Love, Arranged by mother natu...

By DrGauriMittal

#Winner The Golden Bird Awards Amrita is a dynamic woman, but with a lot of short comings. She is picky, guar... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31- Last

Part 8

11.6K 534 5
By DrGauriMittal

Dammit!" Arjun exclaimed as he tried starting the car. "What's the matter Arjun?" asked Mohit.

"I think the engine is frozen. The car won't start," Arjun replied still trying to make it work.

Amrita looked at Arjun with worry etched in her features. Arjun reassured her saying they would find a way to get out of there and not to worry.

Mr Patel intervened suggesting them to arrange a taxi to get out of Krishi. It was decided that since it was still a few hours before it got dark, Mr Patel and Mohit would go to the post office on a spare two-wheeler so that Mohit could make a phone call to the hotel to fetch them all a taxi. By that time Arjun and Amrita would go up the hill by foot, Arjun to inspect the property and Amrita to visit the bakery. And thus, they all would save time.

The four of them split up. Mr Patel and Mohit rode off into the sunset, while Arjun and Amrita started their trek up the snowy mountain road.

After about a kilometre or so, they reached the top of Krishi hill. The view was breath-taking. They stood beside each other admiring the snow-covered mountains in the distance at peace with the earth, just like their hearts, at peace in that stilled moment. Arjun turned slightly to look at Amrita, whose nose had turned red. He pulled her black, woollen cap lower with his frozen fingers to properly cover her ears. Amrita was taken aback by his sudden gesture and turned pink.

Arjun looked at her shyly and uttered quickly, "You look pretty."

"What did you say?" Amrita asked him. She could not believe, seemingly arrogant Arjun who had as of yet only smirked at her, was actually looking shy! It was an endearing sight and she suspected also a very rare one.

Arjun turned his back and said, "Umm... nothing. We should find out which of these shops is the bakery, c'mon." He dragged Amrita pulling her jacket covered arm like it was a suitcase with wheels. Amrita felt secretly thrilled seeing this shy and awkward side of Arjun. It was kind of attractive she thought.

A little shop with a small banner with faded words read Choco Bakery. Amrita opened the door, entering the shop with Arjun, causing a delicate tinkling of bells to sound. The sound was heard by a little old lady bent by a tiny fireside trying unsuccessfully to start a fire, causing her to turn towards rarely expected customers.

As she turned around, she put on her glasses and peered towards the door. "Yehes?" She croaked out, then burst into a hacking cough. Amrita and Arjun looked at each other, talking with their eyes. The lady looked ready to fall down stiff by the cold. The shop was freezing. Arjun rushed towards the lady helping her settle on the small couch. Her little body slumped on the couch with her face hanging down, her body racked with cough.

Amrita came over to her side and with her knees on the floor at level with the old lady, she put a hand on the lady's shoulder and said, "Are you okay, can I get you some water?"

After a minute of resting on the couch, the lady looked up at Amrita's face and asked in a barely audible voice, "Who are you child?"

"My name is Amrita and this is Arjun. We are here to meet you. You came to my bakery shop in Doon a year ago and brought the best chocolate pastry I have ever had," Amrita answered in one go.

"Hand me some water," the old lady requested.

Arjun rushed to the counter and got her a water bottle and glass. She was shivering and again started coughing violently. Arjun helped her drink the water which calmed her down. Arjun went over to the fireplace and started the fire in the mantle. The old lady finally settled after long, with Amrita and Arjun settled around her like two kids waiting for a story, on their knees.

"I know you," she bent towards Amrita patting her right cheek lightly. Amrita was taken aback and moved a bit away.

Arjun looked at Amrita and his eyes twinkled with laughter. Amrita smiled sheepishly.

Mrs Pawan said, "You, girl, are the only person I have ever considered giving my recipe to. You seemed like someone who had passion, ability and heart. You would understand the importance it held for me. This pastry is what I have been recognised by as an individual all my life, apart from being my husband's wife. You know it has been in my family for generations and I have no children to pass it on to. Now that you are here, take it and leave." Hack! Cough! She took a deep breath and started again, "It is good you came today, I am going to shut Choco bakery down now anyway. I am too old and not keeping well enough to manage it." She said between coughs.

Amrita was silent, contemplating, "Thank you very much, Mrs Pawan. I will do my best to share its taste with as many people as I can. Is there anything I can do for you to return the favour?"

Mrs Pawan's bright eyes lit up even more. "Do you want to take over my Choco bakery?" She asked Amrita giving her an expectant look. "I am really fond of it. It has been my companion these five years while my husband works night and day in the cold weather."

Amrita looked over at Arjun for help. "I... I," she stuttered, "It would be a dream come true to own this bakery in such a beautiful place as this grandma, but right now I can't say anything."

Mrs Pawan looked somewhat let down and Amrita did not like it. Then Mrs Pawan spoke up, "What does your husband say?" She looked at Arjun expectedly.

Amrita was confused, "Excuse me? What husband?"

Mrs Pawan gave a sigh, "Well your boyfriend then, today's kids I tell you." She muttered the last part to herself.

"Uh... Uh. Arjun is just a friend grandma, I uh..." Amrita was at a loss for words.

Arjun's chuckled to himself secretly, feeling unexpectedly satisfied with grandma's assumption. Mrs Pawan had disapproval written all over her face and she did not try to hide it. She addressed Amrita sternly, "I am giving you my recipe and offering you my shop because I think you are a good and smart girl, but now I am doubting the smart part. Don't be stupid and let this one get away, you don't find ones like him easily girl." She said motioning towards Arjun. It was Arjun's turn to be embarrassed.

"If you want my recipe you have to take over my shop and that is final."

Amrita did not know what to say. Arjun held Amrita's hand seeing the disappointed look on her face. She looked up at him, her mood improving considerably.

He calmed down Mrs Pawan who had again started coughing after her long speech. He then said to her, "Mrs Pawan, how about if I buy your shop and keep it open and working?"

Mrs Pawan and Amrita stared at Arjun. Amrita was shocked. Why would Arjun offer such a thing for a small recipe for her? Mrs Pawan was a very stubborn lady. She said that she only wanted Amrita to run her shop no one else. If it was not for Amrita, her chocolate pastry recipe would go to the grave with her.

Arjun decided he had to try this pastry. Mrs Pawan got them both a piece from among the delectable looking assortments of chocolates. Just as Arjun took a bite, a moan of pleasure escaped his lips. The chocolate along with the bread melted in his mouth like hot butter. The texture was perfectly creamy and tough at the same time. He had had delicacies from many places in the world, but never a chocolate pastry so good. He looked at Amrita, who was watching him with fascination in her eyes. She had eaten the pastry like a child, her mouth was smeared with chocolate. Their eyes locked, sense of time was lost as the two were submerged in the chocolaty depths of each other's eyes and the pastries.

Their reverie was broken by a log crackling in the fireplace. Arjun looked towards the fire then again towards Amrita. She was blushing like a fairy, her mouth biting slightly over her chocolate covered lower lip, trying to hide a mesmerising smile. Arjun's heart fluttered like it had never before in his life. A tenderness settled cosily somewhere deep within him. That was the moment Arjun realised he was infatuated with her. He swallowed the lump formed in his throat and called out Amrita's name. She looked up at him, still trying to hide her blushing smile and Arjun's heart started hammering in his chest.

"I see you really like the pastry," Amrita stated.

"I do," he said. "I like it very much." He paused then added, "We need to get this recipe Amrita."

Amrita raised one eyebrow, "We?"

Arjun continued, "You. You get the recipe. I am going to buy the shop and you can run it. We can work together."

Amrita looked doubtful, "But I live so far away and I already have a shop. How will I manage two shops?"

"Do you want to run it?" Arjun asked.

Amrita thought for a while getting a dreamy expression on her face. "I do want to run it. I would love to in this beautiful place. Moreover, I have always wanted to expand my business since my current bakery is well established. But I don't see how."

Arjun looked satisfied, "Don't worry about the how part. I will make it happen."

Amrita did not understand why he was so interested in her measly bakery dreams so much. So, she asked him, "Why are you so interested in all this bakery business?"

Arjun gave a mysterious little smile and said, "Well it will be a help in the business plans I have here and I told you, I really like the chocolate pastry."

After Arjun praising Mrs Pawan's pastry asthe finest he had ever had and Amrita assuring her, she was delighted with heroffer to take over the bakery along with the legacy of her recipe, Amrita andArjun started down the hill to the little cottage. Where they were sure Mohitand Mr Patel would be waiting for them.   

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.2K 2.1K 35
Book 1 of Tainted Series "Aapne maara hai mere maa baba ko. I hate you. Apni shaqal bhi dikhayi toh I'll kill myself " ~ Annahita Thakur •••••••••••...
139K 8.2K 60
Divya Sharma, A sweet silent and a calm girl fighting with her own fears from her past. Her small family with her loving parents and a protective bro...
75.3K 5.8K 18
Samira , when develops a huge crush on her senior Aahan , things don't go her way; will her life change? or this crush ends just like how most people...
1.8M 95.1K 60
[FEATURED] Shruti never had marriage in her life plan. For her, it was, ❝Shaadi aur bacche, dusron ke hi achhe.❞ (Marriage and children benefit only...