In want of a wife (A Dr. Who...

By CIRaccon

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single Time Lord in possession of a good TARDIS must be in wan... More

Author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Epilogue
The sequel

Chapter 6

142 3 2
By CIRaccon

"A screwdriver?"

Useful in a way to distract her from the pain her ankle caused, Rose could not however find any other reason for it being helpful in her situation.

"Do you, by chance, have a medicine box you need to unscrew?" She ventured.

The Doctor smiled at her cautious inquiry.

"This is no mere screwdriver. It does unscrew bolts when needed, but there is no need, nor want for that now, is there?"

"There must be a reason for you to show it to me, or do you simply want to provide distraction? You are doing a good job, if that is your goal."

Laughing, the Doctor went in search for words to explain. Trying a few times to begin an explanation, but seizing before taking of, he finally sighed and spoke: "There is no simple way of telling you. I had better just show you and answer questions later. I promise you, it will cause no pain. It will feel awkward to be sure, but that will be of short duration."

He took her hand and made sure her focus was on him completely, before concluding: "I will never hurt you Rose Tyler."

Unable to speak, Rose simply nodded and watched with great interest as he set the blue tip of the strange tool against her injured foot and pushed a small button.

Great was her surprise at seeing a light come from the tool, instantly revealing it to be the torch used to light their way two nights back. Even more astonishing was the buzzing sound it produced, doing what it did to her foot.

The Doctor's hand placed firm on her leg just above her ankle, avoided her withdrawing her foot in haste, when it began to heat up.

She made a sound of fright and the Doctor quickly stopped.

"Did it hurt you?"

Rose found it did not, and finding a little relieve in that, she shook her head.

Very gently he asked: "Does it feel warm?"

"Yes," she managed to breathe.

"It will only take another moment, will you trust me?"

Upon her nod, he pushed the button again.

Rose was sure she tasted blood, from biting her lip too hard, nevertheless the pain in her ankle was miraculously dissipated. She sat in shock, looking at her bare foot in the Doctor's hand. He just knelt there, waiting for her to calm down. His eyes rested on her face in clear anticipation, as he held the screwdriver for her to see. At last she held out her hand and he placed the object of her recovery in it.

"This Sir, is not a screwdriver."

The Doctor laughed, relieved that her shock was of short duration.

"It has the same basic function, that of opening things. Other than that, it can also be used for different means."

"Such as healing? You can make a fortune, selling this technology to hospitals."

"The world is not ready yet, they would do little good with it, even though meaning well."

"Is it of your making?"

"It is."

"How is that possible? I have never seen anything that resembles this in the slightest manner. You are a remarkable man, having such knowledge."

Rose could not withhold her admiration, she imagined it had to be evident in her eyes, for the Doctor waved his hand and stood up.

"Do you feel up to standing? Or would you rather rest a little longer?"

"Oh no, I am not in the least fatigued, and I am very curious to determine whether your device was sufficient enough to make me walk as before."

Standing up with help of both his hands, Rose found her foot to be better than ever. She leaned on it, first a little tentative, but soon with full weight. She felt nothing of the obtained injury and marvelled again at the brilliance of the man before her.

She knelt down again to put her shoe back on and the Doctor picked up the almost empty basket.

"Please, leave it here. We will return for it later. Don't bother yourself on carrying it any further, for no good reason."

The Doctor obeyed readily and held out his arm. Rose, aiming to secure a more intimate gesture, shook her head and shyly held out her hand. The Doctor smiled and took it, wrapping his long fingers firmly about hers.

"You amaze me, Miss Tyler," the Doctor began after a few minutes of walking towards the trees.

"How so?"

"You accept a rare design such as my tool, without much ado. I would have thought – no, yours is not to be compared to the commonplace female intelligence. You have outshone those on many occasions before. From the first moment I met you, I suspected you above all people might be able to grasp the concept of what I plan on showing you."

"You have created more wondrous inventions?"

"There is one, of whom I cannot claim construction nor design, that is however in my care. I only fear it will seem – shall I say – too alien for you, to be comfortable with."

"You only heighten my curiosity in uttering such statement. Is it nearby? Can we go see?"

"We can. However I must ask of you beforehand, not to disclose its presence to an other living soul. On first sight it may not look like much, and is easily forgotten. But should it, for some reason be taken from me, I would be in great distress."

"Rest assured, I will take you secrets with me to the grave. Also, should you ever have enough faith in me to reveal to me your true name, I will not mention that to another living being either."

There was a smile on Rose's face, while mentioning that last detail. She was quite resolved in naming the gentleman for the rest of her days, nothing other than the Doctor. Though she did not stop wishing for a regard shown to her by a confession of true identity.

After a short ponderous silence, the Doctor spoke: "Where I come from, a name is given to reflect one's soul. Should one utter it, that person would have a claim on me. Only those, whose reliability is sound, are entrusted with the secret so dangerous; that it could destroy me."

Rose was momentarily stunned, for she did not expect such a revelation. When again finding her composure, she asked: "And if I may, those who do know your name-"

"There is no one left."

The gravity of those words, gave more apprehension than all recent experienced consternation. Rose gasped and placed her free hand instantly on theirs joined together.

"I am so sorry. I presume those closest to you in familiar intimacy where among them? Can you tell me what happened? I understand fully if you wish to remain silent of the matter, but please understand I only ask out of concern and a heartfelt wish to know you better."

The Doctor stood still for a moment, looked at the young girl beside him and then briefly caressed her face with his free hand.

The result was instantaneous. Rose felt her heartbeat quicken considerably. Never before had any man other than her father toughed her so affectionate. Her cheeks flushed bright red, her eyes became wide and her lips parted a little. She took her left hand abrupt from theirs and turned away abashed. Therefore she did not see the tender smile the Doctor bestowed on her.

He allowed her to recover her serenity and softly led her on their path.

"My parents died, in storm and fire. It was long ago and too terrible to occupy your lovely mind with. I have always been a wanderer, and solitude is no stranger to me, therefore the loss is felt, to be sure, but not with agony and want."

"Your journeys have taken you far?"

"Further than you can ever imagine."

"I would love to see more of the world. My travels have not taken me beyond London to one end, and the Lakes on the other."

It was then but on the tip of her tongue, to ask the Doctor if he would take her with him. The very thought astonished her. That she would assume such a position of confidence, that such a request would not be looked upon with contempt. It would be utterly incongruous and improper. Yet the thought of him leaving her behind one day, became worse with each passing hour.

"Travelling requires a very different state of mind, my dear Rose, all the comforts of a well situated mansion are forfeit. There will be little chance of maintaining friendships, you might not see your loved ones for a very long time."

"How is that any different than marrying, say, a gentleman from the north? I dare say many a young lady before me has gone that path and they are all equally satisfied with only the simple means of a visit at Christmas and a letter now and then."

"There will be no balls."

"I can survive without the pleasure."

"No fancy dresses, though I loathe to have to relinquish the pleasure of seeing you in them."

Rose blushed again and answered: "I should think they make alternative fine clothes, fit for travelling and pleasant to your eye."

"Aye, they sure do." The Doctor laughed at her replies to counter his attempts to discourage her.

"And pray tell me, my young friend, how far would you accompany me, should I extend the invitation?"

On this question, Rose felt all her future happiness depend and summoning the courage to be as daring as possible, she responded: "To the ends of the Earth."

They were walking during the conversation and Rose felt all the advantage of not having to look the gentleman in the eye. Should he not have held her hand, it would be trembling and should they not have been outside among rustling leaves, she was sure he would have heard her heartbeat.

He would say no more now, she had been too audacious. He would surely think her naive; petitioning for a treat, like an upstart child. He would not deem her fit to travel with him. She knew nothing; spoiled all her life, grown up with not a care in the world, other than what to wear to the next soirée. Any second now he would ask her to return to the mansion and that would be the end of it. Oh, why did she ever display so much sentiment.

He perplexed her by doing none of the above. On the contrary, when she dared glance his way, she saw a smile on his face that was best described as a radiant beam.

"To the ends of the Earth? Well my dear Rose, I have been there, it was quite lonely, I would be very happy indeed to have your lovely presence there with me. However we should not get to far ahead of ourselves, all in due course. There is one more thing I intend to show you, and after that I will have but a single wish I will convey to you."

They here after arrived at a spot rather familiar to Rose. She had almost forgotten about it altogether until, after rounding a last corner, there it was again.

"I have been here before. I stumbled upon this strange thing about a fortnight ago. I have no idea what to make of it or why anyone cared to put it here. It does not open, I've tried, and the words don't make sense. Doctor, you are a man of great knowledge, have you any idea as to what this strange blue contraption might be?"

Staring at the rattling young woman, the Doctor could not but be diverted. When she let go of his hand to walk around the box, he crossed his arms and simply watched her in great amusement.

Suddenly the sky above them broke. A huge cloud, unnoticed and unforeseen, brought down on them such a fall of water, that they were drenched in mere seconds.

Rose squealed in surprise and then, running back to the Doctor as quick as the dense vegetation permitted, she burst out laughing, for there was nothing to be done and nowhere to go for shelter.

Considerable therefore, was her astonishment, when the Doctor took a key from yet another of his pockets and opened the door to the mysterious blue box. Being content to take shelter even in a pigs shed at that moment, Rose took the extended hand and let herself be pulled indoors.

Her heart stopped beating, her eyelids forgot how to blink and the brown of her irises was barely discernible. The Doctor's hands were on her waist in an instant, when her knees faltered a little, but she did not notice. All she could do was gaze, and at last she let out a single syllable:

"Oh."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

169K 4.3K 24
#6 in #tenthdoctor She escaped the Time War. She stole a TARDIS and ran. She left everything behind. Her family, her friends, and her soulmate. She...
101 6 8
The last time Rose saw the Tardis the Doctor had left her with a piece of himself: a piece of himself that she's grown to love just as much as the or...
179K 7.2K 195
Doctor Who X Reader - Book 3 Feat - 11 & 12th Doctor {Y/N} and The Doctor -the only two surviving Time Lords- have been travelling together since th...
41.5K 1.7K 21
Rose and The Doctor are still travelling in the TARDIS, but will they ever admit their feelings for each other before it's too late? "Rose Tyler, I-"...