in my life : camren ON HOLD

By CamilaTheJauregui

I have to be crazy, there's no other explanation. I shouldn't be seeing this, yet here I am, not only seeing... More

prologue
chapter : one
chapter : two
chapter : three
chapter : four
chapter : five
chapter : six
chapter : seven
chapter : eight
chapter : nine
chapter : ten
chapter : eleven
chapter : twelve
chapter : thirteen
chapter : fourteen
chapter : fifteen
chapter : sixteen
chapter : seventeen
chapter : eighteen
chapter : nineteen
chapter : twenty
chapter : twenty one
chapter : twenty two
chapter : twenty three
chapter : twenty five
Authors Note
chapter : twenty six
chapter : twenty seven
a/n

chapter : twenty four

54 1 0
By CamilaTheJauregui

It has been a couple of weeks since Mani and Dinah got into that argument, Dinah's really tearing herself apart because of this. Whether or not Mani's still mad I wouldn't know, she's been eating lunch in the library and avoiding all of us. Even in our classes she's been giving us the cold shoulder, she's hasn't spoken to anyone. Literally, no one. She's been alone since then, not even taking comfort in other people. I'm worried about her. The only time we've hung out was when we had to practice the song we were doing for the showcase. She'll sing her parts flawlessly and the sessions go smoothly, but when one of us brings up the idea of going out she bolts put the room.

Dinah stills disappears when we're at school, she'll sneak away from us when we're not looking but now we know where to find her. She's still hurting because she and Normani aren't talking right now but I think Ms. Coleman is helping her through this. Mani will come around though, I'm sure she would.

"One more day!" Lewis said excitedly, we perform our song for Ms. Kelly and our class tomorrow and get our results on Friday. I was a bit scared, I've never performed for anyone.

"We practicing today?" Dinah asked.

"Of course we are, we need all the practice we can get." Ally said.

"I've got a game tomorrow though." Dinah pointed out. "I have some runs to go through then I'm gone after school."

"You think we'd practice through your game?" Lauren asked.

"Dinah, we'd never do that." Ally was probably Dinah's biggest fan when she's on the court.

"I finally get to see you play!" Lewis was busy the last two games.

"Is Haiz going?" he grinned at my question.

"Yeah, we're hanging out afterwards." Lewis and Haiz have been going out for a while, I'm not sure where they stand now.

"Speaking of." Lauren pointed behind Lewis.

"What's up guys?" Hailee wrapped her arms around Loo's neck from behind him.

"Talking about Dinah's game tomorrow." I answered. She smiled.

"Can't wait." Lewis held the hand that draped over his shoulder, it was one of the cutest things I've ever seen. I'm not sure if Lewis told Hailee about Ed being his godfather yet. If not, I hope he does.

"We need to get going Haiz." Lewis said. "The girls and I need to practice our showcase song."

"Oh," she pouted. "we're still hanging out this weekend?"

"Of course we are." she faced him.

"Good." with that she kissed his cheek, they instantly burned up after that.

"Oh god." Dinah groaned. "Get a room!"

"Oh shush." Ally swatted Her arm. "They're cute."

"I agree with Ally on that one." Lauren laughed.

"Same."

"Please," Dinah scoffed. "nothing is cuter than Camren." I rolled my eyes.

"You still live for Camren, dontcha?" I asked her.

"Girl, you don't even know!" she threw her hands up.

"You don't even want to see the girl when we do something even remotely cute for each other." Lauren told Hailee and Lewis.

"I've seen her." Lewis said. "She talks about Camren nonstop after something like that happens."

"Did you know..." Hailee got his attention. "I really love your accent?" Lauren and Dinah audibly groaned causing her face to light up.

"All of this!" Ally gestured at the two of them with her tiny hands. "All of this makes me so nauseous."

"Did you know..." I turned to Lauren, clearly mocking Haiz. "I really love your accent?"

"I really love my accent too." her voice was heavy with her Chicano girl accent, making all of us laugh.

"Laurenza is in the house!" Dinah shouted. We all quieted after the use of Mani's nickname for Lauren.

"Let us go, yeah?" we all nodded, I sent Mani a quick text.

Me: Practice today at Loo's house.

To my, surprise she replied.

ManiBear: Okay

***

"You guys are great. Honestly." Ed praised. "Great song choice too."

"Thanks." us girls said in accidental unison. He clapped his hand together.

"I swear, you plan these things!" he exclaimed.

"We don't, really. It just happens." Mani said. She's talking more, that's a really good start.

"Just happens my foot." he laughed. "I ought to change your guys's name to Ed's Angels."

"I refuse to be apart of something called Ed's Angels." Lewis said.

"You live under Ed's roof, you are apart of Ed's Angels." Loo's mouth stood agape and his shoulders slouched, Ed sent a smug grin his way.

"We're not seriously gonna change it, are we?" Lewis asked.

"I don't know. I kinda like it." Dinah said.

"Me too." Mani agreed, Dinah looked over at her with wide eyes. Hell, even Ed was surprised when she agreed with Dinah and he doesn't even know what's going on.

"Fuck yeah! Ed freaking Sheeran gave it to us." Lauren said, she then smiled sheepishly and shrugged when she looked over at Ed. "Sorry, gotta let the fangirl slip sometime right?"

"I don't mind." he said, I knew one of us would slip up. I just didn't think Lauren would be the first of us, she's always so collected. "So, Ed's Angels, let's run through that one more time?"

***

"That was excellent! Give a round of applause for... Ed's Angels?" Ms. Kelly praised us.

"It's a long story." Lewis grumbled about the name as our classmates clapped for us. We did great, honestly. I felt so alive under the watchful eyes of my peers, I felt even better receiving their praise. I knew the girls felt the same, they all wore the same expression I'm sure I am wearing right now. I'm pretty sure Loo is used to this by now, he said he's performed before he still gets that rush though. We walked away from the front of the room, saying our thank you's to people who complimented us. Ms. Kelly introduced the next group, they were great. We had a lot to go up against, solo artist and groups. I mean, it wasn't that much but it felt like a lot, almost overwhelming. Even if we didn't win we'd at least get an A, I think we did well enough for that.

"Wow, so many great acts." Ms. Kelly said after the bell rang. "Unfortunately I can only pick one of you, I wish I could just pick you all and squish you into that timeframe!" Ms. Kelly sulked, she's such a free spirit. It's adorable really, she's one of my favorite teachers. "See you guys in class, oh and good luck to the lady Hedgehogs! They're playing tonight, don't forget to support our team."

"Thanks Ms. Kelly." Dinah said, to which the other blonde replied.

"Win the game, Dinah!" she waved and we walked to lunch.

"I'll catch you guys later, Ms. Coleman needs to see me." Dinah said.

"Of course she does." I winked her way, making her blush.

"Tell her I said hi." Ally said.

"Me too." Lauren added.

"Okay, see you later." we all said goodbye, Mani nodded her goodbye. I was surprised she was still here, usually she runs away right after we have performing arts.

"See you." she told Dinah, Lewis watched with a gaping mouth. He was there throughout the whole argument, he's probably happy that Mani is finally talking to Dinah again.

"Bye." with that the blonde jogged away, not even acknowledging the fact that Mani was talking to her again .

"Hi." Mani addressed us. I was still surprised, but I shook myself out of it and replied.

"Hey." she took a deep breath.

"Look, I'm sorry for overreacting." she rushed. "I don't know what to do, I feel like I've ruined my relationship with Dinah. I miss her so fucking much. Do you know how incomplete my days feel without her? Without all of you? Everytime something new happens I find myself opening your contact names so I can tell you all about it like everything's normal, like I didn't fuck everything up." she looked close to tears, Lewis pulled her into a comforting hug.

"It's okay Mani." Lauren told her.

"No, let me finish." Ally and I held her hands. "I can't believe I acted that way towards her, so much must've been happening and I made it worse. I'm scared guys." she sniffles. "What if I lost her?"

"You didn't lose her Mani." Lauren pulled her into her arms so now she was squished between her and Lewis. "She's just as scared as you are."

"It's true, she misses you Mani." Lewis said.

"What do I do?" she asked, she sounded so vulnerable right now.

"Just apologize, you'll both feel better when you do." Ally advised.

"I don't know if I can. Everytime I go to talk to her I back out, apologizing is way harder than starting conversation."

"We're here for you Mani." I said, because it's true. "Dinah needs this, you need this, we all do. There's nothing to be afraid of, the only thing that'll make this worse is time." she wiped her eyes.

"You're right." she said. "I'll apologize today."

***

Dinah's P.O.V.

I was walking down the halls to Z's room, my chest felt heavy. She's finally talked to me. I hope she's not mad at me for leaving to go to Ms. Coleman, I mean that's was started all this bullshit. Why can't she understand? I told her I loved Ms. Coleman, funny how I haven't even told Ms. Coleman about any of this. Let alone that I loved her.

As I walked I heard heavy footsteps trailing behind me. I turned around to an empty hall, that alone sent chills down my spine. I sped up, putting as much distance between me and my follower. I couldn't hear them anymore though, what in the world? I looked over my shoulder again, the only thing that filled these halls was the light filtering from the windows. I'm paranoid, shit like this always gets to me. Especially since the picture incident, whoever that was wants something from me. When I turned back around I collided with someone. I flailed my arms around trying to engage in self defense, now I'm wishing I took those boxing lessons from my cousin when he offered. They caught my arms and pulled me up from the floor.

"Holy shit!" I grabbed my chest.

"What's wrong?" Siope asked.

"You scared the shit out of me, that's what's wrong." he laughed.

"Sorry." I gave him a dirty look.

"Next time warn a girl."

"Next time?" he asked, hope dripping from the question hanging in the air.

"Or whenever you decide to sneak up on me." I clarified, I really didn't want anymore problems with this kid.

"Right." he scratched the back of his head. "So, you're playing today?" I gave him a duh look.

"Would you sit a game out?" I asked the captain of the boys team, he shrugged.

"No, I guess not."

"Then I am obviously playing today." he blushed.

"Of course, that was a stupid question." he said.

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers." I quoted many of my teachers. "But yeah, that was a stupid question."

"I'll be in the crowd tonight." he grinned. "Supporting my lady Hedgehogs, one in particular." I rolled my eyes.

"Siope, stop." he furrowed his brows. "I really didn't want to say this but, it's over. Please, stop trying."

"Did I say it was over?" his mood instantly changed, he was suddenly all up in my face. I internally cringed.

"No, but I did." he scowled.

"That's not how it goes Dinah." he growled.

"That's how it went down Siope." I growled back, my patience was at its thinnest with him.

"You'll regret this. I know you will." I pushed past him.

"Don't talk to me again Siope." I said sternly, he was livid. You can almost literally see the smoke coming out of his big ass head. I nearly laughed. What did I ever see in him? "Goodbye." I turned back in the direction of Ms. Coleman's room.

I was a couple minutes late when I made it. When I walked in Zendaya looked up, her brows furrowed above her glasses when she looked at me.

"What's wrong?" she asked. I just shook my head, everything is wrong right now. "Please Dinah, talk to me." she patted her lap, my favorite seat. I walked over to her, sitting down and clinging onto her shirt. After a few minutes she broke the silence. "Are you going to talk to me?" I took a deep breath.

"Everything is wrong, Z." I mumbled. "I don't know where to start."

"How about the beginning?" she suggested.

"There was a picture..." I recited the whole thing, eventually crying when my argument with Mani came up. "She was so disappointed in me. She didn't understand anything I tried telling her, like I was wrong. So I told her I loved you." I whispered the last part. I'm sure she caught it though because her eyes widened.

"Are you sure?" she asked after a while, I only nodded. "Say it." she demanded. I mustered up every feeling, all this anger, all the sadness, all the happiness she's made me feel, even the stress and stuffed it into those three words.

"I love you." her eyes widened again. "I fucking love you." I said more forcefully, the words becoming easier to say yet not stripped of their truth.

"You're sure." she confirmed, she ran a hand through her loose hair almost frustratingly.

"Too soon?" I asked, I've never felt this exposed in my life.

"No, not at all." she assured me. "Right on time actually." I grinned.

"How do you know?" I asked her. She rubbed her thumb under my eye, wiping away the last of my sorrow.

"You never know, you just feel it." she planted a soft kiss on my lips. When she pulled away she rested her forehead against mine, meeting my eyes. "Dinah Jane Hansen, you drive me crazy. No other feeling compares to what you make me feel and I am perfectly okay with that, because I love you. I've fallen in love with you and I'm pretty content with tumbling deeper and deeper into it as long as you're with me."

"You're such an English teacher." I teased. "But I love you."

***

Lauren's P.O.V.

"You aren't going to beleive this." I nudged Camila's side, she looked up at me curiously.

"What?" we were in study hall, I decided to search the address to the house across the street from Dinah's and my jaw dropped at the results.

"I looked up the address and that's what I found." she leaned her body towards the monitor, her elbows resting on my thighs.

"Woah." she breathed out.

"My reaction exactly." I agreed.

"That's convenient." she said, I laughed, remembering all the times I told her that referring to her feelings towards me.

"Right? He just had to be on our list of suspects."

"I knew I had a weird feeling about that person."

"Do you think his sister takes care of him?" I asked, remembering Bryan's mental disability.

"Maybe, we'll just have to find out." she said, I loved her need to take action. She's didn't need to do this, yet here she was making all the plans.

"How are we going to do that?" she laughed.

"Sleepover at Dinah's, duh."

"We're spying on them?"

"I guess, how else are we gonna get info?" she's so cute when she gets all detectivey. The way her brows furrow when she concentrates, or how she chews the inside of her cheek when she's onto something, or how her eyes squint when she's suspicious, all of these little things make her so loveable. She snapped her fingers in front of my face. Shit. She caught me staring, play it cool Jauregui. "Detectivey?" she arched an eyebrow.

"Detectivey?" I repeated her question. Had she really heard that?

"Lauren, you were sitting there mumbling nonsense." she laughed.

"Really?"

"Yes, really." she bopped my nose, causing it to scrunch. "You think I'm cute."

"Surprise, surprise." I rolled my eyes.

"Who woulda on known?" she played along. "Now that I've caught you out, what have you got to say for yourself?"

"I think I've said it all." those words were far from it all but I don't think I can conjure up enough words to sum everything up. "When should we bring up a sleepover with Dinah?" I changed the subject.

"Maybe tonight? After Mani apologizes and we're all happy."

"Sounds good." I agreed.

***
Lauren's P.O.V.
Mani sat with us later at the game, she looked really nervous. She kept her head down most of the game, her eyes searching for answers on her lap. When Dinah scored for our school though, that's when she seemed normal. She stood up in her seat cheering Dinah on like the rest of our school, I even spotted Ms. Coleman there cheering loudly like us boisterous teens. I smiled at that, she obviously likes Dinah enough to support her. Ms. Coleman caught my eye and gave a small wave, I lifted my hand up and waved back, offering a small smile. Can't say I don't approve, she makes Dinah happy. Mani noticed the exchange.

"She really isn't that bad, is she?" Mani asked over the roar of the crowd.

"She makes her happy." I vocalized my thoughts. Normani nodded and breathed deeply.

"That says it all then, Dinah deserves happiness." she said. We watched Ms. Coleman watching Dinah, she had an adoring smile gracing her features now and then replaced with her cheering face. "She really likes her."

"That's love, Mani." I pointed out, she nodded. We went back to the game that, obviously, Baneswell was winning.

When we finally scored the winning shot Dinah ran around the court with the ball, her tied back hair trailing behind her. The crowd roared and we ran down to meet her.

"You were great like always." Ally said.

"Yet another reason to call you Mufasa." Lewis said, causing Dinah to scowl and unfamiliar laughter to follow afterwards. All of our heads whipped towards the sound.

"I'm so sorry." she held her stomach. "Dee, the name fits." Ms. Coleman said between laughs.

"Oh no." Dinah groaned. "Not you too."

"Mufasa." Ally said, cackling afterwards.

"It fits Dinah. Can't get rid of it." Mani said. Dinah smiled and opened her arms, Mani ran into them despite her post game sweat. "I'm so sorry." Mani cried.

"Welcome back." Dinah said.

"I never left, Dinah." she held on tighter. "I fucking missed you, Mufasa." she hiccuped.

"Missed you too Normani." Dinah's face screwed up. "Please, don't make me cry. I don't feel like crying Mani. It's okay, I'm happy now. It's okay." she rubbed her back. Mani pulled away and wiped her face.

"I think I owe you an apology too." she addressed Ms. Coleman. "I was just worried about what might happen if anyone ever found out, both of you can get in a lot of trouble for this. But you guys make one another happy."

"We do." Ms. Coleman smiled at Dinah, she returned it. The scene was so affectionate, I held Camila's hand and smiled down at her.

"Be careful. Please, I don't want anything messing up that happiness." Mani continued. "I'm so sorry guys, I really am."

"Mani, it's okay." Dinah assured her. "Just don't go doing that again. You're the Nicki to my Bey, things ain't right if you're not there." Mani cried again.

"Really?"

"Really." she said. "Let's go celebrate the win, and our friendship."

When she realized she was covered in Di-Nah sweat she wore a disgused expression. "Does anyone have a hair tie?" I held one up.

"Thanks Laurenza." she smiled gratefully, tying up her hair.

"No problem."

"How about I take you kiddos somewhere? My treat. You guys deserve it." Ms. Coleman proposed.

"Pizza!" Camz screamed.

"Pizza?" Ms. Coleman asked.

"Yeah, post game ritual." Dinah said. She nodded.

"Pizza it is." she confirmed.

"Yuuuusssss!" the small girl next to me ran ahead, her hands up in the air.

"Camz!" I called after her. "You forgot something." she turned around and blushed, running back to me. She ran behind me, to my confusion. It all became clear when she jumped on my back and wrapped her legs around me.

"This is Camren?" Ms. Coleman asked Dinah. She grinned and nodded. "You're right, they are cute." she gushed. I shook my head and kept walking.

"Haiz and I are gonna get going." Lewis said, he was blushing slightly. I felt Camz move her arm on my back and seen that she was giving him a thumbs up. He blushed harder. "We'll catch you later." he waved then grabbed Hailee's hand, she waved too.

"Have fun!" Mani yelled after them.

"Troy said he and Arin are going to meet us there." she was looking down at her phone. We walked out of the school and into the October air, Camz held me tighter for more warmth. She was still wearing summer attire, not yet ready to let the season go. "Arin said to call him Mani."

"You haven't talked to Arin either?" the girl above me asked, in the dark I could barely make out that Mani wore a guilty expression. Our school needs better lighting.

"I needed space to think. I'm calling him now, you guys go ahead I'll meet you in the parking lot."

We walked on as she stayed behind and called Arin.

***

Our queen won the game, as always. This school will be devastated when she's gone. Who will win games for Baneswell now? They'll say. Who will rule over us through our hormonal teenaged state? They'll think. All together, all in unison, all in sync they'll mourn, because they're immature, bigoted, robots who can't think for themselves. Who can't function without a queen, just like ants.

I'll teach them though, I'll show them they're independent. Not in need of a queen or a ruler. I'll change highschool. I'll change the world, popularity will no longer be an aspect in our lives. We will rule by superiority.

"Hey, uhhh. What's up?" I glared at the stupid boy, how dare he bump into me then ask "what's up?" idiot. "Alright. I'll see you around." he took off, another example of bigotry.

I kept brooding as I walked, people made sure to mill around me and not near. My mood possibly sent off angry vibes.

Those vibes soon disappeared though, I seen her walk off. Alone. I know it's her, even in the dark, she walks with the grace of royalty. Her hairs up in the required ponytail for girls basketball playing.

I looked around me, the people on school grounds were quickly diminishing. Good, real good. She walked to a quiet, dark part of the area and held her phone up to her ear. Now is the time. Now.

***

Mani's P.O.V.

"Hey." I spoke into the phone, I hope he isn't mad.

"Hey." I smiled when I heard him, god I missed his voice. "What happened?"

"A lot." I cringed, it sounded as if I were being evasive. "Not between us though, I mean with Dinah and I. I needed space to think about it. I'm sorry." I felt like I apologized like a million times today, all of them were much needed though.

"It's fine babe, I understand. Don't shut yourself away from others though, it's not good for you. Next time talk to me, I'd like to take care of my girlfriend." I grinned and my heart leapt out of my chest at the last part.

"We're official?" I asked him, he laughed over the line.

"Do you want to be official?"

"Yes, I'd really like that." I can't wait to see him now, to be able to tell everyone about us.

"Thank god." he breathed. "I'm so happy that worked!" his breath puffed over the line.

"Are you working out?" I asked over curiosity.

"Sorry." he said. "Celebratory push ups."

"You're so cute!" I laughed.

"I am manly." I could hear his blush.

"You're blushing aren't yo-" I stopped mid sentence. I heard something.

"What happened?"

"Nothing, I thought I heard something." I looked around me still, it was pretty dark right now. I backed up against the wall to ensure that no one would stand behind me.

"Be careful." he said. "Go find the girls, I'll see you later."

"Stay on the phone with me?" I was scared now, I listened closely. It sounded like shuffling, or fast footsteps.

"Okay, just go find the girls." I started walking quickly in the direction they went. That is until someone grabbed me.
"Arin! Someone ha-" a hand covered my mouth.

"Shhhhh.. It'll be over soon." I screamed under his hand.

"Mani! Mani, what happened!?" Arin yelled over the phone, it lay on the floor a couple feet in from of us. He dragged me towards the phone. "I'm calling the cop-" he stepped on it.

"I've waited too long," he breathed in my ear, making me cringe in his arms. "I don't think I can wait until we leave." wait for what?! This can't be happening. I tried screaming, he didn't let up. He pressed something against the left side of my rib cage.

I felt pain, instantly screaming with all I had. He pressed deeper, I'm pretty sure he cut something up inside me. The knife sliced a couple more inches to the right and I felt like passing out, the pain was unbearable.

"Mani! Holy shit. Someone help!" I heard Lauren scream, they let go of me and cursed. "Get away from her!" she was running towards us.

"I didn't get her." he mumbled to himself before running. I've heard that voice before, where from? I didn't know. Even as I drifted away into a pain induced slumber I couldn't for the life of me remember.

"Mani. Oh god, Mani. Stay awake please. Stay awake." Lauren cried from above me, holding her hand on my wound.

"Someone call 911, hurry up. She's losing consciousness." I heard Ms. Coleman say.

"This can't be happening, Mani stay with us." Dinah cried.

"Mani be strong." Ally was also crying.

"Please! We need paramedics, at Baneswell high. She was stabbed. Please hurry!" Mila was screaming. "Mani hold on, they're coming." that's the last thing I heard before darkness.

[Chapter Song: Wonderless by Pierce the Veil.]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.1K 1.3K 13
It had been three years. They always got together on the same two days. It was all they could do. No one let them do anything. They couldn't search...
404K 16.9K 66
It's 2016. This is Miami. We're both young, naive idiots who could never comprehend the dark underbelly of this world. You've been broken, and you ne...
26.6K 926 22
Ever felt like you never really remembered what you had for dinner the night before? You always had that feeling of not knowing anything. Why? You're...
16.1K 1.2K 36
You never know what life will throw at you...one minute you're in the clouds and the next you're being hunted down. How did things get so complicated...