointed. I'd left my compass stowed in my desk drawer, and I didn't feel like going to get it, so I quietly sat down and closed my eyes. A tear slid down my cheek, then another. Suppressing a sob, I leaned back against the wall and wept.

* * *

No breakfast meeting was called the next morning.

Or the next.

Or the next.

In the middle of the night on the third day following Dwalin's punishment, I paced in my candle-lit chambers. I understood that Dwalin was recovering and unable to attend—but all of the Court giving me the silent treatment? Were they planning an assassination or something?

I groaned and dropped into my desk chair. Exhausted, but too wound up to even consider sleep.

The issue of the dragon, and the missing key, bothered me constantly. That, and the Iron Hills Dwarves had decided to stay for an indefinite visit. Worse, the pin on my compass had begun to wander. Fear, anxiety, and the overall stress of just being Queen pressed in on me from all angles, blocking out my constant desire to be reunite with Legolas. I just wanted to curl up under a rock and hide.

"Alright," I muttered. "Let's get this figured out." I took a blank sheet of paper from my supply and set it in front of me, then grabbed one of the several quill pens waiting to be used. I dunked the tip into the ink fountain and began scribbling.

People that might have the key...

Dwalin

The Court

Dàin Ironfoot

I bit my lip, then added Bain. I didn't think he'd do something as low as stealing a key...but I decided to add anyone I found remotely possible.

Thorin Cottonballs

Larika

Some Dwarf

Some Man

Some Elf

Thranduil...

My eyes widened. Of course Thranduil had the key! He would stop at nothing to know the goings-on of Erebor, and he had both the influence and the resources to have it stolen. A dragon in Erebor? Bilbo's book had made it abundantly clear Thranduil could not abide a fire-breathing threat so close to Mirkwood. And frankly, Elvish mercenaries would probably have little trouble getting in and out of our vaults undetected.

I stood up and went to my wardrobe, pulling out a robe to wear over my nightgown. Once the sash was secured around my waist, I grabbed my candle and strode out of my room.

I walked down several corridors until I reached the room of the nearest member of the Court. I rapped on Bombur's door and waited for a reply. All I received was a series of logsaw snores. I knocked again, louder. "Bombur, wake up! It's important."

The next door down swung open, and a disheveled Bofur stepped into the hall. "Your Majesty...what is it?" He rubbed his face, unsuccessfully trying to mask a yawn.

"Bofur, excellent," I said, turning to him. "I want a meeting arranged over breakfast for the Court and myself. The Iron Hills Dwarves are not to attend, understood?"

"Yes, Your Ma—" He yawned. "—jesty."

"Thank you." I backed away. "I apologize for the interruption; I just wanted to make sure we would meet."

"Of course." He nodded sleepily.

"Good night," I said, and headed back down the hall to my room. Once there, I took off my robe and put it away. Set the candle on my nightstand, got in bed, and blew it out.

My thoughts were far too scattered for sleep, so I tossed and turned for hours before settling into a restless doze.

* * *

The next morning, I strode into the dining hall early. The servants were setting the table, and when I entered, the lot of them froze, eyes round.

"Please," I said with a smile. "Continue. I'll try not to get in your way."

Slowly, they resumed their preparation, sending me uneasy glances.

I walked to the head of the table and sat down. Their quiet exchanges as they laid out the meal were easily tuned to a soothing background noise. I closed my eyes. Mere months ago, I was easily lost in a crowd, eagerly cast aside and forgotten. And I'd used it to my advantage. There was much freedom in being a nobody.

Someone entered the hall, and I opened my eyes. Dwalin walked in, and meeting my gaze, he nodded respectfully. "Good morning, Your Majesty."

"Good morning, Dwalin," I replied. "Have a seat; I want to talk with you." He came around and sat down in the seat to my right, and I leaned forward, resting my elbows on the table. "Where is Larika?"

"She returned to your chambers. She hoped to clean while you eat."

I nodded. "Good. Now tell me, why does the Court not want her serving me?"

Dwalin sighed. "It is no fault of hers. Her mother died in childbirth, but her father...he wasn't the honorable sort. Norin was a member of the Court for a number of years, until we learned he had dealings with the Elves."

Curiosity overrode my inclination to be irritated. "What kind of dealings?"

"He was a fisher in his spare time. Odd one, Norin was. But he began selling his catch to the Elves in Dale. It was no secret; they paid the best and there was no reason for Norin not to. But over the next several months, we noticed a rise in the Elvish activity in and around Dale. It was shortly after that when the key went missing."

I sighed. "Then you blamed me, and I ran away."

Dwalin nodded. "Aye, but that wasn't the end of it. The Court began falling apart; we began bickering like children over the smallest of things. Norin was driving us apart and we were accomplishing nothing."

"What happened?" I asked quietly.

Dwalin lowered his voice. "I spoke with some of the other Court members in private. And we all agreed that Norin needed to leave the Court. We confronted him the next meeting. It turned into an argument, then a fight...then Norin drew his sword..." Dwalin closed his eyes. "He rounded on Bombur. He wouldn't have been able to move, nonetheless defend himself..."

"You killed Norin?" I murmured.

Dwalin met my gaze reluctantly, and nodded. "Please don't tell Larika," he whispered.

The doors swung open, and the remaining Dwarves of the Court entered and began seating themselves. I looked at Dwalin and shook my head. "I won't."

He nodded his gratitude, but I didn't miss the spark of regret in his eyes.

"Good morning," I said to the lot of them. A chorus of good mornings returned, and I continued. "Thank you for coming. We are here because I have been thinking about the matter of the missing key, and I believe I know who has it."

Eleven pairs of eyes watched me expectantly.

"King Thranduil."

A long silence. Then Oin said, "Aye, we'd figured as much. But we cannot risk open war with the Elves. They are too powerful," he grumbled.

I nodded slowly. I wished they had told me of their suspicions, but there was no use in getting upset. "You are right. We cannot risk any war with the Elves." I paused, preparing myself for an outburst. "I propose we make an alliance with them."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.6K 1.6K 50
After surviving a terrible attack, Nesseldë finds herself alone in a world ensnared by an ever-growing darkness. She is close to forsaking Middle-ea...
252K 7.7K 45
Aúthiel has always been alone. Her dark past is splattered with blood and she struggles everyday to live with what she has done. She depends on no-on...
28.7K 745 16
Agardess made the name for herself as Middle-Earth's greatest assassin. She was cold hearted and quiet, never one for saying anything. She was never...
157K 6.4K 40
LEGOLAS/OC. MOVIE VERSE. Desperate to save her father, Anastasia made a grave choice and struck a deal that eventually led her to be banished to Midd...