And Then You Meet The Boys

By colleennnnn

You finally meet boys. You finally get free. You finally have fun. Or so you think. When Chloe moves from a t... More

1 |Thanks But No Thanks|
2 |What Kind Of Name Is 'Young'?|
3 |But It Looks Like A Remote|
4 |I Hate You!|
5 |Happy birthday Stupid|
6 |What Are You Doing Here?|
7 |You're Kidding Right?|
8 |You've Inspired Me|
9 |Best Friends Huh|
10 |I Don't Want To Think About It|
11 |Why Can't I Do It?|
12 |I want to be with you|
13 |Yes|
14 |I Missed This|
16 |I Don't Need Your Pity|

15 |My Parents|

630 61 165
By colleennnnn

Heya:) 

Who likes potatoes?

I do xD

This chap is dedicated to a special someone who writes the most awesome story!! Go read Zerians - Kyle is absolutely Bae!

Thanks for all your support hun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stuck my tongue out at Ad, who had just been ordered to get back to his own table by a very angry Mr Diordram. He snickered, shaking his head in amusement and started walking away. I turned back around and focussed on the paper in front of me, letting out a large sigh of relief.

Before the multiple times Ad had come over, Hugo had slunk over next to me. Mr Diordram had sent him right back too - not that that stopped Ad from coming over another three times though.

Honestly those two boys needed so much attention.

I felt conflicted when deciding who to hang out with. On one hand, a girlfriend is supposed to be there for their boyfriend. On the other hand, a best friend is forever. I couldn't even ask my family for advice on this; since me dating was a secret.

I tutted, deep in thought. Young cleared his throat, and pointed to the question I had just blindly answered.

'Its option D, not A' he softly whispered.

I read through the question properly, realising my mistake. 'Thanks' I whispered back, changing my answer accordingly. I moved onto the next question scrutinising every detail, when I heard a loud groan from Beat.

I looked uncertainly at her, hearing her mutter something about wanting a cheat genie under her breath. Giggling, I pointed to a question of hers where she'd drawn in an extra option E and circled it. 'That's C, Beat', to which she laughed sheepishly before frantically erasing her sarcastic answer.

After I finished all the questions, my phone vibrated in my pocket. Tapping in, I saw that it was a message from Hugo. 

Hugo: Do you have anything on after school tomorrow?

Chloe: I have orchestra till 5. Why?

Hugo: I kind of already bought tickets for you, but we have a large soccer game at 6 after that. Can you come to watch?:)

I looked towards Hugo, who flashed me a pleading smile. I debated it for a while but decided Why not? I nodded slowly, flashing him a smile back.

Hugo jolted up in joy, accidentally tipping his stool in the process. The class responded to the loud Clang with gasps, as we all stared at Hugo awkwardly regain his composure and sit back down timidly.

I quickly turned my body back around to face the table, covering my face in embarrassment.

Did dating someone mean being responsible for them?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To be honest, dating secretly without my parents knowing wasn't that hard. That was something that I realised. All I had to do was omit anything BGR related from my conversations with them. Of course, only Chanel knew. Chanel had screamed when she found out and had spazzed about how I was lucky to have a cute boyfriend. 

As I entered the kitchen to drop off my phone, I saw my mother with her back to me, making a sandwich. 'Hey mummy', I greeted her.

She gave me a small smile before turning back to her sandwich and added Mayonnaise to the ham. 'How was school?' she asked casually.

'Mmm, it was okay.' I thought back to the only class where something out of the ordinary had happened, Physics. There wasn't much I could talk about which didn't involve Hugo.

Knowing I had to say more than that, I clambered to thoughts of Adrian, who was a safe topic. 'During physics, Ad kept coming over and Mr Diordram kicked him back. It was funny because Adrian just didn't stop.' I chuckled just thinking about it. My mother was silent.

'Was Hugo jealous?' she asked softly.

'What?' I sputtered, my heart constricting at the mention of him from my mother. I tried to regain my composure. 'Why would he be jealous?' I furrowed my eyebrows as I tried to steady my breathing. Did she know something?

She shrugged nonchalantly, placing the plate that held the mouth watering sandwich onto the table that I was leaning against. She pushed it towards me, with a glint of something in her eyes that I could not decipher. I smiled wryly at her kind gesture and slowly reached for the plate.

Before my fingers could meet the plate, she pulled it back.

'I thought you like Hugo?' she spat out.

I looked up at her poker face, trying to understand what she was getting at. I started to glare as she continued to stare at me, expressionless. I walked round the corner of the table and tried to reach for the sandwich again but she pulled it even closer to herself. She then spoke, her voice loud and provocative.

'What - Does he not like you?' Her words slammed into me and knocked out my sense of decency. I flashed a long piercing glare at my mother, and defiantly looked into her familiar honey brown eyes. I felt anger in me bubble as I put my hand on my waist, my face starting to heat up at the insinuation.

'If anything.' I kept my voice steely and paused, raising a finger at her indignantly.

'If anything, he likes me. I'm not some lovestruck girl so don't you dare make it sound like I am.' I let out a fuming breath, and whipped around, ignoring my mother's wide eyes at my outburst. I started to stomp out, but then decided against it. I turned around to grab the plate from my mother's weak hands and then left the kitchen.

As I stormed up the stairs to the hallway, I let out heavy breaths. I didn't care about how my mother would interpret my reaction, but all that clouded my thoughts was that my mother had thought so lowly of me.

I ignored my siblings who peeked at me from their door and stalked to my room, slamming the door shut. I threw myself onto the sofa and violently munched my sandwich, glaring at my bookshelf.

After I calmed down, I walked down to the living room and proceeded to call Adrian. He helped me to forget about the incident momentarily, but I still refused to talk to my mother after that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to Hugo, I had lugged my  metal stringed guitar all the way to school, with its case bouncing on my back. At least, he had been super thankful, even hugging me. He didn't have a guitar but had recently picked it up and wanted to be able to practice at home.

I smiled, remembering his warm hug, as I quickly raised my viola to my shoulder, holding it down with my chin. Not everyone was as alert, and Mrs Inorpe smacked 'Stumpy' on her conductor's stand roughly, capturing most of the Orchestra's attention.

I narrowed my eyes at the rest of the orchestra as they scrambled to their positions. When my eyes reached Yosef, I let out a large sigh.

Yosef was on his phone, softly snickering to himself. As he turned his phone to show Katie whatever it was he was looking at, he then realised that the Orchestra was unusually quiet.  Like a deer in the face of an oncoming car, he jolted in shock at all the eyes staring at him and  dropped his phone. A low rumble of laughter travelled through the room as Katie tucked her violin under her arm and helped him pick it up, right before it was confiscated by Mrs Inorpe. I turned back around, but not after snickering at their embarrassed red faces.

Orchestra continued smoothly after that, and ended right on time. Yosef and Young ran off immediately to change for their soccer game. Apparently, they were playing against our school's local half. It was a long term rivalry of - International VS Local.

Adrian and I laughed at Yosef trip on his loose laces as Young amusedly pulled him up from the floor. Young started to run off, laughing at Yosef who had been brushing off his trousers. Yosef shouted before running to catch up with Young. He slapped him on the butt playfully as they disappeared around the corner.

I giggled. Bromance.

Adrian had the same tickled expression on his face. Seeing me look up at him, his hazel eyes crinkled as he grinned. Comfortably looping his arm around my shoulder, we walked down the stairs and across the foyer, towards the soccer field where there was already people filling up the benches at the outskirts of the field. Upon approaching the steps to get to the high level of benches for a seat, we heard an authoritative shout from the middle of the bench which sounded like it was directed at us.

Scanning the brimming crowd, we spotted Mr Scheelbak holding an accusing finger at us, his jaw clenched. We jumped apart, Adrian's arm no longer around me.

Damn that teacher was so particular about distance between guys and girls.

Familiar voices saved us from having to face Mr Scheelbak's eyes. It was Selwin and Beat, waving us over to the seats they had saved which was at the far end of the second row. Selwin only played soccer recreationally, and had obviously begged Beat to join him watch the game. Beat always found watching sports boring but she was smiling this time. 

As we awkwardly shuffled across the unwilling legs of the people in the front row, we muttered our 'Sorry's. Finally, we sat down, and I turned my attention to the field.

My smile widened as I spotted Hugo running onto the field with the rest of the team. His eyes searched for mine and when he found me, he smiled despite how nervous he was. He then winked, before turning back to the rest of the team who were huddling up. Beat elbowed me, thinking that I wasn't looking. My stomach was too full of crazy butterflies for me to elbow her back. 

As they put their heads together, I spotted Leo hurtling onto the field from the changing room, still adjusting his jersey over his pants. The group of us laughed at him loudly, catching his attention. He childishly stuck his tongue out at us before pulling his jersey down one last time and forcefully pushed his way into the team huddle. I heard Young's voice shout some last words of encouragement before they all went to their respective positions on the field. It was then that I realised that Young was the team captain, and my chest surprisingly swelled with pride. 

Our team started off strong. Young had scored 3 goals out of the 6 that we had, and we were currently 1 goal ahead of the Local group. I tensed up in my seat, very aware that there were 2 minutes left of the final half of the game. The Local Team was extremely strong too. The way the two teams fought was like two equally strong groups at a game of Tug Of War. Strategy would be needed.

I watched Yosef deftly kick the ball to Leo, who then bypassed two other opponents, managing to confuse them and send them hurtling to the ground because of their misguided force. As Leo kicked the ball outwards, James, one of the players on our team ran in attempt to intercept its path, but it was stolen by one of the opponent players.

Young ran after him, but he wasn't fast enough. The boy scored a goal for his own team. The four of us groaned in defeat while the supporters of the local school cheered. Adrian scowled, pointing at the boy who was now pumping his fists in the air. 'That's Vaughn.' He spat the name out. I immediately recognised the name. The boys had been shamelessly gossiping about him before and about how he was an annoyingly worthy opponent on the soccer field. Apparently he was nice in person, but was nasty on the field.

The game continued, with only one minute left. The whole crowd was literally at the edge of their seats, their fists clenched as they watched the soccer ball being passed about on the field. We were currently tied, and this last goal would determine who went home as winners or losers. Our school coach yelled instructions while the local school coach was blowing his whistle unnecessarily, his face getting all red.

The tension in the air was thick, and time seemed to slow as Young ran at top speed, intercepting the ball from an opponent and ran with it towards our side of the field. As he ran, Vaughn's familiar bushy head of dark brown hair dashed into Young's path, blocking off any easy shot he had before. Young swiftly passed the ball to Balram, and I watched with my mouth open as it pinballed between our school's players, finally being passed to Hugo, who was the closest to the goal post. In a split second, Hugo forcefully kicked the ball towards the goal post, his hair flying at the force he had used.

It hurtled towards its destination, but slightly right of it's intended course. My jaw dropped as the ball scissored past the side of the goal post, just getting in, and hitting the net at the back. The goal keeper fell to the ground in defeat as Hugo just stared at the post, still registering his almost accidental goal. 

Hugo's mouth was wide open, his chest rising and falling as he breathed heavily. As the referee whistled the end of the game, the whole international school crowd immediately jumped to our feet, yelling victory. The lights illuminating the field seemed to increase in intensity as we all boomed, cheered, and yelled.

Adrian and I hugged in joy and I only had half a second to process how comfortable his hug was, before Selwin pulled us all like a connected chain towards the field, where the boys were bumping chests and jumping up and down. 

Energy flowing through each and every one of us we all yelled victory at each other. I reached Hugo, and he pulled me into a sweet but sweaty embrace. I pulled back and kissed him on the cheek softly, awarding him for playing so well. When I looked at his face, his beautiful eyes were wide in surprise, as he pulled me close and kissed me on the cheek as well. 

I blushed, the butterflies in my stomach becoming even crazier - if that was even possible. Young cleared his throat, breaking off the intensity of us gazing into each other's eyes. We separated and I turned to Young with a proud smile. He raised his eyebrow at my unusually large smile before poking me. He laughed as my smile transformed into a scowl. 

Deciding against attacking him in front of Hugo, I harrumphed and stomped away from Young. I then went to pull an exhausted Balram off the ground, fist bump a happy Yosef, and high five a crazed looking Leo.

I looked wistfully towards the Local team who was sitting on the team bench, drinking their water. They looked tired, but a sad kind of tired. A familiar looking girl stalked away from them, with Vaughn's upset gaze following her. As she got closer, I realised that it was Marilyn from my math class.

Her chestnut hair was even wavier than it normally was, contrasting beautifully with her honey brown skin. I furrowed my eyebrows as she brushed past me, allowing me to catch a glance of her angry expression. Her cinnamon brown eyes were distant but glaring. I turned as I heard rowdy yells from behind me. Leo was squeezing his open mineral water bottle at everyone, causing them to run from him to avoid the burst of water. 

I groaned and rolled my eyes, walking in his direction to knock some sense into him. As I stomped closer, Leo ran towards Marilyn, his closest target. With playful eyes, he squeezed the last bit of water out of his bottle, the water spraying in Marilyn's face. 

I stopped in my tracks and gasped as I saw Marilyn's face contort from shock to extreme anger. She seemed to fume as the water dripped from her side hair to her soaked shirt. Leo didn't apologise and my jaw dropped as I watched Marilyn pull a clenched fist back, before throwing an upper cut punch to Leo's stomach. 

Leo fell to the floor in surprise, holding his stomach in pain. 'Oi what's your problem!' he groaned loudly. I ran over to him and kneeled by his side. I bit my lip, watching Marilyn's figure run towards the foyer. 'Can you get up?' I looked down at him, my fingertips lightly brushing his stomach. He groaned again.

'You shouldn't have done that you Idiot. Marilyn was obviously not in the mood. Why are boys so unobservant?' I rambled. Leo didn't respond, but looking at my worried expression, a grin forming on his face. 'I think I'll be fine' he managed to grit out. I looked at the rest of the team on the field who was watching us curiously, a few of them starting to walk over. The Local team players stared at us boredly, one team member helped to close Vaughn's open mouth. 

What was going on with Vaughn and Marilyn? 

I shook my head and turned my attention back to Leo. He started to pull his shirt up slowly, and I sputtered. 'What the hell are you doing?' I asked bewildered. 'Relax', he said as he revealed another shirt under the one he had just taken off. 

'It absorbed some of the impact I think' He said snickering. I just stared at him in surprise. Who wears more than one shirt when playing sports? 

'Why else do you think I got onto the field late?'

'Freak' Selwin slurred playfully. Leo slowly got to his feet with a mischievous grin on his face. 'What did you say?' he asked, walking towards Selwin, who was starting to look panicked. 

Before Leo could get to him, Selwin dashed towards the steps leading up to the school foyer. I hit Adrian on the shoulder, yelling 'Let's go!', and ran after Selwin and Leo. He snickered before following me. The group of us ran to the foyer with a feeling of immense amusement and joy. Before I left to walk to the bus stop, Hugo snapped a selfie of us as he pecked me on the cheek. I giggled and collected my bag, starting to walk towards the school gate with Adrian. The rest of the boys were being picked up by their parents. 

Adrian and I walked in comfortable silence. He fiddled about with his blackberry and suddenly stopped in his tracks. It took me a while to realise that I was walking alone. I walked back to him, realising that he had a twisted expression on his face. 

'What is it?'

I looked curiously at his phone screen, seeing the selfie of Hugo kissing my cheek on Adrian's Facebook feed. My stomach plummeted as I tapped the screen to see that Hugo had tagged me in the photo. 

'What's wrong?' Adrian asked me, his voice worried.

It took me a while to compose myself again, and answer. 'My parents', I managed to say.

My parents were friends with me on Facebook.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As you can probably tell, I attempted to write a soccer game! Please do message me if I got something wrong or if it's confusing!!! Thanks for reading :)

Hugs and kisses, 

Colleen <^~^>

P.s If you don't have Facebook, you need to know that if you get tagged in a picture, all your friends will see that picture in their feed! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30 0 15
In her world full of trauma, entrepreneurship, loyalty, and insecurities, she finally decides to disappear from everything. Aside from her breakup wi...
45 0 8
It's a beautiful love story of a girl ( Aurora ) who have a crush on her classmate ( Sam ) from childhood, after graduation she confessed her feeling...
203K 8.5K 23
'Accidents happen'. That's what people say. Yet, some accidents take away from us more than others. Ethan had it all. Everything was lined up in fr...
14.8K 515 28
Chloe, the normal grade 9 girl. Everything went great in her first year of high school. Will it be the same this year? Or will everything change for...