Surviving Disney High School

By drummergurll

It's just another day of school. Well, not really. High School just started and now all the Disney princesse... More

Surviving Disney High School
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24

Part 16

717 28 11
By drummergurll

Belle POV

The next day seemed to pass by painfully slow. I did a decent job at avoiding Adam, but I couldn't completely hide from him.

He met my gaze once briefly at lunch, but his eyes were so distant that I thought he was staring right through me as if I wasn't even there. Some small part of me felt stung but I quickly shoved it away.

If he wanted to make amends, he could have sought me out, but he didn't. I best stand back until he approaches me.

"I don't know. This is so unlike her! She's never avoided us for this long," Punzie was saying, twirling a strand of her hair absentmindedly.

"Or avoided us period," Ariel added, nodding her head a bit too much. She met my eyes and the edges of her lips tilted up slightly. It was a sad smile.

"Maybe one of us should reach out to her," I suggested.

The three of us were walking out of the school to the parking lot. The air was crisp with a slight wind, just enough to ruin my hair. Not that I put any effort into it in the first place. The trees surrounding the school had vibrant leaves of many shades and the sky was astonishingly clear. I loved autumn.

Ariel seemed to perk up slightly. "I could get a hold of her? She's always opened up to me pretty well. Maybe I can see what is really going on," she stated. Her red hair flew wildly around her face, seeming even more noticeable with the accents of the red leaves. She was so beautiful. Eric was truly a lucky man to have a girl like her. If only every relationship could be like theirs.

No. I'm not going to think about that right now.

"Sounds like a plan," Punzie agreed with a smile. "I'll see you guys tomorrow morning!"

She pulled each of us in for a hug before getting in her car and speeding off. Her mom was very strict, especially now that she's apparently still grounded. Oddly enough, she hasn't said what for.

I sighed at the thought. What is it about high school that makes all my friends distant?

"You okay?" Ariel asked, her eyes full of concern. She laid a hand gently on my shoulder for comfort.

I tried to nod my head convincingly. "Yes. There's just a lot on my mind. And I miss my dad a lot," I confessed, leaning into her touch.

Ariel seemed to sense my sorrow as she wrapped both arms around me in a warm embrace. "I know my dad isn't physically gone like yours, but he's gone in an emotional way. I've never felt so detached from him as I do now. I know what you're going through Belle, and I'm here in whatever way you need me." Ariel's words were smooth and exactly what I needed to hear.

I hugged her tightly as a single tear slid down my cheek. With the absence of my father, I feel more alone now than I have since my mother passed away. I have company, but I miss my father. He's the only one that's been there for me through everything. I wish he would come home. I don't know how much longer I can take living with Adam. 

Ariel pulled back just enough to look at me and I had never been so grateful to have such great friends. They always knew how to be there for me when I needed it the most. "Thank you, Ariel," I managed to choke out. My throat seemed to tighten from being so emotional. "You have no idea what it means to me. I'd like you to know that I reciprocate your feelings and would do the same for you."

"Anytime Belle." She smiled a genuine smile this time before waving goodbye and heading home.

~*~

When I got home, Mrs Potts greeted me kindly with a smile, but her eyes told that she knew things were unsettled between the two of us. Thankfully she didn't say anything a about it. The only thing she said was that dinner would begin promptly at 5 and that she was looking forward to catching up with me. I graciously accepted and made up an excuse of having homework before darting off to my room before she could approach the topic of Adam.

I shut my door quietly, letting my weight rest against it as I slid to the floor. The room in front of me was extravagant. It was everything a girl could ever want, but it seemed dull in comparison to what I really wanted.

Turning my head, I glanced at the picture frame I had set on the desk once I arrived. It was at least ten years old, but the memory was still fresh in my head. Papa had taken me to see the ocean one week. He would pick me up when the waves would send me toppling down.

I sighed, wishing more than anything to have my father back.

Still amidst my thoughts, a knock arrived at the door and I stood to answer it wearily. What if it was Adam? No, Adam wouldn't knock on the door.

I swung the door open to see Mrs Potts. "Dinner is ready, dear," she announced, inviting me to walk to the dining room with her. I fell in step beside her quietly.

Adam didn't bother to show, which didn't really surprise me. Mrs Potts paid no notice of his absence. She went on happily chatting away about her newest recipe. I feigned interest to keep her happy.

After dinner I helped her carry the dishes to the kitchen, then dismissed myself. Today had been buzzing with activity. I needed some fresh air.

The sun had long set over the horizon, leaving the dark sky filled with scattered stars in its place. The moon was high and bright, providing light for me to walk. I found my feet taking me to the lake I had stumbled upon a few days ago.

I was almost there when I heard a sudden noise. Whipping around, I searched for the cause, but I didn't see anything. Convincing myself I was crazy, I turned around and kept walking.

I heard it again.

I paused for a second, the only sound being my heavy breaths. Suddenly something came into view. Or someone rather.

Adam was standing silently staring across the lake. His hands were clasped behind his back, his hair casually sweeping across it. Instead of appearing dark and rough around the edges, somehow he now seemed soft and peaceful in the moon light.

I didn't know whether to keep going or turn around and go back. Seeing him like this seemed private somehow.

"Don't go."

His voice surprised me. Crickets chirped, the water rippled and lapped against the grass, and the trees groaned in the wind, but his words cut through the night like a blade. It was as if everything suddenly dropped off and it was just us.

I walked up to stand beside him. His stance didn't move. If he hadn't have just spoken, I would have thought he was oblivious to my presence.

We remained there for a while, silently watching the night. As if suddenly broken from a trance, his hands unfolded and fell to his sides. I about choked on a gasp when his ice blue eyes  collided with mine. Never have I seen so much pain and sorrow.

"Follow me."

His voice was so quiet and soft that I almost didn't hear it. He turned and leisurely walked across the yard giving me time to follow. I strolled along behind him, taking in the wonders of the night.

He suddenly stopped. When I arrived next to him I understood why. In front of us a beautiful garden was splayed across the grass. It was never ending! A worn down stone path led the way into the garden and followed many twists and turns as it wrapped around all the beautiful scenery.

"This is my favorite part of the house," Adam said, slowly taking a step into the garden. I followed him at his side as he guided us.

As we walked through, I wondered if this mansion, and Adam, would ever stop surprising me. Occasional trees provided a little cover, but mainly the sky was open, exposing the bright stars above. Adam slowed as we reached a fountain surrounded by prosperous bushes. The stars reflected off the water making it look as if it was glittering.

"This fountain marks the middle of the garden. My mother always had a soft spot for outdoors and nature. She was the one who suggested it be put here."

Adam rested a hand against the cool stone while he reached into the water with his other hand. When he pulled his hand out of the water, he opened his palm towards me. He held a single penny glistening under the moonlight.

"When my mother took me out, no matter how tight money was for us, she would always let me toss a penny into ponds and fountains as a sort of wish." He withdrew his hand and chucked the penny back into the fountain, the water rippling away as a result. "But I soon stopped the wishful thinking after the death of my parents. I haven't dropped a single penny since. It reminds me too much of my mother. Just like seeing you by the water reminded me of her." His eyes slowly met mine before motioning me to follow him again. "Come. I want to show you one more thing."

I remained silent the entire time, but my mind was reeling. Despite Adam's sometimes rough demeanor, on the inside he was still grieving the loss of his parents, like I was with my mom. But no one would know because he never opens up. The thought sends a knot in my stomach.

I almost ran into him when he stopped short. Pushing my thoughts away, I looked around in front of me. All the air in my lungs rushed out. Two stones rose from the ground.

His parents' graves.

My hand clutched my shirt as if to dampen the aching of my heart beneath. Adam was completely still as he stood beside me. The only notion that he was still alive being his slow breath that mixed into the cool air.

"My mom loved nature so much that she requested to be placed where it is abundant, not knowing that her time was almost up. Mrs Potts chose here because this was home for my mom," he explained, turning towards me slightly. "When I was first brought here after their deaths, I couldn't stand to be so close to the reminder of what I had lost. I sort of lost my mind, as you could tell from the state of my room. I haven't stayed in that room since then though. I stay in one of the guest rooms just down the hall from you actually."

His long hair blew slightly in the wind, slightly covering his clear blue eyes. He slowly met my gaze and I felt my heart break. Tears were welled in his eyes, making his eyes more of a royal blue. He had probably never admitted his feelings this entire time.

Normally I would be hesitant to reach for him, but he needs someone to be there for him whether he realizes it or not. I reached out a hand to rest on his arm comfortingly. Despite the cool air around us, he was surprisingly warm and I leaned in to him slightly.

"Adam," I started, fighting the tears now developing in my eyes.

I'm not sure how it happened or who acted first, but suddenly his arms were wrapped around me and I was snuggled against his chest in a warm embrace. His arms were strong and sure as he held me against him, so unlike his normal quiet and distant stature.

We remained in each other's arms for what seemed like an eternity. Neither one of us loosened our grip on the other. Instead we held tight to each other and everything we've been through, allowing the other person to slowly heal those scars. Speaking of scars, there was still one thing I had to set right.

"What you said the other day was true. I thought about it," I said truthfully, breaking the silence. "But then I decided that there was someone worth staying at the table for, so I said no."

I let out an easy breath. There, the words were out there and he could interpret them any way he wanted.

He pulled back slightly and I expected him to let me go entirely, but he didn't. Instead, he lifted a hand to cup my cheek. "Belle," he said softly, his warm breath tickling my cheek. I leaned into his touch and he slowly leaned into me, but I abruptly shivered as a gust of wind crawled across my skin. Adam straightened immediately.

"You must be cold," he chuckled slightly. "Let's get you inside." He let go of me entirely as he escorted me back to the warm mansion.

~*~

"You pick."

"No you pick."

"No, you pick."

"Ughh," Adam groaned, slapping a hand across his forehead in frustration.

Upon coming back into the mansion, Mrs Potts graciously made us hot cocoa to warm us up and now we are currently arguing over what to watch. Or rather, arguing over who gets to choose what to watch. But what he doesn't realize, is that as long as he's around, I'm content watching anything.

"Fine. Fine. Here, I'll just pick one at random and if you hate it, then you deserve to suffer because you had your chance," he said, throwing a random DVD in.

I laughed, collapsing onto one of the huge ornate couches. Adam put the case away before bounding across the floor and pouncing onto the couch beside me. "Make room," he howled, practically shoving me aside.

I cried out, trying to shove him aside to get my spot back but he didn't budge. Instead he just laughed. Sighing, I gave up and curled up on the opposite side of the couch. The last thing I remember is the movie starting before sleep overtook me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

266K 7.3K 30
When Elsa Queen was little she was popular, talented, athletic, and good at everything. After their parents died she gave it all up so her sister; An...
103K 3.8K 50
I don't own any of the characters. All of them are from Disney or DreamWorks. Elsa was new in Fatalery High School with her sister, Anna. They met tw...
12.8K 583 26
Elsa and her friends Merida and Rapunzel and her sister Anna are royalties and they had to move to a college because their parents asked them to when...
13.7K 380 24
Elsa's (from Frozen) life at home is far from happy and her life at school isn't any better. Jack (from Rise of the Gaurdians), Rapunzel (from Tangle...