The Vampire's Requiem [malexm...

נכתב על ידי rotXinXpieces

Newell C. Drakon is on the run. From bloodthirsty terrorists to soulsucking oni, Newell hardly has a chance t... עוד

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Seven

22.4K 1.1K 372
נכתב על ידי rotXinXpieces

Chapter Twenty-Seven (Newell)

It was difficult to put into words how I felt.

So I played the piano instead. It was one of the few things I was forced to do and enjoyed thoroughly as a child. My parents insisted that music was apart of being sophisticated. If you couldn't play an instrument, you were a plebian. An uncultured plebian. And that was simply not allowed in the Drakon Clan. I had been trained in multiple instruments, but there was only one that struck me to the core of my soul.

And that was the piano.

There was something about the way it sounded, the way the keys felt beneath my fingers. It was difficult to explain how I connected with the piano. All I knew was that when it came to emotions, I was broken, until I sat at a piano.

It was soothing, even when I was enraged. The piano never snapped back at me, never slapped me, or yelled at me. The piano was obedient for every cold key I struck and a note rang out.

My fingers flew across the keys with an ease I was amazed I had retained considering it'd been far too long since I'd sat at a piano. I didn't have the sheet music, but the music played in my mind, my fingers only mimicking what I saw in my head.

And the entire time I played Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, I could feel Xed's eyes burning holes into me. With nowhere else to sit, he sat beside me on the bench, eyes following my fingers before drifting to my face as if he were waiting for me to show emotion on my face, but I kept it void.

I only let it flow through my fingers and strike the keys gently, slowly. The melody purred from the grand piano, giving me chills. Even when I missed a note, Xed still seem entranced. He was in child-like awe that sent a bolt of superiority coursing through me. It actually felt wonderful to have someone appreciate this, and classical music no less.

Xed had no idea what the name of the song was. He didn't know that it could be played several times better than I could. He simply enjoyed it.

I expected him to be angry after the way I had treated him a couple days before, but he seemed at peace with it. He wasn't much for conflict and preferred to end things quickly. I could never understand how he managed to put up with me this far. After all the insults, degrading, and orders, he still managed to insist on staying beside me.

Quite literally.

His eyes widened slightly as I hit the much quicker part of the piece. My fingers struck the keys hard and fast, feeling as numb from the amount of activity. I continued, hitting the keys, foot very gently touching the pedal every now and again. I cocked my head, watching my own fingers flee across the keys as they rang out beneath the pressure. I slowed before hitting another crescendo, speeding up once again.

He continued to sit there, fascinated by the music, and probably the way my hands moved. Even I was mildly impressed with myself for being able to move that quickly after all this time.

Xed fascinated me in his own way, though. There was something oddly intriguing about him, something that I obviously would never tell him. I noticed that whenever I said something that pleased him, he got this content smile on his face, like he couldn't be happier. It made my heart tighten and I regretted making him happy.

That wasn't my job. We were partners and nothing more, no matter how many dreams I had where we were entertwined in positions that would give the Kama Sutra a run for its money. There was simply no way for it work between us.

And while I tried hard to blame it on Xed, it always came running back to me. I didn't want a relationship, they were a hindrance. Should someone come for me, they'd strike at Xed first in order to hurt me. If something were to happen to him, I could fall apart. And I would never let that happen. I'd already allowed someone to get the jump on me before and I couldn't risk it happening again. Not to mention, as much good as Xed as done for me, I couldn't bring myself to trust him.

My parents had easily turned their backs on me. Vladimir did as well and my own followers.

Xed wasn't special. He could do the same just as easily. He could turn on me as quick as everyone else, devouring me or handing me over to Zephyra or someone else. While the emotional part of my mind hissed at me for thinking such stupidity, my rational side agreed that there was no point in trusting Xed.

He was a bodyguard.

He was a partner.

But nothing more.

Anything more and both of our lives could come crashing down...

I finished the piece, cracking my knuckles and flexing my fingers as Xed's expression softened. He was pleased with the way it sounded and I could tell he wanted to hear more, so I chose a more modern piece to play for him. I let the song play in my head first before relaxing. I placed my fingers on the keys, exhaling a long breath before I played slowly. Key after key fell under my fingers as I played, feeling Xed's eyes following my fingers, then drawing back up to my face in hopes of seeing something, but I kept my face impassive.

Listen to the song, damn it. I wanted to tell him. You'd find nothing on my face.

That was the point of playing the piano. When words were simply not enough, the music was enough to express everything. I struck key after key, moving quicker and quicker before steadily slowing down until the song was finished.

"Victor's Solo," I told Xed, making him look at me, "From the Tim Burton movie The Corpse Bride." Xed looked at me curiously and I scoffed. He was wondering why I would watch a movie meant for the younger generation. I looked away from him, hitting a few of the notes from the song.

"I enjoy Tim Burton's gothic scene and sick sense of humor is all. Danny Elfman wrote the music, though." I admitted, pausing to frown at the keys before looking up to see Xed staring at me. I raised an eyebrow, waiting for him to gesture or do something, but he was like a statue. I scowled and he snapped out of whatever trance he was in. A very faint smile pulled up at the corner of his lips.

What was he thinking?

"Well," I said, clearing my throat and gently placing the lid over the keys, noticing a flicker of disappointment in Xed's eyes that made me almost chuckle, but I caught myself and continued, "We'll continue this later. Right now, I'm thirsty. We'll go to the kitchen." Xed nodded and we got up, leaving the ballroom and making our way to the kitchen. I remained silent, as I still felt awkward about yesterday.

I made sure to sleep lightly from now on. Less likely to dream, and less likely to wake up kissing someone. And by someone, I meant Xed.

"You're joking!" Xed and I stopped just outside of the kitchen at the sound of Alexander's outburst. There was a short pause as he went silent. Xed and I shared curious stares before we approached the kitchen door, opening it to find Alexander and Vladimir there. Vladimir glanced up from blowing on his mug of blood and Alexander winced.

"Vladimir's jokes are terrible." I stated. Vladimir scrunched up his nose, leaning on the counter top.

"They most certainly are not. I'm hilarious."

"A riot." I deadpanned. Vladimir smirked and went back to blowing on the mug before taking a sip, shivering in delight. Alexander frowned, folding his arms over his chest, glaring at Vladimir.

"You can't be serious, though. I thought you said you and Newell were the only ones with telekinetic powers." He said. Vladimir stiffened. I snapped my head to glare at him.

"There's someone else?" I demanded. How was that possible? I'd never met anyone aside from Vladimir who had the abilities. Vladimir pretended to be innocent and sip his blood, but Alexander was glaring at him hard enough that it actually seemed to make him uncomfortable. Vladimir sighed reluctantly and set the mug down.

"I'm not positive," He started, making Alexander narrow his eyes, "But there were rumors about a man in Chicago. He volunteers at a children's hospital and there's this video of him on YouTube doing something... odd."

"Odd." I echoed flatly.

"Odd," Vladimir responded, "I'll bring it up on my phone." He took out a touch screen phone from his pocket, to which I snorted as a response. Vladimir cocked his brow at me cheekily before he went back to bringing up the video. Once it was up, we had to lean over as held up the small phone.

The video was a bit unfocused, but it was obviously a man entertaining a group of children at the hospital. He was of average height, somewhere between five seven and five ten with a dark mop of hair pinned back from his smiling face and dark eyes. He was telling the kids a story when he held his hand out to one of the teddy bears a child was holding. The teddy bear shot up and flew across the room into his arms. The children squealed with laughter, clapping their hands excitedly.

"You sure that wasn't a string or anything or the child didn't toss it?" I asked, even though I had just seen it with my own eyes. There wasn't the glint of a string or even the slightest sign the child threw it. Her arms were clapped in front of her around the teddy bear that wedged itself out of her arms and into the man's.

"What's his name?" Alexander asked with a frown. Vladimir scrolled to the comments, eyes scanning.

"Says his name is Misha Greene. He volunteers every Sunday and Monday at the children's hospital and when he's not doing that, he's selling TVs at Best Buy." He read with a frown. I scoffed.

"Well, he sounds absolutely fascinating. Is he human?" I asked. Vladimir shook his head and took a snapshot of the video, then zoomed in on Misha's mouth in the middle of one of his laughs. Sure enough, a pair of fangs glinted just barely.

"He's a vampire then." I deadpanned. And oh how my species has fallen. Volunteer work? Best Buy? Even Alaric had a better job and his was whoring around and cutting deals with strangers. Of course, there might be something about him we don't know and there was only one way to find out. However, no sooner had the idea crossed my mind did Alexander glare at me.

"Oh no, you are not going after him. First of all, you don't have the proper supplies. Second, the entire world is hunting you down and he could get killed in the process. Or worse when they find out what he can do. No, I'd feel safer if we sent Claude and Kristopjhe." He said, turning to Vladimir now. I scowled.

"Why do you care what happens to me? And I'll have Xed with me. We'll be fine." I insisted. Alexander gave me an annoyed frown, folding his arms over his chest as he faced me.

"Are you fine now?" He demanded. I raised an eyebrow.

"Yes."

"Because you're here," Alexander snapped in irritation, "With Vladimir, where it's safe. Look, Claude and Kristophe are really good at sneaking around. Trust me, they somehow manage to show up right when I need them."

"Then why aren't they showing up now?" I pressed. Alexander blushed. Vladimir smirked, pushing off the counter top and giving Alexander a peck on the cheek before he glanced at me.

"Really think you can get him here without getting him killed?" He asked. Alexander gave him a look of disbelief, but didn't argue. He just glared at me. I ignored it and looked at Vladimir, determined.

"Absolutely. I got Starling here in one piece, didn't I?" I asked. Vladimir shrugged at that and gave Alexander a look that said he was seriously considering sending me after Misha. Alexander grimaced, rubbing a hand up and down his arm nervously.

"But the tests..." His voice trailed as Vladimir reached up to brush the hair back from Alexander's face. He placed a chaste kiss on his lips and smiled that foxy smile of his.

"Think of it this way, love, now we have more time to ourselves for the first time in a few days." He pointed out, cocking his head. Alexander gave pause at that, then smiled faintly before nodding. Vladimir grinned at that, then turned to me as I tried not to scowl in disgust at their lovey dovey talk.

"Then it's settled," He responded, "I'll have Claude and Kristophe go with you. Because the chances of either of you knowing how to drive are slim to none." I scrunched up my nose at that, but didn't argue because he was right. Part of me would have rather had Hunter drive us, but he was still in the odd coma Vladimir had plunged him in. I had gone to check on him yesterday and he was still pale, but fast asleep. He had only rolled over on his side and still didn't wake up.

Xed and I gathered up our things in the room to take off, planning to leave Starling in the safety of the Gothica Manor. Alexander had promised to teach Starling as much as he could while we were gone as well as keep him safe. I was actually rather thankful that he was so considerate.

However, while Alexander was happy to help, Starling very much did not want to be left behind. Trying to say goodbye was actually rather difficult. I hadn't expected it to be so hard to leave Starling behind. We hadn't traveled together for very long, and yet, it still felt like we had been together for a long time.

"No," Starling sobbed, jerking roughly on my sleeve, unaware that he was on the verge of ripping it, "Pretty stay!" I tried to pry his fingers off me, but a vampire compared to a dragon was no contest when it came to strength. I sighed, looking at Xed helplessly. He gave me a sad look in return. I could tell he felt sorry for Starling. He too had grown attached to the child.

"Come on," Alexander told Starling gently, touching his shoulder, "Newell has to go to work. He'll be back, though." Starling sniffled and seemed confused by the words before he slowly released me.

"Back?" He asked me. I hesitated, glancing at Alexander, who gave me a warning look. I would have to return to deliver Misha, but I didn't plan to stay longer than that. It was too risky and I didn't have time to waste here. I needed to keep moving, otherwise, Zephyra would catch up to me before I could even gain back my losses.

"Yes." I said at last. Starling smiled through his tears, then threw his arms around me. I stiffened, still not used to his sudden, rib-crushing hugs. Alexander smiled sweetly at that and Vladimir pretended to be interested in something else. He wasn't even receiving the hug and he found it awkward. I think we found something to agree on. Claude just gave me a shit-eating grin that made me want to rip his face off while Kristophe had gathered up our luggage to carry out to the car. Xed stepped to the side to assist him.

"Okay," Alexander told Starling after a few moments of hugging that resulted in lack of oxygen on my part, "Say bye-bye, Starling. He's going to work." He took Starling's hand and managed to get him off me. Starling sniffled again, another wave of tears hitting him. Goddess, what an emotional child.

But then, he never had someone he was this close to. This was the first time someone had showed interest in him.

"Bye-bye." Starling whimpered. I sighed, shaking my head. I reached out and ruffled his hair, making him smile again. I turned to Claude, who was still grinning.

"Wipe that look off your face and get in the damn car." I snapped at him. Claude snorted, but bade farewell to Vladimir and followed me anyway. The air was bitter and cold outside. The snow was half melted, making Vladimir's once beautiful yard look unattractive. The snow wasn't white like it was when it first fell, now a dull gray color mixed with mud. The sky was a dull gray, hiding the sunlight so it was a bit on the dark side. Kristophe and Xed had finished loading our luggage into the back of a silver Lexus SUV.

"Why does Vladimir have an SUV?" I asked dryly. The Lexus made sense, but an SUV? Claude crossed his arms over his chest, leaning on the trunk after Kristophe had closed it.

"When he and Alexander take trips to the U.P. They pack way too much shit when they go up there." He answered, making Kristophe frown at him for his derogatory language before he looked at me.

"We're ready to go when you are. We're taking the high way right into Chicago. Claude and I will drop you and Xed off at the children's hospital while we get a hotel. Once we're finished, we'll meet with you at the front doors of the hospital. Does that sound good?" He asked. I nodded, then gestured for Xed to follow me as we climbed into the back seat. Kristophe got behind the wheel and Claude took the passenger seat. In a matter of minutes, we were heading down the long, winding driveway to the main road.

The ride was uncomfortable. Claude only saw it as a chance for him to eerily stare at Kristophe like a starving dog in front of a butcher's shop. Kristophe was either oblivious or really good at ignoring it because he said nothing and drove calmly with his eyes on the road. Xed sat like a statue beside me, staring out the window as if he were enamored by the view.

Claude eventually turned on the radio, but it was some revolting music that involved lots of screaming and shouting about absolutely nothing whatsoever. I wasn't a fan of metal, and there was even some rock that I couldn't bear to listen to. Screaming music always irked me. It made me angry for some reason, wanting to scream myself.

I slumped in the seat and tried to relax as much as possible as we got on the highway a ways down the main road. Claude eventually fell asleep, Kristophe driving in silence. Xed seemed as stone-like as ever.

My fingers ached to return to the piano in Vladimir's ballroom. After having played it so much the past few days, it felt strange not to spend another few hours at the keys. Instead, I drummed my fingers on my knees, finding the tune to Greensleeves in no time. It was a cliche song that was found even on certain house phones, but it was a beautiful song none the less and my favorite.

Depending on how it was played, it could sound painful and sorrowful or exciting and eager. I preferred an odd mingle of the two, but I suppose it all depended on how someone felt when they played.

Thinking about it put me to sleep and I found myself plunged in an interesting dream. I was sitting at a white grand piano, fingers already playing. I was in an empty dark room, so dark that I couldn't see anything, but the piano. A candlelight casting an eerie glow across the piano's surface. I frowned at it, then down at my fingers. My eyes flickered and my senses burned as I watched blood leak in between the white keys. I tried to stop playing to figure out what was happening, but my fingers didn't listen and continued to play what I soon recognized to be a demented version of Fur Elise.

I had played the song a million times, but for some reason, it sounded eerie and dangerous now. A few of the notes sounded wrong, but it still managed to sound like the song-- mostly.

I could only watch as blood gushed between the keys and coated my fingers, then oozed down onto the white floor, staining it with a red blood. I grimaced and looked up. A scream caught in my throat as my fingers abruptly halted at the sight of a corpse lying face down on top of the piano. I hesitated, staring, then jumping as the keys of the piano continued to play on their own. I looked down, watching the keys leap across quickly. I scowled in confusion before I recognized the tune.

The Death Waltz.

I looked up to look at the corpse, but it was gone. I frowned and looked around, ignoring the song as it continued to play, but at a slower pace than I've ever heard it. I managed to stand up and look around the dark room when I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, causing me to whip around to see who was behind me.

And a card hit me in the face.

I snatched it before it could fall into the pool of blood at my feet, but upon looking down, the blood had vanished. The piano and bench were clean of blood now. I shook my head, then looked down at the card, then froze.

It was the image of Death, but he was holding his scythe with the blade facing up and lying stuck on the blade was Xed. I dropped the card with a gasp, stepping back when my back hit something. I whipped around, expecting to see yet another ghost or corpse, but much to my relief, it was Xed. He was wearing a very attractive white suit. It only made his olive skin seem darker and his blue hair seem bluer.

"Newell," He murmured, reaching his hand out to brush my cheek, "What're you doing?" I went to look down at the card in an attempt to find an explanation, but when I looked down, it was gone. I looked up at Xed, grimacing.

"Debating whether I should seek mental help or not." I responded. Xed smiled at that, then wrapped his arms around me tightly. While in reality I would have writhed to get away from him, in a dream, I was safe. Mostly. So I let him hold me, sighing in relief at how strong his arms felt around me. They were like protective steel bars around me, squeezing tightly, but gently at the same time. His head rested on top of mine, a hand supporting the back of my head and the other resting on my hip.

"Don't say that," He said gently, "You're perfectly sane." I scoffed at that, which only made Xed hold me tighter. He bent his head, burying his face against my throat. It took me a moment to feel his teeth sink into my throat, however. A gasp escaped my lips and I dug my fingernails into Xed's back, hissing past clenched teeth. He sucked hard on my throat. I waited for unbelievable pain and anger, but instead, my body shivered and a moan escaped my lips.

Fantastic. I'm a masochist now.

Xed licked at the bite mark on my throat, suckling for a moment before licking again to heal it. He placed a soft kiss there, then kissed up to my ear. I bit into my lip so hard it bled as his teeth sank into my earlobe. I tightened my grip on him, feeling my body harden in response to his nibbles.

"Why are you biting me?" I breathed as he moved his mouth down to my shoulder where he again sank his teeth into me, making me wonder when I lost my shirt. He licked the blood away and breathed hotly against my skin.

"Because you're good enough to eat," Xed purred, pulling me up against him so I could feel the hardness between his legs grind against mine, leaving me breathless, "You taste so good, Newell." I didn't know what to say to that. I just moaned as he bit down on my collarbone. With his teeth so sharp, I barely felt it. It was only a sharp sting before pleasure flooded my body, heating my blood and sending it all south.

And just when I thought it wouldn't get any better, I felt someone ruffling my hair. For a second, I wasn't sure what was going on, until I shut my eyes tight, then opened them to find myself looking up at Xed through hooded eyes. He was looking down at me with a curious frown, head cocked like a dog's. I blinked a few times, then shot upright, almost colliding our heads together when I realized I had fallen asleep on his lap. I scowled, rubbing my arms and avoiding Xed's stare.

"Where are we?" I demanded, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Claude had a wicked smirk on his face, which I glared at him for, while Kristophe hummed, maneuvering through traffic on the high way.

"We're getting there. Five'o'clock traffic. Everyone's rushing to get home. Give me about forty five minutes to an hour."

"Why so long? Isn't that the hospital over there?" I looked out the window to see a large, glittering building with the word "hospital" peeking out from the side. Kristophe cleared his throat and Claude snorted, gesturing to a mini-van in front of us.

"As soon as this assfuck decides to get his ass in gear, we'll be there." He said. I sighed, frustrated as I rubbed my temples. I glanced out the corner of my eye at Xed, who had finally stopped looking at me, but it still made me uncomfortable. I wasn't sure if I had spoken in my sleep or not, or if just being on his lap was awkward.

I had made it plainly clear that there was nothing between us, but partnership. Employee and employer, except I didn't pay him. That made me twitch. What was Xed even getting out of this? I had no money, so I couldn't pay him. I had nothing, actually, so what was he receiving for all his trouble? I couldn't say my gratitude. I was caught between not caring if I died, and not really wanting to die.

Now I was just depressing myself.

I forced all other emotional thoughts out of my head to focus on the task at hand.

There was someone else out there with the telekinetic abilities. Another vampire, named Misha Greene. A volunteer at a children's hospital, who worked at Best Buy, and lived in a rundown apartment. The thought made me cringe again, but then, I suppose it was better than my current situation. However, I still wouldn't exchange lives with him-- unless it involved his powers.

Anyway, Vladimir told us to grab Misha and bring him back to the manor, but how exactly was that going to work? Misha sounded like he didn't want to be anywhere near the political side of our species, and while that was a difficult task, it could be done-- apparently. And he didn't seem to want to go near it, but there was no choice.

We had to bring Misha back with us.

Even if we had to do it by force.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

668K 41.2K 105
The day that Kai learns that he's half-human, half-merman and that he's the key to ending a 100-year-old war, is also the day that the entire ocean l...
26.7K 1.1K 26
After a disastrous climb up Half Dome in Yosemite, California -Eoin finds himself taken to a different world than the one he was born into. It's a pl...
68.7K 5.4K 28
"When I first saw you, I thought I'd have to kill you." "Uh, excuse me?" "But now I'll kill anyone that even thinks of laying a finger on you," he s...
1.4K 105 27
I am, in fact rewriting this soon lolz (ManxMan) The royal house of the mermaids has fallen to hard times, with the still recent death of their queen...