My Best Friends Promise

By myfallingstars

An Alex Morgan and Tobin Heath friendship fanfic. More

Chapter One| The New Girl
Chapter Two| A Friendship is Born
Chapter Three| It's My Fight
Chapter Four| You're Not Fine
Chapter Five | You're Safe Now
Chapter Six| Come Home
Chapter Seven| It's Been So Long
Chapter Eight| Into The Future
Chapter Nine| Not A Goodbye
Chapter Ten| Missing You
Chapter Eleven| Broken Promises
Chapter Twelve | I Won't Let Go
Chapter Thirteen | Reuniting
Chapter Fourteen | When Can I See Her
Chapter Fifteen | Recovering
Chapter Sixteen | New Promises
Chapter Seventeen | Together Again
Chapter Eighteen | You Can't Go
Chapter Nineteen | Jersey Girls
Chapter Twenty One | USWNT
Chapter Twenty Two | First Game
Chapter Twenty Three | Alex Morgan
Chapter Twenty Four | Love Never Dies
Chapter Twenty Five | Sickness and In Health
Chapter Twenty Six | PART II Sickness and In Health
Chapter Twenty Seven | Stay With Me
Chapter Twenty Eight | Sacrifice
Chapter Twenty Nine | Don't Ever Forget Me
Chapter Thirty | Remembering You
Epilogue
IMPORTANT

Chapter Twenty | Not Without You

1.4K 48 8
By myfallingstars

TOBIN'S POV

I look at my dad nervously. This is from the National Team and my dreams could ether be shattered or fulfilled.

I hold the envelope in my hands and I turn around to find Lauren, Amy, Alex, and Christen. When I do, I bring them all in my room and they all look at me confused. To answer their questions I show them the envelope and they all stare in awe. Then slowly, Lauren, Amy, and Alex pull out their own envelopes with the same wording as mine and they all smile at me. Then I look over at Christen and she nods her head.

"I just sent my application yesterday so I won't be getting an answer yet." She says as she smiles at me and quietly leaves us alone in my room.

I look over at Lauren, Amy and Alex and they hold their envelopes in their hands just as desperate as I am to open them. "Lauren, go first." I say. She nods her head and tears off the envelope and takes out the letter.

"I got in." She says with a huge smile on her face. "I'm going to New York!"

We all give her big hugs, but we weren't ready to celebrate. Not until we all know whose going, and I hope it's all of us.

"Amy, you're turn." She says. Amy starts taking her letter out of the envelope and begins to read it. "I got in!" She says excitedly. I smile at her, if Alex and I both make the National Team, it will be a dream come true.

"You open yours Toby." Alex says to me with a warm smile. I open my envelope and take out the letter inside. I open it up and begin to read the short paragraph.

"I got in!" I say happily and I was engulfed into a huge hug by Alex.

"I knew you would." Alex says as as kisses the top of my head.

"Now it's you're turn." I say to Alex, as she nods her head at me. Lauren, Amy and I each look at her intently as she opens up her envelope and begins to read it. I can see her eyes move as she reads. She looks up from the envelope and looks at us without an expression on her face.

"Well?" Amy says.

"I... Didn't make it." Alex says as her voice cracks and she falls to the ground and begins to cry. The rest of us just stand there in shock, why didn't she make it? Is all that floats through my head. She was just as good as I am. Today, that was suppose to be a day of joy and celebration has turned into a day where dreams are shattered. "Lauren, Amy can you give us a minute?" I say to them. They quietly nod there heads and give Alex a hug and walk out the door, making sure to close the door behind them.

"Alex.... I'm so sorry." I say as I sit down next to her and pull her head on my lap and I feel her tears stain my sweat pants that I was wearing. I stroke her hair knowing that it calms her down and I wait until she finally stops crying. "Tobin?" Alex croaks out.

"I'm here." I say. "I'm sorry for everything. You should've made it and... I don't know what to say at this point."

"There is nothing to say except for the fact that I'm not good enough." Alex says.

"Don't say that, you're better than me and I know that for a fact. You always have next year and I'll wait until then." I say.

"Should I just quit soccer?" Alex asks.

"No! This has always been your dream, and just because you didn't make it now, doesn't mean you suck. It means that from here you can only get better." I say.

"So what are you going to do now?" Alex asks me.

"I guess I have to go with Lauren and Amy." I say quietly.

"To New York?" Alex asks me.

"Yeah, to New York. But I don't want to go, I can wait until next year when you're on the team." I say.

"Don't do that Tobin, don't let me pull you down from your dreams." Alex says.

"You'll be here all by yourself though." I say back.

"No, I'm moving to New York with you guys, I talked about it with Kelley and we already have a condo there." Alex says as she finally sits up and looks at me.

"You really did that?" I say as I smile at Alex.

"Yeah I am. I hated not being with my best friends for four years, so I'm going to New York with you guys, and I don't care if I'm not on the team. I'll be at every game cheering for you guys. I'll be there to watch you play and I'll be there wearing my best friends jersey." Alex says with a smile.

"Aren't you upset that you didn't make it?" I ask.

"Yeah, but you're right I still have next year. We'll play together soon but for right now, just play the game with the National Team." Alex says.

"Thanks Lex." I say as I pull her into a hug.

We finally go down where everyone else was and I later announced that Lauren, Amy and I made the National Team so the open house stayed up longer due to all the celebrating.

That night we set up a bonfire and we all went outside and it was the best feeling ever. Being surrounded by people who love you. The feeling in the air had such a nice, light spirit to it, it made me appreciate life even more.

Christen had to leave because she had family to visit back in California lmI was sad that she had to go, but I did however persuade her to live in New York with the rest of us.

Lauren, Amy, Alex and I all sat around the bonfire and we just watched as flames danced in front of us.

"This is a great life." I say.

"You bet it is." Lauren says.

"So, what's next?" I ask the group.

"We have to leave for New York tomorrow but it shouldn't be too bad because it's literally right next door." Amy says.

"Yeah, and I'll go with you guys. I already bought myself a condo in New York so I don't think we'll be saying goodbye to each other anytime soon." Alex says and we all just smile at her.

"It still sucks you won't be playing with us though." Lauren says.

"Yeah, it's great you're moving up in New York with us, but it would have been better if you were there with us." I say.

"I told you, not to worry about it. I have next year to join and besides I need the time to spend with friends and family so I guess it's like a one year vacation and I'm fine with that." Alex says.

We all let out a laugh. "And Kelley is really nice and funny so you two should have a good time in New York." Lauren adds.

"Exactly. So no need to worry about me." Alex says.

At about ten at night the get together started dying down. We all had places to go and be at. I said good night to everyone as the last of guests left my house. I was finally able to crash on to my bed and think things through. Of course I came up with the idea of re packing all the things I need for New York which was basically everything I have from college so I didn't have much to pack. Then finally I went to bed.

The next day

I woke up early and I was a little upset I didn't get the chance to sleep in. I took a shower, put on a new set of clothes and headed down stairs with my bags. I was surprised when I saw Alex sitting at the counter eating.

"What are you doing here? And who let you in?" I ask knowing that at this time everyone left for work.

"To answer your first question, my pantry and fridge had no food so I came here. To answer your second question I let myself in of course." Alex says as she scoops herself a spoon of cereal and shoves it in her mouth.

"You're welcome for the breakfast?" I say.

"Oh yeah thank you. It was so good, what brand of cereal is this? Alex asks.

"I don't know check the box." I say as I sit across from her.

"I threw it out though." Alex says.

"Why! Did you finish it all?" I say.

"Of course I did. And why, do you want an empty box of cereal sitting in your pantry? Besides its garbage day so you're welcome." Alex says as she places her bowl into the sink.

"So you grabbed a random box of cereal and decided that it was a good idea to eat it, even though you had no idea what kind it was?" I say.

"Awe Tobin you know me to well." Alex says as she begins to wash her own dishes.

"Whatever. Do you have all your stuff with you?" I ask.

"I shoved them all into your car if that's okay?" Alex says.

"Where'd you find my car keys?" I ask.

"I've been in your house before silly. I know where everything is." Alex says with a laugh.

"As long as you didn't steal anything, you're fine." I say. Then I watch as Alex takes out at least fifty hair ties from her pocket.

"I was assuming you don't need these so I took them." Alex says as she holds back a laugh as I glare at her.

"You're lucky I love you." I say.

"Of course you do, I mean who wouldn't?" Alex says.

"Moving on. Is Amy and Lauren here yet?" I ask.

"No, but they should be here -"

"CHENEY IN THE HOUSE!" I hear Lauren say as she walks into the kitchen with Amy following her.

"Okay, that's fine. Everyone can come in my house whenever they feel like it." I say sarcastically.

"Chill Tobin." Amy says as she plops herself on the couch.

"What does chill even mean?" I say as I walk over and sit next to Amy on the couch.

"Laid back I guess? I don't know. Alex, what does chill mean?" Lauren asks.

"I think you were right when you said laid back." Alex says as she joins us on the couch.

"Ready to hit the road?" I ask as I stand up.

"I'm ready to go back to sleep!" Alex says as she jumps up and walks right past me.

"Anyone else?" I say excitedly.

"Moving on now." Amy says as she follows Lauren and Alex to my garage where my car was parked. I made sure I hard everything I needed and then, we finally left for New York.

It certainly was a long car ride and we switched drivers when I got tired. Lauren drove the rest of the way with Amy in the passenger seat. Alex and I were in the back basically sleeping the whole way.

Finally we made it to New York and I woke Alex up so she can look at the city. "This place is huge." Alex says as she stares in awe.

"Well, here we are." Lauren says as she parks the car in front of a large and fancy hotel. I get out of the car and I stand in front of the hotel.

"Well I have a lot of stuff to do, so Tobin if you don't mind I'm taking your car to pick up Kelley from the airport. Then we'll have to check into the condo I bought then after, I'll stop by and maybe the five of us can get dinner or something. How does that sound?" Alex says.

"Sounds fine with me." I say as I hand her my car keys. Lauren, Amy and I quickly grab our bags from the trunk. I give Alex a hug before she gets inside. "Just call or text me when you're back oh and drive safe!" I say as Alex hops into my car and puts the engine to life.

"Thanks Tobin! I'll see you all later!" Alex says as she drives off.

Lauren, Amy and I all gather our bags and head inside the hotel. I look at the floor we are stepping on and it has USWNT in big bold letters, I smile at the sight of it. I can't believe that this is even real life.

"Theres the new recruits." A voice says that makes us all jump. We turn around to see Jill Ellis standing before us. "Welcome to New York. I am Jill Ellis, head coach for the National Team. And you are?" She says to the three of us.

"Tobin Heath, left middy." I say as I shake her hand.

"Lauren Cheney, midfielder." Lauren says.

Amy Rodriguez, forward." Amy says as we all shake her hand.

"Well, we are excited to have you new kids here and I personally can't wait to see how you all play. I'm sure the rest of the team is excited to have you here, and you'll be meeting them during lunch. But for now. Lauren, and Amy you two are roommates so your room number is 312, on the third floor. Tobin you are 314 and your roommate should be in there." Jill says. We thank her as we grab our bags and head into the elevator.

"Well I'll meet up with you guys later." I say as we reach the third floor and head to our rooms.

"Alright see you Tobs." Lauren says.

I slide the room key into the door and it opens, I step inside the room and I am amazed at how nice it looks. I set my bags down and sit on a bed. Just then a girl with dark hair comes out from what I'm guessing is the bathroom. She looks at me surprised but then she smiles at me as she walks over to me.

"Aren't you the newbie we got today? Along with two others?" She asks.

"Yep that would be us." I say as I smile up at her.

"Great! I'm Ali Krieger, I'm a defender." The girl says as she extends her hand out for me to shake.

"Tobin Heath, midfielder." I say as I take her hand and shake it.

"So Tobin, where are you from?" Ali asks me.

"New Jersey so not that far away, how about you?" I ask.

"Virginia, so it's not to bad." Ali says. "Lets get you settled in." She says as she starts to help me sort my clothes and everything. It didn't take to long so we were done in record time.

"I'm starving and it's lunch time, which means you get to meet the rest of us! Don't worry they will love you so just be yourself and smile. And the girls are super nice and accepting so you should fit in perfectly!" Ali says as I follow her out the door and into the elevator. Then I follow her to a large room that is filled with tables and chairs along with long tables filled with a lot of food that makes my mouth start to water. There were already a couple people here, so Ali took me to them.

"Everyone, this is Tobin Heath she's the newbie we got and she's a left middy for us." Ali says as she introduces me to three other girls.

Then a tall girl stands up and shakes my hand. "Hope Solo, goal keeper." The girl says as she smiles at me. "That's Carli Lloyd, and Abby Wambach." Hope says.

"Hey!" They both say as they wave at me. "Come on have a seat, we don't bite." Abby says. I gladly take the seat next to Ali and I tell them about myself.

"Jersey girl huh?" Carli says. "Me too."

"Really?" I say.

"Yep, they have great pizza, better than Chicago." Carli says.

"I can't disagree with you on that one." I say with a laugh. "So how does it work around here?" I ask.

"Well, its pretty simple if you ask me. You have breakfast in the morning from eight to nine. Then right after we have training. Then lunch, then a practice, then dinner, then a recovery." Carli says.

"Obviously after recovery you can go to sleep and call it a night. Curfew is ten o'clock." Abby says.

"Yeah, and that's not really how the schedule is. It's different everyday. Sometimes we have lifting in the morning then a recovery. Or we could have no training or lifting, but we can have a practice in the afternoon and a recovery. It switches a lot." Ali says.

"What about on game days?" I ask them.

"Team breakfast at seven instead of eight. Then you get ready, put on some comfy clothes or whatever then we have a team meeting. Then we go on the bus or go to the airport for wherever we go." Abby explains.

"Usually after game days it's usually a day off or recovery day." Carli adds. "Either way, with the busy lives us girls live. I think you'll be just fine."

"Thanks. I honestly still can't believe I'm here. Like I never new I would make it this far." I say.

"Well you must be good, thats for sure." Ali says as she lets out a small laugh.

"So what's it like playing on the National Team?" I ask them.

"It's a huge honor I'll tell you that. It's amazing to be able to put on that jersey and represent our country." Carli says.

"Yeah what Carli said, it's a feeling you'll never get used too. Every time I step onto the pitch, the sound of the large crowds filling the stands still gives me goose bumps." Abby says.

"We don't get as much attention as the mens team do, but either way. Being here on the National Team with you girls is always fun." Ali says. "Oh and do you have any nicknames that we could call you? Everyone calls me Kriegs."

I laugh at this. "Most people call me Tobs or Toby." I say.

"Tobs, I like it!" Ali says. "Carli is lame so she doesn't really have a nickname. Abby. Well we call her anything and she'll respond to it. So call her whatever you would like too." Ali says and I laugh as Abby glares at her.

Oh I'm going to love it here.

*****************

AUTHORS NOTE

I got another chapter in! I hope you liked it!

I'll update as soon as I can! Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.7K 1.8K 61
Fresh out of high school and willing to do anything to keep her head straight, Tobin Heath meets the cutoff for the NYU Women's Soccer Team and has a...
35.6K 720 35
Andy was your average high school student. She played soccer, did well in school had crushes etc. She wasn't just like everyone one though. Her mothe...
59.5K 2.1K 65
A Julie Johnston and Morgan Brain fanfic
183K 4.2K 43
Tobin moves to a new school in California, and tries to fit in, becoming friends with Ashlyn Harris along the way. She never truly feels like she fit...