The Last Healer

By WishingStar01

What if you were told you were nothing, but then you became everything? After being abandoned by her parents... More

Stamps of approval
Prologue
Chapter 1: Ariella
Chapter 2 Ariella
Chapter 3: Ariella
Chapter 4: Ariella
Chapter 5: Ariella
Chapter 6 Ariella
Chapter 7 Ariella
Chapter 8 Ariella
Chapter 9 Ariella
Chapter 10: Ariella
Chapter 11: Ariella
Chapter 12: Ariella
Chapter 13: Ariella
Chapter 14: Ariella
Chapter 15: Ariella
Chapter 16: Ariella
Chapter 17: Ariella
Chapter 18: Ariella
Chapter 19: Ariella
Chapter 20: Alexander
Chapter 21 Ariella
Chapter 22: Ariella
Chapter 23 Ariella
Chapter 24: Ariella
Chapter 25 Ariella
Chapter 26: Ariella
Chapter 27: Ariella
Chapter 28: Ariella
Chapter 29: Alexander
Chapter 30: Ariella
Chapter 31: Ariella
Chapter 32: Ariella
Chapter 33: Ariella
Chapter 34 Ariella
Chapter 35: Ariella
Chapter 36: Ariella
Chapter 37: Ariella
Chapter 38 Ariella
Chapter 39: Ariella
Chapter 40: Ariella
Chapter 41: Alexander
Chapter 42: Ariella
Chapter 43: Ariella
Chapter 44: Alexander
Chapter 45: Alexander
Chapter 46: Alexander
Chapter 47: Ariella
Chapter 48: Alexander
Chapter 49: Alexander
Chapter 50: Ariella
Chapter 51: Alexander
Chapter 52: Ariella
Chapter 53: Ariella
Chapter 54: Ariella
Chapter 55: Ariella
Chapter 56: Ariella
Chapter 57: Alexander
Chapter 58: Alexander
Chapter 59: Ariella
Chapter 60: Alexander
Chapter 61: Ariella
Chapter 62: Ariella
Chapter 63: Ariella
Chapter 64: Alexander
Chapter 65: Alexander
Chapter 66: Ariella
Chapter 67: Alexander
Chapter 68: Ariella
Chapter 69: Ariella
Chapter 70: Alexander
Chapter 71: Ariella
Chapter 72:Ariella
Chapter 74: Ariella
Chapter 75: Ariella
Chapter 76: Ariella
Chapter 77: Alexander
Chapter 78: Ariella
Chapter 79: Ariella
Chapter 80: Ariella
Chapter 81: Ariella
Chapter 82: Ariella
Chapter 83: Ariella
Chapter 84: Alexander
Chapter 85: Alexander
Chapter 86: Ariella
Chapter 87: Alexander
Chapter 88: Alexander
Chapter 89: Alexander
Chapter 90: Ariella
Chapter 91: Alexander
Chapter 92: Ariella
Chapter 93: Ariella
Chapter 94: Alexander
Epilogue

Chapter 73: Alexander

6.7K 431 72
By WishingStar01

Chapter 73: Alexander

"Five Trackers found dead in their beds overnight?" Thomas Mathews demanded as he stepped closer to me, his eyes staring at the paperwork his father had given me.

"Throats sliced wide open." I sighed as I studied the words, the names wavering slightly as I stared at them. "Those who were married were killed with their wives besides them."

"One of the women were killed too." Captain Mathews sighed as he walked in with King Stephen following close behind. "Her eyes were open so it would be safe to assume she saw the murderer."

"But why kill five random people?" Mrs. Mathews demanded, her eyes glinting darkly as she stepped forward. "A murderer with no real goal in mind? I don't believe that's how it works."

"It isn't." King Stephen agreed with a bland sigh. "We're having each of the homes investigated and we're hoping to have it finished within the month."

"And how many more people are going to end up dead before that?" She demanded and I found myself agreeing with her. With no obvious pattern, no concrete idea on what the murderer is after, there was no way to realize who would be next.

"Right now, we need to worry about keeping order. With things getting out of control like this, we need to make it appear like we know what's going on and we're handling it." King Stephen explained to her and then turned to study each of the Mathews in turn before his eyes falling onto me. "Until then, I am ordering a night watch on the Captains and Apprentice's homes. It would be believable that they would be a target as well."

"We'll also add to the night guard in the City as well." Captain Mathews walked towards his desk, his hands fumbling with the parchment in front of him.

"I also believe we should increase the guard on Lady Ariella." King Stephen explained, his arms crossing in front of him. "If this is the work of the traitor-"

"Then maybe those people knew who it was!" Brittney exclaimed, her eyes glancing over at her twin, realization settling in there eyes.

"Care to share?" Dimitri demanded, irritation flooding his eyes.

"It's simple, isn't it?" Natalie grinned. "If any of those people knew who the traitor was, wouldn't they have written it down somewhere? In case they were killed?"

"Aye, but wouldn't the traitor know that as well?" I reminded them and watched as her nostrils flared slightly in frustration. "Unless they were able to outwit the man or woman, any note they may have left is gone."

"Even if it's still there and they hid it, what makes you think we could find it?" Robert demanded, his fingers tapping the top of his leg in frustration. "The killer would have been looking for it and probably found it. If they left a clue, it would be gone."

"You just love to ruin things for me, don't you?" Natalie pouted which resulted in Robert rolling his eyes.

"If it counts for anything, Father, I agree that Ariella should have more people guarding her at all times." Robert stepped forward, his hand resting on his sword. "While we can fight to protect ourselves, Ariella is completely defenseless."

"Even if she knew how to fight, it wouldn't matter next month anyway." Dimitri sighed bitterly as he leaned against the wall, his eyes darkened in frustration.

"That's true." Thomas sighed. "With her sixteenth birthday, she'll be required to take her Vow."

"And we all know that she'd take the Vow of a Healer." Mrs. Mathews sighed as she turned to her husband. "Is there anyway we can get this taken care of before then? The last thing we need is Ariella to be unable to even wield a knife in self defense with a killer on the loose."

"The sad thing is, Maranda, even if we gave her a weapon now, she wouldn't use it." Captain Mathews sighed before nodding slightly. "We'll increase the guard around her. She might not like it, but we need this thing to get figured out quickly and quietly."

"That and we'll be able to focus better knowing she's well protected." Thomas grumbled in my ear and I smiled slightly in agreement.

"There's one thing you all should be aware of." King Stephen's eyes shifted over and rested on Thomas, an apologetic smile tainted his face. "Earlier today, we had a group of about thirty people come claiming that it was obvious who the traitor was. That he'd follow in his father's footsteps."

"Me?" Thomas demanded, irritation rolled in his eyes as the King nodded.

"Obviously, I stated that there was no proof and you wouldn't even attempt to betray your family, but they refused to listen to reason."

"They're just getting restless." Mrs. Mathews sighed slightly, her voice filled with sorrow. "They're going to target who they want."

"It's still ridiculous." Thomas eyed me in surprise and I shrugged. "I understand they're getting desperate, but to blame someone for things they have no control over is utterly idiotic."

"Speaking from experience?" Thomas muttered next to me, a cocky grin on his face as I shrugged.

"While I have to agree with you, Alexander, we still need to be on our toes. People do stupid things when they're desperate." Captain Mathews explained before turning to his eldest son. "Be on your guard at all times, boy. I have a feeling we're not going to hear the last from them."

"I have a feeling we're not going to hear the last about this traitor, either." I mumbled with Thomas agreeing next to me.

"For now, why don't we call it an end for today. It's almost time for dinner, correct?" King Stephen continued. "I'll meet with you tomorrow for the plans, Captain. The rest of you, keep your guard up."

"Any idea on how Ariella's going to take this?" Thomas questioned and I shrugged.

"Hopefully she'll understand and go along with it." I sighed as I glanced at him, worry dancing in his eyes. "She's followed along before. I'm sure she'll do it again."

"How can you be sure?" He demanded, his fists clenching in frustration. "I'm already surprised she doesn't feel like a prisoner."

"So long as we don't actually lock her up, I think she'll be fine." Dimitri chuckled as he stepped up on my other side, amusement dancing in his eyes.

"We'll just have to take her places that she wants to go so she can still have fun but be guarded." Robert added from ahead of us, his voice dancing with humor. "Thomas, I'm sure you and the twins can take Ariella back to the beauty store."

"Oh, that would be fun!" Natalie laughed loudly beside Robert, her eyes twinkling mischievously as she glanced back at us.

"Take him instead." Thomas chuckled, jabbing his thumb in my direction. "I'm sure you could harass him like you do me."

"But it's more fun with you!" Natalie protested with a laugh, her right hand settling on her waist as she kicked herself off the ground and spun around to face us. "Nothing's better than making your brother question his masculinity."

"More like sanity." He grumbled softly.

"Alexander." Dimitri's eyes were looking at something away from us, his hands pointing off towards the left. "Isn't that Shanae and Isabella?"

Following his gaze, I saw the familiar blond hair bobbing in the crowd on the other side of the street. I glanced around for Ariella before panic settled inside of me as I realized she wasn't there.

"Where's my sister?" Thomas growled.

"I was about to ask the same thing." I muttered as I shoved my way past Dimitri, through the crowd, and towards the two girls walking away. "Shanae!" I shouted as watched as she whipped around, her eye narrowing as she glanced back at me.

"I'll talk with you later." She shouted back and I swore slightly as I attempted to catch up to her, cursing her for being an Air. Wooden and brick buildings passed by in a blur as I attempted to keep pace with the two girls and I could only assume that the others were following me.

My eyes narrowed slightly as we entered the abandoned part of the City, a place where no one in their right mind would go in fear of being attacked or lost. That didn't stop them from running forward, their steps expertly placed as if this wasn't the first time they had been here.

Finally catching up to them in front of a giant white stone building, vines decorating the walls, the two girls were doubled over, catching their breath.

"Would you like to tell me why we're here?" I demanded, my shoulders rising and falling as I gasped for breath.

"If we did, you'd kill us." Shanae shrugged, kicking her feet from beneath her and collapsing to the ground. "Just sit and relax, the door's sealed and it could be awhile before Ariella comes out."

"Out from where?" Thomas demanded as he glared down at the exhausted blond.

"You don't mean in there, do you?" Brittney exclaimed, her hand jerking to the white building.

"Aye." Isabella smiled softly. "She's most likely talking to Nimiane about the Water Drop Technique."

"Nimiane?" Robert demanded as he glared at them as well.

"Water Drop Technique?" Dimitri repeated, confusion dancing in his voice.

The two girls glanced at each other before sighing.

"Sit down." Shanae ordered as she leaned forward, her legs curling up underneath her. "We'll explain."

"You better." I grumbled as I stepped closer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15 0 13
In the eyes of Ariella Swan she had the perfect life as least for a teenager; amazing and supportive boyfriend, amazing friends, an incredible family...
127K 3.7K 37
Sofia is an ordinary girl, trying to live her life as normally as possible. Being a teen in high school isn't easy for her. Especially finding her pl...
2.4K 228 17
ROSE has been called a freak many times in her life... But this time it's not because of the magic that drips from her fingers in a swirl of glittery...
8K 465 39
Valentina lives a lie every day she steps out of her house. She has built her own world, where she can be anything, where every action of her life is...