Searching for Love

By Sweetpeas

She wanted to marry for love the second time around, he just didn't want to marry. Undenailble forces and a b... More

Chapter One - Searching for Love
Chapter Two - Searching for Love
Chapter Four - Searching for Love
Chapter Five - Searching for Love
Chapter Six - Searching for Love
Chapter Seven - Searching for Love
Chapter Eight - Searching for Love
Chapter Nine - Searching for Love
Chapter Ten - Searching for Love
Chapter Eleven - Searching for Love
Chapter Twelve - Seaching for Love
Chapter Thirteen - Searching for Love
Chapter Fourteen - Searching for Love
Chapter Fifteen - Searching for Love
Chapter Sixteen - Searching for Love
Chapter Seventeen - Searching for Love
Chapter Eighteen - Searching for Love
Chapter Nineteen - Searching for Love
Chapter Twenty - Seaching for Love
Chapter Twenty-One - Seaching for Love
Chapter Twenty-Two - Searching for Love
Epilogue - Searching for Love

Chapter Three - Searching for Love

23.4K 701 26
By Sweetpeas

Here you go.....I hope you enjoy it.    Let me know what you think and please....please VOTE and COMMENT!!!

Many thanks!

S xo

Chapter Three

I‘m loving the new gown that Stephen had purchased for me.   I asked Irina for advice on the color and fabric and she had to agree with Stephen, blue would look beautiful on me.   With my dark chestnut hair, my porcelain skin…..blue on me makes my eyes stand out more, instead of looking green, they look more like the ocean.

I explained to Irina that I was not allowed to display my charms, but she told me that she would put them out on display, but nothing that would make Stephen upset. 

Hmmmm….how do you like that?  

He expects me to find someone to love and marry, but I know men, they want to see what they are going to get.   The bodice is done in navy blue crushed velvet, three quarter sleeves trimmed in white lace.   My bodice is low cut but with the trimming of white lace, the scoop neck appears to be much higher.  Stephen should approve.  

I’m leaving my hair down, all cascading curls down my back.   The sides are being pinned up with my diamond combs.    I’ll be wearing my sapphire and diamond necklace with my gown, the colors will work perfectly.

“Clarissa, you look beautiful!  Thank you for taking my advice on the cut and color of the gown, all the other woman invited here this evening will be envious of you." 

“Thank you Stephen, you look handsome as well.   When will your guests be arriving?”

“We have about 20 minutes until they arrive.   I would like you to stand with me and greet our guests.”

So many people have come through, I don’t know how I’m going to remember all of their names.   I hope Stephen doesn’t expect me to, because I’m sure that I’ll be making a mistake or two.    Oh….well here comes three dashing devils.   These must be Stephen’s closer friends that he’s been waiting for.

“Gentlemen, so nice of you to come.   Let me introduce you to my ward, Lady Clarissa Remmington”

“Clarissa, this is Lord Jonathon, third Viscount of Cumberland”

Going down in a curtsey, Clarissa extended her hand to the Viscount and made her acquaintance with him.

“This is Lord Royce, seventh Earl of Wexton”

Curtseying to the Earl, Clarissa extended her hand and made her acquaintance with Lord Royce.

 Last, but not least, Clarissa thought she never saw the most beautiful gentleman ever.   Dark brown hair, curling along his nape to give it a longer appearance, gave him a roguish look.  It looked so soft, like silk.  Dark…….dark blue eyes, almost black.    He was very tall, very muscular and commanded attention.

“Clarissa, may I present to you His Grace, Lord Lucas , Sixth Duke of Langley”

Oh my, I better make sure my curtsey is deeper for the Duke.    Lowering herself even more and gracefully standing, she extended her hand to the Duke.    

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Your Grace”

“Bath, where have you been keeping this beauty hidden?   The pleasure is all mine Lady Clarissa” the Duke replied kissing her hand.

“Langley, Lady Clarissa is the sister of my dearest friend Lord Mark, he was the Fifth Earl of Glouster.  Lady Clarissa is now my ward, Mark’s eldest son is only 9 years of age.    Clarissa has been in mourning for the past two years.  Her husband and Mark died in battle two years ago.   Mark was my friend that saved my life.   Her two year mourning period has now ended.   That is probably why I have never had the opportunity to introduce her to any of you”.

“You are a widow?    You seem quite young, you must have married at an early age.”  asked the Duke.

“I was betrothed from birth Your Grace and I was married at 17.   I only spent a week with my husband when he was called off on the King’s duty and then he perished on the battle field.”  replied Clarissa.

“Bath, have you considered giving Lady Clarissa her coming out ball?  I know that she is a widow, but she is still at the age for a ball.   I could host it if you like.”  asked the Duke.

“Thank you Langley, but I have mentioned a ball to Clarissa, but she refuses.   She is technically correct, she is a widow and unfortunately in our society, balls held in honor of a woman’s coming out is usually a virgin” Bath replied dryly.

“Thank you Your Grace for your kind offer, but I do not want to have a ball in my honor” said Clarissa.

“Stephen………Burke has just motioned that dinner is about to be served, we should all take our seats.   Gentlemen, if you will follow me, I will show you where you are to be seated”.

“Bath….a moment please, gentlemen……go on ahead, we will be just a minute.      Bath, are you really her guardian?    You mean even though she is a widow, she cannot chose her next husband until you approve of the match?”

“Look Lucas, she is only 19 years of age, she is still young, inexperience and quite wealthy.   Her husband’s estate was left to her.    She was only married to him for a week before he left to do the King’s bidding.    Her brother’s dying words were to take care of her and that I was appointed her guardian to see that she was to marry the second time for love.  There was no love in her first marriage.   Mark wants me to see that she is happy the second time around.”

 “Hmmmmmm…..I want to sit beside her at dinner.  Can you arrange that Bath?”

“Listen Lucas, I already know what you are thinking, stay away from her.   You are a rake…..hell….we all are rakes, I will not let you make her your mistress.   I know your feelings on marriage.   Duke or no Duke, she is not a wanton and she will be treated with respect.

 Sorry….and no, the seating arrangements have already been made, Clarissa would be upset if I started rearranging place settings right when dinner is about to be served.”

******************************************************************

What did you think?    Let me know..........please VOTE and COMMENT!!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 201 17
Cover made by @jillybean2416. A young Duke ready to settle down. A young lady ready for love. A cruel and heartless monarch determined to keep them a...
Chasing Charlotte By Em

Historical Fiction

344K 14.3K 19
Charlotte Cecil was always a beauty, elegant and refined in disposition. However, the moment she opens her mouth, all propriety of a lady is thrown o...
42.9K 1.9K 22
In order to save her family's reputation, Ella Hunter agrees to marry a mysterious nobleman looking to save his family's fortune.
Hunters By Lyssrus

Historical Fiction

735K 30.4K 30
[1885; England] Lecia Harper can hardly accept her fate: marriage. When her father seemingly pawns her off to a Duke, horror and abandonment are only...