Crime Control Squad

By ShwethaRamachandran

Case#1 - Murder in Disguise When an Ex-Army officer gets killed in a hit and run, Special Branch is caught in... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 3

111 11 2
By ShwethaRamachandran

"But I still don't understand why Special Branch is investigating a hit and run case?!!" exclaimed Vedant. Pictures of former national leaders who fought for the welfare of the country covered the wooden wall in front of him. The Commissioner's office was a decorated museum of national monuments and leaders. The table held the Sarnath Pillar and Qutab Minar on two corners of the long table. The absence of fresh air and the chillness of the air-condition hitting his face caused an unusual breathlessness resulting in more anger. Though he had persuaded his team to follow up the case, deep down he was furious with the way his team had been thrust with this case. "We already have a huge backlog of cases which include kidnappings, murders, rapes and burglary. A hit and run among this??" He stood breathing heavily, controlling his temper. Though proud of his patience, he could never tolerate unfairness and injustice.

"Please sit down Ved!" said the Commissioner, Jayant Rathore. He and Vedant had come a long way together in their career and understood each other very well. He clearly knew Vedant would be disappointed. Vedant took the seat on the other side of the table. He wiped his sweat filled forehead and relaxed himself. "Understand Ved, there are various other factors involved. The victim was in the Army which in itself makes it high profile. The crime rate in our city is really high and adding this case to that makes it even worse! Media has already started poking and it wouldn't be long when this case becomes the talk of the city. I want to show that the police has given top priority to the case by letting the Special Branch deal with it. Everyone knows your team is a very capable team and hence..."

Vedant shook his head in disapproval. "You know I don't work to please others. There are more serious cases..."

"This case is as important as the rest," said Jayant firmly. "There is also a victim here, and a criminal on the run. I want you to find him for me as soon as possible before things go haywire. Got it?"

"Why will things go haywire if the case is a direct hit and run, Jay?" questioned Vedant instantly. "Is there something you aren't telling me?"

The Commissioner stayed silent without breaking eye contact with Vedant. He could see the determination in Vedant's eyes. He knew he wouldn't leave the place without an answer.

"What do you know about the Kiran rape case?" asked Jayant.

"Kiran rape case? Hmmm...," Vedant removed his spectacles and rubbed his eyes trying to recollect the case.

"It's a 5 year old case. 13 year old girl raped and murdered in a deserted lane behind the colony where your victim Veerkaran Singh lived."

"He was involved in this case?" Vedant asked with surprise. "How come the database didn't throw up this detail?"

"Veerkaran didn't want his name to be used anywhere in the case records. So we used an alias. He was one of the prime witnesses. The case went on for more than a year before the judgment was passed in favour of the girl..."

"Who was the convict?"

"Samar Lala! Gangster with huge support from..."

"I know...But all this doesn't make any sense..."

"The guy was out on parole last week," Jayant clarified Vedant's confusion. Vedant sat silently understanding the case might not be as simple as he had expected it to be.

"I want this case closed and the criminal caught as soon as possible. I also want to know if this hit and run is anywhere connected to the Kiran rape case. I don't want the media involved even for the slightest bit."

"Keeping the media away for long would be near to impossible. They might have already made the connection. But I would do my best. I would also need the case file of the rape case..."

"I'll try but..."

"If you want me to find if there is any connection, then I would need to know everything about the case...and "I" here means my entire team." The authority in his voice couldn't be hidden. "In case if we find anything or anyone suspicious, we would need to interrogate people involved in the case again. I would also want to meet the officer in-charge of the case." Vedant looked at the commissioner with his eyes expecting only a positive answer. The Commissioner didn't have a choice but to accept it. "I'll send in the files. But be very careful."

"If you think this case has anything to do with the rape case, then you better check on the security of the other witnesses and the girl's family."

---------

The numerous vehicles parked haphazardly in the street and the huddle of people standing in front of a gate pointed at the Singhs residence. Vikram and Heera stood in front of the opened main door, looking around. A well maintained garden exhibiting colourful plants stood on the right side, while a covered car took position on the left side.

"I am so sorry for your loss Mrs Singh," said Heera.

Vikram and Heera sat in the huge living room at the Singhs residence. Many people, relatives assuming, dressed in white, stood in groups talking in a hushed voice, with eyes moving towards the officers from time to time with an accusing look. Few others were walking from room to room, with few others sitting by the portrait of the victim in tears. The women they wanted to have a conversation with sat in front of them, tired after crying a lot apparently.

"Ma'am, we would like to ask a few questions if it is Ok. I know it's a very difficult time," spoke Heera confidently yet compassionately. She could easily connect to Mina Singh's loss.

"How long will the post-mortem take?" asked Mina. Being the wife of a former army officer had taught her to stay strong even in adverse situations, even if it was at the death of her own husband.

"We will let you know as soon as it's over," said Vikram. He paused before he asked, "Your son?"

"He is on his way from New York," she replied sniffing.

"Mrs Singh! Can you tell me where Mr Singh was going yesterday night? 1 am is such an odd time," Heera questioned.

"He was actually coming back home. He got a call from his friend who was ill. He went to visit him at the hospital around 8 pm."

"Why did he take Mr Hariprasad's bike?" Vikram asked.

"The car wasn't working and since it was an emergency, he borrowed the bike. Hariprasad is a good friend..."

"When did you last speak to him?" asked Heera after letting a minute of silence.

"He called around 11.45 pm and said he was still with his friend and will return shortly," answered Mina.

"Which hospital?" Heera continued her questions.

"General Hospital," Mina continued answering without any emotion in her voice.

"Did he have any enemies or had fight with anyone in recent times?" asked Vikram unaware of the case Veerkaran was involved in. Mina stayed silent pondering if she had to answer that question.

"It will be better if you speak to our lawyer to get an answer for that," replied Mina safely leaving the two officers confused. "Any other questions?"

"Do your husband always take the JP Link road junction to return home from the hospital?" asked Vikram.

"Yes. He wasn't a rash driver either, very careful and responsible, always followed rules- seatbelt, helmet, everything...I am sure whoever came from the other side was speeding and...." Mina covered her face overwhelmed.

"Thank you for your time, Mrs Singh. If there is anything else, I hope you wouldn't mind us coming back," Heera concluded the interview knowing it would be wrong of them to pester more.

Outside the house, inside the car, Heera and Vikram went through their notes. "It's clear there is some case our victim was involved in, and hence the mention of the lawyer," said Heera.

"I'll check General hospital to ascertain when exactly Mr Singh left the hospital...You get back to the station and check on the case..." Vikram voiced his next plan.

"Did you notice? Mina said her husband called her. She also said he was a responsible driver. Yet...we didn't find his mobile or his helmet at the crime scene, did we?"

"So either Mr Singh wasn't in possession of both when the accident occurred..."

"Or both the items were cleared off the crime scene deliberately by the killer," Heera ended the statement.

-----------

"May I see the CCTV footage from early morning today?" asked Vikram to the security of the General Hospital. The family of Veerkaran's friend whom he had gone to visit, stated that Veerkaran left the hospital around 12 am when his friend went to sleep. Both had a quiet talk and nothing to be concerned about.

"If Veerkaran had left the hospital at 12 am, why did it take him nearly an hour to reach the junction when it is just a 15 minute ride from the hospital," wondered Vikram.

"Sir! This is the footage from yesterday night, main entrance," said the security.

"This is the only way to go to the parking lot?" asked Vikram.

"There is a back entrance also...Visitors can use both the entrances," informed the security.

"Let's check both the entrances then. I need to find this person," Vikram showed a picture of Veerkaran Singh. After 30 minutes of watching the footages, Veerkaran was finally found walking out of the back entrance at 12.20 am. "I need a copy of this footage," requested Vikram. "Also...I am sure every floor and elevators has CCTV too. Can you check the corridors of 7th floor during the same time frame?"

Within minutes, Vikram saw Veerkaran standing on the 7th floor corridor, talking furiously over the phone. The time was 12.05 am. Immediately, he took out his phone and called Charith. "Get the phone records of Veerkaran!"

------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145K 10.3K 36
Cop story.....
904 164 31
One of the well known twins of the slum gets murdered and the neighbors are pretty convinced on who the murderer is. A newly joined police officer is...
JUSTICE By Ash Udgata

Mystery / Thriller

85 0 5
Investigations begin when a man is found murdered, but the scenario may not be as clear as it seems at first.
59 4 10
A murder has happened and three detectives across the world from each other set out to solve it through online communications and finding clues in ea...