Selfishly Possessive

By ashtxning

Carson Bailey is not an easy girl to befriend. With her constantly changing attitude and confusing actions, G... More

Introductions
Teaser
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty

Chapter Three

468 27 8
By ashtxning

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN: FEBRUARY 22ND, 2016

CHAPTER THREE

            Griffyn grimaces as he watches me apply eyeliner. "Ouch, doesn't that hurt? I'm never going to get used to that. You should stop wearing makeup and spare me the pain of watching you apply it."

            I roll my eyes and finish with the liner, capping it and throwing it into my makeup bag. "Griffyn, I didn't ask you to watch me. So just don't watch me do it." I was going invite Parker over, because at least she wouldn't complain about watching me do makeup, but she had to take Dixie to the vet, so that idea was quickly shut down.

            "Is it bad that I took that in a dirty way?" Griffyn asks. He only laughs when I chuck the pillow at him. He rolls around on my bed and I bite down the urge to yell at him. Am I the only one who gets annoyed when someone messes up my bed covers? Surely not.

            "Why are you so perverted?" I groan, starting on the mascara, meeting his eyes through the mirror. "I swear, you weren't this bad when I left you here for the summer."

            Griffyn smirks at me in the mirror and stretches, causing his shirt to ride up, revealing a sliver of his toned stomach. I force my eyes to not wander and congratulate myself when I keep my eyes locked on his. "Wes is starting to grow on me. Apparently, I've missed out on the perverted step in life, so I'm backtracking."

            I make a face at him and shove my mascara into the makeup bag, "That's literally the most stupid thing I've ever heard. You're lucky you skipped that stage. Because if I had to go through it with you, like I am now, I would've dropped your ass before you could say 'pumpkins'."

            "Pumpkins?" Griffyn asks, giving me a confused look. I stand up and place my makeup bag on my desk before facing him, still in a sitting position on the floor. "Why would I want to say pumpkins?"

            "Theoretically," I tell him, rolling my eyes before muttering, "God, you're such an idiot."

            "What did you say?" Griffyn asks, suddenly sitting up in my bed. He gives me a look with narrowed eyes. I'd say he looked dumb if I wasn't afraid of him tackling me and messing up my makeup.

            "Nothing," I say innocently. I give him a smile and shrug, standing up.

            "Yeah, that's what I thought," he grumbles, picking a piece of lent off of his shirt. And of course, he drops it onto my floor. No trash can, Griffyn? Thank you so much for littering in my room. I live to clean up after you.

            I roll my eyes and walk over to him to grab my outfit. I grab the hanger and pull, but it gets caught. I look down, slightly confused, and realize that it won't come free because Griffyn is sitting on it. "Excuse me."

            Griffyn raises his eyebrows at me, smirking. "You need anything, Carson?"

            "Um, yeah," I raise my eyebrows back. "I would love it if you stopped rubbing your butt on my clothes." I gesture to where he's sitting on my clothes and he moves around but doesn't get up.

             "Oh, is that what I'm doing?" Griffyn asks innocently, giving me a doe-eyed look.

            I groan, "Griffyn."

            "Carson," Griffyn groans back, mocking me. I resist the urge to smack him in the back of the head. That would definitely get him to shut up.

            "Give me my dress!" I check the time on the alarm clock beside my bed. Carolina is supposed to be here in less than half an hour and what am I doing? I'm fighting with Griffyn to get him off of my clothes. Maybe it was a bad idea to ask him for his company...

            "A dress? That's what this is? I thought it was a shirt." Griffyn frowns and gets off of the dress. I pull it to me triumphantly and when I do, he looks at it, making a face. "You're not wearing that."

            "Why not?" I hold it up to me and it goes to mid-thigh. The length isn't even that bad at all. "It's cute. And my mom got it for me over the summer."

            "Okay..." Griffyn slowly relents. "Question, though. Will there be any guys there?"

            I laugh. He sounds like my father. Well, not my father, I think as my smile starts to fall, but maybe someone else's father who's not an absolute ass. "No, not that I know of... Wait, yes. Carolina has a brother, I think he's down from college or something."

            "College guy? That's even worse than a high school boy!" Griffyn exclaims, following me as I start to walk towards my bathroom. I'm not so sure that I want to be having this conversation anymore. I mean, it's a harmless sleepover at my friend's house and he's turning it into a bigger deal than it is.

            "Uh huh, okay Griff," I turn and push him out of the bathroom for the second time in two days, shutting him out. "Don't worry about it. He probably doesn't even want to hang out with his kid sister and her friends."

            "Probably doesn't want to? Don't I get more assurance than that?" Griffyn whines from the other side of the door, slightly tapping on it.

            He keeps on whining as I slip on the sundress. I have tuned him out by the time I have it zipped and am checking myself out from every side in the mirror. Once I'm satisfied with the way it looks, I barge out of the bathroom.

            Griffyn looks me up and down, assessing my outfit. He frowns a little and messes with his hair. He seems to have lost his train of thought, "What was I saying? Oh yeah, I mean, what if he's a creep or something?"

            "You're still talking?" I joke, going to check out my full mirror leaned against the wall in my room. The outfit still looks the same as it did a few yards away in the bathroom mirror.

            Griffyn cuts off and glares at me, "Wow, now I know how much you value my opinion in this relationship." Relationship? My eyes widen, but he doesn't even notice he's said it. He probably just meant friendship and thought I'd understand if he used a different word.

            It's nothing to get worked up about, Carson, I tell myself.

            "So, Melody?" I ask without thinking. Griffyn stills with whatever he started doing on his phone and looks over at me. I blush with embarrassment. Could I be any more stupid? Why would I bring up Melody when I just barely got out of explaining why I'm not jealous yesterday?

            "What about her?"

            "Do you... I mean... You like her?" And just when I thought I couldn't get any more stupid... I pretend to check my makeup in the mirror, not wanting to look at him directly. I summon the courage to glance quickly at him through the mirror, but when he catches my eyes, the courage vanishes and I'm back to square one, busying myself with wiping away smudged eyeliner.

            "I only talked to her yesterday, Carson, and she was the one to come up to me. Why do you want to know so bad?" I know without looking that Griffyn is smirking, probably thinking that I'm some jealous friend, obsessed with him.

            Hate to break it to him, but that's not the case.

            "I don't..," I start, trying to word my words correctly, but it's like I have a complete word vomit and I just start spilling out words. "it's just... Isn't she a bit, I don't know... weird?"

            Griffyn makes a confused face, not following my words so I try to backtrack and start over. "I mean, she's got that frizzy reddish hair and oh my god, don't get me started on the acne!" As I get started talking about Melody, I begin to feel like I'm talking to Carolina and all of the thoughts just start spilling out. "And she can't even fill out her clothes. She's got zero curves whatsoever--"

            I stop when I catch the look that Griffyn is giving me through the mirror. I turn around to see him better and he's looking at me like he's never seen me before, disbelief and disappointment showing on his features. "What's happened to you?"

            "What- What do you mean?" I stutter a little under his gaze and realize that I don't like how he's looking at me. My facial expression must resemble a kicked puppy at the moment because that's just how I feel as he gives me that disappointed look. I can deal with getting that from my father, but from him? Not so much.

            "I mean, you've changed, Carson. Do Melody's looks even matter? They don't to me. Aren't you the one who told me to judge a person by their character?"

            "Yes, but--"

            "You would never have said those things, you never would have even thought those things, before you became friends with Carolina." He says, shaking is head.

            At the mention of Carolina's name, I stand up and point at him. "Don't bring her into this! This isn't her fault. There are things that you don't know, so you can't just go around thinking you know everything and assuming the worst!"

            Griffyn stands up, becoming truly angry for the first time since practically forever. "This is what I mean! She's completely brainwashed you! Just like she did to Penelope and Alesha. If you could just see who she really is..."

            I cross my arms and glare at him, "I know who she really is. She's my best friend." Griffyn flinches as I call her my best friend. "And I think you should go. Right now."

            Griffyn's anger is replaced as his mouth falls open slightly. I've never kicked him out of my house before, so he doesn't know how to react. When I don't change my mind, he closes his mouth and clenches his jaw, grabbing his hoodie. "Fine. Have fun at Carolina's."

            I watch as he stalks out of my room and listen as he clambers loudly down the stairs and out of my house. Even through his anger, I notice that he still managed not to slam my front door.

            Still gentleman enough to not disrespect another's property, I think to myself.

            "Okay," Carolina starts, plucking the phone from my hand. We're all hanging out in her room and while all of the girls have been gossiping, I've been frantically trying to makeup with Griffyn. We were finally getting somewhere. "This isn't going to work if you stay tucked into your phone all night. I took the liberty of inviting you to our sleepover, now join in!"

            "I'm sorry. I just got into a fight with Griffyn and I'm trying to make up with him," I tell her. Penelope giggles, but just keeps looking at her magazine, so I have no idea whether she was laughing at me or at the magazine. Alesha sits in the bean bag chair and regards Carolina and me, listening like always. I don't know if I should feel creeped out or not. I go for not, but that can easily be changed if need be.

             Carolina frowns, "Forget about him for the night, okay? You're over at my house! We're going to do girl things and not worry about others. Not like I worry about others much anyway." Carolina laughs as she adds her own joke to the end. No one else laughs because it's kind of the truth--and since when is the truth funny?

            "Okay..." I trail, biting my lip. I glance at my phone longingly as she slips it into the pocket of the swimsuit cover up that she has on. Griffyn may think that I got hurt. Or maybe he will think that I'm purposely ignoring him.

            I stop myself from thinking about it much after that. Carolina's right. I need to forget about him for the moment and enjoy the girls' company. Carolina's probably upset that I'm not participating and I don't want to be the one to ruin her night.

            "Great! You all have your swimsuits, right? There's a hot tub out back." Carolina exclaims, shifting on her feet a little in her excitement. So that's what the swimsuit was about... She's been in her swimsuit and cover up since she picked me up at my house.

            "Yeah," Penelope and I chime in as Alesha nods. We all change into our swimsuits and slip some clothes back over them before we follow Carolina out back to her hot tub.

            Carolina audibly groans from ahead of me as we reach the hot tub. As the rest of us finally catch up with her, we find out why she seems so annoyed. Her brother who's name I think is Darren is already comfortably spread out in the hot tub. "Darren, you knew I was having the girls over tonight! The hot tub is reserved for us!"

            "I don't recall seeing the sheet of paper that said that it was reserved," Darren states, keeping his eyes closed. I let out a small snort, only to be shut up when Carolina turns and glares at me. Darren opens one eye and looks lazily at me with curiosity. "Who's stranger over there?"

            "Her name's Carson," she spits, crossing her arms. "Now will you please get out?"

            "No." He states.

            Carolina lets out a frustrated whine and actually stomps her foot. I can't believe how childish she's being. The hot tub is no big deal. We can either go back and do something else, or share the damn thing. "Why not?"

            He shrugs.

            Carolina looks like she's about to pounce and tear his eyes out so I take a step forward and try to calm her down. "Carolina, it's okay. Why don't we just share?"

            "Ew!" Carolina bursts. "Share? With him? Do you know how many girls he's probably gotten with just today alone?"

            "Hey! That's insulting." He raises his head to glare at her. A second later he breaks into a grin, "But in case you'd like to know, the answer is two."

            "Oh my God, shut up!" Carolina slips off a flip flop and throws at him looking more annoyed now than angry.

            He laughs and deflects her throw. He tosses the sandal out of the hot tub and looks at me, "I was joking."

            I nod, "Good to know."

            Carolina sighs and looks back towards the house before starting to slip off her coverup. She sets it on the side of the hot tub. "I guess it looks like we're sharing then."

            Penelope looks as though she's been waiting for Carolina's cue and slips out of her shorts and shirt quickly before hopping in to sit next to Darren, smiling at him dreamily.

            I slip my sundress off at a slower pace and Alesha does the same with her leggings and hoodie. By the time she slips in, the only available spot left is to the right of Darren. I sigh before settling in next to him, making sure there's a considerable amount of space between us.

            Don't get me wrong, Darren is a good-looking guy, especially with the way his parents and sister look, but I'm not interested. In any guy really. My last crush was at the beginning of the summer, but I quickly banished all romantic thoughts of guys from my mind halfway through. I now know where love leads and it's not pretty. There are no happy endings and love can only lead to hurt.

            "So, Cara, how's the water?" Darren asks me, sending an endearing smile my way. Even though I know I'm not capable of any romantic feelings towards at him at all, I find myself finding a good quality in him that I'd like to see in a friend.

            "Feels a bit like I'm being cooked." I answer honestly. I've actually never took well to hot tubs. My skin must be very sensitive to water because if I don't have my shower at a specific temperature or if a pool is something other than my body temperature, I won't be able to deal. It's taking a little will power for me to stay in here right now and not jump out to go soak in a nice, warm bath. "Wait, did I tell you to call me Cara?"

            "No," he hesitates. "Should I not?"

            "No, you can. It's fine if you do."

            Darren smiles, "Oh, whew. You had me scared there. I-- Carolina, is that Paws?" Darren looks straight up and for the first time, I notice a tree overshadowing half of the hot tub. How'd I miss that? Some of the branches shake as a very fat cat shimmies it's way to the edge.

            Carolina screams, "Paws! You stupid cat! Get off that branch!" She makes no move to go and help the cat, but she doesn't need to because the cat seems to listen to her, running back to towards the trunk and hopping from branch to branch until it nears the hot tub. It hops from the tree to the edge of the hot tub before hopping to the ground.

            I laugh as I watch the cat run off into the night and when I turn back to the hot tub, I notice a few leaves floating in the water. The chubby cat must've knocked a few loose in his hurry down to the ground.

            I lock gazes with Darren who's trying to hold back a laugh. "What? Is there something on my face?" I raise a hand up to my face, but there's nothing there that I can feel. It could be my makeup though.

            "No," he says chuckling a little. He reaches out and takes a leaf from my hair. "More like something in your hair."

            From behind Darren, I see Penelope eyeing me hardly. She's not necessarily glaring at me, but it's more like she's assessing my weaknesses. And for that reason, I shiver uncomfortably.

            "Oh," I laugh awkwardly, turning away from him quickly, avoiding both him and Penelope. "Thanks."

            "Okay, girls! I think that our hot tub time is over! I'm actually craving some very handsome men named Ben and Jerry." Carolina pipes up, excited for some reason that I don't know. She was just angry and annoyed only fifteen minutes ago. She does that though, wearing her emotions as a top that she can just change out of whenever she gets tired of it.

            Penelope frowns, "But we just got in here like fifteen minutes ago!"

            Carolina rolls her eyes, getting out. "Well I'm ready to get out. Come on."

            I raise my eyebrows at her attitude, but follow her lead and hop out, slipping a towel around my body when she hands it to me. Alesha follows quickly after, taking a towel. Penelope huffs and gets out too, leaving Darren in the hot tub alone. Carolina doesn't even bother handing her a towel, so she has to get it herself.

            We all start to head in, with me at the back of the pack when Darren says from behind me, "Oh, Cara?"

            I stop walking, falling behind the girls as they head inside to find the Ben & Jerry ice cream. "Yeah?" He's sitting fully up in the hot tub, but I can't make out much more in the darkness other than his shape.

            "Nice meeting you."

            I smile, turning my back on him. "You too."

            Carolina is handing out spoons to everyone as they sit on the couch when I enter. She smiles when she notices me, waving me over. I sit beside her and she hands me a spoon. In between the girls is a big, one gallon tub of vanilla ice-cream. I scoop some up and take a bite letting out a moan at the taste. I didn't realize how hungry I was.

            "Did I manage to make you forget about Griffyn for awhile?" Carolina whispers to me as we both recline on the couch. Her question startles me. I had forgotten about Griffyn. And it was surprising because he's been on my mind constantly since I got back. She takes my silence as a yes and grins. "I'm that good."

            I laugh, remembering my phone, "Hey, do you still have my phone?"

           She rolls her eyes, "Yeah, here it is." She hands me my phone somewhat reluctantly and I quickly snatch it from her grip. Immediately, I check to see if any new texts from Griffyn had come in, but there was only the one that I had gotten right before she took it away from me earlier. I frown, disappointed that he hadn't texted. I guess I shouldn't have hoped too much, considering I hadn't texted him back either, even though that wasn't necessarily my fault. Carolina leans over to see what I'm doing, "Wow, and I thought we had accomplished something."

            I grin sheepishly, though it was kind of forced, and tuck my phone away, suddenly not in the mood to watch Mean Girls anymore.

Please comment, vote, add to your reading lists, and share!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

405K 9K 26
{Highest Ranking: #160 in Teen Fiction & #1 in Love at First Sight} Zac Logan thought he had everything. His parents were filthy rich. He was captain...
17.3K 944 55
It's nothing like you imagine. Please give it a chance. ✷✷✷✷ She smacked my head. I smacked her head. She stuck out her tongue. I stuck out my tongue...
Love Happens By Irea

Teen Fiction

4.6K 261 56
Tyler never noticed Elizabeth. She was okay with that, at least they were friends. Well until a sudden event brings them together, and they begin to...
58.4K 980 46
Savannah falls in love with her next door neighbour, her housemate and her brothers friend. Their relationship is a secret. How will she react when s...