Love Next Door

By alfieyourfan

Two lost souls who ran away from home. Two lost souls in search of themselves. Will they find their way back... More

Teaser 1 - First Clash
1 - Moving In and On
2 - Make You Hate Me
3 - Turn Off
4 - Ultim(h)ate
5 - GRAND Meeting
6 - RonRon
7 - Finding Comfort
8 - His Heroine
9 - Found
10 - 179 degrees
11 - FEast Day
12 - Not the Same
13 - Good Shots
14 - Last(ing) One
15 - Coming Back
16 - White Dress
17 - Area 2
18 - For Her
19 - Dinosaur Love
20 - Decisions
21 - King Archer's Lair
22 - Accept and Appreciate
Teaser 2 - Dealing with the Unexpected
23 - Refuge
24 - Number One
25 - I Need a Doctor
27 - You Can't Be So Sure
28 - Bestfriends
29 - My Crazy Valentine
30 - Bullseye
31 - What Lies Behind
32 - Project "Proposal"
33 - Twisted Fate
34 - One Day More
35 - Mr. & Mrs. Teng
Teaser 3 - Under One Roof
36 - New Home
37 - War and Peace?
38 - The Other Side
39 - Changes in the Night
40 - About Time
41 - Stubborn
42 - Mad Love
43 - From the Heart
44 - Quits
45 - Evergreen Promises
Bonus Chapter 1
Bonus Chapter 2
Bonus Chapter 3

26 - Breakaway

2.5K 116 36
By alfieyourfan

MIKA

The realization about my true feelings for Jeron hit me like a bullet.

But perhaps I didn't really need a doctor. I needed a break.

A time away from him.

A Jeron-less vacation.

Malay ko ba, baka nasanay lang ako na nandyan siya. Tapos kailangan ko lang ulit masanay na wala siya.

Buti na lang bakasyon na, at buti na lang, nagkaayos na kami ng pamilya ko.

I'm spending the holidays with them in one of the private beach homes in Nasugbu, Batangas. It's a beautiful place located in the exclusive gated subdivision of Tali Beach.

Nang makarating kami sa lugar, una kong napansin ang dalawang magkatabing villas, one of them we'll be occupying.

Bigla ko tuloy naisip ang tirahan ko sa Mapayapa.

And it led me to the thought of my neighbor.

Aiiisssshhhh, Mika.

Diba ang usapan hindi mo siya iisipin?

I took a deep breath and calmed my mind as my ears basked in the sound of the sea waves.

*****

"Anak, ok ka lang ba?", Bhaby asked her daughter when she saw her eyes closed.

"Yes Ma. May naisip lang.", Mika answered.

"Ipakilala mo naman sa amin yang naisip mo.", the mother said teasingly.

"Ma naman eh. Tao agad? Hindi ba pwedeng bagay? Lugar? Hayop? Pangyayari?"

Bhaby laughed at her daughter's response.

"Hindi mo naman sinabing gusto mo palang maglaro ng Pinoy Henyo, 'nak. Matangkad ba 'to? Chinito? Gwapo?", she joked.

"MAAA. Grabe kayo. Ayoko na ngang isipin eh. Pinapaalala niyo naman.", Mika absent-mindedly blurted out.

Her mother squealed in delight.

"Dalaga na pala talaga ulit ang anak ko! Sabi ko na nga ba eh.", she said with a victorious smile.

Napapikit na lang ulit si Mika at napahawak sa kanyang noo.

"What did I get myself into?", she thought.

Mika wondered how her mother was able to make the right guess, but then she remembered that Jeron is the only "new" person in her life whom they have met. She hasn't introduced him properly though, because of the attempt to keep her identity hidden during Nathan's birthday, only to find out that her parents knew of her secret all along.

"So ano na? Kailan mo siya ipapakilala sa amin ng Papa mo?", tanong ulit ng kanyang Mama.

"Hindi ko po alam, Ma. When the time is right, I guess. I promised to keep my mind free from him during this break. Saka kilala niyo naman na po yun eh."

"Hindi kaya. Kilala namin siya bilang photographer ni Nathan, oo. Pero bilang kaibigan mo, hindi. Teka nga muna. Bakit mo naman siya iniiwasang isipin? May problema ba kayo?", malambing na tanong ng ina sa anak.

"Wala po, Ma. Mabait po yun. Gusto ko lang... mag-focus sa inyo. Sa pasko. Ngayon ko lang ulit kayo makakasama eh.", Mika hugged her mother.

"Aysus, ang Potchi namin. O siya, sige na. Mag-ayos ka na ng gamit mo, para makapag-explore ka after dinner. I know you need your alone time. Maliwanag daw ang buwan mamaya. Masayang magtagu-taguan ng feelings."

"Hay naku, Ma. Yang vocabulary niyo eh, kakapanood niyo ng OTWOL."

"Ganun talaga. Basta anak ha, yung tinuro ko sayo. Kahit pa gaano kagwapo yan, kahit gaano kaganda ng abs nyan, kahit gaano pa kalamig at kadilim, wag kang bibigay."

"MAMA! NKKLK, ano bang mga sinasabi niyo?", Mika cringed at her mom's words.

"Naniniguro lang. You'll never know, diba.", Bhaby smiled knowingly.

*****

JERON

We used to spend the holidays at home in Tagaytay, but for some reason, Mom and Dad decided to celebrate Christmas Eve in Batangas this year. Yung New Year na lang daw ang sa bahay, since we'll be welcoming it with the rest of the clan, including Ama and Angkong.

I'm not complaining though. Change of environment na rin. And everyone seems to be really excited, especially my parents and Kylie. Si Kylie, gets ko. Sabik sa swimming yung bata. Pero sina Dad, I've never known them to be fond of the beach.

"Are we there yet?", my niece asked for the nth time.

"We're almost there, apo. Sleep ka muna.", Mom answered.

The kid just shook her head and turned to me.

"Uncle Ron, dapat ininvite niyo si Auntie Ye para mas masaya eh.", our little girl said all of a sudden.

"Baby, your auntie has a family, too. Of course gusto niya magkakasama sila sa Christmas. Just like us.", Achi Mira answered for me.

Kylie let out a huge sigh.

"Sayang naman. Miss ko na siya eh.", she said, pouting.

Me too, Ky. Me, too.

I miss her.

Kahit magkapitbahay kami, pakiramdam ko, ang tagal ko siyang di nakasama. After the night of the corporate event, both of us have been busy with our personal lives.

Mika spent most of her time making up for her missed lessons and tests when she got sick kaya subsob siya sa pag-aaral. Ayoko naman siyang istorbohin.

As for me, I was able to seal a deal with the Coronel couple and they volunteered to invest in our hotel business. Dad temporarily included me in the team who will handle the project kaya double time din ako with work.

It wouldn't have happened without Mika. I wanted to ask her out to celebrate the milestone, kaya lang hindi ko na nahanapan ng oras.

Before we knew it, it's already Christmas break and we had to leave the townhouse and part ways for a while.

*****

The Tengs reached their destination and little did Jeron know that his and Mika's parents conspired to spend the holiday break in one place, hoping that the two would meet again. The head of both families intentionally reserved the two villas that stood beside each other in front of the beach.

It's 6 PM and the Reyes'es just had their early dinner while the other family decided to take a rest from the travel.

Nagpaalam si Mika sa Mama niya para mamasyal sa dalampasigan.

"Lakad-lakad lang ako, Ma.", she informed her.

"Sige anak, ingat!", pagpayag ng kanyang ina.

She had no plan of taking a dip just yet, but Mika changed into her swimming tank top and shorts before leaving the house.

"Baka sakali lang.", sa isip-isip niya.

As soon as the lady left the house, Bhaby called the mother residing in the other villa.

"Hello balae, how's it going?", Susan answered her phone immediately.

"Lumabas ang dalaga ko, maglalakad-lakad daw. Kumusta byahe niyo?"

"Ayos naman. Nagpapahinga si Alvin at ang mga bata."

"Ma, sino po yan? Labas lang po ako sandali. Night swim.", Bhaby heard a man's voice and she didn't have to guess who it was.

"Wait lang, mare ah.", paalam ni Susan sa kausap.

"Kumare ko. Nangangamusta lang. O sige anak, go ahead.", she bid her youngest son goodbye.

When he left, Susan turned her attention back to the phone.

"Narinig mo yun, balae?", she happily asked the person on the other line.

"Rinig na rinig, balae!", Bhaby answered excitedly.

The two women chuckled in delight at how the things are going according to how they hoped it would.

Outside, Jeron was walking along the shore when he caught a glimpse of a familiar figure.

She was sitting still on the sand, body curled up in a ball. Her head was looking up, probably staring at the setting sun.

To ascertain his guess, Jeron decided to approach the lady, his heart beating more rapidly with every step.

He walked until their distance was only two feet long, then he took a deep breath before finding his voice.

"Mika?", he blurted out.

The moment didn't disappoint because when the lady turned around, Jeron caught sight of the face he's been longing to see.

"Jeron?! Don't tell me you're also staying in one of the villas here?!", she exclaimed.

"Yun lang. Mukhang hindi siya masayang makita ako.", Jeron thought.

"Ok, I won't tell you.", he answered with a playful smile.

"Seriously?! Hanggang pasko ba naman kapitbahay pa rin kita?!", Mika sighed heavily in frustration.

"I guess we're that meant to be.", Jeron shrugged.

*****

MIKA

Bakit ganun?

Kung sino pa yung iniiwasan mo, siya pa yung nilalapit sayo.

Ano, tadhana? Reverse psychology ba dapat?!

Isiksik ko kaya sarili ko sa lalaking 'to, baka sakaling lumayo.

I just found out that his family's currently staying in Margarita, the villa beside where my family is at the moment.

"Anong meant to be pinagsasabi mo? Ang liit kaya ng Pilipinas.", I retorted, trying to hide the tense I'm feeling.

"Sa bagay, tama ka."

Jeron sat down beside me and started to draw random things on the sand.

His skin came in contact with my arm and all of a sudden, I ran out of words to say.

Hinga, Mika. Wala ka sa ilalim ng dagat.

"Kumusta? Were you able to catch up with the things you've missed?", he asked.

I nodded my head in response.

"Ikaw, kumusta?", balik-tanong ko na lang.

"Me? Thankfully, I was given the chance to catch up with the one I've missed.", he said as his head turned to me.

My forehead creased at his reply.

"What do you mean? Nagkasakit ka rin ba?", I asked, looking at him.

"Nope. Meron lang talaga akong na-miss.", he answered as he kept his gaze.

Ayokong mag-assume pero bakit pakiramdam ko, ako yung tinutukoy niya?

I felt my heart race at the idea of him missing my presence, our conversations, and our random experiences together.

And to be honest...

I missed him, too.

Jusko, Mikaaa...

Eto na nga bang sinasabi sa hula eh.

Umayos ka.

Before anything else happens, I looked back at the sky which has turned orange now. The sun has already set.

Naramdaman kong tumayo ang katabi ko.

"H... hoy! A... a... anong ginagawa mo?", I stuttered when I saw him taking off his shirt.

"Naghuhubad.", he answered nonchalantly.

"What?! Stop that! Isa! Sisigaw ako, sige!", I threatened him as I covered my eyes with one hand.

He stopped removing the shirt midway his *gulp* abs *gulp*.

"Bakit? Ngayon ka lang ba nakakita ng taong mag-sswimming?", tanong niya.

"Wha... what?", I managed to say.

Jeron knelt in front of me, with one arm on top of his knee. He looked at me eye to eye.

"Yes, miss. Yun naman talaga yung plan before I saw you here. Why, what were you thinking?", he asked with a teasing smile.

"Wa... wala..."

I felt my cheeks heat up. Malamang mas mapula pa 'to sa kulay ng langit ngayon.

HUHUHU, nakakahiyaaa...

COME ON SEA, SWALLOW ME NOW

I was busy drowning myself in embarrassment when he suddenly spoke.

"Care to join me?", Jeron asked before he completely took off his shirt.

OH MY GULAAAYYY

WALA MAN LANG WARNING?!

Why do I feel more comfortable touching a dead man's body than what's in front of me now?

I immediately shook my head.

"Sige lang, sige lang.", sagot ko.

"Sige lang, sasamahan mo ako? Or sige lang, you'll stay here?", he clarified.

"Sige lang, maiiwan na lang ako dito."

"Ok."

Inabot niya sakin ang t-shirt niya.

Anong gagawin ko dito?

"Please hold it for me.", he said then he walked towards the waters, his back facing me.

Hindi ko alam kung anong pumasok sa isip ko at bigla kong inamoy yung t-shirt niya.

Ang bangooo....

"Hey! Gusto mo sayo na lang yan? Souvenir?", I heard him shout from afar.

Shoot!

I looked at Jeron and I so wanted to wipe that smirk off his face.

"Souvenir mo mukha mo! Marami akong shirts 'no! Saka amoy-pawis 'tong sayo!", I shouted back.

UGGGHHH

How many more times will I embarrass myself today? HUHUHU

Buti na lang nga nasa malayo ang damuhong yun.

I decided to focus my gaze on the sand and I caught a glimpse of Jeron's doodles.

He drew a camera, a house and a heart.

Ang random talaga ng lalaking yun.

Isinulat ko ang pangalan ko sa ibaba ng mga drawing niya.

I brought out my phone and took a photo of it.

Paglingon ko sa dagat, nagtaka ako dahil hindi ko nakita si Jeron.

Asan na yun?

"Jeron!!!", I shouted.

Bigla akong kinabahan nang walang umahon. Ni wala akong nakitang gumalaw.

Diyos ko po, wala naman po sanang masamang nangyari.

Tumayo ako at tumakbo malapit sa tubig.

"JEEERRROOONNN!!!", I shouted louder this time.

Still, no one showed up.

Lord, please...

Natataranta akong lumusong sa dagat.

"JERON!!! ANO BAAA! HINDI 'TO NAKAKATAWA!"

"ISA!"

"DALAWA!"

"ISA NA LANG TALAGA!"

I tried to search the waters but it was just too painful for my eyes.

Bakit ba kasi hindi ko dala yung goggles eh!

I started to cry in worry and frustration.

"Jeron!!! Lumabas ka na oh. Promise to grant you a wish, basta buhay ka lang!", I wailed.

Suddenly, I heard the sound of water movement from my back.

I turned around and was welcomed by the man I've been looking for.

"Ano, pwede na ba akong maging swimmer?", bungad niya.

"WALANG HIYA KA, PWEDE KA NANG MAGING SHOKOY!!! What the hell were you thinking?!", I exclaimed.

"I was practicing my breathing skills underwater. Trying to beat my record. Akala ko ba wala kang balak mag-swim?"

Ayus ka rin eh 'no.

"Wala nga. Aahon na nga eh.", nakasimangot kong sagot.

I was already near the shore when I felt his arms wrap around my body and carry me back to the water.

I slapped his shoulder when he let go.

"Loko ka ah! Ano ba talagang problema mo?"

"I thought that was a sweet thing to do? Diba nakakakilig yung ganung scene sa movies?"

"What? We're not in the movies, Mr. Teng. Sige na, uuwi na ako."

"Hep! Sabi mo you'll grant me a wish basta buhay ako? Here I am, alive and kicking!"

Narinig niya pa yun?

"Not counted. I thought you drowned.", I answered.

He didn't say a word for a moment. Nakatingin lang kami sa isa't isa nang bigla siyang magsalita ulit.

"Sige na, go ahead. Kailangan ko pa palang malunod bago mo tuparin yung sinabi mo? Ok lang. Sabi nga nila diba, promises are made to be broken."

ANG DRAMA NG LALAKING 'TO, NAKAKAINIS!

Sayang di ka na-cast sa MMFF. --___--

"Sige na, sige na nga! And promises are made to be fulfilled, ok?!"

A triumphant smile formed on his face.

"Ok!", he responded in glee.

"O, ano bang wish niyo, master?"

"Nakikita mo yung bangkang yun?", sabay turo niya sa may dalampasigan. "Samahan mo ako."

"What? Nababaliw ka na ba? Eh kung pagalitan tayo nung may-ari nyan?!"

Mga trip talaga ng chinitong 'to eh, hindi ko alam kung saang lupalop nanggagaling.

"The owner already allowed us to use it. And marunong naman akong mag-sagwan. May life vests din doon.", he explained.

"Did you plan this?"

Nakakapag-hinala na eh.

"Nope. I didn't even know you're here."

"Fine, tara na nga. Basta mabilis lang ah. Medyo madilim na."

"YEEESSS!!!", he shouted, throwing his fist in the air.

Hay naku talaga.

Jeron and I pulled the boat to the sea and true enough, he knew how to make it sail.

When we were a little far away from the shore, we decided to stay still and appreciate the mix of colors in the sky. On the other side, the moon was beginning to rise.

"Mika...", Jeron said softly.

"Hmmm?", my gaze remained above.

"Thank you..."

Napalingon ako sa kanya.

"Para saan naman?"

"For this. Sinamahan mo ako. And thank you rin sa pagsama mo sa akin sa business event noon. I forgot to tell you na I was able to close a deal with them."

"Really?! Congrats! I'm proud of you!", I couldn't help but say.

Totoo naman kasi yun.

Nakatingin lang siya sa akin.

Wala nang araw pero para akong malulusaw sa titig niya.

Slowly, Jeron moved his face closer to mine and I could feel him breathing heavily.

The sound of our heartbeats was able to overpower the crashing waves.

I felt the wind blow against us and Jeron rubbed my hands with his.

I chose to close my eyes and savor the moment.

Right there and then, I felt it.

His lips pressed on mine.

Our first real kiss.

No mistletoe above us, only the moon in its full glory.

My mama told me not to give in, but I didn't listen.

Drenched in twilight glow in the middle of the sea, I shared a kiss with Jeron Teng.

Author's Note:

The attached photo is one that I took from my Christmas break :) Hope you all had a merry and meaningful celebration!

This one's for @chat3rpillar, because promises are meant to be kept :)

Belated happy birthday to our ka-brad, Shine! Lavvv youuu!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

103K 4.5K 51
[The Palmer Brothers: TRES] -We weren't characters of Shakespeare but why did we become Romeo and Juliet?
12.2K 1.7K 45
true love is just around the bend but lovers find it hard to get one...
41.3K 2K 32
"Stories may well be lies, but they are good lies that say true things, and which can sometimes pay the rent."
123K 3.1K 53
"Here, Under the Stars... What if our paths crossed again?" Four years after her heart got broken, successful music producer and CEO, Magui Feola, we...