Let's Pretend My Tears Are Ra...

By Bixie101

Cancer: A malignant and invasive growth or tumor caused by abnormal cell masses, tending to recur after excis... More

Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops~~Description!! :D
Prologue to
Lets pretend my tears are raindrops--Chapter One
Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops Chapter 2
Chapter 3--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 4--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 5- Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 6--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 7--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 8--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 9--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter10--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 11--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 12--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 13--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
1/2 of Chapter 14--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 15--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 16--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 17--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 18--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 19--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 20--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 21--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 22--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops-Chapter 22
Chapter 24--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 25--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 26--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 27 Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 28--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 29--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter ?
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32-- Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 34--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 35-- Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 36-- Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 37--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 38--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 39--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops
Chapter 40--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops

Chapter 33--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops

1.6K 24 4
By Bixie101

Alright, back to Sam and Derek! Much happier, right?

Let me know what you think and I especially want to know how you guys are reacting to their relationship!! Thankkkkssssss!!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Chapter 33

      Coming across like I was trying too hard wasn’t good for the first “date,” but I also didn’t want him to think that I didn’t care. Luckily, we weren’t going anywhere fancy, so I decided to wear jeggings, a flowery tank from American Eagle with a white over-sweater, and cute white and blue boots.  I wound up topping it off with earrings and a silver necklace. My makeup was all done and my hair was almost all the way curled when my mom walked in.

     It wouldn’t have been such a bad thing, but she didn’t exactly know anything about this yet.

     “What is all this?” Her tone indicated that she had somewhat of a guess as to the answer of her question. “Why are you getting all dressed up?”

     “I—um…” I couldn’t find the words.

     All too soon the doorbell rand.

     “I can get that.” I said, rushing towards the bathroom door. I didn’t want my mom to worry about me. I wasn’t in so much pain anymore.

     “No, honey,” My mom said between clenched teeth, “it’s my house, my door, and I’m going to answer it.”

     I stood dumbfounded as my mom walked away. All of a sudden I heard Derek’s deep voice as he greeted my mom. The biggest thing I noticed was that my mom did not sound very happy. I took off pelting down the stairs.

     “Hi, Derek.” For a second I forgot what I was going to say when I saw how perfect he looked. “Maybe you should go wait in your truck. I’ll just be—”

     “No Derek. Stay right here. In fact, have a seat.” Derek sat down on the couch and glanced at me nervously. “So honey, tell me what is going on. Samantha failed to explain a few things.”

     “Mom.” I butted in. “I was going to tell you, but I never got around to it.”

     “Tell me what?” she stared me down. I knew she already knew.

     “Well, mom, Derek’s taking out tonight.”

     “Taking you out as two friends casually seeing a movie, or….” She asked suspiciously, knowing I knew what the second option was. All three of us were silent, not that Derek could’ve gotten more quiet anyways.

     “Mom.” I sighed, still not knowing what I’d say. “Brandon’s been gone for a while now.”

     “And?”

     “And I think I’m starting to move on.” I stuttered the words out of my mouth.

     “That means Derek’s—”

     “More than just a friend.” I finished her sentence. “Yeah. That’s what it means.”

     My mom stared at me for a long time before she finally looked down. She sat up straight and looked me straight in the eye. “Alright.” She said. “But if you ever decide that you aren’t ready for a boyfriend, I’m sure Derek will understand.” I nodded and hugged her, happy to her blessing. “As for you, kid,” she turned to Derek. “I’m gonna lay down the same guidelines that I gave to Brandon.”

     “Okay.” Derek said quietly.

     “First off, no more Mrs. Thomas. My name is Lisa and that is what I expect to be called. Do you understand?”

     “Yes ma’am.” Derek responded. I mentally slapped myself in the face.

     “What did you just say?” My mom asked in a joking tone.

     “I said, yes Lisa.” He corrected himself.

     “Good.” She cleared her throat. “Second, I expect my daughter to be under my roof by 10:30. If you want to keep her out late, call me and maybe we’ll talk.” There was a pause. “Third, I believe in honesty. If I ask you a question I expect a straight-forward answer. I don’t see you having any problems with that, but Brandon did.”

     “It won’t be a problem.”

     “Good.” She smiled. Samantha was so lucky to have a mom that cared about her so much. “Those are my three big rules. Other than that there are a few more obvious ones. No drugs, alcohol, or illegal activities. Keep your clothes on. No sex, no bars, no babies, no—”

     “Okay mom. That’s enough.”

     Blood rushed to my face and I was aware that I looked like a tomato. Derek stood up and shook my mom’s hand, which didn’t help the embarrassment, but at least it meant I was getting out of there soon. “Thank you.” Derek said through his perfect lips. My mother opened the door.

     Be back by ten. No foolish business.” I rolled my eyes, but on my way out she grabbed my sleeve. “Have fun.” I couldn’t help but give her a quick hug before I took the biggest chance of my life.

     “Where are we going?” I asked while we drove down Fawn Lane.

     “Well, there was this one restaurant, but it was booked.”

     “So then what?” I asked.

     “It’s up to you.”

     I sighed. “I’m indecisive. The guy is always supposed to pick the date anyways.” I told Derek.

     “Why is that?” He inquired, looking at me from his mirror.

     “I guess it’s so you can woo me.” It felt awkward saying the words so I looked out the window, hoping he didn’t see how red my face was.

     “How do I do that?” He asked.

     “Figure out something romantic.”

     After that, he pondered so hard that I could almost feel his brainwaves. When an idea finally came to him his expression changed so quickly you’d think he’d run into a brick wall. Derek took a sharp right turn and took off down the highway. Ten or so minutes later, he drove through Culver’s and ordered a couple hot chocolates. Immediately after that, he got off the highway and drove back the way we’d come.

     Through everything that was going on we talked. I told him about Utah. I told him about my first time going to Arches National Park, trying to explain the beauty. I came clean about all the nights I’d cried myself to sleep since I’d moved to Michigan and how I’d felt so worthless. I also came clean about how he’d changed that.

     We also discussed the letter he’d sent me. There were no words for how he’d made me feel, but I tried to explain it anyways.

     Then we stopped.

     To be honest, I wasn’t quite sure where we were. Mostly it looked like an empty lot of land. He parked the truck. “Stay there.” He said., and stared at me. “I want to be able to remember how perfect you look forever. I never want you image to leave me.”

     “Don’t worry. I’m not going anywhere.”

     Derek’s whole face lit up. “Good.” He tucked a lock of hair behind my ear. Our moment ended just as soon as it came. “Well,” Derek cleared his throat., making it awkward. “I might have had some idea of what I wanted to happen on this date, so I came prepared.” He clicked open the glove box, pulled out a bandana, and tied it to my head. “Stay put.” Was the last thing I heard before he scrambled to get some more stuff and went outside in the cold.

     A few minutes later I felt him next to me. It was embarrassing because I couldn’t stop smiling. “Ready, Smiley?” he asked.

     “I guess so.” I said.

     Derek laughed under his breath and left the truck, leaving me by myself with no sense of direction. Seconds later he opened my door.

     Strong arms wrapped around my body and before I knew it, I was being carried around. With a clunk, Derek set me down on the bed of the truck. “Keep your eyes closed.” I could feel the warmth of his breath on my neck. His rough hands untied the bandana while I kept my eyes squeezed shut. “One,” he paused, “Two,” I felt an urgent jolt of anticipation, “Three.” My eyes flew open.

     My heart fluttered.

     In front of me Derek had a picnic set up that was so perfect I blew my mind. There was a classic checkerboard picnic blanket set out on the truck. In the middle of the blanket there was a picnic basket. All or the food was set around the basket so vividly that you’d swear he’s spent hours making it perfect, not just minutes.

     “It’s….” I was speechless. There weren’t words for a moment like that.

     “Do you like it?” Derek tried to mask his worry.

     “Honestly, Derek,” I tried finding a worthy way of putting it, “nobody has ever done something so sweet for me. It’s beautiful.”

     “Yes you are.”

     We both smiled and I shook my head. “I’m not beautiful. I’ve never been beautiful. I never will be beautiful. And I’m sorry I can never be good enough for you, but thank you for accepting me anyway.”

     “Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.” He handed me a plate and a peanut butter sandwich. Then he loaded the plastic bowls with two heaping piles of chips and gave that to me too. The hot cocoa from Culvers was already there, so I took a sip, starting to freeze. Derek put his jacket on my shoulders.

     “When did you turn into such a gentlemen?” I asked, meaning it rhetorically.

     “Shit happens.”

     I laughed and took a bite of my sandwich. “So,” I asked, “how many other girlfriends have you had?”

     “Two. Rebecca and Amanda.”

     “Both from Ohio?”

     “Yeah. They didn’t last long.”

     “But that’s how you figured out how to make a girl feel so special?” I asked.

     “No.” He replied. “I’m making you feel special because you really are special.”

     Usually I’d have something to say, but at that point I was just grateful that he knew all the right things to say. For a while we both ate in silence. It was twilight; that dark shade of blue-filled sky. Also, the sandwich was surprisingly good.

     “Would it bother you if I always called you Samantha?” Derek asked.

     “Not really.”

     “Good, because I don’t really like calling you Sam. It cuts you short.” I blushed, not sure what he was getting at.

     “Did you know that Brandon didn’t have a chance at surviving his cancer?” I asked quietly. Derek shook his head. “It was a really rare type. My mom begged me to break up with him. She didn’t want to see me hurting.” I whispered. “But I stayed with him anyways, because I loved him.”

     “I know. You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to.” Derek murmured.

     I ignored him and carried on. “I’m glad I did what I did, Derek. Brandon taught me so much,” I paused, “but you’ve taught me even more.”

     Derek shook his head, his blond hair blowing wildly out of place. “I’m not sure that I understand.”

     “You taught me how to keep on going. Even though I lost Brandon, I had the strength to move on because of you. In that letter you wrote me you said that I was your hero, but in reality, I think you are mine.”

     Neither of us said a word, but Derek’s dark eyes pierced mine. He was so close to my face that I thought he’d kiss me. He never did. Instead he hopped down from the tailgate.

     “Dance with me.” He whispered and helped me down from the truck. He held his arms outreached, but I hesitated.

     “There’s no music.”

     “Dance with me.” He repeated insistently. I hopped down from the truck and took his hands in mine. He held me tightly to him around my waist and I rested my head on his chest. The whole time we rocked back and forth I couldn’t stop myself from shaking.

     There in the middle of nowhere, I lost track of time and also my heart. I thought maybe, just maybe, I could give love a second chance.

     Once we’d been swaying back and forth for a long time, he pulled back just a few inches and stared into my eyes. After what felt like too soon, Derek picked my up, sat on the ground, and sat me on top of him. I looked deeper to his eyes than I’d ever done before, although it was too dark to really see anything.

     “My mom and I used to lie on the lawn and count the stars until I fell asleep.” He told me almost inaudibly. “If I lost count she’d tell me to start over.” I could see his face travel to years back. He was reliving the moment. There was a bright smile on his face as his mind remained somewhere in the distance.

     His arms wrapped around me and he laid me back on his chest. “I’ve never told anybody that before.”

     The way he whispered to me made me wonder why he told me all the little things. For a moment nothing mattered but him and I. Brandon was non-existent. I’d never had a broken heart and it would never become broken because it would always belong to Derek.

     “One.” I started to count. “Two, three, four, five, six….”

     “Seven, eight, nine, ten…”Derek continued for me. A cold breeze swept across us and Derek held onto me just a little bit tighter. For whatever reason, my mind was letting go. My logic was completely gone. I wanted him to kiss me; and really kiss me.

     Just as I leaned towards his lips, he jolted up and took my hand. “We should probably get going.” Derek commented. “Your mom said I had to have you back by 10:00.”

     “What time is it?” I asked.

     “Quarter to eleven.”

     I bit my lip. “Oh.”

     We both hopped in the truck without another word. Derek drove one-handedly and held my hand with his other hand. There wasn’t much to say, but his actions told me more than words ever could’ve. It was the first time I could believe he was really crazy for me. Maybe, I decided we were more than friends even though I’d had my doubts.

     Three or four miles before my house was insight my phone started to vibrate. Letting go of Derek’s hand, I answered it. “Hello?” I asked into the receiver.

     “Where are you? Are the roads bad?”

     “No, mom. We just lost track of time. I’ll tell you all about it when I get home. I’m only a couple of minutes away.”

     “Okay. I love you.”

     “Love you too, mom.”

     “Bye.” We both said and hung up. Derek glanced at me from the corner of his eye.

     “Is she mad?” He ventured.

     “No, no. Just worried.” I assured him. “She thought the roads were bad.”

     “Oh.” He laughed and took hold of my hand again. “I really want your mom to like me.” He whispered. My body moved a little closer to Derek.

     “She does like you. Sometimes I think she likes you more than she likes me. You are all she ever talks about. You should hear her.” I promised “’Honey is Derek coming over tonight?,’ ‘Why don’t you invite Derek for supper?’ ‘Derek is a good kid, Sammy,’ ‘He really takes care of you, Samantha.’” I reenacted our lost conversations. Derek’s laugh rang out loudly next to me.

     “Does she really say all those things?”

     “I wouldn’t lie to you.” I said. His Chevrolet came to a stop right there in my own driveway. I didn’t notice until I finally looked up. “Oh, wow. I guess I have to go.”

     To put it quite simply, the night had been perfect and I really wanted to kiss him. I leaned closer to him and when he looked over at me, I moved even closer. His face came nearer to mine, but he quickly pulled away before I got the chance to kiss him.

     “I’ll walk you in.” He said.

     “O-okay.” I was taken aback.

     Slowly, we walked to my porch hand-in-hand, which still left me confused. Every person I’d gone out with had been more interested in making out than talking; even Brandon. This date was great, but it seemed to be ending awfully confusing.

     “Sorry we didn’t go anywhere too special. Just wait until the summer and then I can take you on a real picnic.” He murmured with his hand on my shoulder. “I hope you had a nice time.”

     “I had an amazing time.”

     I smiled and leaned towards him.

     “Well that’s good.” Derek took a step back. “I guess I should get going then.” He cleared his throat.

     “Hey.” I interrupted.

     “Yeah?”

     “I just thought you might want to know that I took down Brandon’s picture. I’m moving on and it’s all because of you.” I said. Derek came a few steps closer and took my hand in his. “I guess I owe you a thank you.”

     “You,” he touched his hand to my jaw, “don’t owe me anything.” His hand stayed on my face for the longest time. We stared into each other’s eyes and for a few seconds, nothing quite mattered. It was just me and him.

     And then, when we were finally ready, we ended the sweetest of nights with the sweetest of kisses.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Did you like it? Did you vote, comment, like on facebook, tweet, add to your bookshelf, and ENJOY it??? Ha, maybe I should find something new to say every time! Oh, and random question--Favorite author?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

654K 21K 25
"Being mute isn't a disability. It just means that God loves you so much that He took away your voice so that you don't hurt others verbally. You see...
512K 9.1K 46
Nick and Elle. They were the perfect couple. Young, cute, smart, rich, spoiled, and different--they were a match made in heaven. Nick let his perfect...
546 1 21
Choosing her cost me everything I'd ever loved... including her. I had everything a guy could ask for, a loving family, the perfect small-town life...
9.4K 290 38
So I have this thing. Some people would call it a catastrophe; some would call it heart breaking. It also has the name of disease, and heart killer...