Gray Wolf Ranch

By moudenes

The Marshall brothers, four country boys with a passion for hospitality, have finally achieved their dream of... More

Chapter 1 - Golf Cart
Chapter 2 - Checking In
Chapter 3 - Tribe Names
Chapter 4 - Dog Walk
Chapter 5 - Clean Slate
Chapter 6 - Farm Help
Chapter 7 - Campsite Permits
Chapter 8 - Entertainment Team
Chapter 9 - Out There
Chapter 10 - Not a Good Day
Chapter 11 - Not a Child
Chapter 12 - Nightmares
Chapter 13 - Unwelcome Guest
Chapter 14 - Truths
Chapter 15 - Appointments
Chapter 16 - Worries
Chapter 17 - Relief
Chapter 18 - Disappointment
Chapter 19 - Realization
Chapter 20 - Distraction
Chapter 21 - Hair
Chapter 22 - Loss
Chapter 23 - Dreams
Chapter 24 - Trail Ride
Chapter 25 - An Adventure
Chapter 26 - Secrets and Truths
Chapter 27 - Finding Out
Chapter 28 - Back to Life
Chapter 29 - News
Chapter 30 - Country Boy
Chapter 31 - Wolf
Chapter 32 - We Meet Again
Chapter 34 - Camping
Chapter 35 - Memories
Chapter 36 - Together Again
Chapter 37 - Mingan
Chapter 38 - Moving Out
Chapter 39 - Josh
Chapter 40 - Michelle
Chapter 41 - A Letter
Chapter 42 - Picnic
Chapter 43 - The Opening
Chapter 44 - A Night to Remember
Chapter 45 - Anahu

Chapter 33 - Phone

2.6K 184 20
By moudenes

KITCHI

Chris' face shows the happiness I feel. We walk to the lodge in this beautiful weather which matches the day events perfectly.

"I'm glad you brought me. I'm humbled by nature. What an experience!" Chris says as we walk back to the lodge.

"You have taken excellent care of Bette in the last months. You couldn't miss it. I have seen little... Baby horse?" I say.

"Foal."

"Foal, thanks. I have seen them come into the world at my grandparents' farm, but Bette is my horse and this feels special, as if I just became a grandfather."

Chris snorts and winces. "I have to be honest. I've been fearing returning to the stables. Seeing that colt take its first wobbly steps gave me enough happy memories to erase what happened there."

I look at Chris' pale face and I'm glad I still have my best friend by my side. The shot wound wasn't close to vital organs, yet he lost so much blood. He tries his best to put a happy face for everyone, but we know his body is still weak. On our orders and the doctor's recommendation he has been resting, but I didn't want him to miss Bette giving birth.

"Chris, I feel so grateful for everything you have done for me since we met, like helping me with the words I forget and things I misplace. Then you took care of the farm while I was recovering and saved us on that terrible day. We were the next ones and who knows what Pratt would have done next."

"Gives me chills to think about it."

"On a positive thought, seems we might become related now that your sister and my brother are a thing."

"I'm happy and relieved that Amy accepted your brother. I always feared she would end up with a man who would treat her as badly as our father did. Huritt is good for her and loves her."

"He does, and it's fucking annoying. First, I had to put up with the depressed face and now he walks on clouds."

Chris and I look at each other trying to keep a straight face but it doesn't last long.

"I need to pay better attention when he's around," Chris says when we stop laughing. "Hey, I've noticed you don't get stuck on words as much as before."

"I've also noticed it. I will always forget stuff and won't be able to learn quickly, but the doctor says I have a better blood flow to my brain."

"Maybe you should try to learn a few simple things. Who knows? Maybe you will be the one emailing Monique instead of Rowtag."

"That will be the day. Just looking at how their fingers move when..." I wiggle my fingers.

"Typing."

"Yeah, when typing. It makes me dizzy."

"Try it once. If it doesn't work, then it's okay," Chris sits on a couch in the lodge living room and turns the TV on.

"I'll go to the farm later. The doctor says it's okay. I can help Ben and frankly I've missed it."

"That's good news. Hopefully I will join soon too."

I say goodbye to Chris and head to the main building. I find Rowtag at the front desk, helping guests by marking stuff on a paper map. He sees me walk by and lifts a finger to signal me to wait. The guests give him a big smile when he hands them the map and thank him.

"How did it go?"

"Perfect labor, fairly quick and now we have a little boy. The vet and Grandma were with Bette the whole time, but she didn't need help. The colt is completely black like his dad," I feel so proud of my girl.

"Happy to hear that. I will message the guys to let them know. A few guests were curious; do you think we can let people visit the stables to look at the colt?"

"I don't see why not. You should ask Amy to take the kids to see him."

"I will let her know. I'm glad we built a bigger stable than what we needed. If this keeps going on, we will run out of space soon."

"It might happen quicker than you think," I chuckle.

"Another pregnant mare?"

"Yeah. Audrey this time."

"My horse?" He asks, his face brightening.

"Yeah, and I'm afraid that it is again Clark's fault. You should talk to Istu, he needs to ask his horse to keep his dick in his pants."

Rowtag laughs so hard the girls at the front desk jump scared.

"Sorry, ladies! Oh God, luckily there are no guests around," he cleans a few laughter tears. "Hey, I wanted to ask you, how do you feel about going camping tomorrow? We can leave in the afternoon, stay the night at the river bank and return in the morning."

"I'm all for it. Loved it when we did it after I moved to Broken Arrow."

"You were easier to convince than Huritt. By the way, you should go upstairs; he has something for you."

Curious about what it could be, I head upstairs.

"Hey, Kit!" Huritt says as I come in.

"Row said you have something for me. What is it?"

"Yeah, I do," he opens a drawer and pulls a bag out. "I got you a mobile phone."

"A phone? Huritt, I don't know how to use those things," I hold the bag he hands me with two fingers.

"I got you a simple one. I already programmed the numbers you will need. The radio doesn't have a big range and after what happened to Chris, I would feel more at ease if you have something on you with better reach. Here, have a piece of paper and sit next to me."

I do as my brother says and write the instructions to turn the phone on and off, and how to make a call and hang up.

"Okay, you are set. I believe someone will be happy to hear from you," Huritt says while scrolling down the numbers and showing me an entry called Monique. "Enjoy."

I kiss the top of his head, and he pushes me away while laughing. Grandma gives me a wink as I walk to my bedroom. Rowtag keeps Monique posted about me, and she writes back daily, but I owe her the effort of making this call.

Making sure I have the right name on the screen, I look back at the paper with my notes and press the icon with a green phone.

"Hello?"

Suddenly I feel as if I'm choking and almost let the phone fall. "Oh... Hey- Hi! Mrs. Olson? This is Kitchi Marshall. Can I speak with Monique?"

"Kitchi! It's nice to hear from you! I hear you are doing well after your surgery."

"I'm still recovering, but I'm much better than before."

"Monique? Dear, it's Kitchi for you," Mrs. Olson says in a sing song voice.

I hear a rumble and then something that sounds like the wind.

"Kit? Is it really you?"

"Yeah, it is me!" Goodness, my heart is racing. "My brother got me a phone and you are my first real call. How are you doing?"

"Much better. The... Doctor, told me the damages in my brain are less severe than they thought. I feel as if my old life is returning little by little."

"That is great news! Will you go back to work at the hospital?"

"No, that won't happen again," her voice suddenly turns sad, and it pains me. "The directors believe that patients won't feel comfortable knowing I have brain damage. People talk and by now many know of it."

"I'm sorry, Monique. I didn't want to upset you."

"No worries. What bothers me the most at the moment is that I don't know what to do next with my life," she lets out a sigh.

"Why don't you come and work at the ranch in the First Aid post?"

"At the ranch? Now you say it, it never crossed my mind starting my own general practice. I guess I can rent a house and fit it as a home office."

"Or if you don't mind, you can rent a smaller place and live with me."

My own words surprise me and I fear she will hang up because of my desperate eagerness. I don't hear anything, so I look at the screen on the phone to verify that I'm still connected.

"Monique? Are you still there?"

"I- Think... I am. Yes, I'm here. Kitchi, have you read my emails?"

"Yes, all of them, every single day."

"Do you feel the same way about me?"

"The same way or more. Monique, I've had small crushes on girls, but they all pitied and rejected me. Then you came along and saw me for who I am and not for what I can't do. You gave me my first kiss and comforted me in that cold hospital bed. I've thought of you every day since the moment we met and I have no experience on this, but I think I'm also in love with you."

I hear a muffled giggle at the other side of the phone. "I need to see you, Kit. I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too. Is it possible for you to head this way? I wish I could visit you, but I can't drive, and I'm still under medical supervision."

"Is next... Friday okay?"

I look at the calendar on my wall. That's only a week away!

"More than okay."

"I'll see you then. I- I love you, Kitchi."

"I love you too, Monique. Until then," I say then end the call.

My room feels small as I can't contain how happy I feel. I need to spend all the energy I suddenly get. Huritt watches me from his desk as I walk by.

"Did you make the call?"

"Yeah! Huritt, she's in love with me and is coming next Friday!"

"Who is coming next Friday?" Rowtag asks as he comes up the stairs.

"Monique!"

"Good for you, baby brother," Rowtag pats my back.

"Row, do you think she can work here? In First Aid? The hospital won't let her work as a doctor anymore."

Rowtag looks deep in thought. "I would need to check if there are any restrictions, but do you think she would like that?"

"She does and is even thinking about renting a place for an office. I told her she could live with me. We can help each other."

"YOU WHAT?" Huritt looks shocked.

"I asked her to live with me. She accepts me as I am, and I love her. Why wait?"

My brothers exchange concerned looks and I begin to feel irritated.

"Let's do this," Rowtag begins. "When she's here, share your bedroom with her and see if you find it comfortable. If she wants to, she can do a few hours with Olivia and Brian. I will let them know and seeing how Monique helped us when you got ill, I don't think it will be a problem. We will discuss how you both feel at the end of her stay and take it from there. Does it sound reasonable?"

"Kit, we don't want to rain on your parade, but you are recovering. If you both think this is the best for you and can stand the pressure of sharing a space, I'll be more than happy to help her move in with you," Huritt says.

"Okay, I agree," I say.

"I wish you so much happiness," Rowtag places his arm around my shoulders and kisses my head, earning an eye roll from me. "I'm looking forward to seeing Monique. Let us know if we can do anything for you."

I thank my brothers and head outside. Maybe I'll do some work at the farm and later I will clean my room. I have lots to look forward to and feel loved. That's all that matters right now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4M 141K 70
(Update: 2/25/19- This story was original called Alphas Red. Noticing there is so much to be added to this novel. I've decided to make it into a seri...
168K 3.7K 25
When Eira goes to the forest at night, she doesn't expect to meet her mate and be taken against her will. Not wanting to spend the rest of her life l...
7.5K 882 38
Oliver Brown holds the gift of seeing spirits. After losing his grandmother, he neglected the purpose of his ability, and soon after, lived a ghostle...
43.5M 220K 49
2021 NEW EDITION | COMPLETED From dodging airborne slot machines to an unplanned swim in the fountain of a luxury hotel, it's safe to say that a tr...