Gray Wolf Ranch

By moudenes

The Marshall brothers, four country boys with a passion for hospitality, have finally achieved their dream of... More

Chapter 1 - Golf Cart
Chapter 2 - Checking In
Chapter 3 - Tribe Names
Chapter 4 - Dog Walk
Chapter 5 - Clean Slate
Chapter 6 - Farm Help
Chapter 7 - Campsite Permits
Chapter 8 - Entertainment Team
Chapter 9 - Out There
Chapter 11 - Not a Child
Chapter 12 - Nightmares
Chapter 13 - Unwelcome Guest
Chapter 14 - Truths
Chapter 15 - Appointments
Chapter 16 - Worries
Chapter 17 - Relief
Chapter 18 - Disappointment
Chapter 19 - Realization
Chapter 20 - Distraction
Chapter 21 - Hair
Chapter 22 - Loss
Chapter 23 - Dreams
Chapter 24 - Trail Ride
Chapter 25 - An Adventure
Chapter 26 - Secrets and Truths
Chapter 27 - Finding Out
Chapter 28 - Back to Life
Chapter 29 - News
Chapter 30 - Country Boy
Chapter 31 - Wolf
Chapter 32 - We Meet Again
Chapter 33 - Phone
Chapter 34 - Camping
Chapter 35 - Memories
Chapter 36 - Together Again
Chapter 37 - Mingan
Chapter 38 - Moving Out
Chapter 39 - Josh
Chapter 40 - Michelle
Chapter 41 - A Letter
Chapter 42 - Picnic
Chapter 43 - The Opening
Chapter 44 - A Night to Remember
Chapter 45 - Anahu

Chapter 10 - Not a Good Day

3.3K 184 19
By moudenes

CHRIS

While enjoying my morning coffee, I move around the strips of bacon sizzling on a pan. The smell is mouth-watering and the sound comforting.

"Are you going to eat all of that?"

Amy walks into the kitchen and comes to stand next to me while I make breakfast.

"I intend to eat most of this, but I'm willing to share it with you," I caress her cheek.

"You eat a lot since you work at the farm, but you don't seem to gain an ounce. If anything, you appear to be getting muscles. Look at your arms! Life is unfair," my sister squeezes my flexed arm.

Indeed, I have lost weight, and my body is getting more defined. I'm still surprised that Kitchi stays thin and doesn't have much muscle to show with the amount of work he does. Still, he is surprisingly strong.

"All the good energy spent there," I say while filling two plates with food. "Even in the evening, I don't have the need for a beer or a cigarette. My head is empty from Ma and Pa's words and filled with images of the horses, the vegetable patch, stuff I've seen on the trail rides. It's amazing out there! Especially when you see the contrast of the valley packed with trees and then how it's all rocky and dry as you go up the mountain. I've never been to the river behind in all the years we've lived here. We even saw a deer and a few foxes. I'm feeling at peace in this place."

"That is wonderful to hear Chris. I also feel the same, especially now that Ma and Pa are living so far away. Sometimes I describe it as weightless. We might live in humble conditions, but I feel safe and happy here."

"We have everything we need, and soon enough, we will move to a bigger place."

Amy refills my cup of coffee and brings it to the small table in the kitchen. We live in a one-bedroom cabin, and I sleep on the couch. I don't mind. After sleeping on the hard bunk beds in jail the battered couch feels comfortable. My sister has sacrificed a lot for me and deserves to have her bedroom privacy.

"This is delicious. Stop making delicious food, please. I need to run after children, and the extra weight won't help me," Amy says after eating a spoonful of the cornbread I made.

"You look healthier than when we were living in the city. You were so thin back then," I say.

"I don't have worries," she says, and I feel guilty for I was the main reason for those.

"My promise is still firm. I won't go back to my old ways. I don't need to anymore."

"I know you won't. I can see the change in you, and I trust you."

We eat heartily and then get ready to go to work. I lost my driver's license after a few charges of driving under the influence, so Amy brings us to work. I don't mind it as I get to lay back and enjoy the views.

"Amy, do you know Nadine?"

"Nadine? From the restaurant?" She smiles mischievously.

"Yeah, how well do you know her?"

"She's kind and likes taking care of people. I know little about her personal life, there are rumors, but you know I hate gossip."

"What sort of rumors?" I feel curious.

"Chris, find about them yourself. To be honest, I don't even think they are true."

"Man, you are always hard to crack," I say, making her laugh.

"Are you interested in her?"

"She is beautiful and nice. I would love to take her out. I want to make sure she is not dating anybody."

"Well, I'm afraid there is only one way to find out. You need to have a chat with her. She arrives early to the restaurant."

"I think I will give her a visit."

After parking the car, we walk to the main building to register our work time. After saying hello to our coworkers, I head downstairs and to the restaurant. The employees don't find it odd to see me going into the kitchen as I do it all the time to bring eggs or fresh produce from the patch. The herb garden has grown large enough to be used in meals. I find Nadine cutting bread dough and placing the pieces in greased tins.

"Good morning, Nadine."

"Hey, Chris. What are you doing here so early?"

I feel a hint of panic at her question. I didn't think about what I would say.

"I- Ah... I- Came to ask you out," I say. I can't go wrong with the truth.

Nadine stops her task and looks at me. There is confusion on her face.

"Is this a joke?" She asks.

"No, it isn't a joke. Why would I be joking?"

Nadine holds my arm and pulls me through the kitchen and lobby until we are outside.

"Because I get asked out way too many times. I'm not easy, and if you think you are in for a quick fuck, then you are wrong," Nadine says between gritted teeth.

"What the hell is wrong? I wanted to take you out for dinner to get to know you better. Forget I asked," I turn around and feel pissed at her assumption.

"Wait!"

"You know? Not everything men want is sex," I continue walking.

"I'm sorry Chris," I feel her hand on my arm. "I'm only used to defend myself."

"From what?" I turn around.

"Rumors haven't reached you," she whispers. "Look, Chris, I would love to go out with you, but I shouldn't. The next thing you know, you will roll in the gossip with me."

"I don't give a fuck about rumors. I have enough drama in my life to give importance to whatever people will think about us."

Nadine only stares at me. I turn around again and continue walking towards the stables.

"Okay, I'll go out with you."

"Friday at seven," I say behind me. "I will ask Amy to give us a ride from here as I don't have a license."

"Don't worry. I can drive us. Morning, Kitchi," I hear her say, and turn around.

Kitchi looks from her to me with curious eyes. I forgot about his reaction when I met Nadine. Now I'm not sure now if asking her out is such a great idea. I don't want to lose this job, but can't lie to him either.

"You look pissed," he says.

"I asked Nadine to go out on a date with me, and she got all weird. Something about rumors and gossip. Do you know anything about that?"

"No," his face becomes stern.

"She's always a sweet girl. I don't know why she got all difficult."

Kitchi says nothing, but his serious stare and set jaw says it all. I have stepped over a limit.

"I'm sorry if I got too personal. I forget you are my boss and think of you as a friend."

His face features soften. "Are we friends?"

"Only if you want to, otherwise I understand. All my childhood friends when we lived here have moved away and I know only a few people. My sister is great, but she isn't a guy," I chuckle.

"I don't have other friends, only my brothers. I'm not exactly made of wing man material. I don't drink. I can't drive. I can't even talk to a girl without making a fool of myself. When I'm stressed or anxious, my brain goes haywire. Well, you know that already." We arrive to the entrance of the stables and Kit stops walking. "I'm glad to have a friend who is not related by blood."

"Friends then," I give him a hand he shakes. "Are we cool on the thing with Nadine?"

Kitchi nods, but I'm not sure he means it. "Istu arranged extra farm hands," he reads from his notebook. "And I have an appointment at the hospital this afternoon. We've got no trail rides, so we don't need to rush."

I take Bette out and bring her to the private paddock. The fence door is loose and needs a good whack. As I head to get a hammer, I hear noises of struggle and curses. Outside the stables, two kids roll in the dirt while fighting each other. Kitchi comes from the farm area and stops at the sight of the fight.

"YOU TWO! CUT IT OFF!" I yell at them.

The kids stop fighting, and Kitchi and I hurry closer to them. They seem to be in their teens, around high school age. One got a fresh shiner while the other bleeds from his thick lip.

"What the fuck is going on here?" Kitchi asks.

"He started it! He called my mom a whore!" One kid says.

"Crazy, stupid bullshit. Get up! Let's put some..."

"Yeah, they need ice," I finish Kitchi's sentence while he brings a boy inside.

"What the hell was that about?" I ask the other boy harshly.

The kid wipes his bloodied mouth on his sleeve and avoids my gaze. His cheeks are flushed and his eyes teary.

"Why did you call his mother a whore?"

"Because she lured my dad away from my mom. They were trying to work things out, and now he left us and moved in with them!" He lets all the fury loose and kicks a stray pail.

Dammit! What to say in this situation?

"That sucks without a doubt, but that other guy probably doesn't have it easy either. He now has a stranger in his life who isn't his father. Put yourself in his shoes for a moment. You don't need to be mates, but at least tolerate each other while at work."

The boy looks at me and nods. I let out a deep breath and walk again towards the stables. I'm not ready to dish out advice when growing up I had no one to turn to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.9K 1.1K 23
What happens when an asexual werewolf falls in love with a sex-crazed human? Jesse Calaway is struggling to keep his sex addiction under control, but...
15K 682 53
All his life Cole never knew his father only that he was human, so what happens when he goes to find his father along with his mate Skylar with lots...
276K 17.2K 26
A young fairy's desire to break free from the restraints tethering her to her world, pushes her into the arms of a charming, young wolf, whose world...
98K 2.8K 49
(Highest ranking #1 in lust 💗💗💗) A man walked towards my mate as he called out to her. "Who's that" I whispered. "Oh that ..... that would be my h...