Gods of Malcea ✔️

By -S-N-O-

In the land of gods and monsters, humans plagued Malcea with their wars. Their love for treasure, pleasure, a... More

M A P
P A R T: S U N
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
P A R T: F I R E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
P A R T: M O O N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y - T W O
T W E N T Y - T H R E E
T W E N T Y - F O U R
T W E N T Y - F I V E
T W E N T Y - S I X
T W E N T Y - S E V E N
P A R T: W A T E R
T W E N T Y - E I G H T
T W E N T Y - N I N E
T H I R T Y
T H I R T Y - O N E
T H I R T Y - T W O
T H I R T Y - T H R E E
T H I R T Y - F O U R
T H I R T Y - F I V E
T H I R T Y - S I X
T H I R T Y - S E V E N
P A R T: S T A R S
T H I R T Y - E I G H T
T H I R T Y - N I N E
F O R T Y
F O R T Y - O N E
F O R T Y - T W O
F O R T Y - T H R E E
F O R T Y - F O U R
F O R T Y - F I V E
F O R T Y - S I X
F O R T Y - S E V E N
F O R T Y - E I G H T
F O R T Y - N I N E
F I F T Y
F I F T Y - O N E
F I F T Y - T W O
E X T R A: 1
E X T R A: 2
E X T R A: 3
E X T R A: 4

T W E N T Y - O N E

5.7K 415 66
By -S-N-O-

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

-Xamdú

________________________________________

The snow covering the ground made Fariel think of the starry night sky. It was no different. When the snow shimmered in the sunlight it was as if little stars had fallen onto the earth. He bent down to pick up a handful of snow and watched it melt in his very hands. It left nothing but a sad smile on his face. The God of Miracles could not be found.

Fariel needed to send a prayer to her. Without her and her mercy and grace, he knew Karos would not survive the winter. Whether emotionally or physically, he knew if he continued on this path he will drown in a sea of blood of his own making. If he did not care for his own life, Fariel knew Karos would care for Analia's. He would not do anything to put her in danger. However, these days he saw how restless Karos was becoming.  Karos eyed the rope tying both him and Analia together, before walking on. Fariel knew Karos would catch on and become irate with him once more. He was not so dumb.

"I have to pee," Analia's voice pulled him out of his thoughts.

"You peed two hours ago. Why must you go again?" Karos asked with annoyance.

"I have to go. I have to go. I did not know you were counting. You should bide your time doing other things."

"It is hard not to, seeing as though I must squat when you squat. I must listen to you relieve yourself for the past day and a half!"

"It is quite hard being a woman. You see, we do not have the luxury to piss wherever we so please."

Karos simmered and Analia continued to tug him behind a tree. Fariel could only smile at their closeness and their little bickers. It took his mind off of the horrors ravaging the world, the death surrounding them, and all of his suffering.

"You should lift your leg. It is running down," Analia snickered.

"You are a foul woman."

"Then I should be your type, hm?"

Fariel watched as Karos tugged her back to the main road ignoring her completely.

"Or are you more into redheads, with eyes as blue as the very skies?"

"Must you be so annoying?"

"Ah, and here you presented yourself out to be a lover of women. Between you and Fariel, I cannot say who is more deceitful."

"When will you die? Answer me that. That will only ever be the sure way of getting rid of you. But like a roach, you always find a way to survive."

Fariel let out a big laugh then causing Karos and Analia's attention to be directed towards him.

"Forgive me, but your bickering has grown quite childish as of late. It amuses me so."

"I have half a mind to cut this rope and feed her to those things these days."

"And I promise you, you would be left with no fingers. Your head will barely be hanging onto your neck," she hissed.

"Look. Look. A gate nearby. We are not far!" Fariel pointed out.

He knew they were both tired and worn from all the walking and happenings they endured. The gwasas only seemed to multiply in number the further they went away from the city of Asalph. Wielding a sword with only one hand showed just how remarkable these humans were.

They would survive. Even if the moon turned red and stars fell onto the earth. They would survive, Fariel thought with a fervor. It will only get worse, the obstacles more challenging, he knew. Gwasas were one thing, but griffins were another.

One nearly ripped open Ake's very innards. He tore into his very flesh and cracked many of his ribs into pieces. His left arm was useless for some time, as well.

The griffins will tear them to shreds. Unlike, the gwasas, they were very quick thinkers, wise creatures. They did not look for weaknesses or defenses. They went after whoever they sought.

Before long, they reached the gates. There were many guards posted outside as well as refugees by the hundreds. Their clothes were in tatters, scratches, burns, and bruisings decorated each and every one of their faces. It caused Analia to halt for a moment, but Karos pushed through ignoring the touches and pleas for help and mercy from the humans.

His face was rigid and determined. He acts as though he has no compassion, but he very well did. Fariel knew, by the way, his fists would clench back and forth.

Once they reached the front of the gates, the guards crossed their spears over the door, forming an X.

"Let us inside."

"Orders from the king himself, we are not to allow any more refugees into the city. Many carry diseases and cannot work nor fight. We have little food as is. It is winter."

"I did not ask for your orders, let us inside." Karos walked closer to the head guard. "Look closely at my face. Do I not resemble your commander, your general, your leader?"

"D...Daae? Daae, my lord..." The guard went on to stutter causing Fariel to smile. He knew Karos hated to use his name and would abandon if all possible.

"Let us inside, and I will forget about your blanket ignorance. We have no time to quarrel amongst each other as of now."

"Yes! Yes, My Lord. What wise words!"

He gave a signal and opened the large wooden doors only a crack. Just as Fariel had made it inside they closed it in a hurry. The refugees could be heard banging on the doors crying out, wailing for salvation that may never come.

They would freeze to death or die from starvation. It would be one or the other. Humans and their sentiment towards one another could be awe-inspiring and disgusting all the same.

Karos never took a glance back. He made quick work of the rope binding him and Analia together and rushed towards the palace. Fariel tried to catch up to him, but he was pushing passed people, knocking some over even.

Despite what the guards were saying, the city looked very well off. There was no panic to be felt within in these walls. People strolled along the cobblestone pathways speaking of the latest wares and recent gossip as if they had not a care in the world. They were untouched, unfazed by the carnage taking place as they carried on with their lives.

Ignorance is bliss.

Men and women alike wore robes draped across their bodies with a piece of it hanging over one arm. The women had much brighter whites and hues of color compared to the men, but they wore rich colors of blues and reds. Their lavish garbs were just as gorgeous.

Fariel took a moment to look at his dirty, worn clothing and sighed. He had never once looked like this since being banished to the human realm.

Visnu was known for its richness, it's beauty and expense. There was no room for the poor. That is why the refugees stood outside.

Analia chased after Karos as he swept through the streets like a flood moving any obstacle out of his way. He knew Karos was angry, and upset but with who, he did not know. His father would not be cowed by him and his temper. Once again, he was not thinking things through.

Why he was like this, Fariel knew it could be for many reasons. However, he had an inkling of an idea that it was for Ake. Wanting to see him. Not telling him all of what Ake had said was doing much more harm than if he had told him. If he ever tried to go to Isla he would cause unspeakable hardships onto Ake.

He is the crowned prince. He cannot be associated with a human. It is unheard of, disgustingly so. He would ruin him.

Fariel let out a scoff of a smile at the thought. In the beginning, Fariel would have wished for nothing more, to bring him down to his level, disgraced and shunned. He would have had him dead.

Yet, now, he developed some semblance of care for him simply because Karos cared so much for him.

No, he is very much in love with him, Fariel thought with a sad, forlorn smile. How could love ever blossom from such hate? It baffled him.

He looked up towards the sky and wondered if it was Miracles doing. Mercy and Malice were playing such a cruel game. In the end, he knew there may be nothing bitterness and sadness. A scar that may never fully heal and just linger like time. Invisible to the eye, but yet its presence is there.

"He is heading towards the palace!" Analia shouted bringing Fariel out of his thoughts. He maneuvered passed some merchant shops and sellers. Soon, he had to push passed a group of women smelling of sweet honey and rosemary.

He rushed up some steps getting closer to Karos, but the alleyway streets were far too narrow for two grown men to fit through. Alcohol filled his nose next and soon the smell of food. He knew they were near a tavern or courtesan house.

Still, Karos did not stop until he was out of breath and out back on the cobblestone.

"Why the rush?" Analia asked gasping for air.

"Do you not sense it? The looming presence..." Karos asked with narrowed eyes.

His eyes had never looked so green to him them. They were filled with a light he thought Karos had lost a long time ago. He watched as he pressed his hand to his heart, where Ake's gem laid.

He was deeply infatuated, in love, Fariel noted with pursed lips.

"I do not know what it is... But I have this...aching feeling in my chest, right here. For days, it has not gone away. And I am ill at ease."

Fariel smiled then. It was the very emotion he feared of ever having.

"I feel as if something malicious is watching me, staring at me with watchful eyes wishing the worst upon me. It felt this way since I was small, but now, it is much more potent."

"...There are three sovereign gods we pay homage to The God of Malice, The God of Mercy, and The God of Miracles. Those are the Gods of Malcea. They are very real, very alive, and very vengeful beasts."

Karos' lips parted.

"I believe you are ensnared in a game of theirs...both you and Ake. We all are."

"The want to end our world and still play around with us like we are some child's toy to them?" Analia hissed. "They are no gods."

"And that is why you and your kind are being butchered by creatures who now have their affection that, once, was for you. Ironic, is it not?"

Karos stayed silent and kept his hand firm on his chest.

"The griffins will come. The phoenixes have risen. The gwasas are merely the beginning of your troubles. The rest will be your end."

The palace guards came into view. They were wearing the dark blues and yellows of the royal family. It stood out amongst the snow and deadened surroundings. With one look at Karos, the palace gates opened and their heads lowered.

Karos was the spitting image of his father, even with his disheveled appearance. Though, he would not like the be reminded. He held much contempt for his father. He loathed the man.

One step into the door and Fariel saw a black-haired man gazing at Karos with the same dark, green eyes. His eyes peeled away long enough for him to get a good look at Fariel and Analia before looking back at Karos.

"And so the infamous son has returned."

Fariel could feel the tension in the air. It was thick with malice and contempt.

Before long, his father broke out into a smile filled with laughter.

"Welcome! Welcome, my son and guests! Come, let us have you well-bathed and dressed. There is much to discuss."

Fariel gave Karos a hard pat on his back before squeezing his shoulder.

"Wait," Fariel whispered.

His father turned his back to them and continued on back deep inside the palace walls. Two palace guards came into view then and he had seen how well-armed they were. They very well knew of the chaos going on outside of these lavish walls.

"I will wait. I will wait for as long as it takes. In the meantime, go see the prince. Make sure he is well pleasured and distracted from what may come to pass."

Fariel's eyes fell before he nodded.

The beauty of the palace seemed to fade at the stench of death and war. Everything reeked of rotting flesh to him.

She was lingering around now. He could feel her very presence like the cold, chill of a winter's breeze. Malice was near.

Only Mercy would be able to stop what was going to happen. Mercy, the sovereign God to dragons, he would only listen to one person. But even he has his own game he would like to play.

If Ake ever goes to him, and Karos ever goes to her, their game would only grow crueler, more calculated.

"Fariel," Analia called out.

Fariel looked up and noticed Karos had gone and left the two of them to themselves.

"What is it? Your facial expression just now..."

"This will grow to be a terrible encounter. He can not be thinking of what I think he is," she whispered.

"Karos is overwrought with anger and bitterness. Who is to say he will not?" Fariel pursed his lips and sighed.

"Malice is already here lurking the halls as we speak."

"What?"

"What a beautiful devil she is. She caused the very God of Mercy to fall from grace. The sun had always shined throughout the day and night you know... Only a sliver of sunset would make it night. Now look as the sun falls every night beguiled by her charms."

"Fariel..."

"You are her children. It is only fitting she would come down."

"What does this have to do with Karos? He is no God. He is as human as I am."

Fariel let go of smile then.

"That is true."

"Then what is the reason? What is the true reason, Fariel? Tell me."

"The difference between Karos and you is quite simple... " Fariel looked at her and gazed into her wide eyes. He noticed then her eyes were as yellow as the moon on some nights. "You had not fallen for a dragon."

"I only said those things in humor. He did not- I did not know he... " She trailed off in thought. 

"Absence only makes the heart grow fonder... "

_______________________________________

[A/N]

Oh~ Well, things are building up quite quickly. I hope this chapter brought much more insight about the Gods and how they are tying into the story as well as their relationship they share with Ake and Karos. 

The Gods, believe it or not, are major characters in this story. Their roles, however, are much more subtle and a bit harder to see. 

Thanks for reading, as always! ^_^

♥♥♥~Tell me your feels~♥♥♥

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 256 15
Ari struggles with his identity amid the aftermath of chaos that befell humanity three hundred years ago. Trust eludes him, and isolation is his shie...
6.7K 391 54
Prince Drakell of the Draconic Kingdom, did not like the political life his position would one day bring him. He very much preferred the life of an a...
39 0 8
The gods have been punishing the different factions for centuries now, the reason as to why is lost in old books no one knows how to read. Languages...
20K 1.8K 53
The kingdom of Oscensi has a dark secret. Buried deep beneath their castle's chambers is a single prison cell. And within is a boy with destruction a...