Awake

By Tess-Di-Inchiostro

When Jonathan Sand died one night trying to save the girl he loved, he did not expect to wake up the next mor... More

Prologue - All In White
Chapter One - Missie Cream
Chapter Two - A Marked Man
Chapter Three - Everyone's Mother
Chapter Four - Dragons, Breakfast and Lucia
Chapter Five - Boneless
Chapter Six - A One-Time Hero
Chapter Seven - Midnight Operations
Chapter Eight - Venturing Upstream
Chapter Nine - Things That Have Been
Chapter Ten - In The Paradise Business
Chapter Eleven - Disloyalty
Chapter Twelve - Hide-and-Seek
Chapter Thirteen - Rise and Shine
Chapter Fourteen - Voice From The Past
Chapter Fifteen - Natalia
Chapter Sixteen - Breakfast Amongst Strangers
Chapter Seventeen - First Day in an Old Life
Chapter Eighteen - The Creeping Doubt
Chapter Nineteen - A Lesson in History
Chapter Twenty - Field-Marshal Bone
Chapter Twenty-One - Combat Training
Chapter Twenty-Two - Homesickness
Chapter Twenty-Three - A Change in Leadership
Chapter Twenty-Four - An Incomplete Plan
Chapter Twenty-Five - Into The Archives
Chapter Twenty-Six - The Nevera Papers
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Conversations, Going Nowhere
Chapter Twenty-Eight - The Corridor to Nowhere
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Blueberries, Lock Picks and Boy Scouts
Chapter Thirty - The Manufacturing Hell
Chapter Thirty-One - Siblings
Chapter Thirty-Two - The Six Family
Chapter Thirty-Three - A Night-Time Visit
Chapter Thirty-Four - The Foundations of Everything
Chapter Thirty-Five - A Place Worth Guarding
Chapter Thirty-Six - Downstairs Again
Chapter Thirty-Seven - The Democratic Vote
Chapter Thirty-Eight - Preparations for Battle
Chapter Thirty-Nine - The Final Exam
Chapter Forty - Blood-Red Corridors
Chapter Forty-One - The Colour of Afterwards
Chapter Forty-Two - Self Control and Dangerous Choices
Chapter Forty-Three - The Sound of Hearts Breaking
Chapter Forty-Four - Broken People
Chapter Forty-Five - The Elite Guard
Chapter Forty-Six - Towards The Light
Chapter Forty-Seven - The Final Plans
Chapter Forty-Eight - Something In Common
Chapter Forty-Nine - The Clockwork Door
Chapter Fifty - Into The Light
Chapter Fifty-One - If We Stay Out Here
Chapter Fifty-Two - Under The Stars
Chapter Fifty-Three - Salt Water and Reality
Chapter Fifty-Four - A Valid Point
Chapter Fifty-Five - The World
Chapter Fifty-Six - The Unsolvable Mystery

Epilogue - Rain

25 4 3
By Tess-Di-Inchiostro

Carmen looked up sharply as the first drop of water landed on her head. The clouds had been gathering overhead for some days now, growing thicker and darker, but never once had it rained. All around her, she heard people crying out, running for shelter, screaming, in sudden fear at the sheer horror of the water tumbling out of the ominous sky.

Carmen let the hammer she had been wielding slip between her fingers. She was working on building her boat, a fine construction that had been designed to perfection on great blue sheets of drawing paper pinned up on all the nearby trees. Alexei ran to them now in a panic, gathering them in, protecting them from the deluge.

They were her crew now, a little team of four set on building a boat and sailing the seas: Alexei, who could design and plan but had no talent at all for building things; Kaede, who was learning fast all Carmen could teach her; and Kevin, the only real builder on the team with a desire to see the world that almost rivalled Carmen's own. They were going to conquer foreign lands one day, make legends of their names.

One day.

For now, they were happy in the new settlement that was growing up down near the beach. There were weeks, maybe months, of work left before their boat could sail. Until then, they could eat gathered food, explore the local woods, swim in the sea each morning. Carmen was teaching them all how to live outside.

Kaede froze up when the rain hit her as though it were poison. Carmen saw fear stutter across Kevin's face. But she herself simply stood, struck dumb, as the water soaked through her clothes, bedraggled her hair, blinded her eyes.

To the distant horizon, Carmen crowed, "Rain!"

Jonathan stood by the shrouded window, looking out into the greyscale world. The rain drummed a wild tattoo on the roof. Outside, droplets leapt from puddles so that it seemed as though the water was flowing upwards as well as down. It was tempting to run outside and join the storm but Jonathan was all too aware of his still-healing wounds so he kept a blanket wrapped around his shoulders and merely watched.

In his mind's eye, Jonathan saw a woman who had been his mother choking on bitter poison, a dark-haired girl wielding a gun with blazing eyes, a series of images of things he had never known and yet remembered. Particularly the girl. He could never forget her.

Footsteps approached behind him, quiet on the floor, muffled in stolen slippers. Jonathan felt Lucia slip her hand into his, interlacing the fingers, and lean sideways against him, just barely. The warmth of her was reassuring and Jonathan squeezed her hand gently in return.

It was hard living at the resistance headquarters but there was nowhere else to stay for the time being. Arrangements would have to be made in the future. For now, Jonathan shared an old storeroom with Lucia, a nest of blankets between the cold concrete walls, a cell made liveable only by her presence in it.

There was so much to be done. The resistance had made little headway in the past year. There were battles left to be fought, lives to be lost, victories to be won. Jonathan was going to be there for all of it, all the pain and all the glory. But for now, he needed nothing more than the simple conformation of a hand in his.

Planting a kiss on the top of Lucia's head, Jonathan said, "Rain."

The first drops sent up plumes of dust from the dry earth. Miriam looked up from her cooking, raising a smudged hand to brush a stray lock of hair from her face. Beside her, Rafe looked up as well. Children stopped playing to stare.

It had been hard since Miriam had woken up, but Rafe had been there every day to help her. Daniel was well too, having been rescued from his tree, though Lucy was still missing, presumed dead. It hurt, but not as badly as it could have done.

There was work to do. Babies had been born and wounds had been healed and lives had been saved and lost in the time since Miriam had come back to life. There was little to nothing to eat and the ground was hard to sleep on. The sun was tortuous in the day and the night was cold.

Part of Miriam thought longingly of prepared food three times a day, of as much coffee as she wanted, of soft mattresses and the privacy of her own room, of a blind and legless boy with a clever mind and a smile like the sunrise. But the rest of her was falling back into the old rhythm, back into being Mother Miriam, back into suffering and loving and being loved in return.

Dreams are better than reality but Miriam would never have exchanged the two. She had her children back, and they were safe. She could protect again. She could care again. She wouldn't starve, not while Rafe had anything to do with it. Everything was going to be alright.

"It's a good omen," she decided.

"What is?" Rafe asked, having retreated to the shelter of the canvas roof.

Miriam pointed, "Rain."

Sandy was neck-deep in the river when the downpour began. He had insisted on teaching Cass to swim, though it was a slower process he thought than even his own learning had been. The boy simply couldn't get the hang of it.

"No!" Sandy cried, as Cass spluttered beneath the surface again. "Look, I'll help you."

Cass glared at him but did as he was told.

"Here," Sandy placed his hands under Cass's back, holding him up. "Pretend the water's a mattress. Let it support you."

Very slowly, Sandy removed his hands and Cass was floating, his head back in the water, light as a leaf. It was then that the drops began to spatter down, shattering the surface of the river into a crazed web of spreading spirals and sending Cass choking down beneath the surface again.

"Don't panic!" Sandy dragged him up to the surface. "It's not dangerous!"

Cass shivered, flinching away from every raindrop that landed on his skin. Sandy let him stagger to the side of the river and crawl out, hiding beneath the comparative shelter of the trees. Sandy stayed in the water, raising his arms up to the sky.

"It's not dangerous," he called. "It's perfectly normal."

"What is it?" Cass shouted, in response. "It's horrible."

Sandy laughed, "Rain!"

Nigs was stiff and sore from his still-healing knife wound as he made his way slowly down the stairs. It was the first day that he'd been allowed out of bed and his mother insisted upon fussing over him at every opportunity, about which Nigs was yet to have any complaints.

The small cottage kitchen was cosy, smelling of baking bread. There was a small vase of flowers on the table. Upstairs, in Nigs's own slope-ceilinged bedroom, there were more flowers, a perfect bunch of wildflowers brought to him by Sarah, the girl he knew he would one day marry. It had been good to see her.

Nigs couldn't get enough of it, drinking it all in: the smells, the sounds, the textures; the gingham curtains in the window, the saucepans gleaming on their rack, the little jars of herbs behind the stove. The wooden chair scraped against the slate flooring as he dragged it back and sat down.

"How are you feeling?" his mother asked. "Well enough for lunch?"

"I should think so," Nigs said, sincerely. "I'm starving."

"You always are," his mother rolled her eyes. "There's a letter for you. Came this morning."

Nigs's eyes lit up. "It did? Where is it?"

She knocked it across the table to him and he eagerly seized the battered envelope with its smudged handwriting and bent corners. He brought it to his nose and breathed in the smell of salt.

"It's from your brother, I reckon," his mother told him. "Nobody else would be writing to you from abroad."

Nigs went to tear the envelope open when he stopped, arrested, by the sound of hammering on the roof.

"What is that?" he asked.

"What?" his mother frowned at him. "Oh. The rain. Looks to be a storm brewing up. That won't do my geraniums any favours."

But Nigs was past caring about geraniums. He abandoned the precious letter from his brother and ran to the door, ignoring the stabbing pains in his chest. He threw the door open and stepped out, bare foot, into the tiny box of a front garden beyond, overflowing with pink geraniums.

The rain beat down on his head and hands, froze his feet and fingers, turned the view of the sea to a hazy blur. It battered into the dry ground with as much aggression as it could muster and Nigs could almost hear the thirsty earth guzzling it down. He threw his arms wide, watched it fall.

Exultantly, he cried, "Rain!"

Ebb was on his own when it first began to fall. He was still too badly injured to be of much use building houses in the new settlements so he had taken to solitary walks, exploring, moving as best he could on his crutches. He liked the silence. He liked having time for his own thoughts.

Since the three had gone to sleep again, the bond that had held the six sleepers and their revolutionary council together had broken away. Carmen was off doing her own thing by the sea. Sandy was working with his medic friends still, and consulting a scholar named Tae about making a better chair for Puck. Natalia was busy acclimatising herself to the world.

Nobody had time for Ebb. Perhaps it was better that way. One day soon, he was sure, he would find a job to do. He would go to them and take whatever work was offered, with some complaint but not too much, and he would try, for the first time in his life. Try to be a good person. Try to be considerate. Try, perhaps, years in the future, to win Sandy back.

Or maybe not. Maybe he would continue like this, this blissful solitude, this whimsical self-discovery, walking alone through the trees and living off the berries he trusted not to poison him and the animals he trapped himself. Maybe he'd become a children's story, of the mysterious man in the woods who would lure them away and eat them, something made to frighten them, a tale built almost on truth.

There are worse ways to survive.

When the heavens opened and the rain poured down, Ebb stopped still. It had been so long, in either life, since he had stood outside in the rain. It was cold, and his clothes clung to him, and some of his provisions would be spoiled. But it could be worse, could be so much worse.

Ebb turned his face upwards and closed his eyes, letting the raindrops splash on his eyelids, cling to his eyelashes, kiss his mouth, run their miniature rivers down his cheeks. It felt almost as though they were washing him away, cleaning him out, baptising him in his new life.

Ebb whispered, "Rain."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 24 11
The brothers wake up in a dark room then watched a video of Yui's life. When they want the truth from her it changed everything.
The Run By Junos

Science Fiction

261 56 29
Run when the light is too bright ~ Hide when the dark is too calm ~~ Jadeite moves to Forks to diagnose her hidden powers, unaware of the power play...
1.1K 240 33
AMERICAN HORROR STORY meets THE HANDMAID'S TALE with a bit of WESTWORLD weaved in Four women, fresh out of a super secret governmental experiment, ar...
307 4 19
Ryan is lost. Struck by Evil's dagger, he is catapulted into a strange land of memories and choices. He wanders the void, where past, present, and f...