Christmas Consort

By KristinKing5

Consorting with evil this Christmas? Two years ago at Christmas Kylie shot an innocent man in a moment of pan... More

Driven to Night
Murder the Master
White-Eyes Haunt
Swerving
Chasing Blood
Juice Box of Blood
Blood Bag
Eaten Alive...But Not Dead
Enter the Vampire Male
Terror Better Than RED Bull
Dawn's Truce
Two-Faced
Honey on the Tongue
Clubbin' Before Christmas
Gun Shot Vampire
My...Master
Evil Spruce
First Bite Consorting
Three Consorting
Back and Forth, Loveland OH
Santa's Vampire Elf
New Boss
The Reason in Kitten Heels
Piano Vampire
Mistletoe Mishap
Christmas Adam
Unexpected Stakes
Staked
The Set Up
To Die in Peace
Vampire Judge and Jury
Hurry, Hurry
Dead At Last
Vampire Sunrise

Bee to Honey or Prey to Web?

10 0 0
By KristinKing5

The kitchen's cabinets went all the way to the tall ceilings and the range top stove was the oldest Kylie could remember seeing. Her vampire host filled a kettle and put it on to heat and then motioned for her to take the only seat in the room which was a metal affair, taller than a bar stool that had upside down steps folded into it. A step ladder she supposed.

He began methodically going through the quite bare cabinets. Utensils rattled in one drawer he pulled, and a soup spoon was selected. Kylie studied the brisk yet unhurried manner in which he moved. When she first saw the Man in Black, he had walked so slowly, a deliberate pace she now suspected. One for display to the public. Comparing the two specimens was an interesting past time and Kylie fancied herself a scientist observing a new species, excited interest mixed with professional detachment. The Man in Black was taller, almost gangly in build, while the suit before her was a scant few inches above her eye level and considerably thicker through the chest and shoulders. They both embodied strength, confidence, and a sort of grace that made her think of the colorful fluid toy she had as child which left her grappling for what those things were called.

The object of her visual scrutiny skipped over one set of cabinet doors which immediately aroused suspicion. Whatever occupied that space was clearly known and probably oft used. What does a vampire keep in his kitchen? (need to fill this in with wild speculation)

The second to last cabinet on the bottom contained an odd assortment of metal pans, glass soda bottles, and round bowl with no lip.

"I guess this is the best cup I can come up with," he set the bowl by the stove and studied the intermittent steam coming from the kettle. "Hot water with honey does not sound as appealing, does it?" He looked at her stomach instead of her face. "I see we are in agreement," he spoke to her middle.

He strode to the cabinets previously skipped and Kylie leaned over to see around to their contents. The one partially opened door revealed row, upon row of honey jars.

She mumbled, "Well, I never..."

"Yes. Appears to be all we have for now. I will find a way to the market tonight. Have to make Lara think it was her idea and--"

The kettle gave a gargled whistle before cutting loose with a noise Kylie thought would wake the dead. No microwave was that demanding, she thought. Kettle in one hand, bowl and spoon in the other her host stepped over to the countertop nearest her perch and poured up the steaming water. Then he retrieved the honey jar, unscrewed the top in one motion, and handed both it and the spoon to her.

"I would do the honors, however this concoction should probably be done to taste."

Kylie was one of those people who always took what was handed to her whether it was a coupon in the mall, advertisement on the sidewalk, or a spoon and jar of honey. In this case her fingers brushed his and a for a moment they both held the items still. Surprisingly his touch was not that much cooler than her own.

Suddenly he stepped back and the jar almost got away from her. "I do apologize," he said and then resumed searching the cabinets they both knew were empty.

Kylie spooned out the honey and dripped it across from the jar to the steaming bowl of water right beside. In her experience honey was either served from a plastic packet or a squeezable clear bear. This honey was noticeably lighter in color and clearer than the common grocery fare. The scent of it on the steam brought a comment from her stomach, and she became aware of how near the vampire was over her shoulder. Startled, she drizzled honey all over the area as her heart leapt and her breathing threatened to become labored again.

Tired, confused, and weak, she hardly noticed how her hand began to shake because she was distracted by the tears pooling in her vision.

Her plea was a whisper, "Please let me go."

His answer was low. "Canna do that."

She blinked back the tears feeling very much the frightened rabbit as that shimmery white glow returned to his gaze. She watched his hand, so average looking, raise as if to cup her face. She shied away, but there was only so far to go on the stool. The metal backrest pressed her into her spine as his whole hand slipped into the collar of her shirt and fell on her neck. She felt her own pulse against his cool skin.

His lips opened, a slit barely wide enough for his canines. She noticed for the first time how full his bottom lip was, how it dimpled where the two points of his teeth rested. Kylie didn't have to wonder if he liked what he saw now, mesmerized as he was by her desperately throbbing pulse.

"Canna do that," his head lowered and Kylie held her breath, waiting for the pain she'd experienced at the female's hands the night before. "Not sure I even want to."

What had Lara said? Something about getting him to feed on Kylie after a consort?

He exhaled and Kylie's whole body relaxed a notch. Languid and before she realized what she was about Kylie leaned forward taking in the solid planes of his face and getting lost in the moment. She let out half a breath.

"What are you doing to me?"

"I could ask you the same," he bowed his head and turned his face toward his shoulder, "but I know who is at fault here."

Kylie swallowed and wished she hadn't. The pressure of his hand against her throat increased a moment. Did he mean to strangle her? Then the hand withdrew leaving her throat bare, uncomfortably naked.

He shoved his fist under his nose and spoke from behind it as he drew away. "I am no stranger to the dark ways. I made a promise though." His gaze met hers again, nondescript dark gray eyes focused on her auburn-toned browns. "One I intend to keep." He took a step nearer. "I will do my best to see no harm comes to you."

He snapped suddenly, and Kylie blinked at the crack of it.

"Mint!" he said. "We've had no proper frost yet, and there is mint in the garden. Would you care for a sprig?"

She gave a small nod and her stomach mumbled on cue.

"All in agreement then," he said.

The back door had looked like just another window, closed tight with metal shutters. He gave the nob an easy twist and the levers slid away opening as easily as the honey jar. The streaming morning sun blinded Kylie so she turned blinking and saw the sticky mess she'd made on the counter top. Embarrassed she swiped her finger across a glob and stuck it in her mouth. A small moan escaped her throat. It was just that good. She swiped up a couple more fingers of the nectar before realizing the cold was coming in through the wide open door.

Gently she climbed down off the stool, it's metal squeaked an alarming protest at the shift in weight. Pausing, she crept to the bright light. The air said December but the sunshine poured over her face like high June. She took two steps down the concrete stair before she saw him.

With one arm he shadowed his face from the sun as he bent over some plants growing around the edges of a square concrete platform. His light brown hair showed streaks of gold, and she thought he could almost pass for a Sundance Kid sort of gardener. He was still as a statue though, one hand frozen in the act of nipping mint stems.

He obviously thought she was contemplating making a run for it. Run where? There were fields leading off in the distance toward a dark line of trees. And what good had she done with a head start last night? The female spoke as if this one as stronger--obviously faster and ready.

He straightened and rose in that slow motion reminiscent of the Man in Black. "Don't make me chase you."

She acquiesced by backing up one step not taking her eyes from the vision he cut in the cold morning. Running away from him was not an option in her mind. Her own released breath clouded the view, and she realized the same could not be said of her captor's.

"Thank you for not running." He sat at the other end of the Chesterfield while she kept her knees up to serve as a table for her tea mug. She hadn't had mint tea from fresh leaves before. Perhaps because she was so hungry, it tasted better than ever. She plucked a leaf out and ate it, chewing slowly. She saw his discomfort. He really did want to see her eating real food.

"Were you really looking for one of us?"

Kylie swallowed hard. If she told the truth, who would he believe? But why ask if he didn't already doubt Lara's word.

"Obviously you weren't looking for...this." He waved one hand around in the air. "I mean to say, were you..." He rubbed a hand down over his face again. "This is harder than I expected." He began to pace again.

"I know Lara is not always forthcoming with me. She is certainly not above lying to get what she wants. But I never imagined she would bring somebody back like this. It doesna make sense." He stopped and turned to her, "Unless..."

The truth. Kylie decided to give him the truth the best she could without completely contradicting Lara.

"The one I was hoping to run into again--I call him the Man in Black." She certainly had his attention now.

"You've met Jackson Ridley?"

That's what Lara didn't want me to put together. They called him the enforcer. The white-eye who saved Kylie, or tried, was a vampire who Lara feared. Why?

"Yes." She wanted to speak of Jackson as if they were good friends. That might come back to haunt her, though.

Silas cleared his throat. "Okay. I, um, I have never heard of Jackson taking a, uh, well uh human..."
"Blood bag?"

"That is a terrible moniker." He spoke apologetically. "A lover. A companion. Human or otherwise. Ridley walks alone." There was admiration in his voice. "Or I thought he always did."

He let that hang between them, an unspoken question. Kylie left it.

"Lara is afraid of him, isn't she?"

"She pretends to be. Hard to tell. She pretends a great many things. Jealously is not an emotion she fakes." He cleared his throat again. "It's probably best she doesn't know we talked."

Kylie scoffed. "You want me to keep a secret for you?"

"I want you to keep a secret for you."

What does that mean? A few minutes ago he was saying he would try to keep her from harm. Now he implied he might not intervene if Lara's jealousy got the better of her, which Kylie thought highly likely. He's only out to protect himself.

He stood. "It is about that time. Would you like to sleep in a bed and return to the couch this evening, or rest here, or...What would you prefer?"

"A real bed."

"Real, huh. As opposed to--"

She gave a weak effort toward a grateful smile, stood and fell right back on her seat. "Whoa. Dizzy much?"

He was there in an instant, kneeling and concerned. "You were okay before. I had no inkling you were this weak."

"Running on vapors."

"Vapors?" His eyebrows knitted.

"Like gasoline."

"Oh right. Had a different meaning back when I was...well, before. There is something I have that would definitely help but might be distasteful."

"Rest will help."

"Of course." When he offered his arm this time she took it.

The bedroom was not currently in use nor had it been for some time. The linens smelled fresh, though and blankets were soft, a light heavy cover she sank beneath and gave in to her bone deep weariness. It was a dreamless sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 830 57
The much-awaited Issue #2 of Paranormal Community's NECROCITY TIMES MAGAZINE in association with @ParanormalLovers exclusively for this Valentine's s...
118K 5.5K 47
"I am visiting under unusual circumstances. I won't bore you with the details but I have lost something of mine and I was hoping you could help me fi...
937K 24.8K 61
Vivienne didn't believe in vampires until she started to suspect her prince might be one. Which will she sacrifice - humanity or love? ...
1.4M 61.1K 34
When Sarah Solomon took refuge in an old cottage in the woods, she knew it would only be a matter of time before the monsters came a' calling. Curse...