Innocent Sorrow: A Tale of Tw...

By SnowDarby

The Princess of Fire with hair of black and eyes of violet, The Spirit of Ice with hair of Snow and eyes of Q... More

Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Section Break Time Skip
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter 11
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five

Chapter One

169 6 1
By SnowDarby

(Welcome to my story! I hope you all enjoy reading this book! It took me a year to write and I will be uploading every week! Anyway, please enjoy and leave commentary! Feel free to message me about anything as well!) 

Broken and bloody screams….swords clashed and war was waged…what did we start this for? You told me to fight for our dreams…is this what you meant? All of this death? Can you even see what I do here? Can you feel the lives lost? I wonder…do you remember the innocence that we once clung too? The joy with which we played in this very field now stained red? I remember…as I cut down your children, I remember more and more how we loved this land…your land. Now, for a dream that has long been corrupted, I raise my sword and strike down our people but I cannot fight for this dream any longer. I fight to find you, only you and as I slice down another man I feel nothing but hollow bitterness for all this world has come too.

When I find you, will you recognize me? Bloody at your feet will you save me? Will you still your blade and spare me?

~/~

~!~!~!~!~!~

Chapter 1

~!~!~!~!~!~

“What do you think will become of this country with that boy as the crown prince? He has the blood of a commoner in him!” A shrill voice questioned the reality.

Stop it…

“I know! It’s dreadful! If only the king would take a concubine and sire a true royal then we could be at peace. Instead he has this Halfling with such strange eyes and that hair like a common born child! Just like his mother!” Another offered an alternative reality…

Quiet, I don’t want to hear it! And yet another cursed reality.

“Feliks my boy, are you still sleeping? Get your lazy but up, child!” A shrill yet kind voice brought reality crashing down on the one who cursed it while sending those who denied it away.

“SHUT UP! I’m awake!” The annoyed shout came from the large canopy bed with a black duvet and long, sheer, lavender curtains the obscured the form of a disheveled, black haired boy with flashing purple eyes sat. His chin length, raven colored hair stuck out in many different directions but the stunning thing about the small boy was his expressive violet eyes. “If you’re awake then get up! Today is your eleventh birthday; you should be more cheerful than this. You also have lessons in an hour so you must get ready quickly! After that, your parents wish to see you.” An older maid with greying brunette hair spoke up from the doorway. Feliks glared at the maid, his eyes darkening slightly before giving way to a hurt filled expression. “Hilda, why do they always speak of such things? If father hadn’t found us, mother and I would be paupers living in the streets…if I had been born with lighter hair they wouldn’t have been able to say anything…” He trailed off sullenly.  The old maid smiled gently and walked over to the bed, sitting on the edge and brushing some of the hair out of the child’s face with long, wrinkled fingers. He had seen so much, heard so many things and yet he was still only eleven.

“Feliks…nay, Prince Feliks Orthan Beldan, Heir to the Throne of Beldan, you are loved by all who work in this palace and treasured by your parents. There is no need to fret over what some shunned noble ladies say. Not when Queen Matilda is one of the most loved Queens since the time of your great grandmother! Your father is a great King and no one would ever truly go against his decisions, King Gregory loves your mother and that’s all there is too it!” Feliks smiled slightly, his eyes lightening as he swung pale, bare legs over the side of the bed, feet meeting the ground with a soft pat. “Well then, if I am going to prove the court wrong, I probably shouldn’t be late to my lessons! That means you have to let me get changed Hilda!” The old woman gave a soft laugh and stood herself, brushing out her skirts and stepping to the door. “Yes, get dressed and call me back in when you’re ready to have your hair done!”

The young boy waited until Hilda was out of the room to slip off the long, white night shirt that fell to his knees. He replaced the top with a white button up, grey vest and a pair of mid-shin length black slacks. On his feet he pulled on long white socks that reached his knees under the pants and a pair of soft leather shoes with a silver buckle. Sitting down in front of the vanity, he picked up a silver bell that sat on the table and rung it three times, waiting for his precious maid and friend to return. “Good, you’re dressed; now let’s get your hair brushed so you can head out.” Hilda spoke as she walked briskly towards Feliks, stepping up behind him at the Vanity. She picked up an ornate silver brush to groom the soft black tresses that rivaled most women. “Such a shame you’ll be cutting it again soon…” The brush glided slowly through the ebony silk with a soft swish. The cut wasn’t perfectly even, shorter in the back than the front, but it was lovely on the boy’s heart shaped face and the more you looked at him, the more you would think he was a girl. His beauty stemmed from his mother but the fire you could see in his luminous violet gaze came straight from the King himself. The soft almost feminine laugh sounded as Feliks met Hilda’s hazel orbs.

“Yes, you always seem to miss my hair when I get it cut yet you remark how handsome I am after its cut! I don’t really want it to get to long though; I’ll look even more like a girl!” Hilda gave a laugh as she ran the brush over his hair one final time. “Yes, yes but you know what, I heard your father was rather small when he was your age. He wasn’t very strong or special in any way until he turned 15 and started to fill out. I’m sure you’ll be the same and just think about how powerful he is; I believe you’ll be even more so, young Prince.”

Feliks nodded, bright smile lighting up his whole being as he stood from the plush velvet stool. “Yes, you’re right Hilda. Thank you!” He gave the woman a warm hug before grinning cheekily. “I’ll grow even bigger then my father and be an even better ruler! You’ll see!” As he started to run to the door, Hilda put her hands on her hips and called out after him. “If you plan to be so much better, you should start by not being late to your lessons!” Feliks didn’t respond as he dashed down the hall, shoes making no noise against the soft plush carpet as he ran from the sleeping chambers, down many long hall ways and finally stopping before the large, heavy doors of the library, panting lightly. He pushed on the cool wood, the doors opening easily, and stepped inside the large library filled floor to ceiling with books of all types. “Very nice of you to finally join me, my Prince.” the gentle voice of his elderly tutor made him smile as he walked swiftly over to the long heavy table where books were stacked neatly for reading. “Good morning to you as well Bayard.” The old man ignored the greeting in hopes of starting the lesson. “Take a seat boy, I know your parents wish for your company so I will do my best to keep this quick. We will be focusing on history today.” Feliks nodded excitedly and slid into one of the chairs, eager to hear what the elderly man had to say. History was one of the boy’s most loved subjects and today was no exception. “As you know, your numerous times Great Grand Father was the ruler of Beldan back when it was just a Kingdom. At that time, there were two other Empires in this land; can you tell me what they are?” He nodded excitedly, reciting the answer to the question to prove he had been paying attention. “The land of Dark Earth, the Militant Empire of Reicks and the land of Icy Death, the Frozen Empire of Nyek, right?”

“That is correct. Back then, a war broke out between Beldan and Reicks over some territory on our borders where there was a mix of Beldanians and the people of Reicks. Your ancestor felt that since Reicks was already an Empire, the land should go to Beldan whose population was growing. Reicks didn’t like this at all though and thus, war started despite the peaceful transactions King Victavian tried for. Realizing how outnumbered his land was, Victavian sent word to the Frozen Empire to ask for their assistance. At first, the Pure Nobles of Nyek were against it for they despised war in general. Seeing the atrocities of the battles that bordered their lands though changed their minds and they sent their own troops into the fray. Sadly, their intentions were not completely pure and they also attempted to take land as payment for helping to push Reicks from Beldan’s soil. In the end, the Emperor of Nyek, Aleks, King Andreas of Reicks and King Victavian of Beldan came to an agreement though the true context of this treaty has been kept secret from everyone.” Feliks grinned. A real secret lay within his home…yet he still wished to drag out all the secrets of the world!

“Well young Feliks that is the end of today’s lesson since it is your birthday. Tomorrow you are free from studies because of the ball but I expect to see you back here bright and early the day after!” Feliks nodded and thanked the old man who took the time to teach him before running out the door, his swift feet carrying him down a short flight of stone steps and up to the large open hall that was the Court. Stone archways made up the entrance that he quickly stepped through. The long royal red carpet leading down the long, marble hall and up a length of marble steps to the three beautifully crafted gold thrones was lined with people, mostly nobles and guards as well as a few peasants, one of the latter kneeled in the center of the isle as they spoke to King Gregory. The walls were lined with long red and black silk curtains covering the cold stone of the castle. On two black swaths of velvet that hung behind the thrones, the insignia of Beldan, a wild fire in the center of a semi-circle made from the wings of a bird, was embroidered onto them in red thread the same color as the carpet.  Feliks slowed his pace, hoping not to disturb the meeting as he walked briskly passed all the nobles who sneered at him and up the steps to his Mother who instantly smiled, her blue eyes twinkling with mirth.

“Feliks, my sweet child, I am glad you could make it.” Matilda’s soft, sweet voice matched her son’s as perfectly as their ebony hair. The corseted, sleeveless gown she wore in a deep sapphire color hugged her frame while long black tresses, slightly wavy despite the length and weight, trailed down her spine and fanned out. She was a breathtaking Queen who looked every bit the royal she now was. The only thing telling of her low birth was the dark hair she and her child shared. “Ah, my prince! Welcome, welcome, take your seat and let me finish with the court so we can go celebrate your birthday!” The loud, booming voice of his adoring father made him turn to meet the storm grey eyes. King Gregory was certainly a handsome man with light grey eyes, shaggy blond hair and lightly tanned skin. He was a gruff sort of man but that just added to his appeal for he was as kind as he was harsh and he made good, strict decisions that no one challenged. “Yes, Father.” Feliks smiled at the peasant and took his seat. “I’m very sorry for disturbing the meeting.” He met every Nobles eyes as though daring them to speak out but the peasant was the one who answered. “It’s quite alright, Prince! Thank you for gracing me with your presence on such a fine day as the celebration of your birth!” Feliks’s sweet smile grew even brighter as he nodded and listened as the meeting continued, settling back in his plush throne to wait. Apparently the man was here to inform the King about some problems they were having in town with a group of Bandits and some flooding that was endangering the crops.

“Thank you for informing me of this, I will send some troops to deal with the bandits and as for the flooding, if you can figure out a way to solve it, you may task the soldiers to assist the peasants in implementing whatever it is you come up with. If you work together, I am sure you will come to a conclusion.” Gregory motioned for one of his Generals to step forward. “Nathanial, please pick some of your men to go help this man, if you would.” The young General nodded and saluted the King. He had sandy brown hair that spiked up wildly as it grew from its original short cropped style and his blue eyes sparkled happily for any reason to help others made the young General happy. It was why he had worked harder than any other cadet and was rewarded when the King gave him the position of General. Now he was aiming to be a Knight yet it wasn’t ambition that drove him. It was pure-hearted love of the people whom he wanted to protect that fueled his success. “It would be an honor Sir!” Nathanial walked over to the elderly peasant and took his hand to help him up, leading the person out so that they could get the King’s orders underway. The Nobles looked on with disdain for none thought it was meaningful to help with something as minor as farming yet none would voice their complaints for they knew Gregory was a force they could not contend with. When everything was settled, the Noblemen and women left the Court for the day knowing that the King favored his family more than he did dealing with things that could be held until another day. “Come now my lovely family. Your mother made you a cake and I think we should go eat it before the maids decide to steal a bite!” The King gave both a grin as he held out his hands to pull them from their chairs. Feliks loved his father’s hands. They were strong and calloused from holding a sword yet they were gentle when they soothed his skinned knees and hushed his tears from nightmares when he was little. These were the hands that stretched out to him when they lived on the streets and these were the hands that held his mother as Queen despite her low birth.

Holding his father’s hand as they walked down the many halls and stairwells to reach the kitchens made him feel as though they were just a normal family. His mother’s soft laughs at his father’s joke, the warm grasp and the silent knowledge that all was right within their bubble made him happy. The maids cleared out of the kitchens allowing that feeling of normalcy to continue as his Mother finally stepped away from the two males to retrieve the beautifully decorated cake from the underground cellar. Together, happy and simple, they ate the cake, talking about anything that popped into their heads and laughing at silly simple things.

When the day came to a close, all Feliks remembered was the peaceful feelings and how happy his life was now. “It’s time for you to sleep Feliks. You have a big day tomorrow and you’ll want to be well rested.” His mother’s fingers tucked him in swiftly before she took a seat on the edge of the bed. “I wish we didn’t have to have the ball…the nobles don’t like us.” Feliks’s soft whisper wasn’t anything new. He had been saying such things since he was 9. “I know they don’t but for your father, we must put up with it. Besides, it is sort of fun to disturb them.” Matilda’s answer still had not changed as she brushed the stray hairs from his face and kissed the eleven year olds forehead. “Remember Feliks…you are beautiful, you are strong and you are a Prince. You have two parents who love you and maids that worship you just for giving them a smile.” Feliks smiled softly and closed his violet eyes tiredly, a small yawn escaping. “I know mama and I love you all too…” his voice was hushed and slurred with sleep. “Good night, my sweet child.”

The last thing he heard before sleep took him was the gentle click of her heels and the door shut.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

322 8 43
Two months have passed since the conversation between Princess Elise and Grace. With the appearance of EleniumFruyes, Haren starts training to contro...
1.5K 94 21
All Autumn has ever wanted was to be able to live a peaceful life, but there always seems to be something that gets in her way. Her life has been alw...
186K 10.1K 51
Don't get frostbitten while reading this dark, gripping, passionate retelling of Snow White. Icelyn, the princess of the Winter Realm, is being used...
2.6K 495 26
"Beware that you become not the very monster you ought to slay." A shapeless, abstract entity of darkness in the guise of a human. A broken swordsma...