One Affection

By NiallSquared

Caroline and her friends, Elaine, Ava, and Isabelle, were trying to make it through their senior year of high... More

Overview
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 29

20 0 0
By NiallSquared

Chapter 29

(New Years Eve. 10 pm. Liam's thoughts)

It's been a little less than a week and I still don't feel like I've been broken up with. All I've done is developed a cough from the two cigarettes I had that same day.

I had on nice slacks and the suit coat I bought in New York when we went. I felt spiffy and I hope I looked it too. I hoped I'd find another woman tonight.

"Liam how are you doing?" Caroline asked with a knock at my door. "Danielle texted me the other day and said it might be better off if we didn't see each other for a while too."

"Well she's moving up to Birmingham again so you won't have to see her." I said.

"Liam, how are you." She demanded this time walking through the door and sitting down on the bed next to me.

"I feel like absolute shit. Our good relationship going so strong for nearly three years gone to complete shit."

"All good things have to come to an end eventually."

"But we weren't supposed to, we had this plan and I just wanted to alter it slightly and she just went off on me. I don't know what to do, I miss her but I don't want anything to do with her."

Care was silent for a minute and took my hand. I couldn't cry in front of her, I couldn't show how upset I really was. I was still trying to stay strong for her with the situation with her dad.

"Sometimes things have to happen and no matter how much it sucks maybe this was to help you. Maybe Danielle was helping you in the long run. You want a singing career, she wants to dance, maybe your paths will cross again at a better time." She finally said after much contemplation.

"I hope you're right." I sighed.

Louis peeked his head in through the door and smiled at us while saying, "Alright enough of the sad stuff it's New Year's Eve let's get you out there and party."

"Alright Lou we're ready how about everyone else?" Care asked jumping off the bed and going over to him.

"We're waiting on you guys let's go!" we heard Harry calling from the other room.

Harry, Caroline, Niall and I piled into one car and Louis, Eleanor, Zayn and Perrie climbed into the other. As we were driving on all I could think of was what a shitty time Danielle and I broke up. She turned the happiest time of the year into the worst for me this year.

"I wish Nat could've come out with us." Niall sighed. "She's always so fun on the New Years but her boyfriend wanted to be with his friends."

"You wish she was gonna be here? Really Niall. Do you understand how badly I wanted her here?" Harry groaned.

"Sorry mate, I know it's a sore subject for ya."

"Well you boys will just have to find a group of girls tonight and get in there." Caroline said.

Harry and I groaned, this was the worst time ever to be single, even worse than Valentine's. We pulled into the lot at the pub and walked in with the rest of our crew.

"Alright me and El are driving tonight so you guys do whatever you want, just don't make us pull over for you to throw up." Care joked.

"You guys are the best." Zayn said putting his arms around the two of them and kissing their cheeks.

"I just need a drink." I stated motioning for Harry to come with me.

We squeezed our way through everyone over to the bar and ordered a few shots and beers.

"How the hell did I f-fuck up so badly with Danielle. I can't believe everything ended like that I don't know what to do." I said to Harry after a few drinks.

My words were starting to slur together and my swearing picked up and I just kept ranting and ranting to him, I barely gave him time to input advice or words. I felt bad but I could not stop.

"Well, basically, things happen for some purpose, and maybe she was just not your journey." a nearly sober Harry said to me. "She may have been a stepping stone, or a detour, but she's not your journey."

"That's beautiful." I slurred.

"It really was, that was a nice one Harry." El said as she snuck up behind us with a group of other girls.

"El, the girls, p-please." I said with a wink.

"Alright Liam relax. These are a few of Nat's friends I ran into."

"We're missing Nat tonight, aren't we Harry?" I nudged him.

"I think it's time for you to have some water isn't it." He said grabbing at my drink.

"Aw Harry don't be a buzzkill."

El and Harry shared a look as they forced water on me.

_____________________________________________

(11:55 pm. Caroline's thoughts)

Niall and I were sitting at the bar smiling at each other. We were surrounded by a bunch of his friends from Mullingar. They were catching up and drinking brews and having the best time and I just loved watching Niall smile and laugh and enjoy himself. It was the sweetest thing.

"Hey we'll catch up with you all in a bit. Care follow me?" Niall said grabbing my arm.

He took me outside the pub after weaving through everyone else. It was late, and cold. I got close to him and snuggled under his arm into his build.

"You don't want to count down with everyone inside?" I asked him.

"No, I just want to be with you." He said as we sat on the curb.

"That was incredibly cliche."

"I know it but it's true. I've never had a New Year's with a girl before and just wanted it to be a special one. Here." he said handing me a box.

I opened it up to see my dog tags again, they were getting pretty full but I saw the new carvings. There was a little clover and a key.

"The key?" I asked.

"The apartment, some of my favorite memories are there and there should be more occurring there. And the clover is for Ireland and me of course." Niall said with a smile. "Look inside again."

I reached back into the box and took out a silver faced watch with a leather band.

"That was my Nan's, my mum has had it for years and years now and has never worn it, but after she met you she thought maybe you were the girl for it."

"That is so sweet of her, it's so beautiful." I said running my fingers over the worn brown leather. "Doesn't she want to save it though? I feel like I don't deserve it."

"We insist."

"I love it, thank you so much."

We heard some cheers and some crashes coming from inside. Niall placed his hands on my cheeks and pulled me in and kissed me for a long while.

"I guess I know what time to set the watch to." I laughed when we pulled away.

"Happy New Year my Sweet Caroline." he kissed me again. "Let's make it a good one."

I put my dog tags back around my neck and he put the watch on my wrist. I stood up and grabbed his hands to help him off the curb and we walked back inside squeezing through everybody. Niall went back off to his friends and I went in to check on Liam.

"Hey buddy, how are you doing?" I asked Liam as I approached him and Harry.

"Hey-y Care where've you been all night?" he asked slowly and carefully.

Harry gave me a wide-eyed look. I hadn't seen him this drunk before. Ever since he started drinking he had never gotten this bad but with the break up it has been increasing. Liam reached out to grab my shoulders and gave me a kiss on the mouth, another thing he hadn't done before, it did not feel right. Harry pulled him off of me.

"Easy mate. She's got a boyfriend." Harry said saving me.

"It's the New Year you kiss everyone on t-tonight!"

"Well, at least that explains you nearly kissing Zayn." Harry said under his breath while slipping more water into his drink.

"Liam it might be time to get you home. You don't look all that well." I said helping him off the bar stool.

"I'm f-fine. I'm g-great! Let's stay come on." He tried pleading with me.

"Harry, can you help him out I'm gonna go find everyone else." I asked.

"Yeah, sure I can manage him alright I think." He answered giving me a kiss on the cheek. "Happy New Year by the way."

"Thank you I'll meet you outside in say fifteen?"

"Meet you there."

I walked off to go find the rest of the crew as I watched Harry take Liam's arm and help him stumble off.

_____________________________________________

(The next morning. Harry's thoughts.)

I slept next to Liam up in the loft last night. I forced him to drink two bottles of water and take aspirin in his drunken stupor. I knew he was gonna be bad last night so I didn't drink much, I knew I'd have to take care of my best mate. I heard groaning coming from next to me.

"Why in hell did I drink so much last night." Liam groaned shielding the light from his eyes.

"You overdid it pal." I said reaching over to pat his arm.

"I gotta apologize to Care, I kissed everyone last night. I was so dumb. Sorry if I kissed you."

"At least you have memories from last night." I commented.

"Thanks for making me chug water I needed it."

"Wanna see if there's breakfast downstairs?"

"Yeah let me just get dressed."

I walked downstairs to see Louis, El and Care in the kitchen. They had coffee and tea on and were just putting breakfast out.

"Hey Harry, how'd last night go for you?" Eleanor asked.

"I was babysitting for a lot of it. Liam didn't do so well." I mumbled.

"I didn't think he would." Lou said.

I took a plate of food and cup of coffee and sat down on a bar stool. Niall emerged from his room and gave Care a kiss on the temple before sitting next to me. Liam was the next to show up to breakfast.

"What happened to you last night Liam? You look pretty dead." Niall commented.

"I drank way too much and kissed literally every girl I saw. I'm really so sorry Caroline." he apologized.

"That was one of the weirdest things I've ever experienced in all honesty." She joked to him.

"Oh my god you kissed her? She's like your sister this is amazing oh my god." Niall said before he broke out in laughter. "I can't believe this."

We laughed together a little longer and Zayn and Perrie began to join us. We picked up the kitchen and began to pack our bags. School was going to start up within the week and we wanted to get back home to spend the rest of the holiday with family.

It was a good start to a new year.

End of Chapter 29

xx

Ca.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.4K 353 28
After coming back from summer camp Riley Johnson was having a the time of her life having the chance to meet a boy and fell in love with him. then ou...
5.7K 207 33
Caroline and her friends are going to stay in London the whole summer before the start uni back in Sweden. But when Caroline sees the one she escaped...
4.1K 72 21
When 5 best friends run into One Direction at an Ed Sheeran concert, everything goes wrong. As each of the girls fall in love with a member, the one...
27K 600 17
Two teenagers, friends since they were young, but had to be separated by moving out. What happens after 11 years, as the other boy is forced to move...