What's your Price?

By IvoryAuthor

*Book 1 of the Lockstar Series* (Slowly editing) Con artist. Mechanic. Thief. Illusionist. Hacker. A... More

Prologue- What's your Price?
Chapter 1- Crappy Coffee and not so gay friends
Chapter 2- Baristo
Chapter 3- Profiles
Chapter 5- Fireworks
Chapter 6- Bedazzled Jacket
Chapter 7- Next Step
Chapter 8- Not that Narnia
Chapter 9- Stealing Hope
Chapter 10- I want my money
Chapter 11- Get the money and run
Chapter 12- Road Trip!
Chapter 13- When in Doubt use the Bathroom Route
Chapter 14- Mechanic's Influence
Chapter 15- A Criminal's Choice
Chapter 16- There goes my cover
Chapter 17- The Cleaner
Chapter 18- Honeymooners Cell Phone
Chapter 19- Bonjour Lockstar
Chapter 20- It was a fast minivan
Chapter 21- Mommy Dearest
Chapter 22- An Irish Born Affair
Chapter 23- Suits and Veils
Chapter 24- Workout Loving
Chapter 25- The Seductress
Chapter 26- A Panda's New Year
Chapter 27- Dont say Marco unless you want Polo to respond
Chapter 28- Oh My Assassin
Chapter 29- The Damsel
Chapter 30 - A Birthday Past
Chapter 31- Media Bait
Chapter 32- Meet your Stalker
Chapter 33- Checkmate
Teaser Chapter

Chapter 4- Trip to Lithuania

11K 230 19
By IvoryAuthor

Chapter 4

Date: April 18th

Location: Airplane flying to Lithuania

Time: Hell if I know

The flight was 11 hours long and it was absolute torture. We had to stop at New York to drop some people off that were sane enough not to choose to stay in a metal beast for this long and refueled before we went back up in the air.

The four other people in first class was the chic woman, English accent male, temper male and cautious woman. Chic kept looking over at me every now and again like she knew something. So along with paranoia I have her checking to see if I was some crazy woman. The other three people paid her no mind but I could tell they were getting curious as to who she was looking at. All the other people in first class were dropped off at New York.

I was reading the Poison Study hoping that time passes more quickly but it just drags on. I was at the part were the main character Yelena was hiding in the trees for one of the troops tests. Just as she jumped on the ground from the paranoid feeling of being followed did I hear movement and someone sit in the seat the isle over from me. I don’t look up and keep reading rubbing at the corner of my eyes wishing that my eyes weren’t so noticeable that I didn’t need to cover them up.

“Contacts?” My head snaps up to see chic sitting in the seat smiling kindly at me. Her friends or companions turned around to get a look at who she was talking too.

“Yeah.” I say shortly and go back to reading, this usually meant end of conversation but she wasn’t stopping there.

“Colored I’m presuming since they seem to be irritating your eyes, what color are they? Your eyes?”

“Blue.” I say thinking of the first color in my head; at least I didn’t say they were orange.

“But why wear contacts on a flight this long if they hurt you.” I finally look up to see temper. He is a very good looking guy as much as I hated to admit. He was like a perfect version of a California guy, beach blonde hair, blue eyes, nice tan, muscular like a volleyball player. Crap I’m drifting and I’m supposed to answer.

“I’m running from someone.” Not the truth you moron! Their interests peaked as they turned to get a better look at me.

“Really.” It was the cautious woman but seeing her now she didn’t look cautious, she looked like she would rob from the president and jump out of a 40 story building for fun on the weekends. Her brown hair was pulled in a tight ponytail not a single strand out of place. Her hazel eyes just screamed mischievous and danger. “Who?”

“Uh I don’t really want to talk about it but it’s the reason why I’m wearing the contacts.” I look back down at the book in an effort for them to stop talking to me but I failed miserably.

“Why don’t you want to talk about it?” The one with the English accent asked. It seemed weird that he would have that accent since he doesn’t look like anyone from England. My eyes narrow and I lightly glare at him.

“Because it’s none of your business.” I say through clenched teeth and pull out my June (iPod) and put the headphones in so I didn’t have to listen at anymore of their attempts at small talk. Chic got up and went back to her seat but this time they took turns staring at me. These people were more annoying than they were frightening and I wish I could leave but I didn’t feel like jumping out of a plane anytime soon.

“What’s your name?” California asked me. I look up at him briefly meeting his blue eyes.

“Marge Samson, yours? Or should I just call you Tommy Hilfiger?” He doesn’t seem to like the name and I start to scroll through my music. What am I in the mood for today?

“How old are you?”

“20.”

“You don’t look 20.”

“I have a young face.” And I was just one year away from being 20 but I realized the more these people irritated me the easier it was to lie to them.

“Why are you going to Lithuania?” Danger woman asks.

“Again I don’t think that’s any of your business.” I finally put it on shuffle and the music starts playing loudly through the headphones so I wouldn’t have to hear them. A few minutes later they gave up and started to fall asleep but Cali kept looking at me. “It’s rude to stare California.”

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

After hours and hours of sitting on the plane the pilot finally announced that we were landing and to turn off all electronic devices. I turned off my June and finished the last of my water and tossed it in the garbage bag they were bringing around. My eyes were watering by this time and the first thing I would do once we landed was get to a bathroom and take these things off.

We landed smoothly and the pilot thanked us for joining them on the flight and to have a nice day. Here the time was 4:00 p.m. I yawned not having gone to sleep because of the contacts and because of the creepy people in front of me. Chic gave me one last look along with England, Danger, and California before they exited the plane. Good riddance I never wanted to see them again.

I grabbed my bag and stretched one last time before exiting the plane. Here the weather is supposed to be relatively the same back in the U.S but was warmer from time to time. The thermometer outside read 63 degrees and I was more than happy to bask in the warmth.

Finding a bathroom was easy and as soon as I made sure that no one was looking I took off the contacts and blinked in relief. My vision was a little hazy but after blinking a few more time I could see normally again. I took off the wig and ran a brush through my tangled blonde hair before putting it up in a ponytail.

Safe at last.

I exited the bathroom and grabbed one of the local newspapers for Kaunas looking at the home options. I was way too young to pass off as a business woman so I would have to act like a college student that was on a foreign adventure and in the sense I was but not under the regular circumstances.

I find the conveyor belt to see that most people had their luggage and were leaving to get their rental car or go to their hotel; unfortunately the other first class passengers were still there. I grimace but then see my bag which I quickly grab and try and get used to the weight, my body felt like jelly and I was suffering from some serious jet lag.

I turned around and walked back to the exits so I could get a cab and hopefully find an apartment or hotel before the night was over. Out of the corner of my eye I see England staring at me with wide eyes and then mutter something to his friends before pointing to me. Oh crap. They started to follow me and I picked up my pace hoping to be subtle about it.

I walked outside and the nice warm air kissed my face and the sun was still shining brightly. There weren’t a lot of people here waiting for cabs and I was out in the open. I take a right trying to find an available taxi that I can take before they find me. I see them come out of the doors looking before they spotted me.

“Taxi?” A small dark brown man asked pointing to his car and I nod quickly. I put my stuff in the back and he gets in the driver seat. Once I’m in he starts to drive. “Where to?”

“Kaunas.” I say slightly out of breath, my heartbeat was returning to normal. I turn around to see the four people looking at the cab frowning. They had a defeated look on their face but I didn’t understand why or why they gave me such a weird feeling.

I shrugged it off and opened the newspaper I had acquired. Let’s see I need a small apartment one bed, one bath, one kitchen, move in today, no roommate. If I need to leave I don’t want them to ask any questions or get involved in my mess too. I find a nice apartment that was only 350 euro’s per month out of the city centre which was $500 in U.S currency, in my haste to get out I couldn’t convert the money I had. I dialed the number and waited patiently before a woman with a heavy accent answered.

“Hello?”

“Hi this is Marge Samson I’m calling about the apartment you have for rent.”

“Oh yes, yes, you want to stay?” Her English was very rusty but I gave her points for effort.

“Yes, is there a place we could meet?”

“Yes we meet at the Mėlyna Smuklė, it’s a tavern. I’ll wait at one of the tables outside.” I say a quick goodbye and tell the cabbie in Lithuanian, makes it easier for everyone, to go to the tavern.

About 20 minutes later we pull up to a small blue building that looks run down but is still thriving with business. I gave the cabbie the amount in U.S dollars before thanking him and grabbing my duffle. I see a woman with very tan skin from long sun exposure sipping at her drink her eyes lighting up when she sees me.

“Ms. Samson!” She calls and I resist the urge to look around for the person she is calling. I smile and walk over to her and sit down in one of the metal chairs. She asks mundane questions, how was your flight, did you have any trouble finding the place?

“So about the cost for rent.” I start starting to get into character again. When you are acting like someone who you aren’t play their part to a ‘T’. That means if you are a college student there is a 99% chance you are poor so you haggle down the price as much as you can even if you do have money. “How about 300 euro’s?”

“Alright.” What the…. that was easy. Seeing my bewildered face she continues. “No one rent apartment because they don’t have enough money or they aren’t staying here for very long. Shall we go see apartment?”

“First do you know anywhere that I can convert my money?” She stands up and drops a few euro’s on the table and grabs my arm hoisting me up to and grabs the duffle.

“Yes, yes, on the way there. Come.” We walk down the streets and she starts telling me the best places to eat, shop, or hang out at. There is a nice little coffee shop a few blocks from my house, a café that’s three blocks away. Kaunas restaurants always seem to have the best food if you know where to look for. Some people speak English but not all, so you should know some of the native tongue in case you need help or are lost.

We stop at a brick building this time and she drags me into the air conditioning waiting patiently as I give the man my money and for him to return it. He looks a little shady so I count the money to see if he gave me the correct amount before putting it back in my wallet.

The lady’s name that was dragging me around town was Rae, she was 43, had two kids, a boy and a girl, and lived in Kaunas her whole life. She was a good woman that I felt comfortable around; she didn’t give the vibe off like those other people on the plane gave me so I had no worries that she was going to kidnap me anytime soon.

When we reached the building it was 6:47 p.m. but I was within minutes of passing out. I hadn’t slept for 24 hours and I had no caffeine fix so Rae made sure to get me to the apartment building quicker. The building looked relatively new and up to date with all the latest electronics.

Inside the floors were bright and shiny not a speck of dust, the air conditioner hummed, and the receptionist at the front desk gave me a smile probably knowing I would be here for a long time. As I surveyed the building and start to walk around I almost slip on the floor and make a fool out of myself. My god, the cleaning people must spend all their time waxing the floors here too! There was a lobby to the right and it was empty except for one man who was reading a newspaper. He was wearing suit pants that were cleanly pressed, his legs were crossed, and he had perfectly shined shoes.

Rae and I go up to the front desk and the paranoia feeling is starting to seep in again. What if they find me? What if the people on the plane find me? Why am I so nervous? I concluded that it must just be the jet lag and fill out a form for the receptionist having my name, phone number, all the basic information they needed from me. She welcomes me to the building and says that there is a spare key at the front desk in case I lost mine, Rae had the original.

I nodded and smiled my thanks and shifted the duffle over to my other shoulder feeling the weight starting to take its toll. We go to the elevator and Rae presses the small button and waits patiently for it to come down. The doors finally squeak open and we head inside, Rae presses the number 3. And just as the door closes I realized something, the whole time we were there the man never turned a page. Must be a really slow reader like Sam I lie to myself in my head before other paranoid thoughts started to traumatize me.

We reach room 306 and Rae pulls out an old gold key and unlocks the door and we walk in. It’s nice and a little bigger than the size of a studio apartment but nice, I didn’t need to be living in luxury. Rae told me that there is a washer and dryer in the basement that is free to use to all who live here, the people who run the apartment building just charge you a little extra and it beats walking a mile to the closest  Laundromat.

The bed is stripped and the room is bare, basically what I expected for a rented apartment to be, I needed to buy stuff to fill it up with. Another yawn escaped my lips; eh I’ll do that tomorrow. Rae wishes me a goodnight and says that we will meet up tomorrow so she can show me around town. She closes the one window that I had saying that it would get cold at night and gives me the key and wishes me a goodnight and tells me to promise to lock the doors. I nod yawn again and lock the door once she leaves.

I go over to the kitchen to find the refrigerator running but empty along with all the cupboards. The bathroom was nice and clean and looked sterile and the bed was pretty comfy. I stripped out of my day clothes and put on my p.j’s that I dug from the bottom of my duffle and curled up on the bed wishing for a blanket.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don’t know how long I was asleep but I woke up to darkness. I sat up and looked around to find nothing out of place. My backpack was still by the door and my duffle still lay by the bed. I stand up and stretch and go to the bathroom to wash my face feeling greasy from the long trip. Once I turned the light off I walked back over to the bed and checked the phone to see what time it was.

2:26 a.m.

God the middle of the night. I turn off the phone to save the battery and sit on my bed making a mental checklist of what I should get tomorrow.

Sheets.

Food.

Drinks.

Television.

Shampoo.

Hair dryer.

God this was making me fall asleep. I lie back down and feel cool air brush my face. I thought I turned that air conditioner off. I shot up in my bed my body growing ice cold. I never turned it on to begin with. I turn on the light and see that the one window was wide open.

I walk over to it wishing I had some form of weapon. I stuck my head out to find nothing. The room had a view of a few stores and shops around here but there were no fire escaped which while unsafe meant that no one could get in here easily but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t.

I shut and lock the window taking a few breaths to calm myself before searching the place. Everything was exactly where I left it. The clothes in my duffle were unharmed and the fake i.d’s in the secret patch were still there. Everything was in order; I must have slept walked over to the window and opened it. That was the only explanation I could think of, not that any of my friends told me that I have slept walked but nothing was out of place, no one was here but Rae and me.

I walk over to flip off the slight switch when something else caught my eye. Someone was in here but must have left when I woke up.

Fear shook through me as I relocked the front door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 99 11
¡Currently on hold! *This story involves many events that some people may find vulgar. These events are not based on a true story. The characters and...
106 34 17
I will kill him. I will mutilate him. I will make him hurt. And he'd never want to be alive again. After Luna was almost murdered by the doppelgänger...
2.1K 35 63
'"Why is this mission so important? I don't care anymore so can it just be over? Before they find anything else about me?" I ask, finding information...
Once, Twice, Sold By Alice

Mystery / Thriller

180K 4.5K 39
*Book 3 in the Lockstar Series* We thought it had been over, that we had won, that we were safe. We were wrong. While Lockstar was gone and Michael...