Reasons to Live | ✔

By HisBeautifulMess

After an incident three months ago and her parent's divorce, Reina Caverly finds a way to cope: cutting herse... More

Chapter 1-
Chapter 2-
Chapter 3-
Chapter 4-
Chapter 5-
Chapter 6-
Chapter 7-
Chapter 8-
Chapter 9-
Chapter 10-
Chapter 11-
Chapter 12-
Chapter 13-
Chapter 14-
Chapter 15-
Chapter 16-
Chapter 17-
Chapter 18-
Chapter 20-
Chapter 21-
Chapter 22-
Chapter 23-
Chapter 24-
Chapter 25-
Chapter 26-
Chapter 27-
Chapter 28-
Chapter 29-
Chapter 30-
Chapter 31-
Chapter 32-
Chapter 33-
Chapter 34-
Chapter 35-
Chapter 36-
Chapter 37-
Chapter 38-
Chapter 39-
Chapter 40-
Chapter 41-
Chapter 42-
Chapter 43-
Chapter 44-
Chapter 45-
Chapter 46-
Chapter 47-
Chapter 48-
Chapter 49-
Chapter 50-
Reasons to Live...Epilogue?!
Bonus 1: Calvin's Reason To Live
Bonus 2: Two Years Later...

Chapter 19-

75.8K 2.5K 491
By HisBeautifulMess

Chapter 19-

"Aren't you guys awfully close this morning?" Joshua questioned  as soon as his car came to a complete stop in front of my house. I examined the distance between me and Calvin, huh, we are standing awfully close. I quickly take a step to the right making Joshua chuckle as he stepped out of his car to stretch.

"Say a word and I will personally murder you," Calvin threatened as he got into the front of the car as I went into the passenger seat in the back. But, knowing Joshua he can't resist a moment to embarrass Calvin. Especially in front of me it seems.

"So what were you doing at her house so early? Huh? Huh? Were you...dare I say, doing something naughty?" Joshua raised one of his eyebrows playfully as he started his car to get to Megan.

I knew Joshua was just messing with Calvin. Ever since Calvin started to sleep over at my house every night, Calvin would always tell Joshua that he was already at my house in the morning. Joshua would always make a comment but didn't push to find out what it was. 

Calvin elbowed Joshua hard in the stomach. I heard a groan of pain coming out of him followed by Calvin mumbling to himself about how he is going to hit him harder next time if Joshua kept this up every morning. 

"Don't be so hard on him! We're going to get into an accident!" I scolded.

"Wait so if we weren't in a car, then you'll let him abuse me?!" Joshua gaped.

"Yeah pretty much."

"I think Calvin is rubbing off on you. I think you should hang around me more and be nicer to me instead."

This time, I smacked him as hard as I can on his head. I admitted it somewhat hurt my hand as well, but Joshua only chuckled at me, making me glare at him.

"One day Joshua, I swear I will cause you pain," I mumbled.

Calvin eyed me curiously, "Want me to do it? I can hit him really hard for you since I'm sitting next to him."

"No don't worry, I'll get him back later on. I'll buy him a cat!"

Joshua was allergic and scared of cats since the day he was born so Megan and I planned to get him a cat one day if he got us both really mad.

"Cat?" Joshua repeated like a parrot as he opened the car door, still rubbing the area where Calvin elbowed him moments ago.

"Yeah, we're planning to get you a cat Joshua."

"Oh hell no you don't, or I swear I'll....I'll...."

"You'll....?" Calvin gestured for Joshua to continue.

"I'll....I don't know what yet, but I'll do something you will hate!"

I rolled my eyes at Joshua's lame response. Leave it to Joshua to make a fool of himself without anyone's help.

But I still love him because of that.

"I'm so scared," Calvin said with a grin.

The ride to school was very hectic, especially since Megan woke up late, making us late for school already. 

It took us a full ten minutes to drag her out the house with her complaining about how she couldn't get ready, thanks to us.

By the time we get to school, the hallways are deserted making me groan, we already missed the first half of first period.

Joshua, Megan and Calvin don't really mind being late unlike me. 

Yes, I have skipped school before but that was for the whole day meaning I was basically excused or "sick". 

This is a different story, it'll show up on my transcript that I am late, which doesn't happen that often.

"Quit pacing and just go to class then! Who cares if they write you're thirty minutes late for class?!" Joshua exclaimed.

"I'm skipping so I don't personally care. I didn't do Mr. Martin's homework anyway," Megan said with a shrug.

Great so I'll just be me and Calvin then going to class.

"But I was never thirty minutes late, though. At most I have five minutes late," I countered trying to find an excuse to my teacher as of why I was late with Calvin no less.

"Just skip like us then," Joshua looked calm as he stood there with his phone in his hand, scrolling through his Facebook. They clearly can't see how worked up I am. I don't want it to effect me getting into a good school. Oh my God if I don't then how am I going to take care of London?

Before I can even think of something, I saw Calvin coming toward me, basically dragging me to class.

"Are you guys going to the janitor's closet? Naughty naughty," Joshua joked earning him a glare from both of us. Megan only laughed shaking her head at us. We turned to the right hall and I curiously look at him.

"Where are we going to be exact?"

"Class, obviously. Where else?" He answered like it's the most obvious answer.

"But we're late! I don't have an excuse and people will stare," I told him as I try to break out of his hold but to no avail.

Calvin knocked on the door before opening it. Mr. Martin and every other student stared at us and I quickly pulled away from Calvin. People are used to Calvin being late but me, to be this late, is a different story.

"Calvin and Reina, how nice of you to join us. Mind telling me why you're late though?" Mr. Martin somewhat lowered his voice at this point, knowing that the question is to me in particular. Calvin is always late but me being late is totally different.

The students stared at us curiously, especially some of my friends that I somewhat talk to. I thank heaven Mr. Martin doesn't cause a scene by asking the last question loud enough for everyone to hear.

That would be hell.

"Um...."

"Reina was looking for me all morning because Joshua couldn't find me and they were worried that's why she was late. She even dragged me to class even though I just want to sleep," Calvin lied smoothly. 

I looked at him with wide eyes at his lie.

Oh my God what is he doing?

"So you're the reason she's late?" Mr. Martin looked at him in disappointment.

"Yeah, it's all me," Calvin said smoothly as we both took a seat in our assigned seats.

"If that's the case, then Reina, I'll excuse you this one time because never once were you late before. Don't do it again," Mr. Martin said. 

He looked a bit uncertain but goes with it anyways. 

I can't believe he just did that. For the next ten minutes, I can't focus on calculus at all. I am still hung up on what Calvin just did. He basically lied for me, even though it isn't his fault we were late, it's Megan's.

I finally can't take it and as soon as Mr. Martin is writing on the board again, I turned to him and whispered, "Why?"

He shrugged, "Well, I don't really care about being late or my absents. Since you seem so worked up about your tardiness, it's the least I can do for last night."

I stared at him in confusion and curiosity. Who would have thought he would have done this for me? He's quiet, he's moody sometimes and a bit over protective of me, but deep down, he's been through a lot like me, and he just wants to help me, like I help him.

It's a beautiful yet tragic story indeed.

The morning passed by rather quickly, with my mind still trying to process what just happened first period. Calvin is a pretty good liar in my opinion and he even said he had no regrets for doing so. I noticed him texting Caleb on his phone. Ever since he said goodbye to both of them on the plane, I wasn't with him but he looked a little lost without his sister but at the same time relieved.

"Watcha texting about?" I asked curiously as we made our way to our next class together since I have all morning class with him anyways.

"I want to know if they are coming back for Christmas," he mumbled.

Although Christmas was almost one month away since we are only now in November, it was good to hear them already thinking of plans to get Becca inside the city to celebrate. 

Lunch time rolled in and I went into the cafeteria to find my usual crew. Megan didn't want to go out today to get lunch because of the light rain, so we all decide to just stay in and get school lunch. The school lunch isn't that bad but still I prefer something from an actual restaurant, even if it was fast food or something.

I settled for a chicken salad and a bottle of water, then I made my way to where Joshua, Megan, Andy and Calvin were sitting ar.

Megan is laughing her head off as Joshua was shaking his head in defeat. Andy was grinning at Joshua with one arm around Megan. Calvin is staring at Joshua almost as if he wants to call him an idiot.

"What did I miss?" I asked sliding my lunch next to Calvin. It isn't because I want to, well a part of me did, but for the most part, it's because the other side of the table has three people already and Calvin's side only has himself.

"This smart ass here did the wrong assignment yesterday night, even though I told him on Facebook what the homework was," Andy explained making Megan chuckle some more.

I raised an eyebrow at Joshua as he continued to shake his head in shame.

"Don't need to say anything Reina," Joshua said as he held up his hand to stop me from saying anything. 

"What fun would that be then? You shouldn't help him next time, Andy, trust me. I've been with him since middle school, he always does the wrong homework. Even if he does the right homework, he ends up losing it before class starts."

"Why do you have to bring it up?" Joshua faked hurt, making me laugh.

This is an advantage for being his friend since middle school. I have many embarrassing stories I can bring up, just to see what Joshua would do or say. I also bring up the past a lot because, in my opinion, it is better than the present.

"It's amusing," I said poking at my chicken salad.

Everyone on this table, for the most part, has already finished up his lunch and I'm here poking it. I don't really know why I got it in the first place, when I am not even that hungry.

"Not going to eat?" Calvin asked looking down at me.

"Not that hungry," I mumbled.

"You didn't eat breakfast this morning at all. At least eat that," Calvin somewhat scolded softly under his breath so no one would hear. 

I pouted in annoyance making him chuckle.

"Aren't you lovebirds cute? What are you talking about?" Joshua grinned widely at us along with the rest of the table.

"How beautiful your ass is," I retorted before shoving some of the chicken salad into my mouth.

"Ew his ass is ugly," Megan commented, making everyone in our table laugh.

I glanced at Calvin to see a satisfied and happy expression on his face. It is one of those rare moments where he seems happy.

And it is just because the fact that I am eating.

My heart skipped a beat and I realize I would eat a whole cake if it means I can see him with an expression like that. Even if it isn't a full smile, it's close enough. Like he has a normal life. That he isn't battling with his own dark demons himself. That his sister is still okay. That he doesn't have a mom that doesn't care. That his step father doesn't abuse him at home all the time.

Almost as if he sensed my mood dropping slowly, he gently touched my hand from under the table, causing me to jump in surprise in my place and also the fact that sparks went through me as soon as his fingers touched mine.

Cheesy, I know, but it is the truth. It caused the whole 'butterflies in my stomach' kind of feeling that I never felt before. Heck, I didn't even feel like this with my ex-boyfriend, Paul. He was sweet, amazing and also really nice but his touch isn't even a match compared to Calvin's.

We're not even dating.

I looked up to see him staring at me, as if to tell me to stop thinking about it.

"Reina? You listening to me girly?"

I snapped my thoughts back to Megan, but I don't have the will to move my hands away from Calvin's.

"Yeah I'm listening," I tried to keep my breathing in check, but I am feeling my heart beating like I almost ran a mile. We aren't holding hands but his hand was still resting on top of mine. 

I was a bit confused as of why he doesn't move his hands from mine even though I did stop thinking about his sad life and what would happen if he hasn't got a family like that.

What would I be doing if that incident didn't happen this summer ?

Would I still be bubbly?

Would I still be with Paul and not talking to Calvin ?

Would he be dead if I never met him?

I shook the last question out of my head, unconsciously turning my head to grab his. It is more to comfort the fact that he is still alive.

That he was here at this moment.

Calvin gave me a inquisitive look but I shook my head giving him a small smile, as if to say it's nothing, when Megan is facing Andy and Joshua is too busy trying to rush through his homework before lunch is over.

The rest of the lunch period goes by pretty fast and by the time the bell rings, signaling us to go to class, Calvin's hand left mine. I admit I feel weird that I'm not holding his hand, but I don't think too hard about it because every time I do, it makes me want to hold his hand again.

I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

The rest of the afternoon passed by fast as well, mainly because I am in the same class as Joshua. Imagine everyone's expression when Joshua made up a lame excuse as of why he didn't have the right homework assignment. He's basically the class's clown without trying.

At the end of the day, I was pondering if Calvin needs a place to crash again or no. I mean, I don't want him to go home if his step dad, Erik, is home. Seeing his kind of abuse last week inflicted all over his back, was just horrible. There was nothing but hate.

And Calvin doesn't deserve that.

No one does.

I mentally sighed and threw my books in my schoolbag in frustration. Lately all my thoughts seems to be on Calvin, Calvin and Calvin.

"You okay?"

I basically jumped in surprise when Joshua suddenly tackled me from the back. 

I held onto the locker for support, even though he threw his whole body on me.

"Oh my God, Joshua you're going to kill her if you keep this up!" Megan growled prying him off me. I moan in pain when Joshua gets off me while still laughing.

"You okay?" I heard Calvin next to me.

"Oh relax Calvin, stop being so overprotective, I've been doing this since we were little and you never really said anything even in freshmen year until now!" Joshua said trying to reassure Calvin.

I agree it didn't hurt, but it was the fact that when he grabbed me, it must have reopened my cuts or cause it to hurt so much.

"I'm fine," I said giving Calvin a smile to ease his mind a bit.

But my smile didn't' seem to persuade any of them at all. 

"Sure you don't want to see the nurse?" Megan and Andy jumped in giving me a concern look.

Even Joshua looked a bit guilty, even though he knows, as well as I do, he won't put all his weight on me at all.

"No, no, I'm fine. Don't feel bad Joshua, sheesh you look like you just killed me or something," I punched him in the arm lightly trying not to wince in pain. I'm pretty sure he accidentally reopened a cut there but I didn't want to make it obvious or say anything.

Although I didn't cut as much anymore with my promise with Calvin, I still did a few here and there as a way for me to feel more in control of my night terrors when I get them. Calvin would get up and ask me a few times a night to see if I was okay and I would always excuse myself to the bathroom to cut. He wouldn't say anything but I knew that he knew I was cutting secretly still. 

"Are you sure? You want me to drive you home? Were you sick or something?" Joshua said.

I shook my head, since there's a lot of homework today, I want him to get home and do his homework and study.

Thank goodness I didn't have work today. I don't think I'll be able to work given my arm's condition right now. I must have cut too deep yesterday without even knowing. 

"No, you get home and study, I need to go by the grocery store and pick up a few things anyways for dinner, it's fine. I'm going to go ahead," I gave them all a small wave and when I left, I notice Calvin is right next to me.

Figures.

"Stalker," I mumbled out loud before I can stop myself.

I heard him chuckle right next to me, as I turned around the corner, making my way to the store, before going home.

"Are you going to follow me all the way home?" I questioned turning to him curiously. Although he came at night to crash at my place, he usually did his own thing before sneaking into my house.

"Well, I'm not going to let you go home when you're not even strong enough to carry your grocery. What kind of friend would I be?"

Bulleyes.

It amazed me how well he can read me.

"You really are a stalker then."

"A stalker is someone who harasses another person with attention. I'm not like that, I'm just a great friend is all," he defended, amusement in his eyes when I stared at him with an 'are you kidding' me look.

"Sure you are. Are you staying for dinner?"

"Was that an option?"

Since he stayed for a week now, I didn't mind him staying and honestly, I think London was suspicious of knowing he was sneaking to sleep over at my room but he didn't bring it up at all. 

I just hope London will be okay with him eating with us tonight though.

_____________________________

Donations can be made here: paypal.me/HisBeautifulMess

Reasons To Live: 19. "Sometimes good things happen fall apart so better things can fall together instead".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

189K 9.7K 38
Jude doesn't talk. He can't, even when he wants to. They don't want to hear what he has to say, and they only use their words to hurt him. So why eve...
265 80 23
Growing up in a toxic environment, sixteen-year-old Jay Foster has always had psychological problems, coupled with a quick temper. But one night some...
15.8K 211 12
Abigale isn't what you call pretty, or bright. She's average, with the below average schooling . Abi gets bullied for her nerdy appearance, and her h...
1K 127 26
In the midst of his teenage years, a 14-year-old high schooler found himself falling deeply in love for the very first time. However, there was a cat...