That's Just The Beginning

By istolethecookiez

Fiona Harper is an angel in nearly everyone's eyes. But there is more to this good girl; she'd rather ditch c... More

That's Just The Beginning
Prologue
Chapter 1: Family Problems (E)
Chapter 2: Where we stand (E)
Chapter 3: The Insult that Hurts (E)
Chapter 4: Time to Par-Tay (E)
Chapter 5: Even makeup doesn't make me prettier. (E)
Chapter 6: This means War (E)
Chapter 7: Date night (E)
Chapter 8: It's official, he cares. (E)
Chapter 9: Spray Paint Switch-Up (E)
Chapter 10: Bonfire Time (E)
Chapter 11: Oh Crap... literally (E)
Chapter 12: Drowning (E)
Chapter 13: Sneaking In (E)
Chapter 14: I chose you, Pikachu. (E)
Chapter 15: How's that for hanging out? (E)
Chapter 16: Movie Night (E)
Chapter 17: 3 out of 26
Chapter 19: Troy & Gabriela- Adrian & Fiona- Not
Chapter 20: What is this Halloween Dance you speak of?
Chapter 21: 7/26 and Breaking It Down
Chapter 22: Fighting like a Married Couple
Chapter 23: 10/26 featuring Glow sticks
Chapter 24: Detention and Suspension (11/26)
Chapter 25: Yes, you share a drink on a date.
Chapter 26: The Hyena and I - 15/26
Chapter 27: Take the darn jacket
Chapter 28: I didn't hear you the first or second time.
Chapter 29: Welcome to Laser Tag, Population: Problems.
Chapter 30: I love you, Blake
Chapter 31: Wise Emilia
Chapter 32: Not so good terms
Chapter 33: Painter Problems
Chapter 34: Oops, did I do that?
Chapter 35: Do me a favor.
Chapter 36: False Hope
Chapter 37: Weather Problems
Chapter 38: Part 1
Chapter 39: Part 2
Chapter 40: Big Mistake
Chapter 41: Very Good Things
Chapter 42: It All Falls into Place
Epilogue
Q&A

Chapter 18: 6 out of 26

324K 9.3K 2.4K
By istolethecookiez

Chapter 18

I woke up to shouting and someone jumping on my bed. I sat up, running a hand through my hair as I blinked. I felt dizzy from sitting up so quickly.

“You need to get up! We need to go to the store or else your Aunt is going to have a fit!” Jessie shouted at me, placing her hands on my hips. I looked at her, amazed. How could she be standing 5 feet away but still jumping on my bed? I looked at the foot of my bed to see Adrian bouncing up and down on my bed like a 3 year old. Didn’t he go to bed around the same time I did? Wait just a second; didn’t I fall asleep on the roof? My eyes darted to Adrian’s, who were staring at my disheveled hair.

“Morning sleeping beauty, get up.” He snorted, standing up and exiting the room along with Jessie. I sat on the side of my bed, hanging my head down.

After I showered and changed into a pair of average navy blue jeans and a navy blue sweater that I randomly grabbed out of my closet, I let my hair dry after I brushed it. They were rushing me. I applied a layer of lip gloss and put on my socks with navy converse. I looked at my hair to see that it was frizzing so I quickly diminished that by using mousse. I looked in the mirror once more before I realized what exactly the shirt says.

‘Good Girls Love Bad Boys.’ I snorted at the perfect saying for this perfect event. Before I left my room, I quickly walked over to my ‘For Now Bucket List’ and crossed out whatever I completed.

Bucket List
1. Go on a real first date (with someone I actually like) for a picnic, I like picnics.
2. Get kicked out of a store, one I don’t go to because they might ban me and I can’t have that.
3. Skip school for a day and go out, not stay home.
4. Go on a rollercoaster at an amusement park, one that my instinct says ‘No’ to.
5. Dye my hair a crazy color, for example; dying the tips red or blue. Or maybe even a streak. (Or two.)
6. Dance in the rain with someone, hopefully a guy… who has abs, and happens to be shirtless but I’ll settle for Jessie if I have to.
7. Go to a drive in movie. I think this is pretty self-explanatory.
8. Throw a drink in someone’s face because they’re a jerk. (With Ethan.)
9. Pull an all-nighter and watch the sun rise on the roof, it seems fun. (With Adrian.)
10. Carve my name into a tree and hopefully it’ll stay there.
11. Go laser tagging, it seems amazing; lasers and tag.
12. Have a paint fight… an accidental one.
13. Go through a drive through on foot, it’ll tick off the worker and it’ll be fun!
14. Have a nerf gun fight, if I can get my hands on some.
15. Jump into a pool with all of my clothes on, or maybe get pushed. Ha, kidding.
16. Play Hide n Seek at midnight, its dark and fun. You have to play it with people you know though; you can’t play with an ex-convict because they can shank you.
17. Have a shopping cart race at Wal-Mart or any other large department store.
18. Go swimming at Midnight, it sounds adventurous and dangerous.
19. Buy white Converse and have people sign them, hopefully there isn’t anything bad on it, though. I may want to wear them to school.
20. Go to the Zoo, I’ve never been there and I really want to go.
21. Take pictures in a photo booth with either a guy that I like or a friend, it seems fun.
22. Play Hide N Seek in a store. If you get caught by a store clerk, pull a Velma. ‘My glasses, I can’t see without my glasses.’
23. Have a scary movie marathon. (With Jessie, Adrian, and Trent)
24. Have boys vs. girl’s water balloon fight… probably won’t happen. But one can dream, right?
25. Have someone win me a giant stuffed animal. And again, one can dream, right?
26. Get a boyfriend… and I repeat, one can dream!

I quickly walked outside of my room to see Jessie waiting impatiently. Her eyes raked over my outfit judgingly. What did she expect me to come out in? A sparkly red dress with designer heels? No, thank you. Her eyes read my shirt before they met mine.

“Is this supposed to be saying something?” She asked with a smirk. I shook my head, rolling my eyes.

“You guys were rushing me so I just grabbed any shirt. Do you want me to go change?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

“No, let’s go. Adrian’s already throwing a fit.” She raised my awareness while grabbing my forearm and yanking me outside.

“Finally!” Adrian announced as Jessie and I escaped out of the door. Trent smirked when he read my shirt and Adrian furrowed his eyebrows as he squinted.

“Are you trying to tell me something?” He asked, raising a teasing eyebrow. I rolled my eyes, shaking my head.

“But boy, don’t I know?” He muttered walking me to my door. He opened the passenger’s seat door and closed it before walking to the driver’s side and getting in. Trent and Jessie were already in Trent’s car, for whatever reason. Why weren’t we sharing a car?

“Please, you aren’t even a bad boy.” I snorted, rolling my eyes as I rolled up my sleeves. I should’ve checked the weather before I chose my clothes. He let out a bark of laughter, following Trent’s car.

“I so am a bad boy.” He laughed, rolling down his window. I mirrored his action.

“You are not. Just because you vandalize property doesn’t make you a bad boy.” I rolled my eyes and he laughed.

“I am a bad boy! I drink, vandalize,” He began and I turned on the radio. His eyes lit up. “And in the words of Rita Ora, I party and-.” He started singing but I cut off the radio.

“That’s enough radio for one day!” I announced, laughing loudly. He shook his head with a childish smile on his face.

 “So, what are we getting?” He asked me and I shrugged.

“Jessie has the list, but knowing her- she’s probably going to start ripping it into 4 so we’ll get it done quicker.” I snorted. Every time my Aunt would send Jessie and me on a food shopping trip, she’d rip it in half- calling me if she had any questions. Unless we’re shopping for clothes, she doesn’t waste time.

“I have an idea. Can you do me a favor?” He asked me and I raised an eyebrow. “All you have to do is text Trent whatever I say.” He sighed, rolling his eye and I shrugged.

“Get my phone out of my pocket,” He told me, driving down the highway towards Wal-Mart. I snorted, shaking my head. “Fine.” He smirked, taking one hand off of the wheel and digging in his pocket before handing me his phone.

“You have a code.” I stated, holding up the phone in my hands. He weighed his options before telling me the code. It was Mattie’s birthday. No surprise there. That sarcasm was intended.

“Tell him; Tell Jessie to cut the list into two,” He instructed me and I quickly typed it before giving him a flat look. “What?” He asked me.

“I could have done that! On my phone!” I exclaimed, holding my phone up. He snorted, shaking his head.

“That wouldn’t have been any phone, now. Would it?” He replied, smirking as he squinted forward, struggling to see Trent who was a good 10 meters away.

When we arrived at Wal-Mart, a shopping center, we got out of the car and met up at the place where you receive a carriage. Jessie held up the two ends of the list, somewhat confused.

“I’ll take one.” Adrian announced, snatching half of the list from Jessie. She glared at his rude behavior. I started to walk towards Jessie, expecting it to be girls and then guys but Adrian had another thought in his head.

“Let’s have a race.” He announced, smiling widely. Trent scowled and shook his head.

“You take everything overboard, dude.” Trent argued and Adrian shook his head.

“I promise I won’t. This is just for fun,” He said, grabbing a carriage. “C’mon, Fi-Fi.” He announced, placing my hand on the carriage like a child. I glared at him.

“Don’t call me that.” I stated, ripping my hand away from the carriage.

__

“You’re slowing us down, Fiona,” Adrian told me as I walked along beside the carriage at a snail’s pace. “Get in the carriage.” He told me and I looked at him, shocked. There was no way that carriage would be able to hold me and a bunch of other groceries. I shook my head.

“No. That’s reckless and dangerous.” I said, smiling at my own words. Without another thought, I began pushing aside the objects in the carriage and sitting myself into the metal cart without help from Adrian.

Instead of going at the speed Adrian was going before, he decided to speed it up, racing quickly between the isles. He was dodging old ladies and small toddlers. He was singing the cops theme song.

“BAD BOYS! BAD BOYS! WHATCHA GONNA DO! WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU?” He sang loudly, earning attention from onlookers as he snatched whatever we needed at insane speed. I was laughing so hard that my sides began to ache. This just encouraged him. There was even a moment where he lost the carriage and I was just free driving, he had to catch up with it before it crashed into the meat section.

“Stop! Stop right now!” The store manager called after Adrian and Adrian tossed a gallon of milk behind him, causing the store manager to fall, knocking down the boxes of cereal with him.

“FREE!!! FREE FALLING!” Adrian sang at the top of his lungs when he saw the manager drop. I was laughing silently, my body shaking as tears streamed down my eyes. He was making me laugh until I cried. Another store worker demanded that Adrian and I leave the cart where it was and exit the store.

“I’M NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP!” He started serenading the cart. It felt like my skin was going to rip and my ribs were going to pop, I was laughing so hard. As we neared the exit, Adrian quickly grabbed me and yanked me out of the cart, placing me on my feet as we darted out of the store and into his car. Now I see why we went in separate cars.

After Adrian drove around the corner to avoid police involvement, he texted Jessie and Trent the location of our abandoned cart so they could bring it to check out. I was still laughing and Adrian was smiling, letting out the occasional laugh. When I finally stopped laughing, it was because my phone was vibrating in my pocket. I thought it was Jessie, calling to scream at me for making them carry all of those bags to Trent’s car. Instead, it was my parents. My occasional chuckles turned to a grave expression as I answered the phone.

“Fiona Aubrey Hope Harper, you are in so much trouble!” My mother shouted through the phone. I winced and rubbed my face.

“Why?” I asked quickly. I needed to know why before I started panicking. It could be because I didn’t pick up the phone 2 minutes ago.

“You promised you’d attend your viola lesson and I’ve yet to hear from your instructor on any progress!” My mother demanded.

“I’ve been practicing, Mom. I promise.” I informed her. I was practicing… being a rebel.

“Okay, put the phone on speaker and play me a piece.” She demanded and I coughed.

“Well, I can’t right now. I’m not home.” I said, earning a curious glance from Adrian. I quickly placed my finger over my mouth.

“So you’re skipping viola classes to hang out with Jessie?” My mother’s disapproving tone fell through the phone.

“No, mom; I actually just finished shopping,” I bit back a laugh. “Food shopping, I just finished food shopping.” I informed her and she let out a grunt.

“When are you getting home?” I asked her and she thought for a moment.

“Around noon tomorrow,” She told me and I nodded, frowning slightly. “Anyway, I have to go. I expect you to attend every lesson when your father and I get back and even when we leave. We don’t pay for you to sit at home.” My mother told me, hanging up shortly after.

“Who was that?” Adrian asked casually, trying to hide his curiosity. Any traces of laughter I had prior to the phone conversation are gone.

“My mother.” I answered quickly. I felt my stomach start to growl so I tried to hide it with a cough. He just laughed and I gave a small smile. 

“Are you hungry?” He asked me and I nodded, slightly embarrassed. He got out of the car, walking over to my side and opening the door. I stepped out, awkwardly. I don’t know why he does that.

“Let’s go to the drive thru.” I said, jumping up and down. It’d be another thing to eliminate on my bucket list.

“Fine, let’s get the car.” Adrian said, whistling happily as he turned back towards the car but I shook my head, grabbing his arm and dragging him to the empty drive thru.

“Welcome to Burger Central. How may I help you?” The lady asked and I stepped back a few feet before leaning over and ordering.

“I’ll take a ranch burger with a side of medium fries and a large coke.” I announced and Adrian looked at me as If I was crazy. I nudged his side.

“I’ll take two large cheeseburgers and a side of medium fries. A large Sprite, please.” He ordered and the lady confirmed our order, giving us the total of 11.97$. I took out the money and he beat me to it. I glared at him but he just winked. We walked, rather quickly, imitating a car along the way, to the next window.

“Here’s your,” He lady started speaking before she turned to find the two of us grinning like school children. “Well here’s your food; have a nice day.” She asked, suddenly finding an attitude towards the end of her sentence. I just smiled and grabbed the bag while Adrian paid before stepping beside me. We made our way back to his car.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Adrian asked, sipping his sprite. He opened the door for me as I held a confused expression on my face. One he got into the car, I turned to him. “Your parents and stuff.” He said, shrugging. I shook my head, smiling.

“They’re just coming home tomorrow. They’re wondering why I’ve been skipping my viola classes.” I said sheepishly. It sounded better when I said it because I wasn’t intending to hurt his feelings, unlike my parents.

“Why have you been skipping your viola classes?” He asked, furrowing his eyebrows curiously.

“What teenager wants to wake up early on a Saturday morning and go to a building where it’s loud and everyone is a snob? I already deal with that Monday through Friday.” I spoke, shaking my head.

“Did you try telling them that?” He asked me with a mouthful of fries. I couldn’t help but smile. I nodded my head.

“They said that they want me to leave home with something because if I do become a failure, like they are betting on, I’ll at least have that.” I expressed. He raised an eyebrow.

“They said that?” He asked me and I shrugged.

“Along those lines, yes.” I nodded, biting into my burger. The taste of ranch filled my mouth.

“Do you want them to come home?” He asked, reminding me of a counselor.

“Yes, because it’s nice to have other people’s presence in your house. It’s also nice to not have to worry about doing everything yourself. I’m only 17 and I grocery shop, clean the whole house, and shop for other things that we need in the house. But it’s also nice when they’re gone because I can have Jessie over every day if I wanted and I can just be independent. They don’t track my every move.” I said, sitting back in my seat. He nodded his head.

“Can I ask you a question?” He asked me and I nodded instead of using the ‘you just did’ line.

“Why didn’t you go to any parties when they were away?” He asked, finishing off one of his burgers in less than 3 bites.

“I saw what the parties did to Jessie and how drunk she got, but then I realized that the reason Jessie had more friends than I did was because she went to parties and had fun; she acted like a real teenager while I acted more like an overworked mother.” I breathed out a laugh.

“Why’d you start going to parties?” He asked me and I bit my lip nervously.

“Because they seem fun?” I asked, feigning a smile. He gave me a flat look.

“The real reason, Fiona.” He said, biting into his burger. I wanted to laugh. Here he was, trying to be serious while eating a burger.

“Honestly, I wanted to rebel. The first party I went to was encouraged by my Aunt. She wanted me to ‘experience the full high school life’ and I wanted to laugh at that. And that party was terrible, believe me.” I sighed.

“Why?” He asked me and I pressed my lips together.

“Well, for one thing that was the night I met Ethan. But it was also the night where my face was caked in makeup and my hair was done, I was also wearing girly clothes and it was actually pretty nice out-.” I started to babble but Adrian gave me a look that told me to just say it.

“That was the party where you harassed me.” I said, biting the inside of my mouth. He furrowed his eyebrows, trying to remember the party. I should have just lied and said that it was because I went the whole night hungry or something stupid and like me.

I’m guessing it clicked in his head because he turned to look at me.

“You mean the time where you were on that hammock listening to music and I sat behind you for like 20 minutes waiting for you to realize I was there?” He asked with a raised eyebrow. That small fact towards the end of his sentence shocked me slightly but I nodded.

“Yeah, and when my Aunt called me and asked me to describe you.” I muttered, laughing slightly.

“When you didn’t answer the question about my big butt.” He joked and I smiled, nodding my head.

“And when you called me ugly after I kicked you,” I finished. He made a hissing sound. I’m not sure if it was because he made a mistake or if it was because he was reminiscing the pain of my kick. “For the second time in about a week.”

“Oh.” He muttered and I laughed awkwardly, nodding my head.

“I’m sorry about that.” He apologized and I nodded, shaking my hand.

“It’s okay, it’s old.” I expressed, trying to let out a chuckle.

“No, really; I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that.” He explained and I nodded my head.

“It’s fine.” I said, smiling at him. He sighed, frowning slightly. I felt my phone vibrate against my leg from my pocket and I fished it out, clicking the answer key.

“Where are you guys? We’ve been driving around Wal- Mart for about 10 minutes looking for your car. You know what? We’ll just meet you back at the house.” She told me and I approved before hanging up.

“They’re going to meet us back at the house.” I informed Adrian awkwardly and he nodded, driving us back to my house in silence.

__

“What happened to you guys?” Trent asked, amazed as we exited the car. They’d beat us by about 2 minutes. Adrian and I looked at each other and busted into laughter

“We heard your signing all the way in the dairy isle.” They explained as we dragged the bags into the kitchen.

“Well, Easton thought I was walking to slow so I had to get into the carriage where he proceeded to race around the store singing songs that suited the situations. Eventually, the manager told us to stop and we got out of the cart, got into the car, and drove around the corner. We walked through the drive thru and got food.” I nodded simply. Jessie smirked.

“Another thing off your bucket list? That’s three in one day! That means you finished…6, right?” She asked, raising an eyebrow. I gave her a look that said ‘Shut your mouth,’ but of course, she didn’t listen.

“Yes Jessie, I’ve completed 6.” I said, urging to rub my temples. She smirked.

“How many of them have been done with Adrian?” She asked and the guys were just staring at us. I know exactly what was racing through her mind. This is what you get for ditching me. I grit my teeth.

“5, Jessie.” I answered. I knew better to answer then to let her run upstairs and get the list where it’d be ripped out of her hands by Adrian, who’d probably laugh loudly at the list.

“Which ones, Fi-Fi? Enlighten me?” She joked, her eyes humorous.

“I’m sure you know.” I snipped back, glaring at her full heartedly.

“Should I go get the list?” She asked, making her way up the stairs and I shook my head ‘no,’ attempting at keeping my calm demeanor.

“No, you don’t have to. I remember them.” I said, looking at my nails. I pretended to be okay with what was happening but Jessie knew that I wasn’t. I’m sure everyone knew. 

“Then share them.” She smiled and I rolled my eyes as I started listing them off.

“Have a scary movie marathon, shopping cart race through Wal-Mart or any other large store, watch the sun rise on the roof after an all-nighter, get kicked out of a store, and go through a drive through on foot.” I announced, ticking them off on my fingers.

“I don’t remember being around for a few of those.” She smirked.

“And you won’t be around for any more if you don’t shut up.” I spat and she smiled innocently.

___

When Aunt Cherry left, it was a bittersweet moment. She’s more like a big sister than an Aunt. But her leaving also means that my parents are coming home, which also isn’t a good thing.

I know, you’re supposed to love your parents, I do. I just don’t think that they’re good parents. In my house, I grew up with my parents who dragged me to their business parties or with live in nannies. When I hit the age of 16, I convinced my parents that they could go out on business without getting a nanny for me.

My parents were inside my house right now, sleeping, like I should be doing. But instead, I was nervous about tomorrow. I didn’t have to face anyone at school after my stunt with Ethan. I need someone to talk to and Jessie is a heavy sleeper and Adrian, yeah, I thought about him, is not home. I think he’s vandalizing but I don’t know.

I grabbed my ‘For Now Bucket List’ and checked off whatever I did, adding little side notes.

Bucket List

1. Go on a real first date (with someone I actually like) for a picnic, I like picnics.

2. Get kicked out of a store, one I don’t go to because they might ban me and I can’t have that. (Adrian)

3. Skip school for a day and go out, not stay home.

4. Go on a rollercoaster at an amusement park, one that my instinct says ‘No’ to.

5. Dye my hair a crazy color, for example; dying the tips red or blue. Or maybe even a streak. (Or two.)

6. Dance in the rain with someone, hopefully a guy… who has abs, and happens to be shirtless but I’ll settle for Jessie if I have to.

7. Go to a drive in movie. I think this is pretty self-explanatory.

8. Throw a drink in someone’s face because they’re a jerk. (Ethan)

9. Pull an all-nighter and watch the sun rise on the roof, it seems fun. (Adrian) I fell asleep right after the sun fully set.

10. Carve my name into a tree and hopefully it’ll stay there.

11. Go laser tagging, it seems amazing; lasers and tag.

12. Have a paint fight… an accidental one.

13. Go through a drive through on foot, it’ll tick off the worker and it’ll be fun! (Adrian) It was so worth it.

14. Have a nerf gun fight, if I can get my hands on some.

15. Jump into a pool with all of my clothes on, or maybe get pushed. Ha, kidding.

16. Play Hide n Seek at midnight, its dark and fun. You have to play it with people you know though; you can’t play with an ex-convict because they can shank you.

17. Have a shopping cart race at Wal-Mart or any other large department store. (Adrian, Jessie, Trent) It was hilarious. Adrian and I were on the same team.

18. Go swimming at Midnight, it sounds adventurous and dangerous.

19. Buy white Converse and have people sign them, hopefully there isn’t anything bad on it, though. I may want to wear them to school.

20. Go to the Zoo, I’ve never been there and I really want to go.

21. Take pictures in a photo booth with either a guy that I like or a friend, it seems fun.

22. Play Hide N Seek in a store. If you get caught by a store clerk, pull a Velma. ‘My glasses, I can’t see without my glasses.’

23. Have a scary movie marathon. (Adrian, Jessie, Trent) I hate clowns.

24. Have boys vs. girl’s water balloon fight… probably won’t happen. But one can dream, right?

25. Have someone win me a giant stuffed animal. And again, one can dream, right?

26. Get a boyfriend… and I repeat, one can dream!

__x__x__
A/N: I hate most of this chapter. It needs to be here though because it's a transition.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

457K 22.7K 38
Skylar Davies has always been a proud member of the "Invisibles", you know, those people at school whom everyone seems to NOT know about? But when s...
1.7M 59.3K 40
He needs a scholarship. She's... well, she's just being nice. To him, she's just another nerd. To her, he's just a washed up jock. But when he finds...
621K 15.8K 40
Avery was not an average, well behaved 17-year-old girl living a happy life. She was an underground fighter, a street racer, and had even gotten mixe...
83.1K 3.1K 23
I quickly walked up to him, he was distracted by his phone. "Uh hey... I'm lost I was wondering if you cou--" before I knew it, he had me pinned agai...