Inside You (Mortal Instrument...

By Bookworm-X-

Something is wrong. There is trouble in paradise. Plagued by terrible nightmares and with his emotions all ov... More

Inside You: Prologue
Chapter 1-Do Not Touch
Chapter 2-Hidden Pain
Chapter 3-So It Begins
Chapter 4-A Surprise Aquaintance
Chapter 5-Date Night
Chapter 6-The (Almost) Perfect Evening
Chapter 7-A Heady Passion
Chapter 8-Nightmare Rift
Chapter 10-Birthday Distraction
Chapter 11-Confusion and Clues
Chapter 12-A Barrier Against You
Chapter 13-Out Of Control
Chapter 14-True Or False
Chapter 15-Blank Memories
Chapter 16-Blind Fury
Chapter 17-Words Unspoken and Unheard
Chapter 18-Suffering In Silence
Chapter 19-Decipher
Chapter 20-A Sister's Guilt
Chapter 21-Truth Revealed
Chapter 22-An Understanding
Chapter 23-The Last Resort
Chapter 24-Divide and Conquer
Chapter 25-Sacrifice
Chapter 26-Death's Embrace
A/N-Author's Note
Inside You: Epilogue

Chapter 9-Suspicious Behaviour

5.4K 130 32
By Bookworm-X-

Okayy so I feel bad. Like really really bad! Here I am not having uploaded in aaaages (although in my defense I have had exams for the past month!) and I only have this tiny chapter to offer you and it's kinda a filler-although it was a good opportunity to have some group interaction. Also I am leaving little clues and hints through out the chpaters as to what is/will be happening so keep you eyes open :P It's from here on out that things really start to happen :D the time for fluff (well Malec fluff at least) is over-let the angst ensue :P So yeah please VOMMENT and I hope you like this chapter! They next one should be up a lot quicker this time :D

MASSIVE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN COMMENTING AND ENCOURAGING ME TO UPLOAD!!!

Alec did his best to shake off his feelings of guilt as he travelled back to the Institute.

His refusal to tell the warlock had nothing to do with him trusting Magnus and everything to do with the shame he felt boiling and writhing inside of him every time he thought about the nightmares.

The violent dreams indicated something wrong with him. Something sick and twisted in his brain.

It is probably just brought about by stress, Alec told himself. But that didn’t make it any easier to think about.

Forcibly moving away from that train of thought he pushed open the doors of the Institute and revelled in just being home.

“Hey Church,” he murmured, smiling gently as he scratched the cat behind the ears. After a few moments however Church swiped at Alec’s hand and set of down the corridor without waiting for Alec to follow him. Typical.

Alec shook his head but figured he’d better follow the temperamental cat anyway. He hurried after Church and quickly found himself led to the living room which was not empty like he had been expecting it to be, considering the early hour.

Isabelle, Jace, Clary and even Simon were all there. Simon seemed to be trying to calm Isabelle down as she paced anxiously back a forth in front of one of the large sofas but a deathly glare from her had him quickly backing off.

Jace, looking carefree as usual, was lounging on the other sofa with a worried looking Clary snuggled tightly next to him.

Sensing the tense tone immediately Alec asked, “What’s going on?”

All of their heads snapped round to look at him in surprise.

Storming over Isabelle smacked him hard on the shoulder before pulling him close to her before he could complain. “That’s what you get for not answering your damn phone!”

Pulling back Alec searched through the contents of his bag, finally finding the phone he was sure hadn’t gone off all evening-though he hadn’t actually checked. The screen was black and it was dead.

“Sorry, I didn’t realise it had died.”

Isabelle rolled her eyes and strode away muttering something that sounded like typical under her breath.

“What’s going on?” Alec repeated still sensing that he’s missed something as he looked from his sister to Jace, still looking relaxed on the couch. He smirked up at him.

“Izzy has been getting her whip in a twist because she couldn’t contact you last night.”

“I went back to Magnus’ apartment,”

Jace raised an eyebrow, his smirk widening.

“What?” Alec asked defensively.

“Nothing,” Jace said, slinging an arm round Clary who rolled her eyes and spoke:

“Something really weird has been going on Alec.”

“What do you mean? What happened?”

Isabelle sank down onto the sofa next to Simon who was perched on the end looking awkward as usual. She sighed.

“Demons,” she said.

“Isn’t it always?” Jace replied.

“Stop interrupting,” Clary scolded gently, “You’re just mad Izzy stopped you from going out and fighting them yesterday.” Jace feigned innocence only causing Clary to roll her eyes.

“You went and fought demons? Are you ok?” His eyes darted from Izzy to Jace and even Clary.

“Oh yeah I’m fine, just peachy. But Alec, I didn’t know you cared.” Simon said dramatically, clutching his hand to his chest.

Izzy shot him another withering gaze and he promptly shut up.

“There was a group of them-at least twenty-outside the Institute last night. But the thing is: they didn’t try to attack. Not a single one. They were just standing there. It was like they were waiting for something-some sort of command. Then Clary spotted something else.”

Isabelle motioned for Clary to continue the account.

“There was this guy standing in the shadows a few metres behind him. We couldn’t see his face because he had a hood up but he didn’t seem to be afraid or anything. He just stood there for a few minutes and then left. A few minutes later the demons did too.”

What could that mean?

“Does that mean he was controlling them?” Simon chipped in. “Were they under some sort of spell?”

Alec pondered that for a moment. “No spell I’ve ever heard of is powerful enough to control that many demons. If it was surely someone would have tried it before.”

Jace finally appeared interested again.

“Yes but you don’t know every spell do you. However as it happens your boyfriend is the High Warlock of Brooklyn and is likely to know many many more spells. So I suggest you give him a call and see if he’s heard of anything like this before.”

Why was he always most interested when the topic could be turned to Alec’s boyfriend?

Swallowing hard Alec replied quickly. “Oh. Yeah I’ll…I’ll text him. He’s probably busy blow-drying his hair or something at the moment and I doubt he’ll hear his phone ringing.”

Alec cringed internally at the pathetic attempt to avoid calling the warlock, afraid that he would ignore him or, if he did pick up, would be angry at Alec’s strange and dismissive behaviour earlier that morning.

“So someone is controlling groups of demons. By why? If they’re not planning to attack us what are they planning to do?” Clary asked.

“If we knew that I doubt we’d be finding this such an issue.” Jace said.

“Ok so we don’t know why; is there any way to work out who? With Valentine gone who’s the next big baddie? Surely there’s, like, a hierarchy or something?”

“I don’t think it works quite like that Simon,” said Clary, smiling slightly but her eyes were still tight with worry.

“So basically we have nothing?” Simon continued.

“That’s really encouraging, thanks.” Isabelle snapped.

“I’m just stating the facts.”

Tired of the bickering Alec interjected:

“Well what do we do now?” he asked.

“I’m thinking Chinese, maybe Thai?” Jace suggested.

“Ok one: it’s nine in the morning and two: why are you always thinking about food?”

“I can eat take away at any time, it’s one of my huge array of talents, and food, after myself, is my greatest love.” Clary elbowed him in the ribs-hard. “Did I say myself? I meant Clary of course.” He smiled wryly as he leant down to kiss the red head gently on the lips.

“And that’s my appetite gone.” Simon groaned but both Clary and Jace ignored him.

Alec couldn’t stop the feeling of wistfulness wash through him at their tender embrace. He missed Magnus already and he couldn’t stop feeling guilty for the way he had practically ran out on him earlier. He deserved more than that and once this was over he would tell Magnus everything.

“Back to the topic in hand,” Isabelle said, “I don’t think there is anything we can do at the moment. The only things we have to go on are the break-ins and as there have only been two so far it doesn’t really give us much. For now we just have to keep fighting demons when the turn up and see if anymore weird stuff happens.”

“After everything that’s happened you’re calling a slightly-bigger-than-usual group of demons ‘weird’?” Simon asked.

“Trust me whatever is going on I have a feeling it’s bad news.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 62 4
Alec got home into the loft and was shocked when he saw that everything was destroyed but the most shocking thing was that everywhere was blood and M...
12.7K 353 19
It started as a hookup, and now his relationship with the High Warlock of Brooklyn, Magnus Bane, is something Alec's scared of losing. With his famil...
1K 60 3
A bittersweet story about love and lost, family and infinite friendship. Alec Lightwood-Bane, 27, married, suffers from PTSD. Raphael Santiago, 28, l...
38.7K 2K 49
Finished After the divorce from her husband Alec Lightwood's mother wants to start a brand new life and move from New York into a small village in th...