This Love

Door jowanderstruck

Life has always been about survival for Madi Daniel, a young independent woman whose life was about to change... Meer

This Love
Chapter One- Suit Guys and Shiny Cars
Chapter Two- Busy Offices and Sexy Backs
Chapter Three- New Uniforms and New Jobs
Chapter Four- Work Lates, Past Talks and Manic Mondays
Chapter Five- Short Dresses and Drunk Perverts
Chapter Six- Car Sleeps and Unexpected Visits
Chapter Seven- Free Car Rides and Thumb Wrestlings
Chapter Eight- Boy Bands and Lunches
Chapter Nine- Fancy Hotels and Dinner Dates
Chapter Ten- Young Millionaires and Firework Displays
Chapter Eleven- Annoying Jerks and Hot Ramens
Chapter Twelve- Snobbish Bosses and Expensive Phones
Chapter Thirteen- Broken Glasses and Meatball Spaghettis
Chapter Fourteen- Korean Noodles and Hotdogs
Chapter Fifteen- Sharings and Messages
Chapter Sixteen- Hobbies and Sisters
Chapter Seventeen- Likes and Apologies
Chapter Eighteen -Big Houses and Abundant Breakfasts
Chapter Nineteen- Deliveries and Pedestrian Lanes
Chapter Twenty- Hospitals and 'Things'
Chapter Twenty-One- Fresh Strawberries and Chocolate Kisses
Chapter Twenty-Two- New Relationships and Meet-Up Plans
Chapter Twenty-Three- Changed Routines and Bowling Alleys
Chapter Twenty-Four- Cozy Bars and Singing Angels
Chapter Twenty-Six- Resolved Issues and Hunted Pasts
Chapter Twenty-Seven- Farewell Kisses and Guy Best Friends
Chapter Twenty-Eight- I Love You's and Amateur Singers
Chapter Twenty-Nine- Midnight Lovers and Shy Fangirls
Chapter Thirty- Grand Birthdays and Surprise Engagements
Chapter Thirty-One- Rainy Nights and Estranged Fathers
Chapter Thirty-Two- Broken Hearts and New Addresses
Chapter Thirty-Three- Awkward Friends and Gold Packages
Chapter Thirty-Four- Peaceful Cages and Hot Professors
Chapter Thirty-Five- Hair Attachments and Posh Schools
Chapter Thirty-Six- Mellow Tunes and Heartbroken Drunks
Chapter Thirty-Seven- Smooth Moves and Lost Phones
Chapter Thirty-Eight- Drinking Buddies and Coffee Dates
Chapter Thirty-Nine- Rock Climbings and Jealous Exes
Chapter Forty- Ruined Dates and Childhood Homes
Chapter Forty-One- Parent Meetings and Walkouts
Chapter Forty-Two- Odd Fairytales and Sincere Apologies
Chapter Forty -Three- Ex-Fiancees and Empty Bedrooms
Chapter Forty-Four- Fashion Shows and Secretive Best Friends
Chapter Forty-Five- Fun Runways and Terrible Cooks
Chapter Forty-Six- Father Issues and Father Sides
Chapter Forty-Seven- Boyfriends
Chapter Forty-Eight- Nightouts, Business Meetings and Surprise Dinners
Chapter Forty- Nine- Memory Lanes and Yelling Ogres
Chapter Fifty- Graduations
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Five- Semestral Breaks and Student Loans

10.2K 489 14
Door jowanderstruck

(use robot voice) Click on that star. Please click on that star. Right. Now. Thank. You.

Chapter Twenty-Five- Semestral Breaks and Student Loans

Nobody has ever said, as far as I knew, that dating was a walk in the park. If there was, I'd love to meet that person and ask for proof.

After four weeks, I have come to a realization that sometimes dating could be a sail in the storm, for a lack of better metaphor. I was aware that it wasn't all about kisses and hugs but a warning of what else it was about would've been nice. This is what I get for reading adventure stories instead of romance, zero knowledge of how a relationship works.

What made me make conclusions like these?

Exhibit A. The morning after my unexpected stage moment, Michael and I spent time together. It was all good. He made breakfast, I was bloated. We talked and laughed a lot. We teased each other with smart remarks as we lay down his gigantic couch. He made me wear clothes from his sister's clothing line. No big deal.

That afternoon, I came home to an empty boarding house. Everyone went on their way back home. It was early morning when Kyla called to say that she was already on her ten-hour bus ride to Ilocos Norte. She was excited to come home since she's been gushing about seeing her little sister, Gracie and the whole Domingo clan. They were another kind of specie.

Ali left for Pampanga by noon. I think her brother picked her up but she didn't sound too happy about it. She wanted to spend more time with Caleb before the break but she couldn't. Apparently, there's something going on between them now. Lisa, on the other hand, messaged me that her politician father sent a car for her so she didn't have to commute to Batangas.

"As if I was spending the last weeks of summer at home with a bunch of judgmental people a.k.a. my aunts and uncles. Eww." she told me. It turned out, Lisa had planned to spend our two-week semestral break in El Nido, Palawan. That being the case, she instructed the driver to take her to the airport for her 4 PM flight. "I need a beach getaway!" she exclaimed on the other line before inviting me to come with her. Images of white sand beaches and clear blue waters flashed in my head. It was tempting to say yes.

Of course, I declined. I had other plans for my semestral break which wasn't new. Work and save. Every sembreak, I had this flyering job from an ad agency and my full-time shift at Harlow.

Besides, I have another reason to stay.

Speaking of... Michael came up to the house with me. He noticed the silence and put two and two together. "You'll be alone here for two weeks?" he asked in a disapproving tone.

"No." I replied turning my face away from him.

"Madeleine."

"I won't be alone. There's Karen and Tina. They're..." I hesitated finishing my explanation because I knew where this was going. And I didn't like it. "Call center agents."

I've never really had a proper conversation with those two because they're asleep during the day for their job at night. We only said hi a couple of times when I just came home from the club and they were both on their way to work.

Michael narrowed his eyes at me. "What?"

"You alone here for two weeks with call center agents is like you alone."

"So what? I'll be at work for the rest of the day and night anyway and come home to sleep just like them. Besides, I've been doing it for four years. It doesn't matter if I'm alone."

"Of course it does. Your safety matters a lot."

I knew it! By the tone of his voice and the glint of mischief in his eyes, he was trying to imply something. I was sure of it. He was planning something in that handsome head of his.

"What are you thinking?"

"Since you'll be alone here, I was thinking... You should stay with me."

"I should?" I laughed. For what reason, I don't know. I just found the thought funny.

Me. In Michael's house. For two weeks. Imagine all the things that could happen.

"Are you finished?" he raised an eyebrow after watching me laugh at his proposition. Irritation was etched on his face as I did my best to stop chuckling.

"Sorry. I just-." I swallowed a giggle and gain back my composure. Then, I took his hand and gave it a squeeze. "I'm sorry. That's really sweet but I think it'd be best if I stay here."

"Why?"

"Because I live here. Please don't argue with me on this. Plus, I don't want you getting tired of me. You know. I want you to miss me a bit."

His lips curved into smile before pulling me into a warm embrace. I immediately wrapped my arms around his sexy back. "First of all, I'd never get tired of you. Second, I don't miss you a bit. I miss you a lot all the time. Third, I don't wanna argue with you also. So can I sleep here tonight?"

"What? No!" I was quick to push him away and disapprove.

"I'm just kidding. Even if we both wanted to which I know we do, I have a breakfast meeting tomorrow."

"You should get going then."

"I should. What time will I see you tomorrow?"

"Before or after my shift? You pick."

He cupped my face with both hands. "Both." God, I was looking up at a forehead kissing factory. I felt so lucky. Although I wondered why he had never attempted to kiss me on the lips. I mean I liked his forehead kisses and hugs but I also want to experience that kiss again.

Be patient, Madi. It's not like you're a kiss hungry girlfriend. I told myself.

I thought that afternoon we have agreed on something. But for the rest of the week, he took me to his house to eat midnight meals with him after my shift at the club. He made sure I was having enough fun with him to lose track of the time. I was always left with two choices, go home at 4 AM and reach the house an hour later or stay and sleep until 10 AM. The tempting choice was pretty obvious.

Needless to say, I was close to moving in his house and I wasn't complaining.

*****

Exhibit B. After every term, I make time to visit the accounting office to know my exact standing with my student loans. I came to the university early to do just that.

Mrs. Darren, one of the accounting clerks was the one who helped me get into the study now pay later program. I bought her favorite cupcake from a café nearby. It was the only thing I could do to repay her kindness. Aside from, being a diligent student, of course.

She welcomed me in her office with a smile as I knocked on her door. She was delighted with the treat I just handed. Her eyes twinkled as she opened the small box.

"Thank you, Madi. You're such a sweetheart."

Yeah. She's the only person who calls me that.

I smiled. "You're welcome, Mrs. Darren. I'd just like to get an update of my student loans."

"What student loans?" she asked.

"I'm part of SNPL program, remember? You helped me get accepted, right?"

"I know."

"Okay. So I just wanted to know the exact amount of my loans so I can plan on what to do."

"You mean you don't know?"

"Know what?"

To say that I was dumbfounded as I stepped out of the accounting office would be an understatement. I was literally lost. My mind went blank. I couldn't process what Mrs. Darren was saying. I couldn't understand what I was looking at.

Name: DANIEL, MADELEINE ANGEL
ID No: 12131989
Program: BSED-ENGL 4
Balance: P 0.00

Mrs. Darren repeated her explanation. I was slowly comprehending. Apparently, my balance was cleared the first day of the Finals exams. Cleared. Sixty thousand pesos. All cleared in one day?

How was that possible? More importantly, by who?

When I asked, she said it was a tall man in a suit and tie who came into her office paying out all my debts in a swish.

Of course, it was a tall man in a suit and tie. Of course, it was him. God, I think I'm going to be insane.

A tornado of emotions came inside me. I had zero student loans. I should be celebrating but I was feeling everything but that. I was frustrated, annoyed and mad. I was that weird. The debt that I've been shouldering for four years was gone in a flash. And I feel angry.

I immediately dialed Kyla. "Hey, bes!" she answered on the third ring. "What's up? It's Madi!" Suddenly, she yelled. "Sorry, it's Gracie. She wants to say hi."

There were muffled sounds before a small voice spoke on the phone. "Madeee! Why didn't you come with Pheeter Phen?" Gracie asked in her adorable 5-year old voice.

By that she meant, Peter Pan and by Peter Pan, she meant her sister. Yes, the three of us were supposed to be Peter Pan, Wendy and Tinkerbell. Gracie was Tink and I was Wendy. Gracie assigned our new names when I first came to Ilocos with Kyla.

"Tink misses Wendy too!"

"Aww. I miss you too, Tink."

"When are you coming here, Wendy?"

"Hey! You said you'll just say hi!" I can hear Kyla's voice in the background. "Give me that!"

"Wait! Bye Wendy!"

"I think Peter Pan's mad. I'll see you soon Tink!" I yelled before I felt Kyla getting back the phone.

"Ugh! Stop encouraging her to use those names on us."

"You're the only one who doesn't like it. I'm Wendy."

"Whatevs! So missed me already?"

"No. I called because I just found out this morning that my student loans have been cleared."

"So?"

"Didn't you hear what I just said?"

"OMG! What? How? Why?"

I had a one-word answer to all her questions. "Michael."

"Whoa. You're saying you're rich hot piece of ass paid off your loans?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying but please don't call him that."

She chuckled. "Sorry. Have you talked to him? I mean are you sure it was him?"

"No, I haven't but he's the only one capable of doing such thing." I answered with disapproval in my voice.

"That's right but you should still talk to him about it."

"I'm on my to him right now." I told her as I stepped in the automatic glass doors of the mall.

"Good. Lemme me know how it goes."

"Sure. I gotta go."

"Okay. Oh and bes," I waited for her to finish. "Keep calm. I can feel you scowling from here."

As per my best friend's advice, I tried to stay calm but failed. Even if I promised to come up to his office before and after my shift, I decided it'd be best if I cool down a bit.

I decided to go straight to the department store, unsure if I'd be able to see Michael without a scowl on my face. As if on cue, Michael sent a text looking for me. I ignored it because if I would reply, it'll defeat the whole cool down thing I was trying to do.

A part of me doesn't understand why I was mad. I mean hello? I was free from my student loans. I should be elated but then again, I wasn't. It bothered me how Michael spent that kind of amount of money on me without my knowledge.

First, he made me stay with him in his house. Like I said, nobody was complaining. But this was a different story.

I settled for an iced lemon tea during my break. I was in the cafeteria looking for a sit when somebody blocked my way.

"Hey girl! We miss you!" Drew greeted in a girly voice. "Where have you been on all our weekend lunches?" he asked curiously.

I didn't know how to answer that. I was tongue-tied. The truth was I've been having lunch dates with Michael for the past weeks. I don't want to tell them that.

I was about to make a little white lie when two people stood on both my side.

"She's been having lunch with us." Carlos answered for me and gave me an assuring wink.

"Yup. That's right!" Avery cheerfully agreed on my left.

"Sir Carlos and Miss Avery, good afternoon." Drew suddenly made a step back.

I never realized these two also had some authority.

"Well, like I said we miss you. Hope you can join us again some time."

"Of course. Next week will be my last week. I'll join you guys for lunch." I promised before he gave Carlos and Avery a polite nod.

"Thank you guys for saving me but you didn't have to cover for me."

"Yes, we did. You don't want to be the Lumiere headline tomorrow, do you?" Carlos muttered as we all sat around a table in the corner.

"You're right. I don't." I gave them both a grateful smiles.

"Sooo. The boss seemed irritable this afternoon." Avery queried in a whisper.

"He does huh?" I asked nonchalantly.

"It was almost scary." Carlos exagerrated.

"Is everything okay between you guys? Not that you should tell us. It's not our business. Imagine if the boss finds out we've been meddling in his relationship. Okay. Don't tell us. I still love my job." Avery rambled.

"My god, Avery. Can you stop? You sound pathetic."

I laughed as Avery punched Carlos on the shoulders and they rolled their eyes at each other.

"Tell us only if you want to, Miss Daniel."

"I'll tell you if you stop calling me like I'm your teacher and start calling me Madi like a friend."

"But-. Fine. Madi."

"Good." I paused for a moment to think of how I could tell them what happened skipping the specifics. "Your boss did something and I didn't like it."

"That's why you didn't come up earlier." Carlos concluded.

We didn't talk about the issue further. I simply told them that I was still trying to soothe my anger so I was avoiding Michael for the day.

Three hours later, I wanted to head up to Michael's office to confront him about my issue at hand. Suddenly, I decided against it. I was still irritated.

Because of that, I got another message which was rather threatening.

Where the hell are you?

Ignoring the text, I went on with my night as if nothing happened. I almost forgot I was angry at him until I saw him standing by his sports car. He was there in his usual stance leaning on his car with his hands in his pockets.

I breathed heavily before making my way to the bus stop. Hearing fast heavy footsteps behind me, I made longer strides.

"Madeleine!" he called out. "Could you please stop?"

I saw a bus coming so I hurried some more to the stop as if I had the chance of escaping Michael.

"Madeleine!" he called a few times more. I had enough.

"What?!" I snapped turning to face him.

"Why the hell are you so mad at me? I'm the one you've been ignoring the whole day. I should be the one angry." he growled before trying to calm himself. "But I'm trying not to be because I'm worried. Now tell me the reason you've been avoiding me."

"Oh I don't know. Why don't you ask the accounting office at MIU?"

His jaw dropped open as I said the words. "You already know?"

"Uh, yes and apparently you have no plans of telling me."

"I'm just waiting for the right time."

"Right time? After what two weeks?"

"I knew you'd be like this."

"What else do you expect?"

"A thank you?" He shrugged in an adorable way making my frown vanish. "Come on, Madi. I just wanted to help you. Besides half of the money was from you working for my mall."

"I was working for you for your car. That was our agreement. We had a contract."

"Don't you think that agreement's moot now? I mean you're my girlfriend, Angel."

"That's not the point." Exhaustion was starting to consume me. My voice became weaker. "You can't just spend money on me like that. It's not right."

"I'm sorry for not telling you but I'm not sorry I did what I did. Maybe we should talk later. Let's get you home. You're exhausted."

We weren't really solving anything tonight. He was right. We should talk when we both had enough sleep.

With locked hands, we walked back to his car. Where did my anger go?

"Madel?" somebody spoke behind us.

I froze on my tracks. That name. That voice. No. No way.

Here comes Exhibit C.

No long A/N this time. Just a thank you for being patient. Hope you like this chapter! :D

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

352K 17K 55
Troy Anderson had an ideal life everyone dreamed of. He had everything he wanted. Being the heir and the future CEO of their family company put a lot...
15 0 8
Idk what to write here. It's an interesting story.... I think? About infidelity, it's consequences and second chances. Might be too predictable tho ~
750 13 37
Nyeli Life Is Nothing But Down She Ready To End Things But One Night Changes Her Entire Life Read More To See Where Her Journey Leads
593 47 20
Ella Hart is a kind,enthusiastic, young lady who recently turned 18 with zero to no experience with romance. She soon starts college and makes a new...