Always the Bridesmaid, Never...

By dianadonut0713

Megan Brooks grew up in a family of five younger sisters. Now she's a 28 year old woman that has a paying jo... More

The Engagement
Meeting
Sarah
Preparing for the First Date
First Date
What are We?
News
Visiting
Awake
1 month later
Get Ready for the Goodbye, because its all Ive ever known....
Fixer Uper
3 Miserable Months
The Proposal
Wedding Planning
A Blissfull Day
Mellisa's Wedding
Confrontation
Miscommunication
Last Chapter
Epilogue

Broken Off Engagement

6.8K 192 8
By dianadonut0713

I woke up the next morning in a complete daze. I had no idea what I was going to do with Jack. I thought I loved him, but how can you love someone who left you for someone else? Especially when they were getting married.

Almost on command my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hey its Jack. Great news, I broke off the engagement with Natalie. She and Troy are now raising THIER baby together! Thank you Megan for making me do the DNA test again. Now we can be together again!"

"I don't know." I said.

"What don't you know?"

"If I want to get back together. You've changed Jack."

It was quiet on the other end, and then he spoke.

"Please let me show you I'm still the man you fell for!"

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try again, to start over. But I wanted some advice from someone I hadn't seen in almost a year, someone whose career is finally taking her places. Sarah.

"Can I get back to you in that Jack?"

"Uh..sure?" And then I hung up not wanting him to guilt me into saying yes. I then dialed a number I knew by heart.

"Hello?"

"Sarah!! It's Meg!"

"OMGOSH!!!!!! I've missed you so much! We haven't talked in forever. Tell me about Mr.Right!" I could hear her grin over the phone.

"Or Mr.Not so Right...." I said sadly.

"Tell me everything." And so I did.

~*~

"At least your life is interesting Meg, 2 guys are fighting over you. As for me the most interesting thing that's happened for me are the Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks."

"Come on your career is taking off! You're in the big apple for Petes sake!" Right after I said it I felt guilty, our whole conversation has only been about me, not her.

"Yeah....Do you want advice or not about the guys?"

"I definitely do."

"Okay...well as I see it you should give Jack one more chance. He's had a lot on his plate and that Natalie girl seems like a total piece of work. As for Brandon I think it's best you stay in friendly terms until you figure out what's up with you and Jack. I'm not saying like really friendly terms but like stay in touch and stuff."

"I couldn't have thought of a more perfect plan. I love you Sarah!"

"I love you too, even if you are a little lost deer when it comes to dating." She laughed.

"Hey I have 2 guys who are drooling over me!" I said sarcastically even though it was sorta true.i heard Sarah laugh and then we said goodbye and that was that.

Maybe she was right, hey it wouldn't hurt to try. I called Jack up to give him my answer.

"Have you made up your mind?"

"Yeah...is the grove at 7 okay?"

"Perfect."

"Bye!" And then I hung up. Now what do I did about Brandon? Ugh why can't life be simple? Why can't a girl and a guy fall in love get married and have kids? My sisters lives are like that, all 5 of them with success, and then there's me.

I shut my eyes and sat down on my freshly vacuumed carpet, thank you Sarah for hiring those maids, I mentally said. I needed to take a break from my world, I needed to figure out if I still love Jack or if I love Brandon now. Brandon was so kind and caring, but was he someone I could look at as more than a friend? I probably not, but Jack, I feel something for him. He made me feel things words couldn't even describe but after 3 months I'm sure if I feel the same. Which makes this dession even harder. I need time, but i don't have much, especially when they could each change their minds.

Ugh, come on Megan lets just get ready for your date with Jack. You'll figure it out soon enough, I hope.

~*~

"-and then they all laughed!" Jack finished I fake laughed at his story. I quickly reached for my phone but Jack grabbed both my hands.

"Thank you for agreeing to see me! I wanted to start over." He said.

"Yeah no problem..."

"Megan, I still have feelings for you and I know deep down you love me too. No matter what happened, our love is stronger." It hurt to hear this coming from him, he was so in love and I barely give him the time of day. I thought I loved him, or would be able to after we talked but, I do not think I'm in love anymore. And that makes our situation even more awkward.

~*~

"Megan?"

"Hmm...." I hummed while holding his hand and walking to the car.

"I wanted to give you something." And at that moment he pulled out a long rectangular blue box. He handed it to me and as I stared at it I felt guilty. Guilty for not loving him like he loved me.

"Let me put it on you.." He said reaching for the necklace. As he placed it on my neck I awkwardly smiled at him and touched the middle stone.

"Thank you Jack, for everything." And with that, he closed his eyes and moved close to my face. Was he about to kiss me? What am I suppose to do? His lips crashed to mine and when we finished the kiss I felt something. I don't know if it's love, but it was definitely something special. Maybe we did have a spark, maybe I just needed to let go of the past and try again. For real.

~*~

So here I am sitting on the carpet in my room staring at the wall as if it holds all the answers to my life. I needed a place to think, a blank space. It has been a heck of a year, I found love and in a blink of an eye and then I lost it. I found someone else but that backfired, and somehow now I have two people fighting over me. What is my life?

I needed more advice, I needed Sarah to come home already. But since she wouldn't be home for quite a while, I dialed her number and on the first ring she picked up.

"Hello?"

"Sarah!!"

"Megan! So tell me about your date..." She said after a pause.

"Well...it started out kind of awkward for me. I didn't think I had any feelings for him..."

~*~

"...and then we kissed! It was like there was actually hope in our relationship. But I was just holding back. I needed to stop holding back, and forget the past. This might be my one shot at happiness!"

"Yay! I knew you would fall in love with him again, you were made for each other. Now I gotta go! Bye!!"

"Bye!" And then the dial tone signaled the end of the call. Maybe my life was finally working out, maybe I was going to actually going to find Mr.Right. Maybe just maybe fairytales really do come true!

Buzzz

Brandon: Can we talk?

Oh yeah I forgot this is my life and not one of my sisters, of course there's a catch, and a issue that I haven't resolved.

~*~

I walked into Brandons apartment, where he invited me to talk about something. I had an idea but I was too confused and I didn't understand my feelings for him or Jack. His apartment was stunning. Casual but cozy, it reflected his personality well.

"Please have a seat." Brandon said while sitting on a white chair as I sat on a blue convertible.

"What's going on?" He asked getting to the point quickly, he seemed kind of mad and confused but mostly hurt.

"What?"

"I thought you were going to give me a chance.You went out with my brother yesterday."

"How do you know about that?"

"I have my ways. Now why? Why??"

"I just wanted to...I wanted to make sure that I didn't have feelings for him. He invited me out."

"Do you have feelings for him." He said sadness in his eyes.I couldn't see him like this.

"I guess not." I said trying to assure him. He wants buying it. "Why don't I make it up to you, come with me to my sister's wedding." He was taken aback, like he wasn't at all expecting this so soon. But I needed to bring a date to Melissas wedding to get my parents off my back about marriage and Brandon meeting my family would be good.

"I'd love go with you." Was all Brandon said.

"Great, it's this Saturday. I'll text you more info." And with that I bid him a goodbye and left his apartment. I was excited to go with him, I wanted my parents to be happy and stop worrying about me. But most of all I wanted to give him a chance.

~*~

As I drove out of Brandons driveway I wondered what Jack would think. Would it be awkward for him? Wait how would he even know? Exactly I was stressed out for no reason, Jack would never know.

~*~

Ring Ring

Caller ID- Mel

My heart basically jumped out of my chest. I missed talking to Mellisa about normal things. Ever since the engagement all we ever talk about is the wedding and since I'm the planner there was more than just a little bit of stress. Melissa was a total perfectionist!

Without missing a beat I answered the call and put it on speaker.

"Mel what's up?"

"MEG AHH!!! You finally picked up!" I looked down at my phone 7 missed calls, oops. "Hey I was wondering if you were going to bring a date to the wedding."

"Why?"

"Oh...you know mom and dad...and money..."

"You're a doctor and I planned the wedding. Since when is money an issue." I liked embarrassing Mel but I wanted to tell her about Brandon.

"Umm-"

"Relax Mel. Haha! I will be bringing a date for your information."

"EEK!!!! I'm so happy for you Megan! You know I was starting to loose hope and I thought that after-"

"MEL!"

"Sorry I got carried away, I'm just so happy for you. I can't wait to meet him! I'll see you at the wedding! Bye!"

I hung up shaking my head. She hasn't changed.

Im starting to combine chapters due to length issues. Hopefully this is better!
Like/comment! Thank you so much for over 400 views!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.8K 746 37
Megan had the perfect life-a life with a loving husband, a beautiful home, her dream job, and anything she could ever want for. That is, through the...
236K 6.9K 27
Amanda Auburn thought she had it all - a new job in the city, new friends, a co-worker with interest and a great boss. All that is about to change wh...
129K 9K 71
It's been three years since Zoey and Caleb brought their baby girl Cecilia into the world. Since then life hasn't slowed down for either of them. Zoe...
4K 385 30
After the 24-year-old, content creator and influencer Muna Amadi was betrayed by her boyfriend and bestfriend, she decided to move to New York for a...