Swanson Farms

By ryewinston

Charlie Swanson thought that life in the city was the right path for her. After making a mistake and being le... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Author's Note
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Author's Note
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Author's Note
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 21

6K 177 4
By ryewinston

Later that night we picked Bailey up from my parents house, and drove back to our house.

"How was that?" I asked quietly, putting Bailey to bed, rubbing her stomach softly to make sure she settled in and stayed asleep.

Seth shrugged, "I liked it... It was really nice. The people in this town are really nice and welcoming... Surprisingly."

I nodded, "A lot of small towns are not really welcoming, but most of the friends Jackie and Zach had in high school were really nice."

He wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his head on top of mine (he towered over me at 6'1, I was only 5'6).

"Tomorrow I'm going to go into the bakery and probably pull a full shift..."

Seth kissed my temple softly, "Alright. Jackie told me tonight she's going to have a meeting with me tomorrow to start discussing the lessons I'll be doing. I guess I'll brush up on my rodeo skills and show her what I can still do and then I've gotta find myself a good rodeo horse to start teaching."

"Well is Jackie going to let you try out some of our horses?" He shrugged,

"I never asked, I just assumed I had to find myself a horse."

"I don't think Jackie would expect you to find your own rodeo horse Seth. To be quite honest I don't think she pays you enough for that." He laughed and shrugged,

"You're right." Once I was sure Bailey was asleep Seth and I went into my bedroom and we sat in the chairs, facing the fireplace.

"So... I was thinking..." I said softly, and I saw Seth get nervous and I smiled,

"It's not bad, I promise. But I was thinking... Instead of you sneaking clothes over... Why don't we make it official?"

"Official how?" He asked, taking my hand,

"Well... You move all of your stuff in here... I mean, only if you want too."

He grinned, "I would love that Charlie. I really would."

I grinned and he kissed my hand softly and I yawned, "Time for bed?"

I nodded, wiping my face tiredly. We walked over to bed and I completely undressed, leaving the clothes by the side of my bed- at this point too tired to care. Seth did the same and we got into bed and turned off the lights.

****

The next morning when I woke up the bed was empty beside me, but it was still warm. I took Seth's pillow and cuddled it, loving the smell of him. After five minutes I got up and got dressed, decided on a black maxi dress with a jean vest over top. Bailey was awake when I went into her room, and I grinned, picking her up and kissing her cheeks obnoxiously. I absolutely loved the sound of her giggles, and I decided to dress her in a fleece one piece and a pair of mini cow boy boots that Jackie had gotten for her.

When we went downstiars there was a plate of french toast waiting with a note beside it, under the coffee mug,

Have a great day, I'll see you later tonight. Call me when you're on break.

I grinned and put the french toast in the toaster oven to warm and sipped my coffee, getting a pot out to warm Bailey's formula. I fed her and packed a diaper bag, planing in bringing her into work with me again.

Once the french toast was warmed I sat at the breakfast bar, holding Bailey in my lap while I ate and she played with her stuffed bear.

When I was done I got Bailey set up in the truck and put my purse in the front seat, locking the door.

I drove down the hill and saw Seth working outside the barn, hauling hay. I grinned and once he saw me he put the bail down and came over, leaning in the window to give me a kiss,

"Thank you for breakfast," I said and he winked,

"Of course. I'm almost done the chores today, Jackie said she and Zach were going to see about buying a horse or two for their place."

"That's awesome, did she say where they were going?"

"I think she may have mentioned something about her old riding barn, but I don't know for sure."

I nodded and he kissed me again,

"If I'm free later today I'll come by the bakery and bring us some lunch." I nodded and he winked, "How about if I can't come at lunch, I'll take you out for dinner tonight, we'll stop by my place and get all of my stuff, load up our trucks, and go."

"Sure, just let me know what you're doing okay?" He nodded again and kissed me before opening the back door of the truck and kissing Bailey's head. Bailey squealed and I grinned,

"Have a good day babe," I said once he came back over to my window.

"You too Charlie." I got back on the path and waved at my parents when I saw them sitting on the porch.

"Morning Charlie!" Dad called and I stopped the truck again,

"Hi Dad, morning Mom." They came over to the truck, "Did you want to come over for dinner tonight?" I asked them and they shrugged before nodding,

"We'd love too sweetheart. Is your sister coming?"

"I haven't asked yet, but if you want to pass the word along that would be great. If not I'll text her during the day anyways." They nodded and then we said good bye and I drove into work, parking behind the bakery.

I started baking and the bell rang when Mariah came in, Hannah had the day off today.

"Hey Charlie," She called, coming in the back while she put on her apron, "What still needs to be made?"

"I've got the cookies and brownies in the oven, I'm mixing the batter for the tarts now. Could you start filling the bread?"

She nodded and grabbed one of the syringes and started to insert our sugar mixture into the bread, "Have you decided when you'll be opening the new store?"

I shook my head, "I'll see about finding a place first, and then I want to see if my Uncle would have the time to help me renovate it and if my Aunt could help me decorate it." She nodded and one by one the timers started going off so I started placing them in the show case. I left some in some of the mini toaster ovens on low to keep them warm and fresh, and I got started on the cupcakes.

When seven rolled around we started to get busy as people picked up boxes of baked goods to take into work. Our tip jar filled quickly, and around lunch time the bell rang and I looked up from counting the money in the register and saw Doctor Ferris walk in, holding a little boy that looked to be almost a year and a half old, a man followed right behind her holding two little boys' hands and an older boy that looked to be about eight or nine followed after the man.

"Doctor Ferris!" I exclaimed smiling, and she smiled,

"Please, call me Jana. Charlie this is my family; my husband Alex, and these are our sons David, Michael, James, and the little one is Jack."

I remembered her saying that she had one child from a previous engagement so I assumed it was David, the oldest.

"It's wonderful to meet you all!" I said, coming out from behind the counter, "What brings you to Willowhurst?"

"Well we're still looking for a place to call our own and Alex read that this is a beautiful and historic town." I nodded grinning,

"It really is. Where abouts were you guys looking?"

"In the older district, over on Thomas Street. The house for sale is beautiful so we put an offer in."

"That's amazing! It's a really beautiful town and everyone is very welcoming. Oh, I almost forgot, Jackie and Zach's gender reveal party is on Saturday. A lot of people from town will be coming, so it'll give you a chance to meet everyone and get to know them." Jana nodded,

"Okay, that sounds great Charlie, I'll just need your address." I nodded and wrote it down for her and Alex looked at the boys,

"You can each have one thing okay?" The boys nodded and Mariah smiled, going over and getting the bags for the treats,

"So what do you do?" I asked and Alex and he smiled,

"I was a software developer, but I sold my company last year so I could be around the family more. I was travelling a lot and I was hardly home. Once word got out that I was thinking of selling a company offered me a great offer that i couldn't turn down."

"That's amazing," I said and he smiled,

"I haven't been this close to home in a long time."

"Where are you from?" I asked and Alex smiled,

"I'm from Sprucebridge. I left to go to University after high school and I met Jana at school."

Jana smiled, "He was the first guy to look past me being pregnant in school. Dave was from my first boyfriend, and his father took off when I told him I was pregnant. My family helped me get through University and eventually so did Alex."

"Did... Did David's father ever try and get back into his life?" I asked, thinking about Noah and Bailey.

Jana shook her head, "I tried reaching out earlier this year when David started to become curious as to who his father was, but once we never heard back Dave decided that Alex was his real father, regardless. I mean after all Alex had been there since the day Dave was born." I smiled and Dave came over holding both of his younger brother's hands,

"Dad, the lady wants you to pay now." He grinned and went over, picking out a few more desserts and one of the sugar loafs before paying, Mariah giving them half off.

"Well we'll be hanging around town for the next little while to see if we got the house," Jana said and I smiled,

"Well you're welcome to wait here, if not Main street has some locally owned shops that are worth the look."

"Thank you Charlie," Alex said, sitting the kids at one of the tables.

"I'm gonna make some more cookies," Mariah said when I was back behind the counter. I nodded and once she put them into bake she stood beside me, leaning against the counter,

"So, you and Seth huh?"

I nodded and she grinned, "I remember Seth from school. He was two years ahead of me... God he's a beauty."

I laughed, "Nick is pretty cute too."

"Nick is baby face cute. Seth is rugged beauty cute."

I laughed and she smiled, "I'm going to skip the awkward questions with how he is in bed, but I can imagine he's fantastic," I nodded grinning,

"Can't deny that."

She laughed and rolled her eyes, "So are you two serious now?"

"Well yeah... Seth is going to move out of his grandparents house later tonight and move in with me."

"Awh Charlie I'm so happy for you."

I smiled and hugged her before checking my phone when I heard it vibrate,

Got caught up trying out some of the horses but I'll see you tonight. :*

I smiled and texted him back, before continuing on with the day's work.

Thank you to everyone who read and reviewed!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.4K 223 8
A sequel to 'Way Back' [also known as the huge mess Charlie has made]. What if the right person comes at the worst possible time? Would you fix your...
127K 8.6K 42
Harlow Rose knew exactly who she was supposed to grow up to be until she didn't. Growing up in a super religious household, Harlow's life boiled down...
10.4K 380 42
[Completedâś”] Born and raised in Tulsa, Jade Phelan reminisces her youth with a group of dealers who attempt to make a better life for themselves and...
180K 8K 28
As a teenager, Lena Young ran away to Texas to start a new life. Now at 26 shes a successful bakery owner and hasn't been happier. Things are going w...