Hardened

By TheCandyChild

When Rin Kagamine's brother reappears after two years as mysteriously as he disappeared, Miku Hatsune's life... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapt 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapt 8
Chapter 9
Chapt 10
Chapt 11
Chapt 12
Chapt13
Chapt 15
Chapter 16
Chapt 17
Chapt 18
Chapt 19
Chapt 20
Chapt 21
Chapt 22
Chapt 23
Chapt 24
Teaser
dEteRMinED

Chapt 14

716 37 20
By TheCandyChild

Miku
As soon as Miku entered the Kagamine household, the first thing she heard was Rin yell, "Bitch, I will fucking beat your ass if you go to school today! You will stay the fuck home or I swear to the God of pain I will-" Kaito blinked as he entered the kitchen.

The first thing Miku saw when she entered the kitchen was Rin standing in front of a figure that was completely covered in a fleece blanket, like a ghost. She raised her eyebrows. "What's going on here?" She asked. She wasn't really sure if she wanted to know the answer to that question, but she was curious as hell. Rin huffed and crossed her arms.

"My stupid-" The person under the blanket threw the front part up so their face was revealed, confirming Miku's suspicion that it was Len. He glared at Rin. His nose was red and his cheeks were flushed, as though he had a fever.

"I'm not the one failing math!" He snapped. His voice was slightly hoarse and rough, as if he had a sore throat. Rin scoffed and rolled her eyes, brushing her hair out of her face.

"Oi! I'm not the one here that believe in Santa until the age of 13!"

"But I didn't nearly set the house on fire making spaghetti!"

"Hey! That was an accident!"

"Obviously, I don't think you'd set the kitchen on fire on purpose unless you really fucking hated that poor table!"

"It was my first time cooking spaghetti!"

"You don't say!"

Rin opened her mouth to retort, but Kaito beat her to it. "I'm confused." He said, simply. Rin paused and looked at him, then leaned against the counter.

"Stupid Len's sick, but he keeps saying he's not and insists that he's fine and he can go to school!" Len shot her a glare.

"Because I'm not sick!" He protested. "You're just delusional." Rin scoffed.

"That's your defense for everything!" She shot back. "'Oh, you seem tired.' 'You're delusional.' 'Oh, I think you may be sick!' 'You're delusional.' 'I think you're in love with that cute teal-haired girl named Miku.' 'You're delusional.'" Len hissed at the last example.

"Don't make me throw out all the oranges in the house," He growled. "Because believe me, I will." Rin flinched, a look of absolute horror on her face before a terrifying look overtook her face as she glared daggers at Len.

"No fucking way," She snarled. "You wouldn't, not when I'm in the room right next to yours when you're sound asleep..." Len crossed his arms. Miku raised her eyebrows. It was unwise to simply talk about throwing oranges out around Rin- she knew from experience.

"Don't test me." He replied. Rin narrowed her eyes at him.

"...You're still staying home." She told him. He scoffed.

"Oh, come on- what the fuck are you doing?" Len said. Miku was just about done with their bullshit. She didn't want to be late. She walked over to Len, pushed his bangs up, and slapped her hand on his forehead. He was burning up. He slapped her hand away.

"Too hot." She said, simply.

"Hot damn!" Kaito hooted from the back. The three turned to look at the blue-haired male. He shrugged, not seeming bothered by their blank stares. "I saw an opportunity and took it, is that so wrong?" Len snorted and rolled his eye.

"It is when you're quoting a retarded song." He grumbled under his breath.

"What was that, Lenny boy~"

"Nothing."

"Hmm, that's what I thought."

It took nearly a half hour, but they finally managed to get Len to agree to stay home. All it took was a few threats and a near-hug from Kaito.

~*~
"Haa? Len's sick?" IA asked, tilting her head. Kaito nodded with a small sigh.

"Yeah, unfortunately." He said, pouting. "I hope he feels better soon. I don't like it when Len's sick- whenever he gets sick he looks so miserable." IA raised her eyebrows.

"Oh?" She mused. "Hm. I wonder how Len looks defenseless and weak and all sick. It's probably gonna be adorable and hilarious. Can I come with you guys? I gotta drop something off to him, anyways." She said. Rin shrugged.

"Sure, whatever." She told IA. "I don't care. Plus, you're not only Len's friend, but I consider you ours, too. 'Sides, I think it's gonna be pretty rare to see Len sneeze cutely so many times and wrap himself in a blanket like a burrito, so I suggest you see it while you can." IA grinned and happily bounced their way. She made her way up to Miku and threw her arm around her while Kaito and Rin went on ahead, talking about video games and music.

Miku would've been fine with the position she and IA were in under normal circumstances, but for some odd reason, the silent reminder that she and Len had spent nearly a whole night together, doing whatever Miku didn't know about, nagged at the back of her mind. She didn't know why it annoyed her so much, not knowing whether or not they were doing unholy things or if they had more fun together than Len's ever had in his whole life. She frowned.

IA seemed to notice this. "Aw, what's wrong, Miku dear?" She asked. "Why do you have a frown on that pretty lil' face of yours?" Miku didn't reply at first, but when she did, all she mumbled was,

"It's nothing." IA paused, then eyed her for a minute, calculating. She grinned.

"...You're still a bit hung up on the fact that Len and I spent a night together, aren't you?" IA asked teasingly. Miku bristled immediately and she opened her mouth to deny it, but IA interrupted her.

"It's all right, you needn't worry. He's not interested in me, so there's nothing going on between us," She chuckled. IA paused then looked around before leaning in slightly. "But if you really wanna know what we did that took the whole night, I'll tell you." IA grinned toothily at Miku before continuing.

"We spent the whole night planning pranks and pranking people I hate," She snickered. "It was hilarious. You know, I had to put make-up on him so he'd be harder to recognize. It was fucking gold." Miku felt a sense of relief flood through her. Why, she didn't know, but she did know that IA was telling the truth about her and Len not being...together in that way. Hm. It's only because I didn't want them to be in an awkward relationship- that'd be nasty and jeopardize their relationship. That's all.

"But, you know, I bet he's real interested in you," IA giggled. Miku scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Oh, be quiet," She muttered. "It's not-"

"Yooo! We're back, Len!" Kaito yelled as Rin opened the door and walked in. However, they were greeted by silence. Miku raised her eyebrows. "Len? You okay? Where you at?" Kaito called out again, and receiving no response once more. IA raised her eyebrows.

"Maybe he's asleep somewhere. Lets search the house," She suggested. Miku nodded.

"Good idea," Miku said. She made her way up the stairs and cautiously opened the door to Len's room and peered inside. The room was neat, but Len wasn't in there. She raised her eyebrows, having the strong and sudden urge to explore his room, but quickly shot the idea down.

He'd kill me if he found out, She thought, shuddering inwardly at the thought of facing Len's wrath as she silently closed the door. After a few more minutes of searching the house, the group met downstairs with no Len.

"He's gone," Rin said, sighing. "I found a note." She held out a scrap of paper with Len's curvy, cursive-like handwriting.

Don't shit your pants.

Went out. I'll be back.
-Len

Kaito frowned. "Oh no," He said. "He's sick, too...he shouldn't be out when he's not feeling well...I hope he's okay..." He bit his lip. IA raised her eyebrows.

"He'll be fine," She reassured. Miku sighed.

"Yeah, well..." Miku mumbled. "I wonder where he went..."

Meanwhile...

Ha. They thought they could keep the restless Len Kagamine indoors for a whole day? That was hilarious! The Kagamine would've normally gladly stayed home and ate chicken soup and watched a movie while walking around the house half-naked, but that was two years ago. Len was always restless, now, refusing to do nothing and be bored out of his mind. However, because Rin might come back to an empty house with no sign of her brother, he decided to at least write a note. That was, at least, if he wasn't finished by the time she got home, which was unlikely, since the idea of Rin all alone in the house didn't sit well with him. Which was why he was going to be quick. He was going to do this in a calm, collected manner, he was going to do this fast, no messing around-

"Achoo!"

Len leaped back, sniffing as he felt another sneeze begin to build up. "Achoo! Achoo!" He sneezed. So much for no messing around. He wrinkled his nose. Are you fucking kidding me? Now's not the time to be spraying snot everywhere! He internally scolded, though he couldn't help sneezing. Fuck my life. His opponent grinned at him.

"How cute~" She cooed. "The Devil's Dog is so cute with his little kitten sneeze  and when he's not about to spill my guys everywhere!" Len scowled as she dodged his attack yet again. His target this time was Iroha Nekomura. Being one of Blackport's few willing experiments and members, she was part cat, which naturally gave her quick, cat-like reflexes and such. Hell, she even had pink-colored cat ears on her head and a damned tail that troubled Len to no end.

She tilted her head and blinked her feline-like eyes at him. Len saw her tail flicker behind her, and he ducked just as she threw a multiple darts at him. Managing to do a series of rolls and flips, he dodged them all, though the needle on one of them grazed his arm. Close call, he thought grimly. He watched warily as she leaped from various places quickly so that she was above Len. Without hesitation, she grinned and swiped at the chandelier above him, and the elegant and expensive piece fell towards him. He rolled out of the way and the chandelier landed with a loud crash!

Before he could fully recover, he felt himself being pinned down to the floor and the face of a cheerful, grinning Iroha Nekomura loomed over him. Len, thinking quickly, grabbed her tail and yanked on it as hard as he could. Iroha's eyes grew wide and she let out a shriek. Len shoved her off and reached for his dagger, but as soon as he turned back, Iroha was nearly across the room. She nursed her tail delicately.

Pink dusted her cheeks as she glared at Len. "That hurt," She pouted, looking down and inspecting her nails. Claws were a more accurate description, however. They were painted a bright pink with glitter rimming the end of the claw, and Len found himself silently criticizing her choice in nailpolish. "That's also so dirty, you know! It's like punching a woman in the boob, or kicking a guy in the nuts..." Len raised his eyebrows.

"Oh?" He said. "Good. Tha- achoo!" He cut himself off with another sneeze. Iroha took advantage of that and leaped toward him, extending her hands. Len moved to the side at the last minute. He found it a bit hard to concentrate with his throbbing headache, but he managed to send a fruitless kick toward her head. Maybe doing this while I'm sick was a bad idea... She reached up and scratched the side of his face, leaving cat-like scratches on his right cheek. Shit. How am I gonna explain that to Rin? Fuck my life. He reached inside his pocket, grabbed his small emergency knife, and stabbed her in the shoulder. She let out a pained yowl and sent her furiously swishing tail, which was curled around one of the small darts that had failed to hit him earlier, toward his face. He ducked and with his hand balled into a fist threw a punch toward her face.

She merely hissed and dodged the attack, then pulled the dagger out of her shoulder with a wince. She bared her fangs at him, eyes wide with rage. "Rude!" She growled, narrowing her eyes. "...The money'd better be worth it." She grumbled, crouching down and leaping toward the Kagamine. He ducked and Iroha ended up on the floor. She quickly got back to her feet and began fighting.

She wasn't throwing punches, though; it was more like she was trying to scratch Len's face off. Despite how unorganized and reckless it sounded, it was the opposite. She was doing graceful spins and performing dirty moves that Len nearly fell for a few times. He was so occupied deflecting and dodging her attacks that he didn't notice her tail slowly but surely snaking nearer and nearer toward his ankle.

She wrapped her tail around Len's ankle and pulled, making him topple over. Before she could pin him down or drug him while he was on the floor, defenseless and out of weapons, he decided to use the only thing he had.

He yanked the rubber band that held his ponytail together loose, despite the obvious pain of his hair getting pulled, and as Iroha was about to pounce, he shot it and it hit her right between the eyes. She hissed in pain and rubbed the spot where it had hit her. He got back to his feet immediately and roundhouse kicked her. It was, surprisingly, successful. Cool. I didn't think that'd actually work, He mused as he watched her stumble back. She narrowed her eyes and growled. She extended her leg and kicked at Len's face, but he caught her ankle and flipped her over. She let out a yell.

"Don't look up my skirt!" She screeched as she pushed the bottom part of her skirt down so it wouldn't flare. Len found it somewhat comical, how she could be worrying about an enemy looking up her skirt when she was literally in mid-air, in the middle of a fight. Len was expecting her to land on the floor gracefully, but that wasn't the case.

Instead, her tail shot out and wrapped itself around a large, curved steel bar that hung from the ceiling. Why it was installed there in the first place, he didn't know, and almost immediately, she brought the back of her feet up to one of the steel parts and launched herself off. She pulled something out of her sleeve and threw it at him. Whatever it was, it was more than one. A small shower of small, steel sharp objects with a glowing tip came speeding toward him. He managed to duck and dodge, but one of them buried itself in his arm. He pulled it out and waited for the pain, but instead he felt...

Nothing.

That concerned him. It concerned him even more when he found that he couldn't make his legs move. Iroha was getting closer- if he didn't move, she'd tackle him. What the fuck?! He thought hurriedly as he tried to force his legs to move with no progress. Move, you fucking useless, stupid piece of shit!

Iroha tackled him to the floor, grinning. "Like that little device? It slowly paralyzes you for about...ten minutes? It's not very long, but it's enough to allow me to knock you out. Blackport made it especially for you~" She said, grinning. "Speaking of which...how's Rei? Okay, I hope?" Len clenched his jaw and shot her a glare.

"Oh, touchy subject?" She said, frowning. She shrugged, not waiting for Len's response. "Oh well. Project Rebirth is in its final stages, by the way. All we need now is-"

"Oh, fuck you, bitch." Len spat. Iroha raised her eyebrows, her face one of mock hurt.

"Potty mouth!" She gasped. "Hm. I suppose I should tranquilize you now...ah, all the money I'll get! The riches! The mountains of clothes, the food, the food I can buy with all that money!" She smiled happily, a content look on her face as her tail swished around. "Seafood every day...lobster...sushi...steak...chicken...pasta...shrimp...ham..." She moaned, sighing with content. She looked down at Len then pulled a syringe from her pocket.

"I hope you know that it's nothing personal- just business." She told him. Len glanced to the side. Shards of glass from the broken chandelier lay on the floor. If he stretched enough, he could probably get a piece. But he knew that Iroha was underestimating him. She thought that she had won, and she'd take her sweet, sweet time knocking him out, so if he lunged for it now, she'd probably very quickly tranquilize him. So he had one shot at this, and he'd be damned if he fucked it up.

"...But I do have to say, thank you, for allowing me to win a fortune~" Iroha cooed, grinning as she raised the syringe.

He was going numb all over. It was only a matter of time before he'd lose control of his arms...

He could feel the needle getting closer and closer to his neck.

For a moment, he considered giving up. It seemed fruitless. But then, as if it were a beacon of hope, an image of all his friends flashed before his eyes. Rin, Kaito, IA...

The needle was so close to his neck he could feel the sharp, sinister tip grazing against his neck.

Miku.

With a sudden burst of confidence, he grabbed Iroha's wrist and reached for the shard of glass. It was just out of his grasp, but if he reached just a bit more...

He felt Iroha struggling to pierce the needle into his flesh, but he also had to try and get that shard of glass. It was like multi-tasking. "Achoo!" He sneezed. Iroha squealed and for a split second stopped.

"Ew!" She gagged. "Gross!" Reaching forth, he felt the glass on his fingertips. He brought it just a little closer and grabbed it.

He turned and stabbed it into Iroha's chest just as she was about to stab the needle into his neck. She froze, dropping the syringe in her hand as blood leaked from her mouth. She looked down at where she was currently being stabbed. "Sorry to ruin your nasty sexual food dreams, sweetheart," He growled. "But I've got people waiting on me." He shoved Iroha's body off of him and let go of the glass shard.

He sighed after laying there for a moment. Now that the adrenaline rush was nearly gone and his freedom and future was no longer being threatened, he realized how shitty he felt. His head throbbed painfully, his throat was incredibly sore and dry, he was extremely tired, his nose was stuffy as fuck, and he felt cold, though he was currently running a fever. He was about to sit up, but he found that he couldn't. He paused, then groaned loudly.

The stuff that Iroha shot him with must be kicking in. How long was he supposed to stay like this before he could finally move again? 10 minutes, was it? Len sighed. First he feels like horse shit, then he has to deal with Iroha's dead eyes staring holes into the side of his head for 10 minutes while he lay there, paralyzed and completely helpless, and then after that he had to go home all battered-looking and come up with a story for that, (maybe he could use his 10 minutes of staring at the ceiling wisely after all) and he lost his rubber band. Great. He groaned.

Fuck my life.

Miku
"Oi! Where were you?!" Rin yelled as soon as the door opened. "What happened?" A tired-looking Len was revealed, and Miku winced. On his right cheek was a long scratch from what looked like a cat. His hair was down and was all over the place, sticking up and seeming messier than usual. His cheeks were flushed, still, and he rolled his eye.

"I went out." He replied. "Shocking, right?" Rin sighed.

"You shouldn't be going out when you're unwell, Len," Kaito scolded, frowning. "You worry me, you know! You left your phone here so we couldn't call you. Do you know how scared I was when we couldn't find you?! I thought you got abducted my aliens or something!" Len rolled his eye again.

"You're so stupid," He grumbled under his breath. He made his way to the couch and collapsed on it with a sigh.

"What happened to you, Lenny boy?" IA asked. Len raised his eyebrows, looked up, and groaned loudly upon seeing a grinning IA standing near the doorway. "Didja get in a brawl with a kitty cat? It looks like the cat won."

"Damn it, I thought I wouldn't have to see you today..." He grumbled. "Why the hell are you here?" IA shrugged. She looked for something in her pocket, then tossed it to Len, who caught it. He opened his hand to reveal a simple ring sitting on his palm. It was silver, one side rimmed with a light, icy blue and the other side rimmed with a deep blood red one. Len paused, analyzing the ring, then he finally looked up at IA. "It's from a friend of mine named Yohio." She explained. Len nodded slightly.

"I see..." He said. "Is this the Yohio I've heard about?" She nodded.

"Mhm. So what happened to your face?" Len rolled his eye.

"Gee, nice way of phrasing it," He said, sarcastically. "I...was attacked by a cat." He said. Miku couldn't help but snort at the mental image of a cute, cuddly cat attacking the scary, intimidating Len. He shot her a glare. "Shut up, leek freak." He snipped. He grabbed a fleece blanket that was nearby and threw it on himself. Kaito frowned.

"Oh, dear." He said. "Are you cold?" Len snorted.

"No, Kaito," He replied, sarcastically. "I just have this thick blanket covering me because I'm making a fashion statement." Kaito pouted.

"Sarcastic as always!" He huffed. "I'll go make you chicken soup. My aunt always made it for me when I was sick. Maybe it'll help with your sore throat." said Kaito, smiling as he walked to the kitchen. About 20 seconds later, he called back, "Uh...so I don't know how to make chicken soup..." Rin scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Idiot," She mumbled. "I suppose I should go help him before he burns the house down or floods the kitchen...c'mon, IA." She said, tugging IA to the kitchen, leaving Len and Miku alone. Miku eyed Len curiously. I wonder what happened to him? She thought. She didn't really buy the 'I was attacked by a cat' thing. He looked exhausted, and his movements were sluggish and he looked deprived of energy. Jesus, he looks beat. Even his hairtie is missing. She rarely ever saw Len's hair out of its ponytail, so she was a bit curious as to why it was down, although he did look nice with his hair down, she'll admit.

"Were you being a retard and doing something stupid again?" Miku questioned. Len scoffed.

"Ha? What do you mean again?" He snorted. "You're the one that does all the stupid shit! In fact, you do something retarded every day!"

"No I don't!"

"Yes, you do. Remember that one time when you wasted your Valentine's Day on a date with a piece of shit?"

"Remember that one time you somehow got thrown into a pool while your wound was still healing? Speaking of which, how-"

"None of your business." He interrupted. "...But at least I didn't fall asleep in class and wake up in the middle of a lecture yelling 'Fuck off, you sad excuse of a leek!" Miku felt her cheeks burn at the memory. She was mortified just thinking about it, even though it happened nearly a month ago.

"S-Shut up!" She hissed. "I haven't done anything dumb to-" She faltered for a minute, a certain memory from that day flashing in her mind. "-day..." Len raised his eyebrows.

"Oh really, leek freak?"

"Yup."

"You absolutely sure?"

"...Mhm."

"...You're not being truthful, are you?" He said. "Tell me, what'd you do this time?" Miku puffed her cheeks embarrassedly and looked away.

"So, you know...um, you know Ted Kasane?" She mumbled. Len wrinkled his nose, his face disgusted.

"Ugh. That egotistic asshole that thinks he's all high and mighty when in reality everyone hates him and thinks he's a disgusting pig? The one with the girly ponytail?" Ted was one of the playboys at Crypton High, being the one of the 'cool, rough & tough kids' and being rarely rejected. Miku hated his arrogance and guts. Once Ted had tried to hit on Rin and even tried to kiss her, but unfortunately for the red-haired bastard, Len was there. Ted ended up wearing a black eye to school the next day. Miku snorted.

"You have a ponytail too, idiot."

"At least mine isn't bright red and doesn't go to my waist with some retarded twirl at the end of it." He retorted. Miku rolled her eyes, but continued anyways.

"So was sneaking up behind me and I, um...kind of kicked him in the nuts..." She mumbled. "It turns out that he was gonna ask me out...but then when I injured him, he ran away yelling curses and I think he was crying?" Miku rubbed the back of her neck. She may have felt a little bad for the guy if he wasn't such an asshole. She peeked at Len. He was shaking, his head down and hair covering his face. Miku pursed her lips. She knew how protective he could be, and she didn't necessarily want Len to bash Ted's face in again.

"Len, are you alr- hey! Are you-" She noticed that his shoulders were shaking and small chuckles were slipping through his lips, and she pushed him lightly. He raised his head and she saw that he wasn't angry at all- he was laughing.

He finally stopped trying to muffle his laughter and instead let his loud laughter be heard. Miku noticed that he had dimples and, despite his appearance, a boyish, hearty, and even slightly contagious laugh, as Miku felt the corners of her mouth pulling upward in a small smile. It was her first time actually seeing the male Kagamine laugh- not chuckle or snicker, but actually laugh. "No way!" He cackled between bursts of laughter. "You- You made the 'cool' and 'tough' Ted Kasane cry? The one that supposedly beat up a group of gangsters? Good God, that's fucking gold!" After a while. his laughter died off, and he put his poker face back on, much to Miku's hidden disappointment.

He looks nice when he smiles. He should really do it more often, She thought to herself as IA entered the room. She watched as Len and IA bickered. A small smile graced her lips.

I suppose I should work harder on getting that beautiful smile on his face more often.

IT'S RAINING LENKU

HALLELUJAH

IT'S RAINING LENKU

Fuck my Life count: 3

but holy s h i t guys. I feel like this chapter wasn't written well, especially the Iroha/Len fight scene (so sorry bout that btw) so bear with me? Please? Also, a new character and an old one will be in the next chapter! Nehehe.

Please leave a comment! What's Project Rebirth? What do they need for its 'final stage?' Was the ring Yohio, Len's new sword? Who do you think is gonna be the new character? Who do you think is gonna be re-introduced? Again, don't be shy! Say all you want about this chapter in the comment section!

Ciao~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.1K 654 40
Miku and Mikuo Hatsune twins were living a simple life. Friends, enemies, maybe love. No, for them, there wasn't love. But their life had changed wh...
14.7K 504 77
Miyu knew she would move in with the Sakamaki brothers from a young age. Now, it's finally time. While living with them, she starts to uncover her p...
10.3K 761 49
Miku is always ignored. At home her brother and father don't acknowledge her unless they want something. At school she has learned over the years to...
19.9K 415 45
[Completed!] (Vocaloid Universe Alteration (UA)) She was just another one of them. With a sneer, Rin talked of her long term friend with disdain, hor...