Saving Grace

By jwriters

Cali Olsen was on a mission to drive across the country. But her broken down car left her stranded until a st... More

We Both Have
Not At All
Going Insane
Full of Smiles
My Biggest Regret
I Hate You
The First Thing I Knew
There You Go
That Was Awkward
Number Four
The Great Reunion
His Name Is Jay
I Need You
Please. Just Please.
That Wasn't Right
A Talk With Him
I Don't Know What To Do
If Only I Could
When I Have To
I Would Need A Drinking Buddy
Don't Do This, That and Etc.
Don't You Worry
You Were The Thing That Went Right
Now It's My Turn
I Can't Be Weak Again
It Was You
I'm Not Even
Yeah, How About No?
I Don't Know How To
I'm So Sorry
A Whole New Person
This Is It

Our Picture Perfect Future

250 10 0
By jwriters

Chapter Twenty Five

Cali - September - Three Weeks Later

"Sounds beautiful, babe," Jay said with a giddy smile as he walked down the hallway towards me. I had been up here all morning, goofing off on the guitar while he was out in the fields.

As he walked towards me, those familiar butterflies filled my stomach. Whenever Jay was near me, they would suddenly be on high alert and start flying everywhere. So many times I thought they had finally mellowed and wouldn't show up every time he did, but that never happened. Not that I minded though.

He took a seat on the hay next to me and listened. "Well, I can't play with you sitting there," I said as his eyes met mine. The way the sunlight shone through the small window above us, reflected off his eyes, making them sparkle. I loved his eyes and could stare at them forever. They were filled with happiness and love.

A playful smile spread across his lips. "You mean you can't concentrate when I'm sitting here all hot like," he said, motioning to his body. I couldn't hide the effect his comments have on me. The blush crept up my face and I bit my bottom lip out of force of habit. I rolled my eyes but secretly loved his cockiness.

Hell, I loved everything about this guy.

"Um, no. Not when you're all sweaty and gross," I replied standing up and putting the guitar back in its place. I love that guitar. It's so old yet beautiful. I love that it has Jay's name on it and that it holds special memories for him. It makes it so sentimental.

I tried to walk past him, but his muscular arm wrapped around my waist pulling me to him. "Would you like to repeat that?" He asked pressing his nose and mouth against the side of my head. I could feel his hot breath against my neck and that sent shivers and tingles down my entire body. How did I ever get so lucky?

"Nope," I said, turning in his arms to look at him. He looked surprised that I didn't fight back, but I took his weak moment as a chance to run. I sprinted out of his arms and down the ladder. I got outside the barn and saw Preston sitting on the back of his truck drinking water. They must have come back for a break. I didn't blame then. It was over one hundred degrees and they were outside all the time. I would die.

"Hey you."

"Hey," I replied, jumping up on the truck next to him. I could hear Jay coming so I hid behind Preston.

"You know where she went?" He asked.

"Into the house," Preston said. He sounded very convincing. I had to hold back laughter.

"Thanks. I gotta pee and then I'll be back," Jay said heading up towards the house. Once he was inside, I relaxed and sat up in a normal position.

"Thank you," I said with a giggle.

"Any time. But I must say, I think I liked you both better when you weren't all lovey dovey," he said nudging my shoulder. Him being so strong nearly threw me off the truck.

"I'm still the same girl. Don't you worry," I said smiling at him. He was about to respond when my phone rang. Damnit.

"That woman can not take a hint," Preston said quietly. I silently agreed by not saying anything. Anything having to do with her made me angry. I decided to change the topic before I started going off about her to poor Preston.

"Do you know when Jay is supposed to be leaving?" I asked nervously. Jay always told me he didn't know, but I think he did. I knew he was only here for a punishment, but he made it sound like he wanted to stay. And honestly, if he wasn't here, I don't think I would stay either. I wouldn't move in with him or anything like that, but I would probably finally go to Stanford or something. Maybe actually make something of my life instead of living in fairy tale world here on the farm. Not that I had a problem with fairy tale world.

"No, but grandpa said mom called the other day asking about him. He said he told her he didn't know when he would come home," Preston finally answered.

I nodded, but remained quiet. That is until Jay came sprinting towards us. Before I had time to move, he got to the truck and put his hands on either side of me so I was blocked. Preston started laughing and hopped off. "You're screwed now."

I looked up and Jay was smirking at me. "I'm going now. I need a kiss goodbye," he said in his most dramatic voice.

"I swear, you're such a drama queen," I said as I rolled my eyes. He only moved closer so I gave in and gave him a kiss. He pulled away and let me go. I walked around the side with him just as he smacked my butt. I spun around and glared at him while he just winked.

"Perv," I said as I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Love you too," he replied with a hurt looking smile on his face.

"Bye Cals," Preston said as he got in and started the truck. I waved bye as they drove off towards some distant fence that needed mending. I waited until they were long gone before walking back into the barn. I sat down on one of the stools and leaned against the barn wall, opposite the horses stalls.

Do you ever just sit back and realize how much has changed in such a short time?

That's what just happened to me. Preston finally admitted he had a girlfriend who lives in town and said we would meet her soon. Dale also surprised us and said that when he retired he was putting the farm in Jay and Preston's name. They would be the new co-owners when Dale passed away. And over the past three weeks, me and Jay have started a relationship and are getting even closer every day.

We spend almost all our time together either going swimming, cooking, hanging with Preston, riding horses, playing guitar, and talking on the roof. He really is my true love. Never in my life would I ever expect my life to include the fairy tale ending where the princess gets the prince. Because I didn't deserve it. Bnd that's what happened here. Right before my eyes.

But the one thing we haven't talked about is what comes next. We aren't those crazy people who fall in love with each other and suddenly can't live without one another. Yet. I mean, I'm not even twenty yet. I think I need to live my life. And I would love to have Jay right there next to me. But he needs to live his life too.

Right...?

But eventually, I don't think I could live without Jay. Lately, I've been up on the roof while he's away in the fields, imagining what life could be like if I spent the rest of mine out here. Little kids running up the hill from the lake with Jay as I was in the kitchen cooking food and then we would all meet on the porch where it would be picture perfect.

I know it's crazy and I would never tell Jay about it, but those have been my thoughts. And surprisingly, I'm not as scared as hell at them.

I finally pulled myself from my happy thoughts and decided to clean out the horses stalls. I had nothing better to do and I was bored. I ran upstairs to get my Ipod and docking station in my room. I noticed Jay's clothes neatly folded on the chair in the corner of the room. I couldn't help but smile when I looked at them.

Over the past few weeks, Jay has been sleeping over here. We haven't done it yet, but I love falling asleep in his arms. One time, he said he tried to be romantic by climbing in my window. He said the movies made it look easy, but he couldn't do it and eventually gave up, taking the boring way up the ladder and knocking on my door. He was best.

I left my room and cranked up my music while I cleaned out the stalls. I still made sure to check over my shoulder once in a while to make sure he wasn't there. Just like with the shower incidents, I learned that Jay was sneaky and to make sure he was not in sight before dancing or turning your back.

I finished the first four stalls and got to Jay's stall. I finally gave in and allowed Jay to start calling him that. I was still trying to come up with a better name, but until then, Jay would do. It did fit the horse perfectly.

I looked at the name sign that hung on the stall door. Jay had bought those about two weeks ago and they were beautiful. One was blue and had an engraved pattern with the name Jay painted in the center. The other was pink with the same pattern and the name Rhode Island Grace in the center. I loved them and always admired them when I got the chance.

Jay was out in the pasture with the other horses, but Grace was still healing so we were told not to over work her. One trip out to the field was enough for one day, the vet said.

We shortened her name to just Grace because it was faster, but her full name was still my favorite. I was surprised when I had given it to her. I mean, Rhode Island was okay because it just where I came from. And Grace was a name I associated with my past. But I liked the ring the name had and decided to try and get used to hearing my first name again. No one really understood, but it was hard to explain and no one made me.

I petted Grace, gave her a treat and moved on to the other stalls. An upbeat song had just ended and "Thousand Years" by Christina Perry began echoing through the barn.

As if on cue, Jay emerged from outside of the barn looking incredibly sexy in a pair of dark jeans and no shirt. I had to mentally slap myself to stop myself from staring. It was so hard though.

"How do you always know when the good songs come on?" I asked as he walked towards me.

"I don't know. Instinct I guess?" I rolled my eyes as he came to stand right in front of me. I could tell he was hesitant and didn't want to upset me. Just another thing I love about him.

"If it's okay with you, I would love to have this dance," he said holding his hand out.

I took a deep breath and looked up towards the sky. The last time I had danced, it was with the one I loved. So how does it get any better to make my first time dancing again with the one I love? I said a quick message to Dom before slowly placing my hand in Jay's. He put his other hand around my waist and I rested my left hand on his shoulder. He pulled me close and I leaned my head on his chest. He bent over and started singing in my ear.

Time stands still

Beauty in all she is

I will be brave

I will not let anything take away

What's standing in front of me

Every breath, Every hour has come to this

I could feel the tears about to fall down my face. I really need to get a camera because I would forget these moments one day when I'm really old and it will drive me insane. At least I had a mental picture of our first dance.

We stayed glued together for the rest of the song as Jay tried to sing all the words he knew but he really only knew the chorus. But it was fine by me. His singing voice was perfect.

The song ended and I became incredibly sad. I was suddenly beginning to hate the person love turned me into. But that was who I used to be before my life went high wire. I didn't use to be the girl who had no emotions and was tough as steel. I used to be happy and love life. That person was slowly, but surely coming back.

Jay slowly pulled away and looked down at me.

"How was that?" I knew he was asking to make sure I didn't have a melt down right here.

"It was perfect," I said with a big smile on my face. Jay's face matched mine as he gave me a quick peck on the lips. We were walking towards the exit when Preston walked by.

"You know where grandpa is?"

"He went into town for some groceries," I said. Preston nodded and continued up towards the house. I turned back to Jay but was interrupted when we heard a car engine. Dale must be back.

We both turned to see a BMW pull up and turn off. It was really expensive looking.

"Wow. Someone's got money."

I was about to speak when my heart stopped. My eyes opened wide and I thought I was going to die. It felt like all the air was sucked out of my lungs and I had to lean on Jay for support.

"Oh. Shit." I said, not bothering to hide the fear in my voice.

"Cali? What's wrong? What is it?" He sounded panicked. Good.

I couldn't move. I was frozen. I saw the door swing open.

"My worst nightmare."

____________________

What? What could it be? Heeheehee 

Of course I know what it is :)

Anyways, please please please please tell me what you think. Or don't tell me what you think and just tell me anything.

Love y'all's -J

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

449K 10.5K 36
**WATTPAD HQ EDITOR'S PICK Nov/Dec 2021** BOOK ONE in the STEAMY FORBIDDEN ROMANCE series Coralie Watson, a British thirty-year-old living in San Fr...
37.8K 1.7K 11
⚠️ PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION ⚠️ (THIS BOOK IS THE MATURE VERSION. IF YOU WISH FOR A MORE WHOLESOME VERSION PLEASE LOOK FOR VERSION I ON MY PROFILE.) Yo...
1.6K 48 28
Amy Martins is your average 15-year-old girl: she spends way too much time messing around with her best friends instead of studying and she thinks sh...
214K 1.7K 35
18+ Only Rated R (If you're underage like myself and you want to read this then go for it but just warning you it's STRONG sexual shit in this book...