A New Life (River Phoenix)

By riowriting

The year is 1989, and living in Hollywood is every young persons dream. But surrounding yourself with the com... More

Day 1: Hollywood
10:00
Inside
Connor
Different is Good
"Go To Sleep"
Rise and Shine
Good Attitudes
Piper
Lost In The World Of Music
Fuck the Business
"We're Going On A Date!"
Who's River Phoenix?
Dinner
The Arrival
Reunited
Something Else
Butterflies
Nostalgia
Home to The Viper
Under An Influence
The Edge of The World
Star Gazing
I Love You To Death
Tell Me I'm Right
Connor (2)
Maybe Someday
Lose It
The Last Adult
Confessions to Connor
Finally
Fight Night
Family
The Legend Of Dirk
Welcome To The Jungle
Getting to Know Young Rio
Goodbyes
No Sleep
The Promise to Rain
Curiosity And The Cat
Aleka's Attic
And He's Back
Piper (2)
Full House
Human Flesh
To Idaho
Twenty One
Preparation for the Day of Rio
Happy Birthday, River
Unwanted Reunions
Meeting Martha
A Real Wild Side
Reality Check
Double Trouble
Keeping Secrets
A Friendly Reunion (pt 1)
A Friendly Reunion (pt 2)
Image
A New Feeling
An Intervention
A Night In
The Letter
The Decision
Confessions on the Last Day
Day 1: Gainesville
The Phoenix Family Reunion
Separated from Reality
Drawings
Nightmares In A Donut Shop
A New Friend
1992
Behind Closed Doors
The Final Argument
Back Home
Give It Away
The Wedding
Happy Birthday, Carmen (pt 1)
Happy Birthday, Carmen (pt 2)
Happy Birthday, Carmen (pt 3)

Halloween, 1991

1.2K 41 22
By riowriting

-Time Gap-

For the last two weeks, River had been working in full force to finish Dogfight.

The film was set in San Francisco, so he wasn't too far away.

At the same time, we decided that the best thing for both of us was to not keep in touch; allowing him to focus on the movie and I on myself.

As much as I hated to admit it, we all needed our space.

We have each accomplished so much in the short time that we have been apart.

For example; River has almost finished his movie, Flea and the Chili Peppers are releasing their next album, 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik', and I have taken up Connor's offer on working at the Viper Room.

It was quite simple, really. All you had to do was walk amongst the club goers and assist them if they came to you, which was rarely ever.

To make a long story short, I was being paid good money to attend daily parties.

Today was different, though.

Today was Halloween, and knowing the Viper Room guests, it would be nothing short of eventful.

-

Halloween, 1991.

-

Wearing a black dress with a white collar, nylon tights, and two braids, I walk to the Viper Room.

My costume is intense; Wednesday Addams.

The time is 10:00, though in the hectic streets it feels more like daytime.

Hollywood won't sleep tonight, and I know it. I can tell by the way people parade in the streets and stumble around aimlessly.

I've never seen people so restless.

To avoid the long line that surrounds the club entrance, I head for the back door.

Upon entering, I notice Flea standing in the back alongside the rest of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

He notices me and runs to me with arms open.

"My God, it's you! In the flesh!" He yells, wrapping me up tightly. "Gosh, I missed you! Have you heard from River?"

"No, we agreed to take some time apart. Have you?" I wonder.

He shakes his head.

"Iris said the movie will wrap up early." He tells me, fiddling with his guitar strings.

I nod at him and watch as the rest of the Peppers begin to head to the stage; they will be preforming songs off of their album for the first time tonight.

"That's my cue," Flea says, gathering his things. "Hey, is Piper coming?"

"She said she'd come out later." I inform him.

He nods and sends me a wave as he hurries to the stage.

I yell 'good luck', but he doesn't hear me.

Like any good employee, I head straight to work.

The costume is slightly uncomfortable but I manage to pull through the next half hour without losing my mind.

As always, I retrieve drinks and joints for the guests on command.

It was almost too easy.

-

As time goes on, it only gets crazier.

I find myself shoving my way through more people than imaginable; there isn't a single centimeter that isn't taken up by a rowdy club goer.

When I have finally been swallowed by the intense body heat that radiated in the club, I join Hanna behind the bar.

Hanna is the newest, and probably most skilled, bartender in the club.

She sees the redness of my cheeks and pours me a shot.

I hesitate at first, but soon take it.

"I've been sneaking shots this whole time." She admits, laughing to herself while she hands a man his beer. "It really helps soothe the nerves."

I lean against the wall and watch as Flea jams helplessly on stage.

"Yeah, it's insane in here tonight." I tell her.

"Hey, it's Halloween!" She yells. "Halloween is the most eventful night of the year. You got to go big on Halloween, or just go the hell home."

I shake my head.

"You can only go so big." I say.

"Is that a dick joke?" She wonders, causing me to laugh.

"Didn't know you had one." I joked.

"Last time I checked, I didn't." She responds.

We send each other a light smirk before Connor approaches me.

"Back to work, kiddo." He laughs, scooting past me to join the rest of the bouncers in front.

"Hey, I just turned 20, so no more of that kid shit." I yell to him.

He looks back at me and smiles. Then he's gone.

I shake my head and begin to reenter the craziness before I spot Corey dancing around with another girl.

-

I'm hoping he doesn't notice me, but the second I look at him, he looks to me almost as if we had magnets in our eyes.

Not sure whether to stay still or walk away, I allow him to approach me.

He wears a black jacket and dark blue jeans; his hair looking slightly longer and messier than I remember.

I can't lie, he looks good.

"What brings you out on Halloween night?" He asks me.

"Work." I say to him, and he smiles.

"You don't look like you're having too much fun." He points out.

I shake my head and laugh slightly.

"Yeah, well, you can only have so much fun at work."

"Maybe at a McDonalds," he jokes. "But this the Viper Room on Halloween night. I'd say it's a pretty fun job."

He does have a point.

"It's just tiring," I explain. "And sweaty. And loud. And, yeah."

When I realize how ridiculous I sound, I stop.

He must notice my embarrassment because he starts to chuckle and adjust his hair.

"You look good." He compliments.

AH.

"Oh, uh, thank you." I respond, looking down at my attire. "Wednesday Addams was all I could think of."

He points to himself and smiles.

"Well, it beats dressing as Corey Haim." He jokes, laughing innocently to himself.

"Hm, I'm not sure if it does. I'd say that's quite a scary costume." I respond, obviously joking so that I don't sound like a bitch.

He raises an eyebrow at me and smirks heavily.

"So that's how it's going to be, hm?" He questions.

I narrow my eyes at him and fold my arms.

"How what's going to be?" I question.

He laughs and shakes his head; I can't tell what he's thinking.

"You and me." He answers.

I don't respond at first.

"Ah, but you see, I don't think you and me are a thing." I sass, though it sounds more like I'm flirting.

"I'd say differently." He defends.

"I'd say I'm not interested." I respond.

The more I talk, the more flirty I sound. I can't help but mentally slap myself across the face.

"Well, I'm interested." He states. "I got to go back to my friends, but I'm sure I'll be seeing more of you."

I roll my eyes and step away from him.

"You say that every time." I answer.

"And every time, I see more of you." He responds.

I put my hand on my forehead and walk away, half annoyed but half blushing.

I need to get back to work.

-

Nothing quite interesting happens for the rest of the night.

Besides the few fights, couple of broken chairs, and a broken leg, the Viper Room closes it's doors at 4 in the morning.

Flea and I walk home together since Piper decides not to come out.

"How did your night go?" Flea asks me as he adjusts his guitar on his back.

"It was tiring." I admit. "Yours?"

"Tiring." He answers. "What did you think of the album?"

I thought back to their performance and smiled.

"Under The Bridge was my favorite, Flea. I know River would have been so excited to hear you preform." I tell him.

He laughs and looks ahead.

"Thanks, C. That's one of my favorite ones, too."

We smile to each other and continue walking in silence.

My head feels numb from the lack of sleep and my body aches in every step. I can't wait to sleep.

"I saw you talking to Corey." Flea admits randomly. "River told me about it a while ago; he said he was really worried. Not that Corey is a bad guy or anything, cause he's not. But River was really insecure about it. He came to me and started to cry."

My entire heart sank.

I knew that I could never put anyone above River no matter how hard I tried.

"I don't have feelings for Corey." I tell him. "He's cute and all, but I couldn't leave River."

Flea smiles at me and nods; I can tell he approves.

"Good." He says. "Because don't tell River I let you know, but, I'm pretty sure he's in love with you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 64 2
Una historia no contada sobre Nami, una amistad desconocida para los Mugiwaras, celos irracionales por parte de Zoro, y al final una dura decisión po...
170K 24.4K 14
[مكتملة] "لماذا انت دائماً مُغطى بالكدماتِ مين يونغى؟" *MIN YOONGI'S SHORT FF.
11.9K 486 50
"Keep my forever." He whispered in my ear. Enjoy and stay ⊂_ヽ   \\ _    \( •_•) F     < ⌒ヽ A    /   へ\ B    /  / \\ U    レ ノ   ヽ_つ L   / ...
11.1K 45 7
The title speaks for itself: a collection of stories of giantess Pokemon and their tiny trainers. In what massive adventures will they find themselve...