Gray Wolf Ranch

By moudenes

The Marshall brothers, four country boys with a passion for hospitality, have finally achieved their dream of... More

Chapter 1 - Golf Cart
Chapter 2 - Checking In
Chapter 3 - Tribe Names
Chapter 4 - Dog Walk
Chapter 5 - Clean Slate
Chapter 6 - Farm Help
Chapter 7 - Campsite Permits
Chapter 8 - Entertainment Team
Chapter 10 - Not a Good Day
Chapter 11 - Not a Child
Chapter 12 - Nightmares
Chapter 13 - Unwelcome Guest
Chapter 14 - Truths
Chapter 15 - Appointments
Chapter 16 - Worries
Chapter 17 - Relief
Chapter 18 - Disappointment
Chapter 19 - Realization
Chapter 20 - Distraction
Chapter 21 - Hair
Chapter 22 - Loss
Chapter 23 - Dreams
Chapter 24 - Trail Ride
Chapter 25 - An Adventure
Chapter 26 - Secrets and Truths
Chapter 27 - Finding Out
Chapter 28 - Back to Life
Chapter 29 - News
Chapter 30 - Country Boy
Chapter 31 - Wolf
Chapter 32 - We Meet Again
Chapter 33 - Phone
Chapter 34 - Camping
Chapter 35 - Memories
Chapter 36 - Together Again
Chapter 37 - Mingan
Chapter 38 - Moving Out
Chapter 39 - Josh
Chapter 40 - Michelle
Chapter 41 - A Letter
Chapter 42 - Picnic
Chapter 43 - The Opening
Chapter 44 - A Night to Remember
Chapter 45 - Anahu

Chapter 9 - Out There

3.5K 188 17
By moudenes

ISTU

Since we started the ranch project, I believe this is the first time I've finished work early. It's only four in the afternoon and that means I have a good two hours available before my brothers come home. I could start dinner, but after Rowtag's disastrous cooking skills, I follow in lack thereof. Kitchi is the best cook of us four, but we rather have him rest when he comes home.

Maybe I should go to the farm and check how things are going. I haven't had a chance in a while to ride Clark. He will probably ignore me when he sees me. I wink at the front desk girl who gets all flustered, a pretty sight. She caught my 'literal' eye since she started working for us. Maybe I should ask her out one day. Huritt told me one of the dancer girls finds me hot, so I have options.

Daylight... something I've come to appreciate as I spend so long indoors. People pass me by with sunburnt skin, wet hair, and wrapped in towels, probably going back to their lodges after spending the day on the pool deck. The two guys from the sports team host an animated hoop shooting competition on a field nearby. It makes me happy to hear our guests' laughter as they fail to get the ball in the basket. Bart and Miguel show them effortlessly how to do it.

When I reach the stables, I find Chris hard at work on the front. Seems he's making the area ready for planting. I've helped Grandma enough times to know that. Chris stretches his back and winces, and that's when I see a big mark of dirt on the side of his shirt.

"Hey Chris, how's it going?" I greet him.

"Going well. Weeding this area out to expand the patch. Nasty work, but it has to be done," Chris points at the bucket filled with the plucked plants.

"Where's Kit?" I peek at the stables but don't see movement.

"Trail ride. Should be back soon," Chris looks at his watch.

"Bad luck for me then. He probably took Clark with him."

"Yeah, only Bette and Audrey are in the paddock. Bette didn't take it kindly she had to stay," he points at his dirty shirt.

"She kicked you?" I ask surprised.

"Nah, more like a push. It was hard enough to make me fall on my side a few feet away. If it was a proper kick, I don't think I would be here talking to you."

"Maybe you should go to the first aid post to get checked. You might have a cracked rib."

"I feel fine and the bruise isn't that big. Thanks for the concern though."

"Anytime. And do you like it here?"

"I do. Kit is a fun guy and knows a lot about animals and plants. I thought it was difficult for him to learn new things."

"It is. The things he knows he has learned throughout the years. With enough repetition, he can retain new information. The problem is his short-term memory and visual-verbal associations."

"Is it also part of it that he spaces out so much?"

"You've also noticed that. No, that started a few months ago, and it's getting worse with each day."

Chris and I continue our chat and I realize how much I've missed interacting with a guy who isn't one of my brothers. We joke around and I even help him pluck some plants. Our conversation is interrupted by the arrival of Kitchi and our guests. My brother leads the group while riding Clark, wild look on his face and hair loose under a leather hat. We follow the group inside and help the women to dismount.

"Good afternoon, ladies. Did you enjoy yourselves?" I ask our smiling guests.

"It was so beautiful. I have been on so many tours, but Keith made this one special," a woman who could be our mother, looks with dreamy eyes at my little brother.

I have to control myself from laughing at the remark and Chris smirks. Kitchi is a good-looking guy, but misses Huritt's sex appeal or Rowtag's elegance.

"It was my pleasure," Kitchi says.

After saying goodbye to the guests, Kit and Chris head to unsaddle the horses. Since my plan of riding my horse is ruined, I will head home and see what I can do to entertain myself.

"Hey, Isaac!"

I look to my left and find Josh, the guy who helped me the other night, dressed in sweatpants and a t-shirt covered in sweat marks. His phone is attached with a band to his arm, and he wears earbuds.

"Hello!" I greet him.

He stops in front of me and takes his earbuds off. "How are you doing?" He smiles brightly. "Haven't seen you around since the night we met."

"I'm doing well. It's been busy after the opening. You have been out for a run."

"This place is perfect with all the long winding paths. Did you plan it like this?" Josh asks as we walk towards one of the picnic tables scattered around.

"Nature planned it for us. We loved the grounds as they were and built around them. Nothing here looks symmetrical, and I think it's nice," I gaze around and loathe the memories of the plain hotel and boarding rooms I lived in growing up.

"This place is just great. My parents are having the time of their lives, and I've even decided to extend my stay. How is Hunter doing?"

"Doing well and probably napping on his sunny spot on the deck. He drove us crazy last night, barking at something in the forest. My brothers went to check, and it was just a deer."

"I didn't hear him and I'm a light sleeper. Lucky dog, I would love to chase rabbits for a living and have no worries," Josh grins.

"What do you do for a living? If you don't mind me asking," I feel curious.

"I own three micro-breweries. My dad is brewer by trade so it runs in my blood. Dad retired recently and now I face the difficult decision of joining the management board in the family business or continue with my own."

"It's a tough decision. We also had the choice to work for the family, but decided for our own project. It has been a bumpy path, but I don't regret it."

Josh looks at me with an intense gaze and a warm smile. I can't say I feel uncomfortable, just a bit odd. In daylight, I see that his eyes are a light blue. We chat about many topics and his intelligence fascinates me. He has a wicked humor too and has me laughing aloud.

"You have scars on your face. I didn't see them on the night of the storm, only now when you were laughing. Are they from the accident that left you partially blind?"

My hand touches my face automatically. Memories of the day of the accident and the pain associated with it come immediately to mind.

"They are. I sat on the back seat of a golf cart with my youngest brother. The brakes were faulty, and we crashed. I fell face first into a bougainvillea bush, and the branches and thorns punctured my eyes and the side of my mouth."

Josh grimaces. "I'm sorry. You told me you were eight years old then, right? That is so young. It must have been difficult for you."

"It was surreal. I woke up after surgery, eyes covered with bandages. Noises and unknown voices were scary and if people touched me without telling me they were in the room, I would feel terrified. Initially, I was completely blind. Years later, I got a cornea transplant in the less damaged eye and could see again with the help of glasses."

"Did your brother also get injured?"

"Yeah, and my two oldest brothers who were in the front got hurt as well. Rowtag drove the cart against his will and to this day blames himself for what happened. It wasn't his fault."

Josh holds my hand, and I remove it slowly from his.

"Are you okay?" Josh whispers.

"The memories are still painful. We all played a part on what happened on that day." I gaze around the grounds and then back at our hands. "This- This is strange for me."

"I know how it feels," he says, making me look back at his face. "Since the day I met you, I've been struggling with what I felt."

"Felt? Josh, I'm not sure you understand. I'm into women."

"Me too. Or so I thought until a few years ago when I met Mark, my first business partner. He made me question all I knew about myself or felt about the same sex."

I feel my face flush with embarrassment and remove my hand from his. "I should go home," I mumble. "You probably want to continue your run."

"I was done already. I will see you around," he says while standing up.

I stay sitting at the picnic table feelingconfused about his words, about my feelings.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4M 141K 70
(Update: 2/25/19- This story was original called Alphas Red. Noticing there is so much to be added to this novel. I've decided to make it into a seri...
602K 27.9K 53
Eighteen-year-old Sean Brooks comes from a long line of witches. But unfortunately, he doesn't have a spell that can help him with relationships. Whe...
168K 3.7K 25
When Eira goes to the forest at night, she doesn't expect to meet her mate and be taken against her will. Not wanting to spend the rest of her life l...
98.1K 2.8K 49
(Highest ranking #1 in lust 💗💗💗) A man walked towards my mate as he called out to her. "Who's that" I whispered. "Oh that ..... that would be my h...