Gray Wolf Ranch

By moudenes

The Marshall brothers, four country boys with a passion for hospitality, have finally achieved their dream of... More

Chapter 1 - Golf Cart
Chapter 2 - Checking In
Chapter 3 - Tribe Names
Chapter 4 - Dog Walk
Chapter 5 - Clean Slate
Chapter 6 - Farm Help
Chapter 7 - Campsite Permits
Chapter 8 - Entertainment Team
Chapter 9 - Out There
Chapter 10 - Not a Good Day
Chapter 11 - Not a Child
Chapter 12 - Nightmares
Chapter 13 - Unwelcome Guest
Chapter 14 - Truths
Chapter 15 - Appointments
Chapter 16 - Worries
Chapter 17 - Relief
Chapter 18 - Disappointment
Chapter 19 - Realization
Chapter 20 - Distraction
Chapter 21 - Hair
Chapter 23 - Dreams
Chapter 24 - Trail Ride
Chapter 25 - An Adventure
Chapter 26 - Secrets and Truths
Chapter 27 - Finding Out
Chapter 28 - Back to Life
Chapter 29 - News
Chapter 30 - Country Boy
Chapter 31 - Wolf
Chapter 32 - We Meet Again
Chapter 33 - Phone
Chapter 34 - Camping
Chapter 35 - Memories
Chapter 36 - Together Again
Chapter 37 - Mingan
Chapter 38 - Moving Out
Chapter 39 - Josh
Chapter 40 - Michelle
Chapter 41 - A Letter
Chapter 42 - Picnic
Chapter 43 - The Opening
Chapter 44 - A Night to Remember
Chapter 45 - Anahu

Chapter 22 - Loss

2.8K 177 16
By moudenes

ROWTAG

Joy... Relief... Hope... The surgery went well according to Kitchi's doctor. We got a chance to see him right before he entered the operation room. He looked so vulnerable while sleeping under the anesthesia that I had to hide my fear of the outcome.

We followed his wishes and instead of waiting, we went to have lunch. Karen gave us grief for leaving, but we ignored her rant and went ahead. It was clear how worried we all were as we barely touched our meals.

When we returned to the hospital, the doctor received us with the good news and Karen cried her eyes out on Dad's shirt. Now it's a matter of Kit recovering and following his therapy.

Last night I slept at a hotel nearby, the best sleep I've had in a while, and when I came here this morning, the nurses told me he had a good night. He's still sleeping and his nurse reassured me that it is normal after this kind of procedure.

"Good morning, Rowtag."

I look to my right while finishing a cup of coffee and see Olivia walking towards me. Her presence brings me so much joy and peace.

"What a surprise!" I hug her. "What are you doing here? You are free today."

"I wanted to hear how it all went since I won't be at the ranch. Seems everything went well since you are smiling."

"It all went without a hitch and he's recovering well according to the nurses. They are moving him right now from intensive care to a regular room."

"That's indeed a good sign."

"And where's Seth?"

"With a sitter for a few hours. Hospitals are no place for children."

"I just realized that visitor's hours have not started yet. How come they've let you in?"

"The perks of having worked here. I still have many friends, including the security guards. When things went wrongly in my marriage, my colleagues were a great support and kept an eye out for me. My ex-husband didn't take it kindly when he came home one night after going out drinking, and I had the locks changed. He came here twice to confront me about it and didn't make it past the front door," she smiles at the memory.

"But now I assume you have a better relationship. You know, since he shares Seth's custody."

"Rowtag, he hasn't seen Seth in over a year. I don't give a damn about him, but it's hard to explain to my son why his father hasn't tried to contact him."

"It's a pity. Seth is a great boy, and his father is missing out on a lot."

"It's his loss," she shrugs. "I want to thank you once more for taking us out. It's always him and me, and I'm not great at man talk. Seth wouldn't stop talking about you the next day even though I was there. You made quite an impression."

"I enjoyed it plenty too. It is quite ironic, all I've ever wanted in life was to have a family, work hard for them and live a peaceful life. Your ex could have had all of that with you."

"The company of other women and a few bottles of alcohol was more important than us," Olivia shakes her head. "What pisses me the most is that he would bring women around when I had evening shifts. He was supposed to be taking care of Seth and not rolling around on our bed."

"I couldn't do something so disrespectful to anyone. Olivia, this is probably not the right place or moment, but I would like to take you and Seth out on another family date soon."

"With Seth? Do you really like him?"

"Of course, I do. He's your life, and I care about him as much as I care about you."

I cup Olivia's face and kiss her on the lips this time. When I break the kiss, we smile at each other.

"Gosh, I never thought that I would kiss a man for the first time in a hospital hallway," Olivia blushes. "I only hope that your brothers don't mind if we go out, I'm an employee after all."

"My brothers already know we went out and couldn't be happier. Huritt kept pushing me to ask you out and I wanted it but didn't have the courage."

"What made you change your mind?"

"The day you gave me a health check, and I told you my worries. My grandmother always told me that a worry shared is a worry halved, and until that day I never understood what she meant. I felt suddenly stronger, not even Karen's verbal abuse affected me. If I could handle that, then asking you out was a lot easier."

"I'm happy to hear that. How is... Karen dealing with the whole situation?"

"Destroying anyone who crosses her path; she forbade Huritt to call her Mom, slapped Istu and my father is having trouble controlling her."

"That is... I'm lost for words. Did you tell your brothers about how you are related?" Olivia asks almost in a whisper.

"No, but I will when we get our old lives back. I'm only not sure how Huritt will react."

"Mr. Marshall, you can come right this way. Hey, Olivia!" Kitchi's nurse greets Olivia with a kiss on her cheek and leads us to his new room.

As we enter, we find Kitchi sleeping peacefully and I see the ugly stitched wound on his head. I make a picture with my phone and send it to my brothers. Kit moves his hand to his belly at the sound.

Olivia takes a closer look. "The stitches are well done; he will end up with just a thin scar line. Once his hair grows back, you won't even see it."

"Are you sure? It looks gross," I say, making her laugh.

"I have seen enough wounds in my life. This looks fine."

Kit groans and we watch his every move, he then squints and looks around.

"Hey Kit, how are you feeling?" I move closer to him.

"Ro... Am dead?" He asks in a slurry voice.

"No, you are not dead. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here. I can't believe he is talking!" I whisper to Olivia.

"Maybe you dead an' don' know," he moves his hand in front of his face in a slow motion, and then grabs the oxygen line in his nose. "Was dis shit?"

"Leave that, it's an oxygen line," I hold his hand and move it under the bed sheet. "Olivia is here and she can reassure you that we are both alive."

Kit looks around and smiles goofily at Olivia.

"Da's an angel."

Olivia grins at the cheeky comment.

"Are you flirting with my woman?" I tease and he chuckles.

"Don' feel mah face," he tries to touch his head.

"Keep your hands away from your wound. Is the way he's behaving normal?" I ask Olivia while moving his hands away again.

"Yeah. He's still drugged, and will do and say silly stuff," she smiles.

My brother falls asleep again, and it makes me happy that he can talk, recognize people and move. I write a quick message to Istu and Huritt and immediately receive a message back from Istu with a happy emoji. Olivia and I head outside again to let Kit rest and I feel so glad she's here with me. I see Dad and Karen walk towards us and she already sports her usual disgusted face at my sight.

"Any news?" Dad looks hopeful. "The receptionist told us he's in a room here."

"Karen, stop looking at Olivia like that," I say after noticing the nasty look she just gave her. "I get that I'm not your blood, and you find me an inconvenience, but she is a health professional and the one who assisted Kitchi when he fell ill at the ranch. In any case, you should give her your thanks."

Olivia's presence gives me the strength to say what I think. Dad pales at my words. He knows that I know they are not my parents, but we never mention it.

"Kit is doing better than expected, you can see him," I point to the direction of the room.

Karen avoids my gaze, mumbles a thanks to Olivia and heads to Kitchi's room.

"Rowtag, you will always be my son," Dad holds my arm. "It doesn't matter what she says or does. Is that clear?"

I nod and Dad heads to the room too, leaving us alone in the hallway. I let out a shaky breath, and Olivia holds me in her arms while a few tears of relief escape me.

"Your father loves you and that's all that matters. Like my ex with Seth, it is her loss," Olivia makes me look at her. "You have many more people who love you and care about you."

Olivia hugs me for a long time and now that I've said what's in my head to Karen's face, I feel free.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.6K 2.7K 15
This is the second book in the Veronica Marshall Series. The dark path is weighing down on Veronica Marshall as she continues her quest to seek reve...
7.5K 882 38
Oliver Brown holds the gift of seeing spirits. After losing his grandmother, he neglected the purpose of his ability, and soon after, lived a ghostle...
21.6K 2.2K 13
The third book in the series of Veronica Marshall. Veronica is now married to an adoring husband and together they have two children. She is slippin...
27.4K 1.8K 62
Ulric Wolcott, know as Little Wolf by his friends and family, has no boundary between man and wolf. His Native American heritage from his mother gave...