Watching and Listening - An E...

By JohannaJaneUn

One day, False wakes up in an unfamiliar world with no memory of her life. Some time later, after False has f... More

Prologue
Who is she?
Cogs turning
The cat, the scarecrow, and the sign
A friend in me
Don't judge a book by its cover
Routine
Voices in her head
Phantoms
Traces of guilt
A rocky start to friendship
Haunting thoughts
What is she hiding?
Flickers of memory
Building bridges
Nightmares
Festival of the rift
Another world
Meeting with friends
False symmetry
Trying to get answers
Watching
Secretive motives
Expose her
Observation of enigmas
Leaking secrets
Wings
New thoughts
Calm before the storm
After a storm comes a calm
Reunited
Friends?
Unpleasant dreams
Questions
Who's the villain?
Rediscovered
Old friends
Spreading news
And then there were two
Two places at once
Eavesdropping
Come undone
Tagged
Remember
Learning the truth
Replace
Disguises
Slowly figuring it out
Watchers
Angsty explanations
Mind games
Not right
The void tea party
Surprise
Candy
Memory issues
The truth
Spying
Poppies
False memory
Mandela effect
Close friends
Mental
Double life
Trust and distrust
Attack
Aftermath of the attack
Retribution
The animals know all
Lives
1, 2, 3, 4...
In her head
New rooms
Friends in Tumble Town
Set up
Home is where the friends are
Watcher meeting
Allies in Tumble Town
Reclaiming old friends
Almost normal
Power
Training
Weapons
Mumbo's adventures in another world
Her other personality
Dreams
Distracting friends
One last day
One last night
The dreaded day
Mother sun
Watcher versus Watcher
A win and a loss
Heart
Mind
Soul
Epilogue
Sad alternate ending

Jimena and Herodias

10 0 0
By JohannaJaneUn

           Jimena blinked in confusion. Where was she? She sat up and surveyed her surroundings. When she saw the purple wallpaper she immediately realized where she was. She was inside her head again. And just like before, Herodias was there too, looking utterly incensed. 

           You traitor! She raged, punching Jimena in the face. The girl recoiled but stood up, getting ready for a fight. How many times do I have to tell you what to do and you never do as you're told! Herodias shouted at her. 

           I never wanted to work for the Watchers! Jimena shouted back at her. Herodias rolled her eyes. Well, that makes sense. Jimena's interest was curiously peaked. And she was also wondering why Herodias wasn't resorting to... more violent methods. 

           Why does it make sense? She asked cautiously. Herodias looked at her in disbelief for a second before it clicked. Right, you don't remember that either. She said. We didn't join the Watchers of our own free will. 2 went and made us a Watcher some time after he became one.

           Did he even ask us for permission? Jimena asked. Herodias shook her head. Nope. But it doesn't matter. We have to listen to him. Jimena tilted her head at her other personality questioningly. Why do we have to listen to him? She asked. 

            Immediately afterward she was aware that she had made a big mistake. Herodias flared out her wings in a dramatic display and started stomping her way toward the girl, hands balled up into fists. This is why I hate you! She roared. You are such a disobedient traitor! Jimena flinched backward but tried to hold her ground. 

           Why are you so fixated on that?! She asked. Why does it matter so much to you?! Herodias growled at her. Because you're me and I hate myself for the stuff I did! That was not the answer Jimena was expecting. She paused in confusion and just stared at her other personality for a few seconds. 

           Herodias... Jimena asked cautiously, taking a leap of faith and stepping closer, What did I do that makes you hate us so much? Herodias sniffed a little and hesitated before answering. You went and joined the Listeners. She said. You became a traitor to the Watchers. We became traitors to our own father. Planning to fight against him. What kind of daughter does that?! 

            Wait, back up a second. Jimena said, shooting her a double take. Father? Who are you talking about? Herodias looked at her incredulously. Qiron. He's our father. Have you never figured it out until now? I thought it was obvious. 

            Jimena just stared at her blankly. Why did he never tell me? She asked. Herodias hesitated, thinking. He was probably just worried about you. She said at last. I mean, look at the state your psyche's in. Telling you something that so intrinsically connected to a lot of your missing memories will probably make you go crazy. 

           Jimena stopped to comprehend what her other personality had just said. But do you understand now? Herodias asked furiously. Do you understand now why I hate you so much? Why I hate myself? Jimena tried to think. Did she understand? But something was off. She just couldn't understand. 

           I don't know! She blurted. I don't remember Qiron ever being a father to me and I barely even know why I want to listen to him or any of that stuff that's so important to you. I don't understand! Suddenly, the room began to twitch around her. Jimena stepped back, a little surprised. She hadn't realized she could control the room too. But it made sense in retrospect; this was her mind too after all. 

           Herodias just looked at her sadly. You don't understand? Well, fine, I'll make you understand! She almost shouted at the end. In a sudden frenzied movement she rushed forward and grabbed Jimena's skull. Before she could react suddenly Herodias started to return memories to her. Memories long forgotten... 

           In a shocked panic Jimena flailed about. Hold still! I'm trying to help! Herodias shouted as she tightened her grip. That did nothing to help as Jimena panicked even more and then the room moved. It started growing very familiar spikes and the floor tossed Herodias off of her feet and into the spiky walls. But Jimena didn't notice. She was too busy remembering. 

            Young Jimena sat there at the dinner table, giggling as she recounted her day to her father and mother. They laughed and smiled at all the right times and agreed with her that it had been a great day. She kept on talking on and on about it even when it was nearing bedtime. 

            "Well, little girl, time to go to bed." Her father said, picking up the giggling three-year-old and carrying her upstairs to her room. Soon she was tucked into bed all snug as a bug in a rug. "Daddy, tell me a story." Jimena begged eagerly. Her father smiled. "Of course." He said. "Once upon a time..." It was happy times back then. 

           Jimena, now eight years old, hid behind the couch with her hands over her ears as she listened to her parents fight. "What is wrong with you?!" Her father bellowed, fists clenched so tight that his knuckles had gone pale. "She wouldn't listen to me!" Her mother yelled back. "I was only disciplining her!"

           "By hitting her that hard?!" 

           "You are such softies and pushovers in this country! In my own kingdom we raise children to be strong and powerful."

           "Don't you ever care?!"

           "If I didn't care then I wouldn't even bother with her!"

           "You are insufferable!" 

           "I regret ever marrying you!"

           Jimena closed her eyes until she realized that the voices had finally stopped shouting at each other. She blinked carefully and found her father squatting down in front of her looking concerned. "Are you alright?" He asked softly. Jimena thought for a second and then shook her head. 

            "How bad is it?" He asked. "Where mommy hit you?" Jimena slowly extended her arm to reveal a large black and blue bruise with the distinct outline of a slipper. Her father winced ever so slightly and avoided touching it. "Mommy is mean." Jimena pouted as her father gently picked her up and carried her back to her room. "I know." He said. 

           Not too long afterward her parents had a fight over a similar matter. And then it happened again the week afterward. And the week after that too. Shaking and nursing a new bruise, Jimena started crying and ran straight to her father to hug him as soon as her mother had left the room. 

            "Why do you have to shout so loud?" She asked quietly. Her father gently took an icepack and helped her apply it. "Your mother and I aren't on the best of terms right now." Her father said as calmly as possible. "Mommy says I'm a lazybones and a spoiled brat." Jimena huffed, wincing as the icepack numbed her bruised skin. "Don't listen to your mother." Her father said. "Just listen to me. You'll be okay." 

           A long time later, Jimena was at a new school. Her father dropped her off, adjusting her hair tie and making sure she was dressed up all prim and proper. "Do I have to go to boarding school?" Jimena asked sadly. Her dad hummed in acknowledgement as he straightened out her skirt. "It'll be easier for you. Things at home are getting tricky." He said. 

           "But I won't be able to see you as much anymore." Jimena complained. Huffily she stood rooted to the spot, as if willing herself to not move an inch away from her father. "I know. I'll miss you too." He said soberly. "But I'll visit as much as I can." "Every day?" Jimena asked hopefully. Her father hesitated before replying. "If I can." He said at last. 

           Jimena hung her head in disappointment. "I don't want to leave you." She said bitterly. "I don't want to leave you either. And I never will. I promise." Her father told her with a smile. "Now, do you remember the rules?" "Always be polite and have manners. Don't stay up past curfew. Listen to your elders." Jimena recited.

           "When spoken to by a grown-up, address them with their name and title." "Okay, pretend I'm Teacher Evan. I'm asking you what your name is." Her dad said. "My name is Jimena, Teacher Evan." Jimena said. "Good girl." Her father replied, patting her head. 

           End of the school year. Jimena couldn't wait to finally get home to her father. She skipped along past her classmates and teachers in the foyer until she spotted her dad. Her mood dimmed considerably when she noticed her mother was right next to him. Still though, she walked obediently over. 

           "Do you want to see my report card, father?" She asked, holding out a sheet of paper. Before he could react her mother, who seemed to be in a sour mood, snatched it out of her hands and stared at her grades. She glared at Jimena. "You failed?!" She shouted, not even bothering to be discreet. 

           Jimena suddenly felt very small as everyone stopped talking to stare at the growing scene. "It was just one subject..." She said nervously. "No daughter of mine would ever fail a single thing!" Her mother shrieked, and then Jimena found herself lying on the floor with her face hurting like someone hit her. 

          Then there was an even louder slapping noise and Jimena looked up to see that her father had just punched her mother. Then they started yelling at each other in front of the whole school. Jimena couldn't take it anymore. She got up and ran and hid in the bathroom until the whole thing blew over. 

           They had filed for divorce not very long after that. And then it was Jimena and her father. What a blessed relief. Things could only get better from here. Or at least, that was what they thought. One day, Jimena's dad just straight up vanished. For a while Jimena was just alone in her house with no one around. And then he came back, but he came back different. 

           "Where were you?" Jimena asked, sniffing as she hugged him. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you," He said with a glint in his eye, "But I'll tell you anyway. The void." And then he revealed his newfound powers. He was something called a Watcher now. And he wanted to make Jimena one too. 

            It had been years now. Jimena, now called Herodias, waited impatiently for her father to be finished with whatever it was he was doing. Why was he never around anymore? Why was he always too busy to spend time with her? Why was he so focused on Watcher stuff and figuring out what else he could do with his new powers? Herodias didn't like it. She felt lonely without Qiron. At least Xelqua and Gemini were nice. But it still wasn't the same. 

           And then there was the fight about the life series. Gemini and Xelqua shouted that 2 was being inhumane. Qiron yelled back that they weren't human anymore, they were gods and gods could do whatever they wanted. Herodias wasn't participating in the fight; all she could think about was that awful yelling. She scampered to her bedroom and his under the blanket. 

           And then Gemini and Xelqua left. Herodias was left alone with Qiron, but she felt even more alone now. Qiron was too busy training new recruits for the Watcher cause to spend time with her. And Herodias found herself not agreeing with every single choice he made. She was supposed to listen to what he told her to do, but what if she didn't like what he told her to do?

           After thinking about it for a while she decided to leave. Maybe join the Listeners. She understood why they were fighting against the Watchers. Except Qiron caught her on her way out. "You're leaving?!" He shouted. Herodias recoiled. He'd never yelled at her before. "After everything I've done for you!" 2's voice cracked. Consumed in guilt, Herodias still ran. 

           Jimena held her head in shock as she suddenly snapped back to the present, reeling from the return of all of her missing memories. I remember everything now. She breathed. Herodias... I understand now. Herodias? She gasped when she saw her other personality curled up against the wall, hand over a large wound in her stomach. 

           Jimena ran over, concerned. It wasn't bleeding, but she didn't need to see blood to know that it was bad. Oh no... I did this with the spikes, didn't I? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. She apologized, but Herodias brushed it away. It's fine. She said. It's not fine. You're literally fading. Jimena pointed out. And indeed Herodias' form was slowly fading away.

           Why aren't you healing yourself? Jimena asked. This is mental stuff, Jimena. Herodias said, rolling her eyes. I can't heal this. Jimena froze. So... you're going to die? She asked. Herodias nodded. Not really dying; I came from the part of you that was lost when you got that amnesia. I think I'll return to your subconsciousness. After all, I'm you and you're me. We'll be whole again this way. I don't think you really wanted me in your head anyway. 

           Jimena didn't really know what to say. You'll be heading back to the real world soon. Herodias said. You've been unconscious for a great deal of time. She paused. Can you do a favor for me? She asked quietly. What is it? Jimena asked. Tell our father that I love him. Herodias whispered as she faded away into nothingness. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.9K 249 39
~Previously named 'Corrupted'~ "I love you, Xelqua. Always and forever" That's what she said Years before it happened Before all of this No one deser...
125K 5.2K 34
As the Dream SMP members decide to meet up for the first time, it starts off as a very happy and fun holiday. Everyone seems to have fun with each ot...
578K 14K 18
𝐘𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐄!𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐒𝐌𝐏 𝐗 𝐅!𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐑 The cities had been fighting for what seemed like ages; the towns were plagued by an everlasting d...
41.6K 2K 34
After the Waves devastated the Earth, modern society collapsed. Governments didn't know what to do, and much of the world's treaties and society's pr...