Ink Stained

By azurehyn

❝The world is a madhouse, and all the people in it are delusional and blind.❞ Pai Momozono can see 'monsters'... More

インク染色
important message noticeboard
☯ |miscellaneous notes
☯ Season 1 | 01 ー begin: the end*
02: yamajijii*
03: cold blue eyes*
05: quiet*
06: a sense of wrongness*
07: white-haired girl*
08: sticks and guns may break their bones*
09: hiss*
10: she who invites*
11: shiori and the dream*
12: before it's too late*
13: left alone*
14: jade water*
15: long time no see*
16: upside-down drowning*
17: this is...*
18: a losing fight*
19: guess who*
20: shinobu*
21: unheard prayers*
22: spring*
23: an unbelievable story*
24: tell the truth*
25: circles*
26: he invites*
27: remember?*
28: flying slipper*
29: with him without him*
30: let it begin, let it end*
31: get out of the way*
32: death god, death god, let us play*
Character Banners
CHARACTERS
Playlist
☯ Season 2 | 33: paint it red*
34: phantasmal normal*
35: the late princess*
36: do you see?*
37: forgiveness*
38: when they fall down her face*
39: red is for blood, red is for Mask*
40: too little too late*
41: take the shot*
42: can you hear me?*
43: strings attached*
44: who are you?*
45: no one knows anything*
46: slipping sanity (1)*
47: safety*
48: teacher*
49: smile and lie*
50: catch*
p̸͚̟͍̳̺̠̘͎̼̍̈̆͌͆̃à̷͔̠̖̞͕̰̻̹͕̈̆ͅį̸̳͖͍̜͕̝͊̊́̿̆͛̈́̀̇́̒͘͝ͅ
51: who is at fault?*
52: onigiri*
53: perfect sight*
54: tale-telling yosei*
55: nightmares are memories*
56: the reason why*
57: family food*
58: kyoto, day one*
59: kyoto, day two*
60: kyoto, day four (1)*
61: kyoto, day four (2)*
62: slipping sanity (3)*
63: kyoto, day six (1)*
64: kyoto, day six (2)*
65: death god*
66: Kyoto, day six (3)*
67: nostalgia*
68: useless punching bags*
69: can help is not will help*
70: it's been too long*
71: talk to me*
72: agreements*
73: every day*
74: the restless dead*
75: beginning of the end*
76: first blood*
77: for you*
78: two sides of a coin*
79: given opportunity*
80: why?*
81: my Q̸̗͔̬͂̋u̸̘̦̼͗͛͝e̵̝͍̪̼̋̕ẽ̴̛̥͎̼͐̂̀͗̏n̸̙̠̫͎̑̔͑͋̎̄̅͠
82: shi no kami*
❝brief❞ shitty synopsis
☯ Season 3 | 83: kagetora*
84: yamajijii's truth*
85: hidden truth*
86: birthday girl (1)*
87: birthday girl (2)*
88: blink and go*
89: breathless*
90: teacher, friend, protector, and...?*
91: hanyou*
92: akira*
93: i need to tell you something*
94: please say something*
95: mad chiasa*
96: you are not the enemy*
97: his trigger*
98: tests*
99: power left behind*
100: sojobo kurama*
101: kiss her, break him, love them*
102: the future*
103: why won't you?*
104: the Mizushima family*
105: kaizaki yukiji*
106: remember the promise*
107: rikuto*
108: midori*
109: what's wrong?*
Q & A [p1]
Q & A [p2]

04: shopping*

1.2K 99 65
By azurehyn

買い物する

Pai really didn't know how other people did this. She wanted to consider herself normal, and normal people went through this routine their whole lives, so clearly it was something that could be accomplished...

But how?

By the middle of the first week since starting school, Pai began to wonder if she would even make it to the weekend.

She did, of course, she was nothing if not quietly stubborn about it, but by the end of the week, she was genuinely shocked to find that it was Saturday. The weekend. Free-time for approximately forty-eight hours, to be used wisely but rarely done so.

She tried not to think about the fact that the weekend lasted only two days, and instead relished in waking up naturally, organically, as opposed to being jolted awake by the horrific blaring of her alarm. She had almost forgotten how blissful it was to wake up knowing that she didn't need to hurry out of bed, get a quick shower, pull her hair into some passable semblance of normal, before heading out the door to school with Shiori trudging along beside her.

It had only been one week. The thought of doing this for a whole year almost made her cry several times throughout thee week.

Late Saturday morning found her just outside the boundary wall, picking kaki fruit from the tree next to the wall. She felt better than she had for the last week, having slept for seven hours – longer than she had been able to thanks to the actual mountains of homework the teachers seemed to firmly believe could be done in a single evening.

She had already finished washing the dishes after a rowdy breakfast, done some homework with Shiori (but not all of it, because Shiori believed Sunday existed for a reason). It was almost noon now, but even with the glimpses she had gotten of the climbing sun through the tree leaves overhead, it was still a cool day.

Despite being outside, the magic of the boundary extended far past the walls, so she didn't feel to uncomfortable at being outside. As long as she didn't stray too far from the wall, she was safe. Far behind her, she could see the occasional darting shadow in the trees, balls of light dancing along the branches. None came too close.

She was fine.

Pai stood on her tip-toes, reaching for another fruit hanging on a branch close to the ground. The tree was laden with the deliciously sweet fruit. She wanted to gather as many as she could and make a pie for everyone with them. Or, at least, try to make one. She had never made one before, though she had watched her mother flawlessly bake dozens of little things that tasted heavenly.

She had been watching and caring for this particular tree for almost two weeks now, waiting for just the right moment when the fruit could be picked. Now was the best time – if she waited any longer, the fruit would grow overripe, fall off the tree, and rot. Yukiji had taught her enough about that whenever Pai wandered out of the house on the rare occasion she was bored and found Yukiji tending to a tree or plant somewhere.

After picking the fruit, she planned to leave them in Mizutani's care. She would make sure nothing happened to them – more specifically, that Haru wouldn't get to them. It was a wonder he doesn't gain as much weight as food he ate, with that glutinous appetite of his. With Haru, it didn't matter how much you told him it would taste even better in a pie. If Haru saw the fruit, he'd want to eat it right at that moment.

"Who cares about later?" was his reasoning when an exasperated Yukiji asked why he couldn't just wait. "If it looks good now, it's meant to be eaten now, and so help me I will eat it."

He didn't mean anything by it. He was not being disrespectful or mean. He just...like to eat. A lot. Enough that even a dragon would balk.

Shiori had been heard on multiple occasions muttering about how unfair it was, that Haru could put so much food away and not turn into a ballooned whale.

Pai would have felt better if she could just start on making the pie, except she couldn't. Not yet, at least. Shiori had managed to rope her into going out with her, Aoi, and Natsume in the city, around Sapporo Station and anywhere else they thought of. Natsume, in particular, wants to go to Daimaru to buy some new lipstick, which Pai finds impressive considering the few times she's gone to Daimaru herself, she nearly got a heart attack just looking at the prices.

Pai still wondered how she allowed it to happen, how she let Shiori wrangle a promise out of her that she would join them on their 'little' shopping trip. She was wary of hoping it would actually be short. Nothing was when it came to Shiori and clothes.

×

The physical medical exams are going just as Pai predicted. Except, Pai didn't anticipate Shiori being so keen on finding out what Pai's measurements are.

"How much do you weigh? And what's your height? Do you know what cup size you are?"

For the sake of everything that is sane – "Shii-chan," she says, trying to keep her tone even. "Why do you need to know this? And what does my cup size have to do with it?" Why, Shiori, why.

"I ask," Shiori replies in a huff as Pai sits down on the bench next to her. Most of the other girls in their class are standing as they wait their turn. "For several reasons. One is that, even though you eat so much, you still look like the wind can blow you away."

Half of Pai wants to deny that. The other half knows it's true, though.

"And what about my height and cup size?" she asks.

Shiori rolls her eyes. "I'm a basketball player, I'm always curious how tall people are. As for your cup size..." Shiori looks away here, red spots dusting her cheeks.

Pai narrows her eyes. "Why are you blushing?"

"Aiashdshpngwkndthiswshnattywanshutacom."

Pai gives her an entirely unimpressed look. "Was that even a human language?"

"Yes it was," Shiori, foolishly, shoots back.

"What is it called?"

"Gibberish. It's called gibberish, if you must know."

"Gibberish is an unintelligible language." Pai deadpans. "Are you trying to say you are unintelligible?"

Shiori flounders for a moment, then pouts at her. "You're sly with words, you know. Are you sure you aren't a fox?"

Pai frowns at the mention of foxes, remembering Daichi and Shin's reactions yesterday when she asked about who Kagetora is. "I am as human as you are."

Shiori grins coyly and leans closer to whisper conspiratorially, "And we both know just how human that is."

Pai sends her a sharp glance at that. Shiori shouldn't be saying things like that so casually. They don't know who it is still, but someone in their class is Hengen. For Shiori, Hengen from other Clans that aren't Tengu are far more dangerous than any Yori Chiisai. To some of the other Clans, it doesn't matter that Shiori's chosen Kouta, chosen to be with the Tengu. They'll still try to take her regardless of her choice, if given the chance.

"Hm." Pai mumbles noncommittally, looking around to make sure no one is eavesdropping. "And what is it you were saying in this fascinatingly advanced language again?"

Shiori rolls her eyes. She takes a deep breath, as if preparing to plunge headfirst into freezing cold waters. "Aoi-chan texted me last night that she and Natsume-chan are going shopping this weekend."

Shiori gives her a significant look. Having absolutely no clue what Shiori expects her to say, Pai says, "I...am sure Kouta-sama will not have a problem with you going with them?" he'd be hard-pressed to try stopping her, actually. Shiori is like a hurricane when she wants something, and if she wants to go shopping, she will go shopping.

"If he tries to stop me, he'll lose his precious hair overnight." Shiori replies with a sweet smile. Kouta isn't the most materialistic man, but he treasures his hair. It's the only thing he's vain about. "But anyway, that's not what I'm getting at. They want you to come too. To get to know you and stuff."

Shopping? Shopping? Why would she want to go shopping?

"I still do not understand what my cup size has to do with anything."

"Well, I was just wondering if you wanted to buy some, like, bras and stuff when we go out."

Pai makes a face.

"Sometimes girls do that." Shiori adds defensively.

Pai pressed her lips together, silent for a moment. "I have not said I will be going though."

"Please? Pretty please?" Shiori says, giving her the most pleading look known to man. "It'll be cool for you to hang out with us and like, people closer to your age."

"I know," Pai answers, acquiescing in that at least – even though, in truth, she's two years older than them. She's never felt it, though. Sometimes, she feels like she's the younger one, her brain still trying to remember that she isn't fifteen anymore, despite a year having passed this way already. "But it is only on the weekends that I can catch up with the chores I have. Especially helping with the kids."

"Yukiji or Mizutani can help out in that, right?" Shiori asks, quite reasonably.

"They both have their own work to do." Pai replies, just as sensibly.

"For a few hours. No, just two hours."

Pai scoffs.

"What? I know how to keep track of time." Shiori huffs, mortally offended.

"Sure, continue lying to yourself about that if it will make you feel better."

Shiori sighs, turns pleading once again. "Come on, just come hang out with us for only two hours, and then we can go back home."

"Why do you want me to come so badly?" she asks, curious, resolve wavering. Very little can keep Shiori from getting what she wants, in the end.

"Because I feel like you think your whole world revolves around Ayashi House." Shiori replies grumpily – except this time, it's not a teasing act. She looks genuinely upset at the thought.

Pai frowns. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, you're always doing some work there. When you're not, you're with the kids so they don't do anything wrong, even though that's Mizutani's job." Shiori says in one go, as if she's been preparing this argument for a while now.

"It is the only thing I can do, Shii-chan," Pai says in a hushed whisper, some part of her twinging in guilt at how she sounds, from Shiori's perspective. "I do not know what happened to me, and Kouta-sama let me stay with you at Ayashi House despite the risk of me being a spy. This is how I can repay him for it."

Shiori blinks owlishly at her. She's heard this line of reasoning, in the beginning when everyone at the house was wary of Pai's presence there, what it could potentially mean. Shiori just...never believed it. Clearly, she still doesn't.

Shiori scowls fiercely. "That is total bullshit." She snaps harshly, with such quiet vitriol that the girls standing a little ways from them glance over before quickly looking away when Shiori shoots them a deathly glare. She turns back to Pai. "There's no way you could ever be a spy."

"Shii-chan," she says calmly, but still hushed. "Look at Kouta-sama. You are living with Daitengu. Mizutani-san, Yukiji-san, Kanou-san, the kids. None of them are human. All our lives we have been able to see Ayakashi, and that is not normal. It is not something other people can do. Do you really think it is beyond one of the other Clans to force a human into submission, to make spies out of them?"

"They would use Shikigami if they wanted to do that." Shiori dismisses easily.

"If they were stupid." Pai answers just as easily.

Shikigami, when summoned in a complex ceremony and put into the bodies of animals and birds, make for excellent spies. Simply put, they're spiritual energy that is tied to their evoker. Should they die, their Shikigami will die too, though the evoker isn't affected if the Shikigami is killed while possessing a body. If the evoker is learned and powerful enough, Shikigami can even possess human bodies and manipulate them to do their master's bidding via the Shikigami.

The trouble comes with the fact that Shikigami are resentful spiritual energy. If the evoker isn't careful, they can lose control of their Shikigami. Unrestrained, they will tear their master to pieces in revenge for imprisoning them. Before the spiritual energy they steal from their evoker runs out and they're forced back to whatever realm they were called from, they will go around killing any human, animal, and even Yori Chiisai in their sight.

"Using Shikigami is too risky," Pai continues dismissively. "Humans are a better alternative. They are easier to control."

She frowns slowly as she says those words. Why does she feel...like they aren't really hers? Why does she feel like those words, the emotionless practicality of them, is not her?

"Then why did Kouta decide to take a chance with you?" Shiori demands, not willing to let this go. "If it was so dangerous to believe you weren't a spy, if it was such a risk, why did he decide to risk it with you?"

"Because he loves you." Pai says simply, a little astounded that Shiori hasn't realized that herself yet. Some of the anger in Shiori's eyes dims at that. "He loves you, and he listens to you. At least you were right when you refused to believe I was a spy. He took a chance with me because he trusts you."

Shiori sighs heavily. She scoots closer to Pai and hooks an arm around her neck, drawing her closer. "I'll never leave you alone, you hear? You're my best friend – you helped me when I needed it, and you stayed my friend even when you didn't need to. I'm never going to let you go after I just got you back. So, you'll have to get more than used to me asking you what your cup size is and trying to get you to hang out more with me outside of home. Okay?"

Pai nods, her eyes prickling a little, heart swelling with love for Shiori, and gratitude for everything that she's done for her.

The two separate when Aihara Rukia, one of the school's nurses, walks in carrying a bright yellow clipboard in her hands. She calls for the students' attention and tells everyone to follow her.

As she walks alongside Shiori to the clinic, following the flow of bodies headed in the same direction, Pai sighs. She thinks about how much Shiori seems to want her to come with her and her friends on this 'shopping' excursion.

Perhaps, though it doesn't seem so to Pai, it really is a big deal to Shiori. What she said is true, Pai does spend most of her time working in the house. In truth, Pai doesn't really mind that. she frowns, thinking. Maybe that is a little part of the problem. Maybe she isn't spending enough time with Shiori, so totally consumed with the need to not be a burden on everyone that all she does is work and not spend time with her friend.

In some ways, Shiori is a bit like a child, or a pet, in need of wholehearted attention every now and then.

Pai keeps that thought to herself – she doesn't want to get another flick to her forehead again.

"Perhaps," she murmurs slowly as they walk. "Mizutani-san will be willing to take over my chores for a while. A few hours."

Shiori turns to her, eyes shining. Pai is reminded of an overeager puppy, looking at her.

"Really?" she asks hopefully. "You won't mind?"

Pai gives her a look. "It is not that I mind, it is whether or not Mizutani-san will be able to spare her time to take care of the kids while we are gone."

"I'm sure she will."

Pai narrows her eyes. "Do not threaten or bribe her, Shii-chan."

Shiori gasps, offended, putting a hand to her heart. "I would never!"

Pai gives her a blunt look.

Shiori rolls her eyes. "Fine. I solemnly swear to not threaten or bribe Mizutani to let you have fun for once in your life, you gloomy old child."

Pai takes the win. "If she cannot, then I will not be able to come. Keep that in mind, Shii-chan."

Shiori nods happily. "It's fine. If you can't come this time, then we'll arrange something for next weekend. At least you said you'll come. It's a promise, and I'll hold you to it."

Pai remembers the last few times she went on 'shopping excursions' to Sapporo Station, with her sister, her mother, Shiori.

What did I just get myself into? She thinks, trying to stifle the horror rising up in her.

×

That's right, she thought to herself now, staring straight ahead with a dead look in her eyes. I was guilted into this.

Mizutani was certainly happy that Pai was going out with Shiori, though. She practically jumped for the chance when Pai asked if she could take care of the kids while Pai was out, as if – like Shiori had said – Mizutani hadn't been the one to watch them far more regularly before Pai started living there.

"Are you sure this is all right with you?" Pai had asked last night, a little anxious. School had let out early, so she wasn't able to spend time with the kids in the nursery like she usually did for a while before dinner and doing homework.

There were five Tengu children at Ayashi House. Naoko and Emiya were Haru's nephews. Hana, Chizuru, and Kei were Yuu's nieces and nephew. Pai didn't know the circumstances, but she knew that the children were orphans, and staying here with their Daitengu family because they had nowhere else to go. Haru and Yuu were their only living blood relatives. They had all been living in an orphanage at the main Clan village in Kyoto until, for some reason, Kouta decided to bring them to Ayashi House until they were a little older and go back to Kyoto to begin their schooling.

Mizutani shook her head and hoisted Hana, the baby of the house, on her hip. Pai was cuddling Kei to her, the second youngest. "It's not a problem," Mizutani said, grinning at her, eyes twinkling merrily. "Really, it's not, so don't worry about it."

"It will just be for two hours," Pai still promised, apologetic for leaving when she could have been helping out.

The kids were wonderful little angels, they really were...but they could be a handful. A very loud handful.

Mizutani just laughed. "Make it three. Or four. Or the whole day, actually. In fact, if you come back before five, I will personally keep you locked out until you go back and enjoy yourself." She smiled innocently. "And don't doubt for one second that I'd do it."

Pai lifted her eyebrows. "Really?" she...hadn't been expecting that.

Mizutani nodded as she rocked Hana to and fro. "You're going to work yourself to the ground one day, Pai-chan," she said, a glum look in her eye. "It kind of makes me sad that you don't act like a normal teenage girl."

Pai was always painfully aware of her age. Sometimes, she still couldn't believe that she was eighteen, that she had entirely missed being sixteen and seventeen. To her, it was like one minute she was fifteen, and the next she was...this. When – where did those years go? What made her forget it all?

"Well, I am legally an adult now," she pointed out. Kind of. She couldn't legally drink and she hadn't had her Seijin no Hi yet, but that didn't matter. "It is all right for me to be mature."

"Sure, that's what you'd expect from an eighteen-year-old. That's not normally what you get. Except with you."

Pai frowned as she tried to understand the implied double meaning Mizutani seemed to be saying. Was it bad that she was level-headed, or at least tried to be?

A kaki slipped from her fingers, bringing her attention back to what she was doing. Pai shook her head, forcing herself to focus on the present task. She didn't want to drop any of the fruit and spoil them.

She quickly checked that the one that fell was still okay, then put it in the wicker basket. She set it down on the grassy ground, fallen leaves littering the ground and burrowed under the trees that housed the nocturnal creatures that shared the mountain with them. As she'd walked around the tree for almost an hour now, she'd already met a few squirrels and many birds that flitted through the trees as they sang in their private languages.

She put her hands on her hips as she surveyed the basket. It was about half full now, but with how many people live in Ayashi House, not even taking Haru's dragon appetite into account, she would need the basket to be full of fruits. The more, the better – if there was too many, there could be leftovers kept for later.

She looked up at the tree, surveying it. There was still plenty of fruit left on it, especially around the tops where she hadn't been able to reach. She looked down at the base of the tree thoughtfully. The tree was sturdy enough to hold her weight, but could she find any hand and foot holds?

...probably.

Maybe.

She glanced at her wristwatch, white with the ring around the clock face gleaming in rose gold metal. She would have preferred something simpler, but this was a gift from Shiori, and for her, this was simple. Besides, she did like it; it was a nice watch.

She was also constantly terrified of handling it too roughly and it breaking, but that was neither here nor there.

It was just gone by one o'clock now, and she was supposed to be leaving with Shiori at two. She had, at the very least, twenty minutes to finish getting all the fruit she'd need before she had to go back to her room and get ready. That was not including the ten minutes she'd also need to meet Shiori at the front door early so that Shiori wouldn't blow up because they were not going to be 'on time'.

Shiori's perception of time was horribly skewed, much to Pai's chagrin and Kouta's endless grief.

She stepped closer to the tree, looking at the fruits that hung just out of reach. She reached up on her tiptoes, trying to get to it, but failed. Her breath blew out in a huff as she set her heels down, glaring at the tree like it had offended her ancestors.

She pulled an irritated face at the tree. "Bleh."

She hiked her loose trousers up, gripped the edge of a knot in the hole that was just large enough for an owl to comfortably sleep in (this wasn't the first time she climbed a tree around her, and if an owl actually was in this tree, well...again, it wouldn't be the first time), and hoisted herself up. She slowly but steadily climbed up, higher, until she found herself high enough that it was a little disconcerting to look down.

She looked at the kaki, adjusting her hand around a branch so she wouldn't fall. She stretched out again, trying to reach the fruit that was still too far away, by mere centimetres. She wished she was taller. She held her breath as she stretched her arm out, reaching as far as she could go.

"What are you doing?"

What the fu – she startled. The movement was so sudden that her fingers slipped from their grip on the branch. She felt her sandals slide from their shaky perch on a thin slip of wood she was using as a foothold. She felt the abrupt, heavy weight of her body going down.

A shocked squeak shot out of her as the air whistled in her ears and through her hair even as she squeezed her eyes shut and braced for horrible, possibly bone-crunching impact, heart hammering in her chest.

It didn't come.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 40 33
A girl who only got shown hatred and disgust, she dies at the hands of her adoptive sister that everyone knows and loves. Her sister is from a place...
1K 153 30
[The Gifted Blood Trilogy | Book One] What's worse than a past that comes back to haunt you? One you don't even know. When Edin awoke in a stranger's...
18K 1.5K 48
It started with a portal from the sky. Earth was out into chaos, talking about aliens and how our world is going to be taken over. It then became wor...
823 39 16
Russia the loner and America the fighter/outgoing one these two had a massive fallout due to a heartbreaking argument. They never saw each other aga...