Better days (JJxOC)

By jjblackbird

Maya Prentiss is Emily's little sister. She was a caring person with a big heart but the world can be cruel s... More

Black jacket
Four of a kind
Small talk
A lonely club
Trust issues
Favorite hoodie
Toy car
Trust fund baby
Better safe than sorry
The pretty one
Secret language
Busy night
Guilty
I'm sorry
Truth or dare
Waste of space
Grow up
Our home
Prophecy
Taboo
Unexpected guest
Mad woman
It's my fault
Good samaritan
That look
You did that
Cowboy crap

Baby marshmallows

538 11 6
By jjblackbird

So we laid there for about an hour. Each one of us thinking everything through and just keeping each other company. I think it's time we need to figure out what it is that we're doing. I could keep doing whatever this is but that's only because Garcia wasn't totally wrong. I did teach myself not to let anything affect me and not to feel anything. But our relationship right now is confusing and it's not healthy.

Now I just had to choose the right words to say what I wanna say and I have trouble with that because sometimes I can be a little sarcastic.

"Can we talk now?" I asked.

"Yeah," JJ said.

"So what's on your mind?" I asked.

"That this kinda feels like the old times," she said, "I like seeing this side of you again. I missed," she stopped for a second, "It. I missed it."

Was she gonna say she missed me or is it my brain playing tricks on me now?

"What side?" I furrowed my eyes.

"The warm one. The way you talk, just the way you are. It's so comforting and just always hits me where I need to," she said, "It's like the dark has gone away."

"Why do ya'll keep talking about the dark? I'm not that bad," I said.

"Whatever you say, Maya," she said.

"Garcia said something similar. But come on, don't you like my jokes?" I asked.

"Sure I do," she chuckled, "I never expect what you're gonna say next."

"Same," I chuckled, "It's just come out."

"I can tell you've been thinking about something. What is it?" She asked me.

"Well, I was just wondering where we stand. I mean I told you I can be your person and we would do this your way. And we're kinda doing that, but I'm not gonna be your punching bag JJ," I said, "Don't get me wrong, I know it's not something you do on purpose."

"I'm sorry," she said, "I really didn't mean what I said."

"I know, don't worry about that. What I'm saying is that you were in a toxic relationship. So now that I'm willing to be here for you just because I want to and that's that, you have trouble believing that. So now you're the one bringing the toxic behavior because healthy is weird for you right now," I said, "That's really not that surprising."

"So what do I do?" She asked.

"Just try to trust me? I know it's not easy to rewire your brain and make new habits, but we'll get there. I just want you to try. That's good enough for me," I said.

"How?" She asked.

"Try to think twice before you snap. Ask yourself, is it really something I would say or is it something my trauma is making me say to keep everyone away from me and go from there. It's not gonna change immediately, it'll probably happen a few more times but I can take it. As long as you're trying," I said.

"So you still wanna be my person?" She asked.

"Sure do. I'm not that easy to get rid of," I said.

She chuckled, "How did you know? All of it?"

"I mean I am a profiler. You told me without telling me. And I learned before, with Emily, that if someone pushes you away sometimes you need to push harder. So they know you're not gonna break when they lean on you and will be able to hold them together," I said.

"After what I did to you, I don't know how you can be here. I don't know what I did to deserve you being here," she said.

"You didn't do anything to me, you were right all this time. I wasn't okay and you saw that, just like I see it in you now," I said, "And that's the thing Jayje. You didn't do anything to deserve it, because that kind of things are not something you earn. We're a team and we'll get to the point where you understand that."

"Thank you," she said, "For being here."

"Thank you for letting me in."

We didn't realize we've been talking almost the whole night, so we had to wake up about half an hour after we fell asleep. I have no regrets though, I think we're getting somewhere. We got ready and got to the station.

We found a new lead right after we got there. I was sent to a house on a farm with Emily to check it out. We went and through a window we saw a woman with a gun in her hands. We shared a look and walked inside.

"Stay away or I'll shoot," she yelled.

"Okay, just put the gun down, it's okay," Emily said.

"No. You're not gonna take my babies," she said.

"Those aren't your babies Eleanor. That already have parents," I said.

"Shut up!" She yelled.

"Okay, okay. Where are they? Are they taking a nap?" I asked.

"Yeah, in the next room," she said.

"Okay. Now put your gun down, or my friend here will shoot you and the babies will be all alone. You don't want that, do you?" I asked.

"No," she whispered lowering her weapon, "I don't."

"Good," I said.

She put her gun down and I went to get the babies. Both the boy and the girl alive and well. That's the best outcome we can get, the UnSub arrested and all the victims survived. Too bad it rarely happens.

I took the babies and we drove back to the station. Emily drove us. I called the parents on our way to let them know we found the babies and they were on their way now too.

We got there and I gave the babies to Emily telling her to wait a minute. She took them and waited while I went to find Jennifer.

"Hey JJ. Come with me, you're gonna wanna see that," I said.

We went back to Emily and watched her give the babies back to their parents. The happiness and joy is something we can never get enough of after reuniting families.
Everyone was watching them with big smiles just taking the view in to remember there's still good out here. After that we were off to Quantico.

On the jet I drank a lot of coffee trying to make up for the lost sleep. Emily and Derek were listening to music, Spencer reading a book, Dave was drinking with Aaron and JJ was asleep.

I was looking through the window, Garcia opposite from me. I was just thinking about the babies and smiling. I was really happy we saved them in time and JJ starting to trust me is a good thing either. It was overall a good day.

"The light is back," Garcia said.

"The light never left, the windows were just closed," I said.

Just to humor her.

I heard some stirring sounds so I looked over my shoulder and noticed JJ breathing a little rapidly. I figured she was having a dream, possibly a nightmare so I went over there and shook her gently.

"Hey, JJ," I whispered. Nothing, "Jayje," I said a little louder.

She opened her eyes and sat up quickly, looking around and then her eyes landed on me.

"It's okay, you had a nightmare," I said.

"Oh. I did," she said, panting.

"Wanna talk about it?" I asked and she shook her head.

"Okay," I said sitting beside her and helping her to lay back down with her head in my lap, "Go back to sleep," I said running my fingers through her hair.

Again we got looks from everyone on the jet. Well, everyone besides Hotch and Emily. And that's saying something because Emily is nosy as hell. I just shrugged and put headphones in to listen to some music too.

Few days later Emily, Derek and Spencer were over at mine. I didn't invite them. Emily invited herself and then them. They brought me a redbull so I'm not complaining.

We played some games on my ps5 and watched a movie. Other than that they were going through my cabinets to see if I had anything interesting in there. Don't ask, I don't get it either. I just let them do whatever and we talked.

"I still think it's crazy that you guys broke into Hotch's apartment just to steal Emily's psych eval after the last case," Derek said.

"And the fact that it was all good makes it even crazier," Emily said, "I should've known it'd be good. I helped write the questions for it. We all did."

"It's even more crazy that Maya agreed to do it without hesitation," Derek said.

"Is it? Is it really that hard to believe?" Spencer asked.

I laughed, "Boy wonder knows what's up."

"It's not just crazy that you broke in there. It's the fact that he didn't notice. And it's also very illegal," Spencer said.

"In my defense, I was left unsupervised," I said.

"Didn't Emily go with you?" Derek asked.

"I did. But in my defense, I was also left unsupervised," Emily said.

We all laughed, "Yeah, our old friend joined us after though, when we almost got caught," Emily added.

"Really? What friend?" Spencer asked.

"The dawning realization that we fucked up bad. But we got it, so it's all good," I said.

"Speaking of a friend," Derek said, "What the hell is going on between you and JJ. One minute you're screaming at each other and the second you let her sleep on you?"

"What it is, is not your business," I said.

"Come on, Prentiss. I was quiet for a long time but it's killing me, man. Just give me something," he said, "Is it like a fling or something?"

I chuckled, "No. No, it's not. We're just, I don't know. Overcoming our differences I guess. I just figured it's pointless to fight all the time so we talked and that's it."

"I know I'm supposed to be oblivious to these things, but even I can see that it's definitely more than that," Spencer said.

"A hundred bucks they're gonna get together by the end of the month," Emily said placing a hundred on the table.

"I'm gonna say three months," Derek said.

"Okay then. Five months," Spencer said and both of them placed a hundred on the table.

"A hundred that it'll never happen," I placed a hundred, "Easy money."

"Yeah, for me," Emily said.

"You guys are delusional," I shook my head, "I'm just helping her with some stuff okay? That's it."

"I can imagine with what," Derek smirked.

"Okay, ew. Not JJ ew, you ew. Why are you saying that?" I asked.

"So JJ what then? Huh?" He teased.

"I'm out of here," I said getting up to get something to drink.

"I'm just joking, little Prentiss," he said, "You know I like to tease you. I get what you're doing and that's really nice of you."

"Oh wow. Okay. Here," I said putting a beer to his chest, "For coming to your senses."

"Honestly though? We're just happy that you guys figured it out. It'll be nice to be a family again," Spencer said.

I ruffled his hair, "Thanks, pretty boy. You've always been a real one."

I can't even talk to a woman without them thinking I'm gonna be with her. I don't even know why, I don't do relationships. It's messy and distracting. And with JJ? We barely started to like each other. That's just crazy. The craziest thing I've ever heard in my life even. And I did a lot of crazy things so that's saying a lot, lot.

At least they're happy with us being good again. I knew that our conflict was messing with the team dynamics even if we tried hard not to. We were always able to work with each other, but the tension was always there and it was hard to miss. Something good will come out of it after all. And I hate to admit that but she's really starting to grow on me. As a person, a friend at most. As I was getting ready for the next game I got a text.

Jennifer
Your favorite show is on in 30

Maya
Oh god, thanks. I totally forgot

Jennifer
Wanna watch it together maybe?

Maya
Emily and the boys are over

Jennifer
Oh, okay. Maybe next week

Maya
I'll be there in 15

Jennifer
Hot chocolate?

Maya
Depends

Jennifer
I do have the baby marshmallows

Maya
Hot chocolate

Jennifer
See you in 15

Maya
You know they're placing bets on us getting together?

Jennifer
That's, wow

Maya
I know right? Anyway, I'm leaving the house

Jennifer
Great, I'm waiting

"Hey uh, I gotta go take care of something. You can stay but just don't break anything Emily," I said.

"Hey!" She said, "Why was that last remark directed towards me?"

"Okay sorry. None of you can break anything. I'm out, see you later," I said.

"Is that something you need you take care of, blonde by any chance?" Derek asked.

I chuckled, "Bet you wish it was."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54K 1.3K 31
Katalina Matthews is finally reunited with Spencer Reid, after being kicked out of her own home by her family, a pregnant teenager. Now that they are...
56.1K 961 17
Spencer and Maeve are happily in a relationship together until the new agent steps into the BAU. Y/N is the new transfer and new member to the team...
120K 800 20
Just Criminal minds One-Shots/Imagines that I came up with while sleep-deprived (which is about 95% of my life right now) :) I take requests and my...
5.1K 71 20
"𝑰'𝒎 𝒔𝒐𝒓𝒓𝒚, 𝑰 𝒄𝒂𝒏'𝒕 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒌 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒔𝒆" Y/N thought she was over her past but when she had to face it again she realized it st...