Gray Wolf Ranch

By moudenes

The Marshall brothers, four country boys with a passion for hospitality, have finally achieved their dream of... More

Chapter 1 - Golf Cart
Chapter 2 - Checking In
Chapter 3 - Tribe Names
Chapter 4 - Dog Walk
Chapter 5 - Clean Slate
Chapter 6 - Farm Help
Chapter 7 - Campsite Permits
Chapter 8 - Entertainment Team
Chapter 9 - Out There
Chapter 10 - Not a Good Day
Chapter 11 - Not a Child
Chapter 12 - Nightmares
Chapter 13 - Unwelcome Guest
Chapter 14 - Truths
Chapter 15 - Appointments
Chapter 16 - Worries
Chapter 17 - Relief
Chapter 18 - Disappointment
Chapter 19 - Realization
Chapter 20 - Distraction
Chapter 21 - Hair
Chapter 22 - Loss
Chapter 23 - Dreams
Chapter 24 - Trail Ride
Chapter 25 - An Adventure
Chapter 26 - Secrets and Truths
Chapter 27 - Finding Out
Chapter 28 - Back to Life
Chapter 29 - News
Chapter 30 - Country Boy
Chapter 31 - Wolf
Chapter 32 - We Meet Again
Chapter 33 - Phone
Chapter 34 - Camping
Chapter 35 - Memories
Chapter 36 - Together Again
Chapter 38 - Moving Out
Chapter 39 - Josh
Chapter 40 - Michelle
Chapter 41 - A Letter
Chapter 42 - Picnic
Chapter 43 - The Opening
Chapter 44 - A Night to Remember
Chapter 45 - Anahu

Chapter 37 - Mingan

2.7K 187 21
By moudenes

CHRIS

When Huritt told me that his dad was moving in with us, I didn't know what to think about the situation. Father figures aren't exactly positive in my eyes, proven by Nadine's father and my own. I met Mr. Marshall when he and the soon-to-be-former Mrs. Marshall came to the ranch. We didn't get to talk besides exchanging a greeting. He looked elegant and powerful in his designer leisure clothes. I felt ashamed of myself, the way I looked and my background.

Mr. Marshall moved in on the same day he arrived at the ranch and all of his belongings came inside just one suitcase. I found it odd that he seemed happy with his room: a simple bed with a side table, a closet and a chest of drawers. I love this place and enjoy the peaceful forest that surrounds it, and find my room more than comfortable, but he must be used to much better conditions. I haven't seen much of him in the last days since he wakes up early and heads to the stables. Huritt said he's the new farmhand, but I find it difficult to believe. He fits better behind the front desk together with Rowtag.

I'm waiting for Nadine to come and help me as she does every morning. Getting dressed with a broken collarbone isn't exactly easy or comfortable.

"Good morning, Chris," Mr. Marshall says as he comes into the shared living room area. "You are up very early today."

"Good morning, Mr. Marshall. I want to go back to the routine I had when I was working at the farm. Maybe do some chores that don't require both arms."

"I get you. Anything is better than feeling caged. But call me Joseph or Joe, we are roommates after all," he chuckles. "I can't believe at my age I would bunk with younger guys. Did you have breakfast already?"

"Not yet, Nadine usually brings me something to eat when she comes to help me get dressed. I wonder what's delaying her. She should have been here fifteen minutes ago."

I take my phone off the charger and see I have missed a few calls from her because I had it silenced.

"Chris, I had to go to the city. Yesterday, I found a letter for a court hearing mixed with some junk mail pieces. I called you a few times to let you know I'm heading there straight from home but couldn't reach you. I'm not looking forward to it, but I need to face my demons and him. Don't come here. I need to do this on my own. I love you, and will head to the ranch you as soon as I'm out."

"Everything okay?" Joe asks.

"Nadine had to go to court in the city and can't come."

"Is the case against Pratt still open? Don't you need to be there?"

"The police has been here a few times, and I made an official statement of what happened. My case has already been decided on, but the one that involves Nadine and the women that he..."

"Don't feel obliged to tell me anything."

"I don't want to be rude. Especially to you after how your sons have treated me. I'm just not used to trusting people, especially-"

"Parents," he finishes my sentence. "Huritt told me that you and your sister didn't have it easy growing up. I know it's weird having me around."

At that moment, a girl walks through the living room at a fast pace and doesn't even look our way. Joe follows her with his gaze and then looks at me.

"Walk of shame?" He grins.

"Yeah, Alex is a whore," I say, making him laugh.

"Well, I just cheated on my wife. Who am I to judge? I'm going to make breakfast. Since your girl is not available, do you want to share?"

"Sure."

Joe gets started on our food, and I head to my bedroom. I manage to get out of my pajama bottoms, but moving my arm is still painful. I head towards the kitchen in underwear and a t-shirt and find Joe whisking eggs.

"Sorry to bother you. I really can't do this by myself."

Joe nods and takes the clothes from my hand. He helps me into my jeans and then carefully removes the t-shirt.

"It seems as if you do this often."

"After the accident, I assisted Kitchi getting dressed until he could do it himself. It took years, but my kid pushed himself to get back to his feet."

"Kitchi is my best friend," I blurt and feel embarrassed at my childish statement, but it can't be truer.

"I've heard. I'm happy that you understand him and see past his limitations. I'm endlessly grateful you risked your life to save him and Sebastian."

"Your sons have given me a real sense of what family feels like. Amy and I have done what we can to be each other's support, cause we had no one else to turn to."

"I hope then that you eventually see me as an older brother too. Now that Amy and Huritt are together, it makes us family."

His warm and kind words surprise me. "Thanks, Joe. That is..."

I don't cry, but the words get stuck in my throat. Joe pats my back softly and goes back to the kitchen, saving me from further embarrassment.

"I like my omelets with vegetables. Is that okay with you?"

"Yeah, it is okay."

We drink our coffee and talk about what he has been doing around the farm. He tells me about growing up on his parents' property and how it surprises him that he still remembers how to do the chores.

"Good morning," says a voice followed by a loud yawn. Huritt shuffles his feet as he grabs the coffee pot. "Is the slut awake already? I have never heard the phrase 'oh god' so many times in a night."

"Not yet, but his last conquest walked out a while ago," I say.

"He needs to move to the last room in the hallway if he continues this. What do you have there?" He looks at the plates Joe places on the table.

"Farm omelets," Joe says, and Huritt scrunches his nose.

"You always put tons of pepper in them. I will see what Grandma made. See you around."

Huritt leaves and Joe and I clear the table after eating. The food was indeed loaded with pepper and I will need an antacid later. I don't want to break his heart by complaining.

"Well, I'm heading out. Duty calls."

"Can I go with you?" I ask.

"Sure," Joe gives me a big smile.

We leave the lodge and walk towards the farm where Ben greets us at the entrance.

"Full party today. Sebastian joined us again, and Kitchi is in the office," he says happily.

"Gents," Kitchi greets us with a nod. "Sebastian is getting started with the cows. Ben, we are on stable mucking."

"What am I doing?" Joe asks.

"Weeding the patch and trimming the gardens. Grandma says is why the roses won't bloom," Kitchi says, and he nods.

"I can't do any lifting, but I can water the patch and gather eggs," I say.

"Only if you feel like it. I'm here for a few hours and if by next week I feel reasonably okay, I will start the trail rides again."

We all split into our areas, and I head together with Joe to the patch. The cherry tomato plants are full of fruit so I bring a crate and a pair of scissors to snip the bunches before watering the other plants.

"I can only get the bottom ones," I say to Joe after realizing my arm movement will be a problem. "Can you cut the ones at the top later?"

"Sure. Do you see anything else that needs harvesting? I don't have much experience with fruit and vegetables. I'm okay with flowers, though."

I walk around the patch and point at the produce ready to be picked, then go get the garden hose.

"You call yourself Joe. Don't you have a tribe name like the guys?"

Joe stops plucking the weeds and stares at the distance.

"I do," he looks back at me. "My grandfather gave it to me when I was born, just like my father gave them to my boys. I have never used it. My sons are a bit more liberal with the customs. My dad scolded them many times, the tribe elderly found it a sacrilege, but everyone ended up accepting they felt proud of their names and wanted to be called by them."

"What is yours then?" I feel curious.

"Mingan."

"Does it mean something?"

Joe gazes around while smiling and then shakes his head.

"It does. It means gray wolf."

I'm pleasantly surprised about this.

"Just like the ranch! But Kitchi came up with the name because he saw the gray wolf that guards the ranch. Does he know the meaning of your name?"

"None of them does. Only you do now."

"You are not freaked out about the wolf sightings?"

"Why should I?" He shrugs. "It's just my dad."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.2K 623 53
All his life Cole never knew his father only that he was human, so what happens when he goes to find his father along with his mate Skylar with lots...
27.6K 2.7K 15
This is the second book in the Veronica Marshall Series. The dark path is weighing down on Veronica Marshall as she continues her quest to seek reve...
43.5M 220K 49
2021 NEW EDITION | COMPLETED From dodging airborne slot machines to an unplanned swim in the fountain of a luxury hotel, it's safe to say that a tr...
4M 141K 70
(Update: 2/25/19- This story was original called Alphas Red. Noticing there is so much to be added to this novel. I've decided to make it into a seri...