Take a Chance

By ParkBacon

[This is... cringe] Chanyeol is the captain of the basketball team at Pyojun High School. Baekhyun is the new... More

A/N
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 6

24.6K 1.5K 2K
By ParkBacon

Today was the day.

After long weeks of practicing their butts off, it was finally time for the championships.

After weeks of sweating and gruelling training, The Ravens were finally, finally going to spread their wings and take the court. They were going to claim what was theirs all along; the trophy.

Their first game was on Thursday (today) at 5PM in  an unfamiliar school, against the Lions whom they've already beaten.

Even so, every game mattered. One loss and they'd miss the chance of ever running their fingers over the smooth planes of the trophy's gold plated stainless steel. One loss and they'd have to relive last year, walking through the halls with their head down after having lost.

These games were of great importance to Chanyeol, to their team—to their hearts.

This game was like a promise to everyone. To Chanyeol, it was a promise to rise to the top, to show everyone that he's here for a reason; to bring his team where they were truly supposed to stand.

To Baekhyun, it was a promise to himself. It was a promise to push past all the barrels of difficulty and prove to himself that he is someone who's capable of fulfilling his dreams.

With these thoughts in mind, the team of eight stepped inside of the brick school, unfamiliarity draping over them.

They were led to the gym where they set their stuff down and examined their surroundings. Kangbuk High School's gym was slightly smaller than theirs, and their basketball nets seemed clean and shiny unlike the nets back at their school that were wrecked due to overworking.

The boys had already changed beforehand so all they did was peel off their shirt, revealing their dark uniforms underneath with their name and number plastered on the back.

Baekhyun's had just recently arrived, and so wearing it was still an excitement to him.

He played with the fabric between his fingers as he watched Chanyeol stretch, all long limbs and pale skin. Now that Baekhyun thought about it, he admired the giant much more than he realized.

Baekhyun began stretching too, settling onto the ground as he reached for his toes with his hands.

Baekhyun gazed at the other team, seeing their somewhat familiar faces from the first time he was at Pyojun High. He remembered how his own team had almost lost, winning by a mere point and he wondered if they were going to be hard to play against.

This was one of the only times the actual coach arrived and he was sitting on the bench, an annoyed look on his face. He only came because they needed a coach to actually join the tournaments.

The other team passed them some basketballs to warm up with and they did, shooting basketballs into the nets.

Baekhyun still wasn't that amazing at shooting from afar but at least he could.

A few minutes more of warming up and Chanyeol reassembled everyone so that they were standing in a circle by the benches.

"Alright guys. Here's the plan. For the first rotation it'll be Mingyu, Sehun, and Junmyeon who are sitting on the bench... When we're on the court," Chanyeol directed this talk to the members playing for the first rotation, "we have to take initiative. We have to take the first point and break the ice, alright? Don't be afraid because although this is championships, it's not different than a normal game."

Everyone nodded and Chanyeol continued. "Remember that everyone here is just as nervous as you are, so don't think you're being awkward or anything." Chanyeol put his hand out in the middle of the circle and everyone else's hands piled on. "All we have to do is trust each other, and our instincts, all right?" They all nodded and took a breath, knowing what was happening next.

"WE ARE ONE!" They yelled as they all pushed their hands down and broke apart at the end, giving each other somewhat reassuring glances.

"SAY THE NAME!" They heard from across the gym and their gaze landed on the other team.

They patted each other on the back before heading on court, staring at their enemies.

But just before the game began, Chanyeol placed a hand on Baekhyun's shoulder.

"You're looking nervous. Relax, Baekkie, I know it's your first time actually playing with us but I swear it will be fun," Chanyeol stated and Baekhyun was definitely not used to this kind and caring Chanyeol, although he could definitely get used to it. And he definitely really really liked the way Chanyeol said his nickname, so much that it sent a blush on his face.

That totally helped me calm down. Thanks for making my heart skip a beat, Baekhyun thought.

Baekhyun nodded and took in a breath, trying to relax his nerves and stop his hands from fidgeting with the soft material of his jersey. Chanyeol's hand rested on Baekhyun's shoulder for a second too long before he pulled away, walking to the middle for the jump ball.

He went face to face with his check from last time, someone who went by the name Seungcheol.

The referee gave both of them a look and lowered the ball before he tossed it up, letting it soar through the air.

Chanyeol waited until the ball started falling before he jumped, his height and jumping power obviously giving him an advantage. The ball was his in no time and he tossed it behind him to Yixing who was standing there.

Just as he landed on the ground, he took off across the court, trying to shake off Seungcheol so that Yixing could pass to him.

It was to no avail though, because the guy stuck onto him like tape.

Yixing ended up passing the ball to Xiumin who made it deeper into the enemy's side, successfully getting his check off of him.

Xiumin passed it to Jongin and the boy shot from where he was standing, getting it in easily.

Their team cheered as the points changed to 2-0, and Baekhyun thought that this game wouldn't be too hard... But he was still nervous as heck. Because this was the first time he was playing with people who were all better than him, and people who he all admired.

The other team started with it this time, passing it in to Jisoo who was Baekhyun's check.

Jisoo began dribbling the ball and Baekhyun caught on to his movements easily, knowing full well what he was about to do, because he was quite a skilled dribbler anyways.

Just as Jisoo was about to take off, Baekhyun slapped the ball, getting it out of his hands and making it fly to the side.

The smaller grabbed the ball, determined to bring it to the other side. When he bounced it once though, it hit his foot and went in a completely different direction.

But luckily Chanyeol was right in that direction and he grabbed it, running down the court and doing a simple layup, successfully getting the ball in the net.

Everyone cheered and Baekhyun shook his arms, letting out a shaky breath.

10 minutes later and the score was 4-10, in the Lion's favour. Baekhyun kept making small mistakes that all led to a big one, and the team got the ball way more than they wanted. Eventually they switched out with the people on the bench, Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Yixing going to sit down. Right when Baekhyun sat down, he was pulled right back up and was met with wide, fiery brown eyes.

Chanyeol placed both of his hands on Baekhyun's shoulders and looked at him. "Where."

"Where?" Baekhyun asked curiously and Chanyeol just nodded.

"Where is the Baekhyun that beat me terribly the first time I played against him?" Chanyeol asked and Baekhyun looked away, knowing what Chanyeol meant.

"I'm sorry I just... I'm so nervous and-"

"Hey," Chanyeol placed his finger on Baekhyun's chin and moved his head so that he was staring back into his eyes. "Look at me, Baekhyun. I know you're nervous, but you have no reason to be. We're all there for you, no matter where you are." Baekhyun bit his lip, considering Chanyeol's words. Maybe Chanyeol was right, maybe all Baekhyun needed to do was stop thinking that everything was on him. "So... It doesn't matter if you fly, or fall... Just take a chance... For me."

Baekhyun looked into Chanyeol's eyes, letting the reality of the words really sink in. Chanyeol was such an amazing person; Baekhyun's personal knight in shining armour.

And at that moment, with the bright gym lights shining down on them and the cheers in the background, Baekhyun thought of one thing.

He trusted Chanyeol enough to the point that if he did fall, he'd be fine with it...

As long as it was Chanyeol who caught him.

------------

Wow. That's all I've got to say.

Damnnnn... DAMNNN

Okay I'm not going to fangirl over my own book.

I'll C you guys later.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

481K 21.6K 34
Byun Baekhyun, a nerd that crushes on Park Chanyeol who is the school's heartthrob but a playboy. When Baekhyun gets rejected and teased by his firs...
1.1M 50.5K 21
Pairing : Chanbaek Language : English **Yaoi** Baekhyun and Chanyeol were in a relationship before Chanyeol did debut.Chanyeol broke up with Baekhyun...
40.2K 1.6K 4
Baekhyun kisses a stranger who turns out to be his best friend's crush. ***COMPLETE*** . . . TWT: @exolefirstclass . . . MANIP CREDIT: Cocochanbaek T...
7K 281 4
Denying Chanyeol the thing he wants most is hard. Baekhyun's seen it in the way he looks at him -- in the dorm, on stage, even in front of the camera...