Gray Wolf Ranch

Von moudenes

The Marshall brothers, four country boys with a passion for hospitality, have finally achieved their dream of... Mehr

Chapter 1 - Golf Cart
Chapter 2 - Checking In
Chapter 3 - Tribe Names
Chapter 4 - Dog Walk
Chapter 5 - Clean Slate
Chapter 6 - Farm Help
Chapter 7 - Campsite Permits
Chapter 8 - Entertainment Team
Chapter 9 - Out There
Chapter 10 - Not a Good Day
Chapter 11 - Not a Child
Chapter 12 - Nightmares
Chapter 13 - Unwelcome Guest
Chapter 14 - Truths
Chapter 15 - Appointments
Chapter 16 - Worries
Chapter 17 - Relief
Chapter 18 - Disappointment
Chapter 19 - Realization
Chapter 20 - Distraction
Chapter 21 - Hair
Chapter 22 - Loss
Chapter 23 - Dreams
Chapter 24 - Trail Ride
Chapter 25 - An Adventure
Chapter 26 - Secrets and Truths
Chapter 27 - Finding Out
Chapter 28 - Back to Life
Chapter 29 - News
Chapter 30 - Country Boy
Chapter 32 - We Meet Again
Chapter 33 - Phone
Chapter 34 - Camping
Chapter 35 - Memories
Chapter 36 - Together Again
Chapter 37 - Mingan
Chapter 38 - Moving Out
Chapter 39 - Josh
Chapter 40 - Michelle
Chapter 41 - A Letter
Chapter 42 - Picnic
Chapter 43 - The Opening
Chapter 44 - A Night to Remember
Chapter 45 - Anahu

Chapter 31 - Wolf

2.6K 178 15
Von moudenes

CHRIS

The black shape in front of me sharpens until I see a TV screen hanging from the ceiling.

"Chris... Thank you God..."

Amy's voice makes me turn to my right and my heart breaks when I focus on her bloodshot eyes. Surely, I gave her a big scare, only this time, the circumstances are different. I try to smile to reassure her that I'm okay.

"Hey, sis..." I try to sit, but a groan escapes me when I put the weight on my left arm. "This hurts like hell!"

"Try to move as little as possible. The bullet broke your collarbone," Amy fixes my pillows to prop me up some.

"How long have I been in here?" I notice the almost empty blood bag attached to my arm.

"About eight hours," Amy looks at her watch.

"Are Sebastian and Kitchi okay? Sebastian also got shot, right?"

"Yes, but the bullet only grazed his arm. They are both at their homes resting."

"Is Nadine okay?"

The door opens and Huritt comes in, carrying a few bags from a fast-food chain. His worried face turns into a relieved one when he sees me.

"I'm so glad to see you awake," he places the bags on a small table and pats my leg. "Amy, I've got your dinner," he says to my sister.

"Huritt, where is Nadine? Is she okay?"

"She is, among the circumstances. Grandma is keeping her company at the ranch. She's shaken after all that happened, but has kept a brave attitude."

"Please, keep her safe on my behalf," I feel relieved that nothing happened to her.

"I promise," Huritt says.

"Chris, you probably don't want to talk about what happened, but we wonder what went on. All we know is what Sebastian and Ben saw," Amy says.

I take a deep breath to put my thoughts and memories in order and to relax my muscles as the pain of my broken bone seems to have gone up a notch.

"It wasn't even 15 minutes before everything happened, that Nadine was at the stables to tell me she saw the wolf. She always feels calm in his presence, but this time, she felt a sense of urgency. Almost as if it was giving her a warning."

"Nadine has seen it? The wolf? It exists for real?" Amy looks at Huritt with surprise.

"Not for real, it's a protector spirit," I say. "Besides Nadine and Huritt, other people have seen it, including myself, but that's a story for another day. Huritt you are not crazy."

Huritt seems deep in thought at my revelation.

"I told Nadine to call me anytime if she felt uneasy and I would go to her. Then after I mucked the stables, I went to check on Bette because I have the idea that she's due soon. I heard heavy footsteps behind me, different to how any of the guys walk and when I turned around, a man shot me. No words..." I place my hand on my bandaged shoulder. "I fell from the impact while my mind was going a thousand miles per hour. He was still pointing the gun at me when I heard Sebastian and Kitchi's laughter. He turned around and shot in their direction. I used the chance to grab a spade nearby and hit him in the head. Did I kill him?"

"No, but you knocked him out," Amy says. "Ben heard the shots and ran to the stables. He tied the man first in case he woke up and called for help."

"Who is this man? He seemed determined to kill me," I say and Amy shudders.

"Nadine's ex," Huritt says.

I feel dizzy, and my chest tightens.

"Chris, are you okay?" Amy asks, and I shake my head in negative.

A loud beeping sound comes from nearby and suddenly I have medical personnel checking on me. The one I believe is a doctor determines I need more blood and oxygen. Amy and Huritt are allowed to enter again and I can't fight how fatigued I feel as she places her lips on my forehead.

I focus on the stand holding a plain IV next to the hospital bed, the one with blood gone. Nadine reads a book and lifts her face when she registers that I'm watching her.

"How are you feeling?" She stands up and kisses my face as her arms hug me softly.

"I believe I'm okay or maybe I'm still drugged. I will make sure that man never hurts you again," I caress her hair.

"You are a hero, Chris," Nadine holds my hand.

"I'm no hero."

"You knocked a man out with a spade while having a broken collarbone to protect Sebastian and Kitchi. You saved all of us."

"Where is he? How did he find me?"

"In a cell at the police station, going nowhere. He'd probably been following me for a while. I'm sorry I got you in my mess," Nadine face turns red and a few angry tears roll down her cheeks.

"It's okay, the important thing is that you are safe now and he can't escape," I caress her hand with my thumb.

"I only hope he rots in jail!" Nadine clears her tears roughly and pulls the chair closer to the bed.

"That's probably what many people wished for me when I was in jail."

Nadine pales at my words. "I'm sorry Chris. I- I would never-"

"And they were right. I deserved it then. The difference is that I swore I would never go back to that life, and I have kept my word."

"Kyle didn't even make it to jail. He's been on the run since the raid. He now has so many criminal charges pending that he won't escape easily from punishment."

"What I wonder is how on earth did he get in the ranch? Rowtag has security and cameras everywhere."

"The investigation is still going on. Row dropped me here before heading to the police station with the security film."

A small knock on the door interrupts us and I grin at Kitchi and Istu's sight.

"Dammit! You are like a bad weed, nothing can get rid of you," Kitchi shakes my hand, making me laugh.

"How are you feeling?" Istu asks while greeting me.

"Just woke up, and since there's no blood bag hanging there, I'll take it as a sign that I'm better. How are you doing Kit?"

"Still shaky. One moment I'm teasing Sebastian about having a girlfriend and a second later, he shoves me into a stable," Kitchi shows me the bruises on his arms.

"Chris, Amy will be here soon," Istu says. "Grandma convinced her to stay at the ranch until we are sure the man who did this doesn't have friends. Huritt escorted the police around the premises this morning."

We all catch up on the developments of the last hours and the theories on how the man trespassed the property.

"My feelings after the wolf appeared were right. He shows up when we need comfort or protection," Nadine says.

"Wolf? Oh, you must mean Grandpa."

We all stare at Kitchi, who leans against the wall with his arms crossed.

"Grandpa? What does the wolf have to do with Grandpa?" Istu asks wide-eyed.

"Hey, every-" is all Huritt gets to say as Amy and he enter the room.

"Kit, what do you know about the wolf?" Istu asks.

"I have seen it everywhere. By the edge of the... Green- Behind the main building..."

"Forest," I say, and he nods.

"By the stables, close to the campsite and on the trail rides. I saw it for the first time when the construction started," Kitchi shrugs like it's no big deal.

"Gray Wolf Ranch... You were the one who suggested that name," Huritt says.

"Yeah, I'm not that creative," Kitchi chuckles.

"You still haven't answered my question. What does the wolf have to do with Grandpa?" Istu says.

"Oh, that is simple. Grandpa is the wolf. Gray long hair, the same eye color as Dad's eyes, and he always had that necklace with a broken arrowhead. He always protected us, still does now in spirit, well, animal spirit."

"I need to go to Grandma," Huritt kisses Amy on the head in a hurry and leaves.

"What was that about?" Kitchi asks still looking at the door.

"I have an idea," Istu says. "Grandma's folklore doesn't seem like children stories anymore."

"Are you two official? I didn't have a chance before to ask," I say to Amy while the brothers discuss about their grandparents.

"We were on our way to share the news with everyone. I have accepted to date him, but honestly, we passed that stage a long time ago. We told his family last night," she looks at Istu and Kitchi, who have turned their attention to our conversation, and blushes.

"I'm glad you changed your mind," I say to her.

"Me too. I was getting fed up with Huritt moping around," Kitchi rolls his eyes, making us laugh.

I can't ignore the pain of my stitched wound and the broken bone, but truthfully, I would do it all over again if it means saving the people who matter to me.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

2M 82.9K 55
Scars... Some are worn on the outside and read like a book, others are hidden on the inside, unseen but shape every fabric of our being. Alpha Chris...
430K 15K 44
"You can't go out now. The werewolf is roaming the forests." ........ Alexia Summer had no clue what she was going to get herself into when the two c...
52.3K 1.7K 29
This story is not about rejection or my pack beause I would have had to know about werewolves before I fell in love with one. With a family cabin al...
4M 141K 70
(Update: 2/25/19- This story was original called Alphas Red. Noticing there is so much to be added to this novel. I've decided to make it into a seri...