Gray Wolf Ranch

By moudenes

The Marshall brothers, four country boys with a passion for hospitality, have finally achieved their dream of... More

Chapter 1 - Golf Cart
Chapter 2 - Checking In
Chapter 3 - Tribe Names
Chapter 4 - Dog Walk
Chapter 5 - Clean Slate
Chapter 6 - Farm Help
Chapter 7 - Campsite Permits
Chapter 8 - Entertainment Team
Chapter 9 - Out There
Chapter 10 - Not a Good Day
Chapter 11 - Not a Child
Chapter 12 - Nightmares
Chapter 13 - Unwelcome Guest
Chapter 14 - Truths
Chapter 15 - Appointments
Chapter 16 - Worries
Chapter 17 - Relief
Chapter 18 - Disappointment
Chapter 19 - Realization
Chapter 20 - Distraction
Chapter 21 - Hair
Chapter 22 - Loss
Chapter 23 - Dreams
Chapter 24 - Trail Ride
Chapter 25 - An Adventure
Chapter 26 - Secrets and Truths
Chapter 27 - Finding Out
Chapter 28 - Back to Life
Chapter 29 - News
Chapter 30 - Country Boy
Chapter 31 - Wolf
Chapter 33 - Phone
Chapter 34 - Camping
Chapter 35 - Memories
Chapter 36 - Together Again
Chapter 37 - Mingan
Chapter 38 - Moving Out
Chapter 39 - Josh
Chapter 40 - Michelle
Chapter 41 - A Letter
Chapter 42 - Picnic
Chapter 43 - The Opening
Chapter 44 - A Night to Remember
Chapter 45 - Anahu

Chapter 32 - We Meet Again

2.8K 175 10
By moudenes

ISTU

The last week and a half have been surreal. We've done damage control to restore the confidence of our guests that they are in a safe place. As we walk around the premises, we stop to have a chat, confirm all is well and there's nothing to worry about. Chris and Sebastian got non-life-threatening injuries, thanks God, and no guests got hurt so we should consider ourselves lucky.

The police found out how Kyle Pratt entered our premises. On the main road, before taking the exit towards the ranch, they found tire tracks on the earth that led to a car hidden in the woods. If you walk in a straight line through the trees from its location, you come eventually to our wire fence, where a hole big enough for a man to fit through was cut.

What terrified me after learning those details is that for him to reach the stables he had to walk through a playground and the campsite, meaning children and guests were around as that man carrying a weapon broke into the property.

Chris got discharged from the hospital a few days ago and returned to the ranch. Nadine and Amy are staying at the lodge as well to assist him until he's strong enough to take care of himself. We all feel responsible for them, and until Pratt is behind bars, we need to keep our family closer.

Huritt spoke with Grandma after what Kitchi told us about the wolf, but his lips are sealed. I'm curious, but my head is busy with my personal issues and the problems Pratt has caused us.

A farm owner in our area heard of Chris' act of heroism and lent us a guy to help at the farm but it isn't enough so I ran an ad on the newspaper to find extra farm hands.

My phone rings and I don't recognize the number. "Gray Wolf Ranch, this is Istu Marshall."

"With your mother."

I close my eyes and let out a deep breath, this can't be good.

"Hi, Mom."

"You would expect more emotion from my son."

"I'm sorry. How are you doing?"

"Not so well as you can imagine."

"I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean."

"Hasn't your grandmother told you? With that viper tongue of hers, I thought you all knew by now. I have asked your father for a divorce."

I feel surprised at the news. We noticed the strained relationship, but I never thought it would come to this.

"I'm sorry to hear that. Have you and Dad tried to work on your differences before coming to this decision?"

"The only difference is me walking into our suite to change shoes and finding him in bed with another woman."

My mouth drops open. Rowtag walks into the office and looks at me with a curious face.

"Keith doesn't want to speak to me. Isaac, you are the only comfort I have left."

"Mom, you shut my brothers out. We could have been there for you."

"Why would I want those two bastards comforting me? It should have been my first sign that your father can't keep his dick to himself."

Her words leave me puzzled. "What do you mean?"

Rowtag makes a hand movement to ask who am I talking to, but I need to find out more.

"Your father had those two kids when we got together. Got that woman pregnant when the oldest could not even walk. That one isn't even his child. Only Keith and you are my real blood. The only ones worth living."

My hands shake as I end the call and throw the phone on the desk. I can't talk to her anymore, can't listen anymore to her poisonous words.

"Istu, who was that?" Rowtag asks.

I try to talk but I can't. A splitting headache begins as I hold my head in my hands.

"Istu you are scaring me. Please tell me what is wrong," Rowtag looks into my face. "Grandma, please come here! Who did you have on the phone?" Rowtag stares at my phone that won't stop ringing.

"Mom..." It's all I can say.

"What did she say?" He asks as Grandma joins him.

"Divorce..."

"Karen caught your father with another woman," Grandma sighs.

"Is that what has you so upset?" Row asks, and I shake my head in negative.

"She said you are not my brother."

Rowtag's face becomes worried. "I will always be your brother, even if we don't share the same blood," he says carefully.

"Does Huritt and Kit know?"

"Kit found about it recently. Huritt doesn't know."

"I need fresh air," I grab my keys and phone, that has stopped ringing, and head down to my truck.

I sit in it and rest my forehead on the steering wheel. Why did they keep this a secret? I jump startled as my phone beeps with a notification.

I'm in the valley for a meeting, but it got cancelled. Are you available for coffee? I'm at a place called Wooden Spoon. Josh

I stare at my phone, wondering if it's really him and pondering on what to do. I have done wrong to Josh and if I don't make my best to make things right, he will never forgive me.

I'm leaving the ranch now. See you in about ten minutes. Isaac

Wooden Spoon is a family restaurant in the village center that my brothers and I frequent when no one feels like cooking. I park in the street and look at myself in the rear-view mirror. My wincing eyes express how much my head still hurts. I consider going back home, but if I do, I will lose my chance to apologize properly.

I enter the restaurant and wave to the owner. Josh stands up and motions for me to join him at one of the tables covered with a flower-patterned tablecloth.

"Thanks," I say to the waitress who places a hot cup of coffee before me. "Hi," I say when I turn my attention to Josh.

"Hello Isaac, we meet again," he places the menu in his hands on the table and stares at me. "Are you okay?"

"No. I'm not," which is obvious from the way my hand shakes as I stir the coffee.

"I can see that. You look as if you are in pain. Can I do anything for you?" He asks with his usual kindness.

"If only you could. I just found out that Rowtag and Huritt are not my full blood brothers; my parents are getting a divorce; two of our employees got shot on the premises. When you offered me your friendship and comfort before Kit's surgery, I kicked you out. I'm on the edge of losing my mind with sorrow, worry, and overall guilt."

Josh stays silent but holds my hand over the table. I don't move it away and let its warmth comfort me.

"Let's take a walk. This isn't the right place to have this conversation," Josh eyes the nosy waitress pretending to fill sugar dispensers nearby.

We stroll at a nearby park without exchanging a word. I'm not sure if the weather is turning cooler or if I'm getting ill.

"Tell me about your family and the employees who got shot," Josh breaks the silence.

I tell him everything that has happened since he checked out and he listens, only making small humming sounds in understanding.

"I'm glad your brother is doing so well after such a serious operation. I know you are used to it, but let your grandmother take charge for a while. I'm sure she's loving every minute of taking care of you all. On Rowtag, this is must be harder for him than it is for you. He probably fears your rejection and what matters right now is that you let him know that you love him no matter what. About the shooting at the ranch, seeing that your employees are innocent, it will continue be the gossip of the town for a bit, but I don't think it will damage the reputation of your business. You guys have done everything possible to make it a safe and enjoyable place. This event was an exception."

"I hope you are right."

"In the time we've been apart, I've given plenty of thought about what happened between us. After we met, I should have left you in peace instead of making you doubt yourself. When I came to see you at your apartment, it was clear that you were tired and worried. I let myself get carried away, and that was my mistake. I should have gone back after dinner. But what's done is done. I only wanted you to know that I still care about you and I would like to be friends."

"Don't blame yourself. You were a perfect gentleman, and I was a beast. I'm really sorry."

"I forgive you. I already did when I understood when things went wrongly. When I received your apology email, it was the confirmation of your decency. Water under the bridge."

I stop walking and let out a breath of relief. The pain in my head has diminished considerably too. Josh pats my shoulder and smiles at me. Looking at his gentle eyes, makes my feelings for him clearer.

"In all honesty, I haven't been able to get you out of my head," I say, and he looks at me surprised. "I had two dates with a woman after what happened between us. She didn't change what I feel for you."

"Are you- Do you mean..." Josh stumbles over his words.

"I don't want to label it. I only know that one night I ran into a tree and since then... It has only been you in my mind."

Josh lifts his hand and caresses my cheek. His lips press softly on mine, and for the first time, it feels right.

"I need to thank Hunter," he says, making me smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.4K 1.7K 29
This story is not about rejection or my pack beause I would have had to know about werewolves before I fell in love with one. With a family cabin al...
430K 15K 44
"You can't go out now. The werewolf is roaming the forests." ........ Alexia Summer had no clue what she was going to get herself into when the two c...
508K 11.8K 58
Trapped in a luxurious mountain cabin during the worst blizzard in living memory with my sexy boss and her handsome husband, seven strangers (six gir...
4M 141K 70
(Update: 2/25/19- This story was original called Alphas Red. Noticing there is so much to be added to this novel. I've decided to make it into a seri...