Chapter 10- I want my money

Chapter 10

Date: July 30th

Location: Hilton Hotel, Chicago

Time: 3:26 p.m.

I lay on the bed looking up at the harsh light and white ceiling. The jewel was in my hand and I turned and twisted it every which way to see its beauty in the light. The blue was more prominent but the violet still glimmered out. Strange and unique.

The bed bounced and I looked to see that John had plopped down on the bed next to me wrinkling the finely pressed sheets. The benefit of being a criminal is that you can chill in style. Right now we were at the Hilton in Chicago that had beds so nicely made you could bounce a quarter off of them. We left right after we took the jewel and a certain bug made the x-rays in security at the airport go haywire for a minute.

He turned on the television and scooted up so he could rest on the back board of the bed. I looked at him distracted by the noise and intrusion. His blue eyes stared back at mine as if to say 'so what'. I sigh and put the diamond back in its case before scooting up on the bed too.

"It was reported earlier this morning that the Hope diamond is fake. A famed jewel specialist scheduled for coming in this morning looked to see that the jewel wasn't the real one. So far police have no leads or suspects. The estimated time that the jewel was stolen July 27th when alarms went off and the exhibit was closed down for over an hour, at which time the police believe the perpetrator made their move." John the hit mute as the man kept going on and on most likely about the point of entry and if anyone saw someone carrying around an over sized jewel to report it.

"Maybe this wasn't such a good idea," He murmured.

"Why not?" I ask sarcastically already knowing the answer. "Could it be the fact that by stealing something this big could attract attention to us?"

"I thought you were happy your first heist went off without a hitch and that we are now living in a deluxe suite for the time being."

Yes it was nice that this room was further proof that we could work together as a team, but there were other ways we could have, should have, tested it. 

"I won't lie, this is nice but I don't like the feeling of someone getting closer or following our tracks. We could have stolen something that wasn't of as much value or importance." The jewel was beautiful and memorizing but ever since we got it that damn paranoid feeling came back again. Now I was just waiting for the firework guy to try and take another shot at me.

"What's done is done. We'll sell it and then ride off into the sunset." I raise an eyebrow at his comment, but otherwise don't say a word.

All of a sudden I hear a door slam and loud arguing. Living with four other people is not a joy, let me tell you that, and it was starting to get on all of us. The lack of space and privacy, the constant hovering and talking. I was a night person, Iris was a morning person, John liked to listen to music without headphones and Matt liked quiet. As for Fran...... well she just sat back and watched us bite each other heads off. 

Matt and Iris came in the room still very much involved in their heated debate. I sighed and flexed my fingers (something all of them found irritating, John didn't even know why I did it) as I got ready to calm down another quarrel. I can't believe living with each other for only a mere few days has resorted us to this already.

"This is fine!" Iris yelled at him holding up a flash drive that mostly held the amount of money we wanted to receive in return of the diamond.

"No it's not; no one is going to take you seriously!" Matt yelled back his accent coming out thicker in the heat of the argument.