From The Day I Met You

By MDGary

Three years after moving to Sunbury from Greendale, Summer Monet is finally getting the chance to live amongs... More

✨Core Six✨
1~ I Am Who I Am
2~ Your Mask Is Slipping
3~ Something On Your Face
4~ He's A Hayes
5~ Maisie Moore
6~ She's All Fluff
7~ One And The Same
9~ Senior Pictures
10~ I Know Your Secret
11~ First Kiss
12~ Black Lungs
13~ StakeOut
14~ Holy Shit
15~ Save Me A Dance

8~ Why Her?

12 2 21
By MDGary

8~ Why Her?

It was nice strolling along to the cafeteria linked to one another. Turns out, Maisie is good company to keep. She was sweet, funny, and not one to conform to other's opinions just because they say so. I'd say she was rather refreshing to have around. Her exuberant outlook on life was something to gawk at. Maybe hanging around her would instill some of her confidence in me.

What surprised me the most is that she didn't have any true friends nor did she care to have any. It sounded sad in retrospect but I can see where she was coming from. People look to her as a pariah. In those circumstances, it's hard to tell who's truly there to be your friend or just there to reap the benefits. It explains why, up until the assembly, I had never seen her around as much. Though I couldn't imagine going to a school like this and having no friends. I'd assume it's different when you're popular.

We rounded the corner, laughing with one another. She gave me the most tender smile before looking down at the tiled floor. "See, this wasn't so bad," she said with glee. "We should do this every day."

I giggled but couldn't commit. "Ehm, I don't think that'll work out," I say instantly thinking of Saida. "I have this friend in the art program and I have to make sure she eats or she'll stay in the studio with no regard for the time."

A chuckle escaped her lips as she looked at me strangely. "What are you her babysitter?" She laughs some more.

My eyes roll. "Nooo, we're just...best friends," I pause before smiling. "My first true friend."

Maisie changed her tune. "Awe. Will I get to meet this best friend of yours? Is she pretty?"

All her questions were driving mad but I couldn't be upset at her. Answering her question was hard because it would be great if they met, but judging from last weekend, Saida wouldn't rejoice to know we're kind of friends now. She specifically told me Maisie wasn't the friend I should be looking for. While her warning was nice, I didn't see anything wrong with Maisie. She's been nice to me and from the looks of it, I'm the only person she's connected with out of free will. Saida's fear of our friendship dwindling because of one person is ridiculous. Only because it'll never happen.

Unfortunately, before I could answer her question, my friends stood gathering around the double doors. Including Issac whom my eyes glared in envy as I watched Saida engulfed in his arms. It's something I'm used to by now but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm watching a girl who should be mine in the arms of a guy who took her for granted. My heart contracted in my chest from the painful reminder that Saida may not ever be mine and it sucked. Lucky bastard.

As we got closer to them, the first one to spot me was Kailey and though she was excited to see me, her eyes looked straight at Maisie. She's heard the story of how we got to talking. I'm assuming she didn't believe it because nothing good could ever happen to anyone if it didn't happen to her first. Yeah, Kailey was quite self-absorbed but a good friend when you truly needed her to be.

Her reaction got everyone to turn around and look at us, including Saida who went paler than she already was from the sight. Immediately, her arms dropped from around Issac who also looked shocked to see me with someone like Maisie. She tried not to show any emotion on her face but I knew her better than that. If looks could kill, Maisie would be decapitated. Of course, Saida wouldn't be rude. She was nice but silent nice.

Kailey was the first to greet us, welcoming Maisie with open arms. "Summer!! My very best friend, you're truly hanging out with the Maisie Moore," she gushed.

I scoffed at her absurdity. "Since when do you call me your best friend?" She's not once uttered those words to me. Her glare was funny nonetheless.

Even Issac, who never said much to me, spoke up. "I've gotta admit Summer, I'm impressed," he gave me props. "You see this babe?"

His attention was directed to Saida who now stood with her arms crossed with her lips tightly closed. "Yeah...I see it," she tried to hide any emotion in her tone as she spoke.

Everyone, except Saida, got to asking Maisie a bunch of questions not realizing she wasn't just trying to be my friend. They wouldn't know since I didn't tell them and now was not the time to start discussing sexuality matters. While I'm happy they were excited for me, it hurt that Saida wasn't. I mean, if this were the other way around, I'd be jumping for joy. It's always nice when someone makes a new friend. Potentially adding to the little group we created. However, Saida...she wasn't handling any of it well.

We looked at one another trying to decipher what the other might be thinking. There wasn't much we needed to say with words as our relationship was a lot deeper than that. She was my longest friend, the girl I pride myself on knowing all the ins and outs of. She'll say we're fine but it didn't mean it was true. Especially not after seeing me with Maisie with her own eyes. The distraught I can feel radiating off her body affected me in indescribable ways. Of all days, why couldn't she be in the studio?

Maisie laughed after being bombarded with questions. "This was great, but I should go," she waves to them before resting her hand on my forearm. "Summer, I'll see you in class again." She smiled, walking away with her hair trailing behind her.

The tension rises between Saida and me as she doesn't say anything. She focuses her attention back on Issac without even acknowledging that I exist. Her attitude felt very pointed leaving this queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. My head spinning in frustration, I trail behind her with Kailey next to me. Everyone opted to go grab a quick lunch in Saida's car since hers was the biggest. However, I didn't feel too comfortable with it given the circumstances.

Kailey was so wrapped up in her agenda of being Maisie's friend that she didn't even realize the energy shift. Confiding in her wasn't the first plan I had in mind, but she was the only one nearby. Even if she didn't have the best advice, Kailey was still my friend. I should be able to talk to her about anything without her judging me for it.

"Do you think if we have a party Maisie would come?" She began concocting a plan to get in her good graces. "Who am I kidding, I'm Kailey Reed, of course, she'd come," she laughs in the most conceited way. Noticing I didn't laugh, Kailey looked at me with real concern. "Sum Sum...what's happening? Why aren't you excited about Maisie like I am?"

My eyes roll in annoyance. "Do you ever think about anything other than how something benefits you?" I snapped but not because I was upset with her talking about Maisie. This was typical behavior from Kailey.

She stopped making an O shape with her mouth. "Okay...bitch," she said but not in a mean way. She was simply pointing out how I was acting and it was true.

I didn't mean to be bitchy, but my head was filled with less-than-stellar thoughts. Saida was ignoring me for something that I couldn't quite understand. She admitted to being afraid of losing our friendship. However, she had to know that would never happen. We confirmed this with each other already and she still had this idea that Maisie was taking her place. It prodded at my brain trying to come up with any solution to her strange conduct.

That didn't mean I had to be a jerk to Kailey. She was just as confused as I was. Only, unlike Saida, she was excited to make Maisie an acquaintance. Most of them were that's why Saida acting out felt off to me. She's the most welcoming out of any of us and she acts like a cunt. I couldn't help but think that if this were anybody else she wouldn't be acting this way. Her problem seems to just be Maisie.

Sighing, I crossed my arms as we got closer to Saida's car. "I'm sorry...I'm just trying to understand why Saida's so mad about Maisie." I explained. "Why her? What's the problem?"

Kailey smiled, resting her hand on my shoulder. "Well, I'm not too happy about her staking her claim in you either, to be honest," she admits. "But you and I haven't been friends as long as you and Saida have. It's a bit...different."

"I'm not trying to replace our friendship though. Maisie is just a new friend," at least that's what I saw it as.

Kailey giggled as if she knew something I didn't. "Take baby steps with Saida," she suggested. "You never know what may come out of it."

We got to the car and everyone piled in. They were playing music, their horrible vocal cords filling the car. It was funny for the most part, but my mind kept wondering about what Kailey said. Taking baby steps with Saida feels like what I've been doing the whole time I've known her. One person shouldn't be driving a wedge between us the way she's letting it. No one in this world would ever make me stop loving Saida. Is it not possible for her to think the same?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.8K 802 36
Taylor is the heiress to the Italian Mafia. Her father would only allow her to take over if she settles down. Willow is a normal girl kinda. Her fat...
257K 8.5K 16
Two girls, two different walks of life, one love story. Dakota Springson was a princess. Not an actual princess, but you know the type. Rich parents...
49K 1.5K 52
Apollo Quinn wants nothing to do with Nicolas Young. While 5 years ago, the two had been best friends, nowadays they live across the country from one...
21.8K 945 42
Eve Davis and Ezra Fanning have been the best of friends for five years. And they haven't had it easy. They've been through it all together- and now...