Tintin and the Secret of the...

By StrikerSkyKnight

Tintin and Snowy find themselves investigating the mystery behind the 'Unicorn' but it is not the only myster... More

An Eventful Morning
Conflicted Feelings and a Broken Ship
The Library
An Unwelcome Visit
What Scroll?
The Letter from Who?
He Returns
Chloe's Courage
Sakharine's Threat
Crab Tins and A Letter
A Drunken Ally
The Dark Corridor
Lifeboat to Bagghar
Not A Rescue Plane
Crashed Into The Land of Thirst
The Letter That Was Never Sent
"You are nothing like him."
Interlaced
The Chase for Three Scrolls
Almost
More Than Friends
Home
Midnight Visit
Justice
Back To The Start
Bonus Chapter #1
The Hartson Siblings
Bonus Chapter 3
Preview!!
Story Facts

The Flea Market

1.7K 35 2
By StrikerSkyKnight

 It was a glorious summer morning in Brussels; the town was busier than usual as the Jeu de Balle flea market had been set up. There were some not so familiar faces as well as many familiar ones wandering the stalls and attractions. Amongst the chattering shoppers was Chloe who was observing a stall that sold old historical texts, in particular she held a purchased book about historical sunken ships close to her chest as she spoke to the seller about the Tudor era, and soon she picked up another book titled "Old Legends of Britain" which she purchased for three pounds. Chloe enjoyed history books more than any other subject

"It was lovely talking to you Mrs Winslow, thank you for the books!" She called as she wandered towards the gentleman who was painting portraits – making people into cartoons. She was eager to find Tintin and his faithful companion canine, Snowy. Chloe smiled seeing a familiar tuft of ginger, his hairstyle unique to anyone else's which did make him easy to spot amongst the bustling crowd. (http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m12gks8W561qg7qx4o1_250.gif) Quickly she made her way through the crowds towards him, holding her small green purse in one hand whilst clutching her books to her chest. Unlike most women, Chloe despised carrying handbags a thief could easily grab it but a purse on its own was a smaller target. Snowy's familiar bark drew her attention away from looking for Tintin, she giggled as the white fox terrier bounded towards her and jumped his front paws up to her bended knees. "Collecting me are you?" She giggled lightly, petting his head affectionately. Snowy barked in response, wagging his tail jumping away from Chloe and heading towards, presumably, Tintin. Chloe shook her head as she stood properly and followed one of her best friends around the market, he was barking away making people give disapproving glances for not controlling Snowy, others laughed at the blonde chasing the white fox terrier. "Snowy!" Tintin's voice called, Chloe lifted her head to see Tintin leaning to the side a little beside the mirror stall, "Where did you run off to?" Tintin asked, bending down to pet Snowy again, he however had other ideas and barked at Chloe, who sheepishly smiled as she clasped both hands on her new books and purse in front of her. "Hello, Tintin." She smiled, getting the rush of butterflies that she never got with Harry. She felt rather guilty for having such feelings but she couldn't stop it, besides she made a promise to marry Harry.

"Chloe!" Tintin grinned, standing up and embracing her, she laughed but hugged him back. (http://s3.favim.com/orig/140928/boy-cute-gif-girl-Favim.com-2106650.gif) "It's been a while since we saw one another!" Chloe laughed as she pressed a quick kiss against his cheek before stepping back to look at her best friend, he had grown a couple of inches taller and his face looked more masculine but still had the familiar baby face look to it. "How have you been?" He asked, blue eyes settling on her with a look she didn't recognise in Harry but it was probably wishful thinking. "Just nervous for the wedding, I don't think Harry and I want the same thing." Chloe truthfully spoke as she glanced away – not seeing the smile fall from Tintin's face – to the ground. "What do you mean, Chloe? Is something wrong?" Tintin asked in concern, in his mind Chloe had become more of a recluse since she and Harry had got together – what she saw in him he would never understand. "It's just..." Chloe began before sighing and shaking her head, "He wants a large wedding, newspapers and everything but I'd rather have a small one with just close friends and family." She finished, it wasn't a complete lie but she had been having second thoughts on Harry and realised she was only deeply infatuated with him, not in love. "Well... it is a ceremony for the both of you. Maybe you two should sit down and talk about it." Tintin suggested despite the bitter taste in his mouth from talking about Harry. Normally, Chloe would take Tintin's advice but was surprised when she shook her head again, "It's no use. I think I have to just show up and smile..." Chloe dryly laughed, though there was not a twinkle of amusement in her greyish green eyes. Sighing through her nose and finally bringing her eyes to look at Tintin again, "I'd rather not talk about this, today is about you and me having fun."Chloe dismissed before taking Tintin's arm, something they had always done and she instantly felt warmer as he pulled her close to him and smiled.

"Where has he run off to?" Tintin asked aloud as he and Chloe wandered through the market looking for the missing white fox terrier who had wandered off while Chloe and Tintin spoke. It had been two months since she had last saw him, either conversing by telephone or letters. Which was strange as they lived very close to one another. "He probably found a bone somewhere." Chloe giggled as her eyes caught sight of more books, Tintin laughed and dragged her gently away, sneaking a glance down at her with a smile that he kept only for her. "Haven't you got enough books, Chloe?" He asked quietly, she looked up at him with a playful frown. "I will have you know that I donated books to the library, Mr Tintin." She replied sassily, opening her mouth in fake shock before laughing, covering her mouth with her fingers. "What is so funny?" Tintin chuckled, stopping to stand in front of her. "It was your face when I said I had donated books!" She giggled, her cheeks reddening from laughing so much, Tintin thought for a moment before laughing as well – this was the Chloe he missed, the girl who would openly laugh rather than force one out or kept her giggles to a minimum.

Snowy bounding over with a loud bark ceased the teenager's laughing, Tintin kneeling down to pet his faithful companion, "Where have you been, chasing cats again?" He asked, Chloe mentally rolled her eyes as Snowy would more than likely be chasing cats or waiting for someone to drop a treat for him. She looked around the general area, wondering if Harry had realised that she had disobeyed him and was looking for her, though it wouldn't take him long.

Tintin's eyes wandered to the mirrors and spotted something that was behind him. "Chloe, look at this." Tintin's voice sounded excited, Chloe looked back at him with slightly raised eyebrows in questioning which was silently answered when Tintin moved over to a glass case with an impressive model ship displayed in it. "Wow, it's beautiful." Chloe awed, hands on her knees as she looked at the ship as ladylike as she could, not squatting like Tintin was. Her greyish green eyes wide with wonder but pulled herself away enough to stand up and began to flick through her books, wondering what the story was behind this strangely named ship. Now and again she giggled, catching snippets of the conversation between Tintin and the old, bumbling seller who kept getting information wrong, she found it adorable that Tintin was still fixated on inspecting the ship but could still correct information – the ship was called 'The Unicorn' and the history behind it intrigued the teens but Chloe felt that this ship's story was incomplete – why was it sunk? What happened to it?

"Hey bud!" An American voice panted, "How much for the boat?" Chloe looked up with a start from her book to see a rather rounded man patting his forehead with a handkerchief, forever wishing she wouldn't be so jumpy when she was reading. "I'm sorry, I just sold it to this young couple." The seller replied gesturing to a smiling Tintin, subconsciously Chloe moved closer despite being mistaken for Tintin's girl – though it was a nice thought – wait! She was engaged to be married to another man! Her cheeks reddened from guilty embarrassment, Harry would have the perfect chance to jump on an accusation against her – nothing physical had ever happened between herself and Tintin but it never stopped Harry from accusing her.

The American was persistent, taking Tintin aside saying how he'd pay double for the boat causing the seller to stand up in realisation that he could've sold the boat for more, Chloe sighed as she looked at Snowy, he looked as bored and fed up as her. "Thanks, but it's not for sale." Tintin politely answered clutching the boat, Chloe decided to move closer and took Tintin's arm – her silent way of telling her best friend to move on. "Look kids, I'm trying to help ya out. I don't know if you realise this but you're about to walk into a whole mess of danger." He warned in hushed tone, it made Chloe shiver uncomfortably – was that a threat or a warning? From her time spent with Tintin, she never trusted anyone's word and she had a feeling that Tintin didn't either. "What kind of danger?" Chloe piped up but the guy started to back away she turned around a little to see what his eyes had locked onto but she couldn't see any menacing individuals around, now wondering what thatre company would be looking for a new actor as this guy was doing a very good job, "I'm warning ya. Get rid of the boat and get out while you still can, these people do not play nice!" He rushed as he ran off, disappearing into the crowd leaving behind a ruffed seller, two confused teens and an oblivious dog. "What people?" Tintin asked no one in particular, both teenagers staring after the American.

"Wonderful. It's just... wonderful." A man in a red coat sighed, making everyone but the seller jump, Chloe stepped back from the man in the redcoat, people just enjoyed sneaking up on her today well Tintin was an exception but she still wasn't amused about how a complete stranger had no sense of spacial boundaries. It was people like this that Chloe was warned about - they were either too friendly or the exact opposite, she gave an involuntary shiver as she moved away from him uncomfortably (http://38.media.tumblr.com/c77e4dda8b7f93c2fb3f533e1e5ca2ab/tumblr_n0nrz9eU831r7oljbo1_250.gif) "Don't bother wrapping it, I'll take it as it is. Does anybody object if I pay by check?"He spoke, not letting anyone get a word in edgeways. Chloe found herself disliking this 'gentleman' already, he reminded her of Harry –especially with his 'no one will argue with me' tone of voice. Subconsciously, she gripped Tintin's coat a little tighter, her silver engagement ring shining in the sunlight. "If you want to buy it, you'll have to talk to the kid." The seller gestured with his hand, showing his frustration. "I see." The 'gentleman muttered whilst clicking his pen ready to write a check, another trait she recognised in Harry – flaunting his money around which never impressed Chloe though she was grateful for the gifts he bought her. 

Chloe suddenly felt quite uncomfortable in this guy's presence, he didn't seem to just be an over interested collector but something more. "Well, let the kid name his price." He spoke in an arrogant tone making Chloe frown in annoyance, wondering if Harry and this stranger were related. Doubtful but the world was a small place after all. "Name his price?" The poor seller looked like he wanted to beat himself up which Chloe felt rather sympathetic for and felt rather bad for him, "Ten years I've been flogging bric-a-brac and I miss 'name your price' by one fleeting minute!" Tintin didn't falter, even Chloe couldn't break him down so this guy certainly had no chance, she smiled a little at the memory of her trying to convince him to let her read their first adventure together in the newspaper but gave her the original copy with his hand written notes on it as well. What impressed her was his intricate memory, though he claimed to not remember what he said to himself when they first met when she asked him about it.

Eventually Tintin got fed up with the attempt of bargaining, which was degrading to the Haddock family name. Chloe was appalled by this stranger – this was some individual's poor family! "It's not for sale, sir." Chloe apologised strongly, showing she wasn't backing down. "You will be restoring the Haddock name." He attempted to persuade after giving Chloe a look of questioning for a few moments. She shivered with chills, there was something off about this stranger that gave her the chills and creeps. "I'm sorry, but I have said before. It's not for sale." Clutching his boat tighter to his chest to emphasise his point, "Good day to you sir." The trio walked away and quickly left the marketplace with Chloe glancing back to see the guy staring after them, something wasn't right but she kept quiet – just thankful to be out of the situation.

The blonde hummed a random tune whilst her friend thought deeply, meaning there was going to be a whole lot of running around soon but his mind wasn't only on the Unicorn, there was something else. "So are you coming to mine for tea or will I walk you home?" Tintin asked, he had planned for him and Chloe to have dinner later on but he always let her decide if and when she wanted to go home. He frowned when her eyes widened as she looked suddenly very worried, one name went through his mind, Harry Turnsworth. "I-I will join you for tea, thank you." She stammered, unsuccessfully re-composing herself which did nothing to convince the young journalist. "Chloe... is everything alright?" Tintin asked, letting her name roll off his tongue. She looked away and down at the fairly large silver diamond crystal ring on her left ring finger, an engagement ring, she winced at the memory of telling Tintin about it – he looked livid, upset and heartbroken. It was a strange day for her, as if she realised how stupidly naïve she was and how much she loved someone else.

A hand came to her shoulder, snapping her out of her daydream with a small jump, "Chloe." Tintin spoke again, his blue eyes scrunching in concern – this wasn't the same Chloe before she met Harry, she was always smiling and had a lot to say, now she seemed to be a shadow of her former self. Chloe hardly spoke and barely smiled the same way, he blamed Harry – he had to be bringing her down in some shape or form for her to become a recluse. "W-we're fine!"She lied with a nervous smile, looking up at him though her greyish green eyes shifted away from him. "What did he do now?" Tintin asked quietly, his hand gripping Chloe's arm a little tighter. "N-nothing! I'm just nervous for getting married and everything." Chloe lied, in all honesty she didn't want to marry Harry – he wasn't who he said he was but she didn't want the shame of cancelling an engagement. It was just unheard of and her parents would be ashamed of her, or so Harry had frequently claimed which scared Chloe more than she should have let have. Tintin's lips formed a tense line, Chloe was a terrible liar and it angered him that she was doing this to him – before Harry she never lied and now she couldn't even tell the truth about her relationships. "No, it's something else." He replied, not letting her get away with hiding the truth this time. "I-it's not! It doesn't concern you, please just leave it alone!" Chloe suddenly shouted feeling cornered into telling the truth, hiccupping with the tears rolling down her face pulling away from her best friend.

Tintin gaped at her, she had changed and it wasn't for the best. He stared at her for a few moments before composing himself – well somewhat. "He's changed you Chloe, why are you lying to me? I know when something is bothering you." He spoke in a rush, lowering the boat a little. Chloe bit her lip, why did he always seem to know when something was wrong? Though she took offence to Tintin's accusations, she wasn't the only one who had changed."I'm fine! Why can't you believe me?" She cried, little tears falling from her eyes. Chloe, you're crying over a question and it's not like you. If he is harming you in any way then you need to tell someone, not bottle it up inside." Tintin replied calmly, his heart fell to his stomach each time Chloe got upset – she was a strong minded young lady and only cried occasionally, unlike some women of her class who cried at any opportunity that made them look attractive or to receive attention from someone. "H-he's not hurting me... not physically but... Tintin, he doesn't believe that you and I are just friends and for the past three months it's been nothing but accusations and he didn't want me to see you or even contact you. I'm sorry –" She rushed out as she began to break down, Snowy whined worried for the caramel blonde while Tintin looked taken aback as his jaw slackened, gaping at Chloe in surprise – she rarely spoke about relationships yet here she was spilling everything.

"He what? He forbade you from seeing me?!" He asked loudly, offended and gobsmacked that Harry would demand such a thing! "Yes, Tintin! But I came to see you anyway and he's going to be furious!" She cried, wishing she hadn't said anything at all – Harry would find out and truth be told, she would flinch away from him each time he yelled fearing he'd raise a hand to her. "Why?" Tintin asked simply, retrieving a handkerchief from his coat pocket and handing it to Chloe who furiously wiped her eyes. "I hung up the telephone on him this morning and I don't answer when he phoned again – he expected me to be waiting for him at home, not here." Chloe sniffed, dreading the look on Harry's face when he eventually caught up with her and the raised voice following soon after doors were closed. Tintin winced outwardly but inwardly laughed, imagining Harry's face resembling a spoiled child who's favourite toy had been taken off him. "He hasn't got the right to stop you seeing friends and living your life. No one does but you."Tintin wisely spoke, his eyes locking onto her watery ones. "I know but-" Chloe began before she gasped, seeing a familiar figure behind her best friend. "Chloe!" A stern velvety voice shouted the caramel blonde flinched away from Tintin and Snowy with a look of panic on her face. It was a tall, suited man with slicked back hair marching towards her, a look of fury on his face. Chloe could only hope that Harry would wait until they were behind closed doors before shouting at her.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

386 79 34
***THE SECOND BOOK IN THE BEST FRIEND GRANT SERIES*** After years of longing for each other, Grant and Zephyrine finally got together. Their relation...
36K 872 26
(Y/N) (L/N) is a young female writer/journalist who lives along with her pet companion, and best friend, (P/N) in Brussels. The capital city of Belgi...
12.6K 244 11
I've always loved the movie and it's one of the few I could watch over and over and over again without being board of it. Now i'm a story teller and...
192 23 13
I always thought Nanna's stories were just tall tales, that is until I got back from uni. I've been away for two years. Away from my home, my family...