Just A Kiss Goodnight

By Lincoln4460

Kate Sullivan has made a highly successful career out of being a geek and is enjoying the opportunities it cr... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Sixty
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter Fifty-Nine

5.2K 231 72
By Lincoln4460

"Welcome home darling."

"It's just as well you carried me over the threshold when we came back in June, Tom – Baby Hiddles and I are a lot heavier now."

"Mm, I'm pretty sure I can still do it though." And with that, he put one arm around my waist and another behind my knees and I was suddenly lifted into his arms.

"Tom, put me down! You'll do yourself an injury!"

"You're not that heavy sweetheart. Besides, it's my job as alpha male to care and provide for my family."

"Alpha male hmm? I knew I should have stopped you watching those National Geographic shows on the flight."

He put me down carefully in the middle of the lounge room and looked at me with a cheeky grin on his face. "I had to do something to drown out the sound of your snoring my love."

"Oh! You rat! I do not snore!" His infectious giggle had its usual effect on me and we both ended up chuckling, wrapped in each other's arms. "Have I told you lately how incorrigible you are Thomas?"

"Not in the last twelve hours, so I must be due for another reminder."

---

Over the next couple of days we unpacked the luggage we had brought with us and the boxes we had sent on from LA, which had arrived the day after we did. Tom's piano was installed in a corner of the lounge; baby things went for now into the spare room. Max called as promised and she and I met one afternoon when she wasn't working, seeing Nick's latest movie and catching a bite to eat.

Tom began rehearsals for his play, which would have a limited run of six weeks, then he would be free for a couple of months before his next project. A large group of family and friends had tickets for opening night and plans for dinner beforehand.

I rang a decorator to arrange for the painting of the room that was to be the nursery and once that was done invited Diana to come down to help me shop for the essential furniture items. After researching online we spent a happy few hours the first day choosing a bassinet and changing table to go in our room and a cot bed, dresser and nursing chair for baby's room. The next day we picked out bedding and wall décor in our chosen theme along with a few room accessories such as lamp, mobile, nappy stacker and rugs. When everything had been delivered into the newly painted room – sporting fluffy white clouds in a soft blue sky – we began to unpack and find places for the many gifts we had been given plus the items we had bought in LA. By the end of Diana's visit the nursery was ready and I was definitely getting the nesting feeling I had heard so much about from other mums.

My pregnancy records had all been sent to my local OB/GYN and I was seeing her fortnightly for check ups now that I was entering my eighth month. I had a flu shot as winter was approaching, got a booster vaccine for whooping cough and made regular note of baby's movements during the day and night, alert for any changes that might signal preterm labour or preeclampsia.

"It's time for us to decide on our birth plan," I told Tom after my week 32 visit. He knew already that I was booked in at a midwife-led birthing unit that was housed within a hospital, useful in case any problems were encountered during delivery. We talked about the various birthing methods and positions and the subject of pain relief.

"I'd like to keep it as natural as possible," I said, "so listening to music, moving about, massage and warm water are apparently all helpful."

"Some Metallica for you then?" he asked cheekily, raising a smile from me.

"Not if you want to make it out of there alive Hiddles!" I warned him with a laugh. We picked some favourite songs and made sure Tom knew where to find them on my iPod and I made a mental note to buy some massage oils. He assured me he would make sure my wishes were carried out in case I wasn't in a position to express them and that he would be only too happy to perform any massage needed – he accompanied that with a mock lecherous grin and I laughed again at his silliness.

I opened my mouth to speak but he pre-empted me, "I know, darling, I'm incorrigible!"

"Yes you are," I kissed him, "and also adorable and completely lovable."

---

"Break a leg Tommy." Emma and Diana each gave Tom a warm hug and their best wishes for opening night.

"Break a leg sweetheart." I kissed his cheek as he ran his hand through his hair, suffering from his usual pre-performance nerves. "You'll be wonderful and so will everyone else."

"Thank you love."

"We'll see you backstage afterwards. I'll be the heffalump in purple."

"And you'll be the most beautiful heffalump ever my darling."

"I've told you before Hiddles, you know just the right things to say!" Everyone smiled at that and he put his arms around me to give me a proper kiss before leaving for the theatre.

"I'll put the kettle on, shall I?" Emma asked.

"That would be wonderful Em. I've got to go pee – again!" The other two just laughed.

"Don't forget we're shopping for a pram tomorrow Kate." Diana reminded me once I was back in the kitchen. Tom's family had insisted on buying us the pram as a baby gift. "Have you picked out which one you want?"

"I've seen a Bugaboo one that's a three-in-one so will be good as baby gets older, the bassinet and seat are both reversible and it's compatible with car seats."

"That sounds very suitable. Where will we find those?"

"Peter Jones in Sloane Square."

"Perfect. We can browse around for other bits and pieces while we're there."

A couple of hours later we were getting ready for the evening as our friends began arriving; Max and Nick were first, followed soon after by Davey and James. Mike and Abby showed up fifteen minutes later and shortly after that Ben and Sophie completed the group. We were a merry bunch as we headed out to the maxi cab I had ordered to take us to the Gin Joint, a restaurant only a few minutes walk from the Barbican Centre where Tom's play was showing.

As we walked out to the taxi I felt a strong twinge in my lower abdomen. I had been experiencing mild Braxton-Hicks contractions off and on for a few weeks, usually a painless tightening that lasted around thirty seconds; this was a little different, although not truly painful.

"Katie? Are you okay?" Davey was just behind me and saw me put my hand to my stomach.

I smiled in reassurance. "I'm fine Davey, just a twinge. Baby Hiddles is awake and active."

"A child of Tom's being active? Sooo difficult to imagine!" His grin almost split his face in two and I returned it with one of my own as he put his arm around my waist and helped me in to the vehicle.

Thankfully the restaurant had given us a fairly private table, as dinner was a rowdy affair; everyone was in high spirits and although there wasn't much alcohol being consumed at all, you could be forgiven for thinking there was. Upbeat conversations and full belly laughter ebbed around me as I sat in my own little bubble, lost in thoughts of Tom and Baby Hiddles.

"How are you doing?" Sophie's smiling face swam into my vision and pulled me out of my trance.

"I'm good, thanks Sophie."

"You've got that introspective look about you that I remember well," she said, smiling gently at me. "When are you due?"

"End of November, so eight weeks to go." I patted my tummy softly. "Mind you, if it's anything like its father, due dates will mean nothing; I swear without Luke and me, Tom would never arrive at anything on time!"

Sophie laughed and cast a glance at her husband, busily chatting with Nick, James and Mike. "Ben's exactly the same; he spends so much time talking and being distracted it's a wonder he gets anything done."

---

At the Barbican our seats were in row 12 at the front half of the centre orchestra section. Tom had explained that these seats put us at the same eye level the director and playwright had during the performance's development—therefore we would essentially see the play as it was "meant to be seen."

I felt another twinge as I took my seat but as it was no longer or more forceful than the one I had earlier, I paid it no mind. Baby Hiddles was still being fairly active, though I had hopes that would settle soon so I could enjoy the show without distraction. Davey was seated on my right and Diana on my left, so I chatted quietly with them as the audience flowed in and found their seats, sending a quick text to Tom telling him we were here and giving him my love before turning off my phone.

The curtain rose to a scene in front of a noble house in Messina with three of the main characters on stage. After a few minutes Tom came on as Benedick and my heart surged with pride, but I soon forgot he was my husband, finding myself lost as always in the magic of Shakespeare and the skill of the players on the stage. I laughed along with the rest of the audience at Benedick's attempts to outwit, outsmart and out-insult Beatrice and his use of witty hyperbole to express his feelings and silently applauded when Beatrice exploded with fury at Claudio for mistreating her cousin.

When Tom and Kate Winslet – who played Beatrice – came to take their bows after the curtain fell I joined everyone else in giving them a standing ovation. As I rose from my seat I put a hand to my abdomen as another twinge stabbed at me; I saw Diana notice. Once we were making our way backstage she expressed her concern. "Kate, are you having labour pains?"

"No, I'm fine. Just some twinges."

"Are you sure? I know it's too soon but you can't be too careful."

"My doctor said to watch for pains in my lower back that increase in ferocity and become regular and these twinges aren't like that, so I'm sure they're nothing to worry about."

Of course our conversation was overheard and select parts of it repeated by the others in our group, so by the time we reached Tom's dressing room it was all they were talking about and when he came out to greet us the first thing he was told was "Kate might be in labour."

"Darling, what –" He looked so concerned I was annoyed at the others for making him worry about an inconsequential matter when this moment should be about him.

"I'm definitely not in labour sweetheart, just some small twinges. My doctor said it's all perfectly normal and told me how to tell real labour pains from false ones, so please don't worry."

"If you're sure..." His furrowed brow told me he wasn't completely convinced so I promised to call the doctor if they persisted and he seemed reassured.

"Now can we please talk about how incredible my husband's performance was and focus on him?" I glared meaningfully at everyone and they all complied, showering him with the praise I felt he deserved. While he accepted it all as gracefully as he usually did, he kept a supportive arm around my shoulders and glanced my way so frequently I knew he was still concerned. I put an arm around his waist and snuggled into his side, kissing him lightly and murmured, "I'm fine, stop worrying."

"It's much too soon."

"Tom." I looked at the fright in his eyes then turned to the others. "Excuse us for a moment please," and taking his hand, led him back into his dressing room and shut the door.

"Kate, what ..."

"I'm calling the doctor so she can put your mind at ease." When Heather answered I explained the twinges I had been having and after asking me some questions she agreed they were nothing to worry about. "I'm putting my husband on, Heather, please tell him what you've just told me."

"All right?" I asked him once he'd hung up; he nodded in answer and hugged me tightly. I could hear his rapid heartbeat through his costume and stayed close to him as it slowly returned to its normal rate. "I love you."

"I love you too." His voice was muffled as his face was buried in my hair. There was a short pause before he said, "Kate, is it a boy or a girl?"

I drew back to look at him. "I thought you didn't want to know?"

"I didn't but ... now I do. It seems important somehow – I can't explain how or why, it just is."

"Are you sure?" I looked into his eyes again, unable to put a name to the raw emotions I saw there.

"I'm sure."

So I wrapped my arms tighter around his waist and told him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.3K 615 45
Hope you enjoy it if you read my other story She Burns which is a Loki story that follows an OC of mine. This story is about the love story between T...
340K 11.7K 38
After losing her sister in a car accident, 25 year old Jessica Blackwell is broken, lost, and guarded. One man may the the only person to change all...
149K 4.9K 36
Gabi is a student at Cambridge and she meets a lovely young man by the name of Tom. They are the best of friends, but is that all?
2.7K 88 6
POV story, you're Mr. Hiddleston's new assistant for the summer. Things get flirty between you two then escalate quickly with a trip to paradise. But...