For the Best (MakoHaru)

By SakitheChibi

Haru's worst fear of losing Makoto came true when Makoto got a girlfriend. Haru realized that he loved Makoto... More

Chapter 1- Define Love
Chapter 2- Drop the -chan
Chapter 3- Comfort
Chapter 5- Question Mark
Chapter 6- Haru's Memories
Chapter 7- Night At Rin's
Chapter 8- Welcome to Ouran High
Chapter 9- Haru's Depression
Chapter 10- Can't you Understand?
Chapter 11- Heartbroken
Chapter 12- Hospital
Chapter 13- It's Over
Chapter 14- Happily Ever After
Author's Note

Chapter 4- Friend-zoned

4.3K 189 453
By SakitheChibi

"Haru, you needed to talk?" Makoto asked, closing the door behind them.

The two returned to Haru's house. Haru found out that Makoto sent over a hundred calls and text messages. Haru could see that Makoto cared about him, but cared enough to love him? Not there yet. Haru was friend zoned.

Now that Haru thought about it, he didn't have much to say to Makoto. 

That was a lie.

Haru tried to restrain himself from spilling everything inside of him. It felt like vomit, sickening words bubbling in his throat. The things he needed to say to Makoto? Plenty. But things he wanted to say to Makoto? Not much.

Haru shrugged. He truly had nothing he wanted to talk about. Nothing as in nothing about love. Haru didn't want to talk about love, Haruhi, boyfriends, anything. Unless it had to do with love between him and Makoto. That was something Haru wanted to talk about. But what were the chances that Makoto would agree on such an obscure topic? 

"Well, there must be something," Makoto thought. He snapped his fingers. "Did I ever tell you how I met Haru-chan?"

No. Do I want you to tell me? No.

Yet, Haru was curious. How did Haruhi meet such an extraordinary man?

"Well, it all started on the first month of school. Apparently, I was quite popular with the girls..."

Yay. Something I didn't want him to talk about.

"So these two people, Haninozuka and Morinozuka approached me one day. They said that I reminded them of their dear friends. Then, we became great friends! They took me around the world, and I got to see so many places!"

Woohoo. We never got to do those things with Makoto.

Could it be that Makoto was closer to Haninozuka and Morinozuka than he was with Haru? Impossible.

"They took me to Ouran High School Academy, a place where the super rich go. I was introduced to the 3rd-years, Kyoya and Tamaki, and 2nd-years Hikaru and Kaoru, who are twins. And of course, Haruhi."

Haru winced at the name of Makoto's girlfriend. Her name reminded him that he would never have Makoto.

"We became best friends, and they taught me how to be a host! Basically, it's entertaining girls by being a gentleman. Perhaps that's how I got Haruhi to like me!"

Although Makoto continued to talk, Haru zoned out. He was too busy in his own world. Haru had restrained himself from making any friends at his swimming-based college. He was afraid he would lose the friendship he cherished with Makoto.

Makoto, on the other hand, made tons of friends, who bought him plane tickets and expensive things. Haru knew that he couldn't give Makoto those things, although Makoto did deserve them. Perhaps it was best for Makoto to be their friends instead of Haru's. Haru just wanted Makoto to be happy.

Alas, Haru was also extremely selfish and preferred that Makoto was to be happy with him.

"I'm sorry, Haru," The mention of his name snapped Haru out of his thoughts. "I'm boring you."

Haru kept his head down.

"What would you like to talk about?"

Haru got up and shuffled towards his bathroom.

"Haru please,"  Makoto grabbed Haru's wrist, preventing Haru from getting any closer to his bathtub. "You seem so down. This isn't the Haru I remember."

It was getting harder and harder for Haru to keep it all inside. Accidentally, he let some of his rage out.

"You have Haruhi, you don't need me."

Makoto let go of Haru, allowing him to quickly strip and hop in the bathtub. Due to their friendship, Haru could tell that Makoto was hurt. Makoto was hurt because he knew he hurt Haru. Typical Makoto.

Haru felt guilty for treating Makoto harshly, but he honestly didn't know what else to do. Although he enjoyed the attention, he knew that if he continued to ignore Makoto, there was a chance that Makoto would leave him altogether. Then it was really too late. 

"I'm not leaving until you talk to me," Makoto pouted, crouching next to the bathtub.

Haru had submerged himself in water, refusing to meet Makoto's stare. The two of them both knew that Haru had to come up again for air.

Whatever. I'd rather drown. Yea, suicide. No point in living without Makoto.

Haru could feel his lungs almost explode. His throat was aching, and his body pleaded for air. Ignore the pain, it'll be over soon. However, before Haru could arrive at the stage of unconsciousness, two hands grabbed him and tried to tug him upwards. With the little strength he had, he tried to escape the force, but he lost. 

"Breathe! Breathe you idiot!" Makoto shouted, shaking Haru vigorously. "Don't you dare drown yourself!" 

Makoto was breathing heavily, shaking. His eyes were filled with fear. Fear of what? Perhaps we should take a trip down the memory lane, back to grade school.

Haru had tried to save a young girl's scarf from a raging river, but accidentally fell in. Thankfully, Makoto and Rin managed to find Haru and save him just in time. Any second later, and Haru would've died. Haru was sent to the hospital for examination. Perhaps that experience eternally scarred  Makoto?  

I feel bad for making Makoto worry, although he worries over the dumbest things. I know! Haru grabbed Makoto's face, bringing it closer to him. Although he felt bad, Haru kissed Makoto, on the lips.

He knew what came after the short pleasure- scolding, complaining, and rejection. Surprisingly, Makoto returned the kiss, and the two shared a lingering kiss for a short moment.

"Haru, you know I can't do this," Makoto blushed, feeling quite guilty. "You know I have a girlfriend."

"She has Takashi."

"Tamaki."

"What if she's cheating on you?"

"Haru-chan would never cheat on me, and I wouldn't either," Makoto explained. "I'm sorry, Haru."

"But you guys just met! Not for even a year! And you guys are dating already! What about us? We've known each other for about two decades, twenty years!"

"Haru I'm sorry, if I knew sooner... I didn't know you were gay."

"Only for you."

Makoto obviously felt extremely guilty. He had to choose between Haruhi and his best friend, Haruka.

"Haru...I'm sorry. I have to be there for Haruhi. She'd be disappointed in me if I cheated on her."

Haru sighed. "She's more important than me, correct?"

"No! You're the most important person in my life! Bu-"

"Then why would you-"

"Let me finish. She's more important in the love category. But you're the most important in my life," Makoto gave Haru a warm smile.

"I want more than this."

Makoto thought for a moment, then shook his head. "Haru, I gave you my friendship. I'm sorry I can't give you my heart. I already gave it to someone else."

Makoto gave Haru a hug, ignoring the point that his clothes got soaked. He didn't care, he just cared about Haru's well being. Makoto spent practically his whole life dedicated to Haru. He couldn't let Haru's life just slip away from his fingers. 

Perhaps,

Perhaps Makoto loves Haru as well?

Alas, feelings or not, Makoto swore that he wouldn't leave Haruhi's side. Therefore, he couldn't be with his childhood best friend.

The embrace would've continued for a longer period of time, but it was interrupted by Makoto's phone.

"Wei? Ah! Haruhi!"

Not her. She interrupted our hug, Haru was annoyed. He missed the warmth of Makoto's body, and of course the amazing smell of his shirt. Everything about Makoto was so perfect.

"What?" Makoto glanced at his watch. "Shoot! I'm so sorry, babe. I'll be there soon!"

Haru wanted Makoto to hug him more. He tried to signal Makoto to do so, but he just brushed it off.

"I have to go on a date with Haruhi! I forgot all about it. I promised her that I'd take her to the beach when we came to Iwami."

Haru gave Makoto a weak smile.

"Please don't kill yourself," Makoto gave Haru a short hug and left.

"I love you," Makoto said under his breath.

Sadly, Haru didn't hear him. That would've prevented Haru from getting any ideas of suicide. But Makoto knew that if he told Haru so, Haru would try to get Makoto to be his boyfriend. Typical Haru. That would only complicate things between the three.

It pained Makoto knowing that Haru shared the same feelings as he did, for each other. Makoto didn't have the guts to break up with Haruhi, but he knew that Haruhi was going to find out sooner or later. Makoto tried to deny that he wanted Haruhi to break up with him, so he could go with Haru.

That was something Makoto wouldn't dare live for. Being a player was a disgraced, something shunned upon. Therefore, Makoto tried his best to ignore and deny the feelings he had for Haru.

It was for the best.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

233K 6.1K 24
Enrolled in the all-prestigious Ouran High School, Fujioka Haruhi should be delighted. However, being in the Host Club was not something she had plan...
208K 6.8K 34
Tokimatsu Kazumi didn't have many friends at Ouran. As a Third Year, she didn't care about the majority of the things the other girls fawned about...
73.1K 4K 19
Summary: Haruka wasn't sure if he'd missed a step in the process, or just been born completely outside of it. He'd thought on several occasions, if o...
2.7K 38 25
Mari Tanaka is a first year student with the twins and Haruhi. One fateful day she walked into the club room with her best friend Momo Tachabina, wou...