Relentless Love (sequel)

By thatonerr

Two women, who loved each other as girls meet again after Reagan Levine suddenly left on a gloomy night. Hatr... More

Author's Note (PLEASE READ!)
Aesthetics + Playlist
Chapter 1- Spilt coffee.
Chapter 2- Until it's not.
Chapter 3- All over again.
Chapter 4- Sweet cigarettes.
Chapter 5- Here we are.
Chapter 7- Is this our fate?
Chapter 8- Alfredo spaghetti.
Chapter 9- Fine line.
Chapter 10- Halloween.
Chapter 11- Sorrow soaked sleeves.
Chapter 12- Relentlessly intertwined.
Chapter 13- Quiet anger.
Chapter 14- Focus on me.

Chapter 6- Do you love him?

4.4K 225 274
By thatonerr

Later..

Red carefully shuts the front door to her apartment before she turns to find Lilith leaning against the kitchen counter, wearing her usual silken pajamas of shorts and a small top. Red's heart skips a beat in surprise.

Red let a heavy breath escape her lips, her dark eyes fixated on Lilith's stern expression.

"And?" Lilith curiously questions as she straightens her back, her hand meeting one charm on her braids, anxiously fidgeting.

Red tilts her head in confusion as she locks the front door and throws her keys into the pot beside the door before she begins to walk toward Lilith and almost past her before Lilith's hand snakes around Red's upper arm.

Red stops, and with a low chuckle, turns to Lilith. "Well, are you gonna tell me how it went?" Lilith insists with a shake of her head and a fake smile of excitement plastered across her lips.

Red's eyebrows narrow. "I didn't think you'd want to hear seen as you told me to forget about Layla." Red firmly speaks as she turns to face Lilith, her head slightly tilted down to meet her eye to eye.

Lilith's eyes flick across Red's features fearfully before her lips part. "I let you out early today just so I can hear about it all." Lilith beams up at Red as her hand begins to graze up her arm, caressing Red.

A soft smile appears on Red's cherry-red lips, "You do?" Her voice rises in excitement and Lilith's smile brightens as her hand freezes before she reassuringly nods.

Red gulps before starting, "I explained everything, I could've gone into more detail but I've saved that for when she's feeling better.. I feared overwhelming her and I did because she cried-" Red pauses, her eyes flickering at the idea of it before she sucks a sharp breath of air in again, "It hurt so bad, Lilith. It hurt seeing her like that.." Red speaks as though the memory sends her into an indescribable agony. Lilith manages to nod with a furrowed brow, feigning sympathy while her heart is filled with pain.

"And you know what hurt even more? When she told me that dickhead was her boyfriend." Red sadly pulls away from Lilith as her lips purse and her eyes wander, unaware of the relief across Lilith's face.

"I mean, I can't even judge him but fuckin' hell. I've seen him flirt with the receptionist at the gym! He's clearly not loyal to her, and that's so upsetting that she's put her guard down for a fucking-" Red's tangent is disrupted by Lilith quickly bringing her hand to Red's face and turning her so their eyes meet, "Red, calm down. You don't know this man, you don't know their relationship, you can't assume these things." Lilith speaks sternly, causing Red's anger to slowly deflate as they lock eyes.

The anxiety around the situation begins to arise for Red. Red feels herself about to burst before she hastily pulls Lilith close and collides their bodies together for a tight hug. Lilith doesn't hesitate to wrap her arms around Red's body.

Lilith takes a deep breath, trying to control her own sadness, "It's okay." Red needs her, so she pushes down her feelings of fear, she pushes down the idea that Red will never want her, and Red will never see her as Lilith sees her. She does that because of that very love she feels, because she understands the love Red holds for Layla, down to the sheer fact that she feels the same for Red. She burns for Red whilst Red does for Layla, Red won't ever turn up in flames for Lilith.. but despite the idea killing Lilith she still finds herself withholding all of this merely for Red. Only for Red.

A week later, on the 13th of October..

"Do you think we should speak to her?" Elio whispers over Ashton's shoulder, who's intently staring ahead at Layla impatiently standing outside with a cigarette in her lips and a long coat wrapped around her tightly.

Ashton looks over his shoulder to the blonde Elio, "She'll probably come in-" Before Ashton gets to finish his sentence he's aggressively getting tapped by Elio whose eyes widen before Ashton hears the ring of the entrance bell.

"Act casual." Ashton nudges Elio before grabbing a tea towel and beginning to clean up the coffee station, pretending to be busy, Elio chuckles at the scene.

"Hi." Layla breathlessly greets, her pearly white teeth glimmering when she smiles causing Elio's cheeks to redden and his lips to remain tightly shut.

Ashton notices the silence and picks his head up, turning to find Elio as anxious as a newborn puppy, with a sigh, "Hi!" Ashton beams.

Layla nears closer to the counter beside the coffee machine, delicately leaning over it, "Where is she?" Layla asks, so straightforwardly Ashton feels his eyebrows bounce at her attitude, he likes it.

Elio is now standing behind Ashton, his head popping up from over his shoulder before Ashton lets out an exaggerated sigh, "You know what, I'm sorry to tell you, but she isn't in today." He shakes his head in such a manner that it nearly makes Layla laugh.

The reality of what Ashton just told her hits before she straightens herself in case of any clear disappointment in her features, she slowly nods in response, her lips pursed in quiet sadness.

"But.. She will most likely be at her apartment-" Ashton beams, an almost mischievous smile plastered across his lips as he turns to Elio, "Right, Elio?" Ashton adds. Layla's eyes flicked from both of these men who seemed to be awfully unserious.

Elio begins to rapidly nod, "We can give you the address if you'd like." Elio informatively mumbles, loudly enough for it to be heard by Layla as this time of noon is quiet in the Cafe.

Layla's eyebrows quickly knit at the absurd suggestion, the pair spotting this, "She wouldn't mind!" Ashton remarks. "She really wouldn't." Elio insists.

After some convincing, they gave Layla Red's apartment address, and Layla walked out of the shop still bewildered at how this pair gave her enough of a reason to confidently make her way out with the address on her phone, clutched nervously in her hand.

Ashton and Elio's excitement is disrupted by Lilith's appearance, "What did I miss?" Lilith curiously eyes them, it gets to Elio's head, and just as his red face calms down fire strikes up once again.

"We sent Layla to your apartment." Ashton blurts out, his eyes excitedly bright. Lilith's curious expression instantly shatters to one of intense insecurity, "What?" Lilith chuckles in disbelief.

Ashton clicks his tongue, "You heard right!" He belts before grabbing Elio by his weak shoulders from behind and shaking him.

Lilith grimaces, "That's ridiculous." She dully responds, untying the apron around her waist and tying it again anxiously.

"Oh, stop being sour just cause you're jealous." Ashton scoffs, letting go of Elio and cockily crossing his arms, his eyes scanning across her body. "He's got a point." Elio adds.

Lilith feels annoyance overcome her, "I'm just watching out for Red.." Lilith corrects, her eyes rolling at the way these two are behaving, "I was the one that had to pick her up from the start, not you guys. You don't understand the hold this girl has over Red. I don't want Red to read too deeply into this seeing as this girl also has a boyfriend." She continues, her expression firmly held on the pair.

Ashton's jaw slightly clenches, "First off, 'this girl' is called Layla and she was a big part of Red's life. Second off, I'm pretty sure Red is mature enough to know how to handle it all fine on her own." Ashton's voice comes out stern and laced with disbelief at how Lilith disregards the role Layla played in Red's life.

Lilith's hazel eyes flicker in embarrassment, "You're right." She mumbles.

"Damn right." Ashton rightfully responds a small chuckle exits his lips before leaving the station and heading towards a dirty coffee table.

Red's Apartment.

Layla found herself standing outside Red's apartment. She could hear distinct voices coming from inside, but they didn't sound like Red's or what she remembered of her.

As she anxiously waited, Layla began to question why she was even there and how desperate it might seem. However, she reminded herself that Red had told her to visit, although she hadn't specifically invited her to her apartment, which she felt would be invasive. Despite this still not comforting her in the slightest, her feet were hesitant to go.

As Layla is about to leave, the door swings open to reveal a red-haired woman with pin-straight hair and bright green eyes, wearing a silk robe. Layla's heart drops in embarrassment at how she fell for Ashton's lies. Of course, he wouldn't give Red's real address.

As Layla is about to sink into the floor, she hears Red's shout from somewhere in the apartment, "Jesus, I told you I was getting it!" Red frustratingly strides towards the door, wearing a pair of black shorts and a black vest top. Layla can't help but scan her eyes across all the tattoos, despite how unusual it is for Layla to see Red so different than what she knew her as, she's still relieved that this is Red's apartment, and this is Red.

Brown meets green and they struggle to hold, but each of them can't help but remain glued. Layla's jaw nervously shakes at the feel of piercing green eyes on her from the ginger.

Red's eyes flicker from a dull brown to an infatuated brown at the sight of Layla. "Hi." Red's voice comes out soft as she can't help but smile at the sight of her, Red has been impatiently waiting for Layla to hold up her end of the deal, and so she did.

The ginger snaps around to Red with a loud scoff which Red doesn't even seem to acknowledge as she's so absorbed by the fact Layla is standing outside of her own apartment.

Layla being so distracted by Red's intense gaze, "Hi, sorry am I interrupting?" Layla stammers, instantly wishing she had gone back home and not been a disruption. As Red's lips part to respond, the ginger beats her to it, "Yes." She cockily turns back to Layla with a snigger.

Red grimaces at the cheek of her, "No." She swiftly shakes her head in annoyance, fearing that this woman will make Layla debate her reasons for ever showing up which she can already smell off of Layla. The ginger dramatically gasps.

"Angela- you were on your way out so, go on." Red demands, clenching her jaw in annoyance at the nerve she has. Layla stands still, her eyes held on Red who sympathetically eyes her, Layla's eyes flicking to her pink pursing lips.

"Whatever, Red." Angela rolls her eyes, snapping around and making a theatric exit on her way to Red's room.

Red turns to Layla, a hitched sigh escaping her lips, "It's nice to see you, come in." Red warmly welcomes as she steps away from the door, her hand stretched out as a guide. Layla softly smiles at Red for still being such a natural gentlewoman before hesitantly stepping inside, her eyes held on the floor so she doesn't have to notice the intense stare Red's eyes follow because Layla wouldn't know how to react to that gaze again.

That natural strong gaze Red always held on her.. Layla's immediately noticed its presence again through this one act, and she doesn't know whether to despise Red for being Red or to suck it up and get used to it. But for what?

Positioned at the door, Red observes Layla's eyes carefully examine the apartment, looking anywhere but at Red and she knows that if she were Layla, she wouldn't look at herself either. She would find it even harder to forgive and forget all that happened. Red understands it isn't so simple, but again, nothing in her and Layla's relationship has ever been so straightforward. So, Red will adapt to whatever she needs to, anything for Layla's sake.

Courage ignites within Red, Red stealthily creeps up behind Layla, surprising her with a chair pulled out from behind, urging her to take a seat at the dining table with a reassuring smile. Layla, startled by Red's proximity, glances back before hesitantly complying.

Red proudly makes her way back to the front door, gulping nervously as she crosses her arms impatiently before Angela shows up again, fully dressed in business wear with a designer bag hanging off her shoulder.

Angela's eyes remain fixated on Layla's innocent presence as she swiftly makes her way to Red, Layla's eyes narrow and follow her. Red inspects Angela, wanting to understand what she's scheming.

Suddenly, Angela's hands intertwine with the back of Red's neck and Red's hands instinctively reach for her waist, attempting to disengage by just smelling Layla in the room. But Layla averts her gaze, understanding that Red is pulling her in which she is unwilling to witness the consequences of her curiosity overpowering her.

"What are you doing?" Red hisses at Angela. Red begins to feel heat burn her arms all the way up to her neck, and it's as though Red expects Angela to know of Layla, and why that should be the last thing happening in front of a relationship that never really ended. Embarrassed at Red's tone of voice, Angela's arms slide off of Red, who glares at her.

Angela snaps her fingers at Layla, who turns to the sound.

"Enjoy. Being good in bed is her only charm, don't expect anything more from this one." Angela sneers.

"Wow," Layla chuckled at the ridiculous assumption that came out of her mouth. Her eyes flicked to Red, who seemed to be holding her breath in disgust, her expression barely able to conceal how she couldn't tolerate her.

"Don't speak to her like that. Don't look at her. In fact, don't associate with her at all." Red commands in a hiss, her nostrils flared in irritation as anger is fuelled.

Angela's tongue clicks. Layla witnesses Angela's confident demeanor shatter in an instant when met with a menacing glare from Red. Angela simply utters, "Goodbye." Red worries that Angela's disrespect towards Layla could have pushed her to the point of wanting to harm her so she slams the door shut when she leaves, with an attempt of leaving her anger along with it.

Red takes a deep and hard breath, her chest rising and falling in an attempt to suppress the anger that boils from that exact interaction as she makes her way to the kettle placed on the kitchen counter, she presses the button down and it powers on, "Tea?" Red mumbles, her back to Layla who has a wide grin plastered across her face, just waiting to laugh.

"Yes, please." Layla politely responds before her elbow meets the table and she's cupping her chin in her hand.

Red nods, her broad back still facing Layla as she begins to take out two teacups. "Who was that little devil?" Layla comments, referring to Angela and she can almost see Red stiffen at the mention of her.

"No one. She randomly showed up last night and-" Red pauses, the awkward realisation hitting her of what it sounds like, her grip on the teaspoon tightening as she awaits a response.

Layla's eyebrows bounce up, the smirk on her face instantly falling away, and then you slept with her? How many people have you slept with Red? Layla wonders as her lips purse and her eyes avert to the whistling kettle.

"Spare me the details." Layla manages to get a chuckle out of herself, as she uncomfortably readjusts herself in the seat, the grin on her face completely wiped off just by the idea of it insecurity consumes her but she's happy Red's back is turned because oh how she wouldn't be able to handle that right now.

Red hastily turns around, "Whatever you're thinking, we didn't." Red protests, her lips fearfully quivering as she watches Layla instantly turn her frown into a smile when she realises her dark eyes have landed on her. Green and brown meet.

Layla doesn't know but ever since Red saw her, sex has been the last thing on her mind. What Red doesn't know either is ever since they saw each other, Layla hasn't even been able to touch Freddy never mind look at him.

The pair have been so incredibly frustrated with the situation as neither party knows what to do next, or what to say next, because the part of them that loved each other, expected things to just go back to how they were, but that isn't reality anymore. These things are planned for, and prepared for, but neither Layla nor Red ever expected this.

Layla doesn't respond, leaving Red to fill the unavoidable silence they seem to constantly be having now, "How come you're here?" Red bluntly asks, and just as the last word comes out of her mouth she realises how she could've worded that better but despite that, Layla still seems relieved the topic has been changed, her eyes meet Red's.

Layla sighs, "Well, you told me to see you. I went to the café and you weren't there, then Ashton and Elio told me to come over, which they somehow convinced me of." Layla chuckles at the ridiculousness of this situation. Just a month ago she was waking up with the same old nightmares, reading Red's stupid promises to calm herself down and now she's sat across from her.

Red clicks her tongue, realising the kettle had been finished boiling long ago, "I'm glad you came. How come you chose today?" Red curiously questions as she pours the water on the prepped teas.

Layla gulps, realising that eventually she's gonna have to get used to Red acting like this is all normal even though inside Layla is terrified, "I've been occupied with Fred but he's gone on a little holiday with his friends for this week so I have time." Layla informs Red, her eyes flicking anxiously from the tea to Red until she's placing the cup in front of her and sitting across from her.

Red attentively nods as she brings the mug to her lips, meets it, sips, and gulps before her lips part to speak, and Layla watches each distinct second of it.

"What does Freddy do for a job?" Red suddenly comes out with, her eyebrows narrowing at Layla, and Layla feels herself swell in intimidation, shoving it down, it's just Red.

"He bartends.. He's a bartender." Layla's voice lowers to a quiet ring in Red's ears, her eyes diverting from Red's stern expression to the mug before hesitatingly picking it up, awaiting Red's snide comment about how her boyfriend isn't good for her or whatever those second chance romance books she read go like.

Red hears the distant ding ding ding, in her head. She had a feeling he'd be something like that, the best way to cheat but earn money at the same time, well for him anyway. Red wants to ask Layla how blind she can be, but she never does. After all, what's her opinion on Layla's life? They're practically strangers.

Layla anxiously awaits a response but she never gets one, her head lifts to find Red already gazing at her, her eyebrows slightly narrowing in.. sympathy?

"What?" Layla snaps, taking Red by surprise who slightly flinches at the suddenness of her loud tone and her scrunched face.

"Nothing." Red hastily responds, fearing that she's already driving Layla out of there. But Layla remains displeased, her eyebrows narrow in annoyance.

"Don't look at me like that!" Layla demands, her arms crossing across her chest, and her eyes remain strongly fixated on the confused Red.

Red cocks her head, "Like what?" She defensively responds, feeling her heart racing in fear.

Layla pushes her chair back, wanting to be as far away from Red as she can in this apartment and that breaks Red, "Like you feel fucking sorry for me." Layla fumes, feeling her blood boiling up to her face at the sight of Red so confused.

Red's expression loosens, beginning to understand what Layla means, "I'm not. I'm just confused." She shakily mumbles, her eyes averting to the mug, watching the tea swirl around as if it can bring her to a calm state.

Layla grimaces, "With what? That I have a boyfriend? That I moved on?" Layla continues, feeling the lump in her throat grow at the lie that slipped.

Red's heart drops, her grip getting tighter on the mug, still unable to lift her eyes and meet them with Layla's deep glare. Her heart starts to pound against her chest and Red feels her rib cage shattering as she bites her lip in an attempt to contain this deep surge of sadness that overcomes her.

Layla doesn't stop, "Don't act like you don't have women coming in and out of here like it's some damn prostitution hive! I met one of them this noon actually." Layla angrily speaks, shooting bullets in Red's direction and Red doesn't even try to dodge them because if she were to even try, she might just finally break.

Layla's expression flickers, watching Red attempting to suppress her sadness makes Layla nearly throw herself at her and protect her, but the anger has chewed itself too far into Layla, the seven years of waiting have done nothing but grow her to despise Red for the pain she caused her.

"At least they're women." Red comments, her eyes quickly flicking to Layla and back to the mug before Layla's scoff echoes, "Have you ever heard of bisexuality?" Layla remarks, what a stupid statement Layla thinks.

"You didn't seem so bisexual to me back then, seen as you never fancied a nob." Red gulps, feeling a nervous smile tug at her lips.

Layla gasps, her mouth open wide in shock, "I was a teenager." She snaps back, daggers being shot in Red's direction.

"So were you when you were with me." Red's head finally lifts, knowing that there is no possible way Layla can argue herself out of this one. Red understands bisexuality, what it is, and how it works, Elio and Lilith being bisexual taught her all she needs to, she isn't thick after all. But she knows Layla, she knows Layla told her how men truly never pleased her, how she was stuck to them because she relied on validation and was too afraid to explore.

Layla's lips purse, not knowing what to muster up for a response she begins to feel her anger deflate and turn into frustration, she peels her eyes away from Red.

Place in me - Luke Hemmings

"Do you love him?" Red weakly asks, not being able to handle this fight anymore, her eyes glimmering in hope as she attentively watches Layla who stiffens.

This simple question will dictate whether the pair of them will spit on whatever they were, set it up in flames, and shout to hell with it! This question makes Layla meet fear again, look him in the eyes, and tell him the truth, which even she herself doesn't know, and then fear will scoff and grunt at her and she'll have to take it just as she did all these seven years of agony.

So she doesn't meet him in the eyes. She turns to Red, "What does that matter to you? It's not like you fuck around or any of that." Layla sarcastically points out again, so Red finally snaps, she snaps to Layla with a grimaced expression.

Red's palm meets her own chest with a bang, "That's what I do! Meaningless fucking sex to forget you." Red yells, her hands trembling at it all, no longer fearing overstepping Layla just because of some boyfriend.

Layla's heart gives out, feeling herself get dizzy so she clenches her fingers together to reduce the sweat pouring out of them.

Red pushes herself out of the chair, standing up straight, staring at Layla who doesn't respond before leaning against the kitchen counter, feeling herself about to explode in tears.

"As you said yourself, you moved on. You're years into a relationship!" Red feels the tears streaming down her cheeks, stinging her slightly before crashing against the ground, and Layla eyes her blankly, confused about how she knows how long they have been together.

Red sniffles, "Do you love him?" She repeats the question but this time with a sob, and Layla's blank expression shifts into a sympathetic one through the way her eyebrows knit together before nodding.

Red's lips part as a breath escapes her mouth, feeling her physical heart rip and shred itself apart in betrayal.

Layla feels guilt overcome her but she doesn't allow it to control her, "You're the one that left Red! What did you expect me to do? Tear myself apart at the possibility that maybe you would've come back for me?" Layla hopelessly bombards Red with questions, just wanting to reach any sort of clarity in this situation which is starting to feel impossible.

Red's expression hardens, "Layla, I didn't leave because I wanted to, It was between life and fucking death! If it was my own life I wouldn't have given a shit but it was yours and your family's lives at stake here!" Red's hands in the air, more tears streaming down her face and she doesn't even seem to be trying to hold it back anymore.

Layla feels her eyes sting, they start to fill with hurt as she thinks about it all before she swallows, a large gulp, dashing past the lump that's weighing her words down so heavily she feels as though she's melting into the floor.

"You could've come back for me after the two years." Layla strictly speaks, pushing the chair back and getting up slowly.

Red's eyes flicker in fear, immediately straightening up, fearing Layla might leave.

"I did!" Red confesses in a shout. And Layla freezes.

Red takes a deep breath shakily, "I found you, three years ago. I found your Instagram account and saw the university you attended. I took a chance and went, I wasn't going to text you because I doubt you would've responded.. I saw how you used to ignore all those people who requested to text you when we were still in school. Somehow, I plucked up the courage, Lilith took me there, and so conveniently, I saw you, you exited the building with Freddy. I knew I recognised him from somewhere that day when he came into the Café but I couldn't put my finger on it because of how far you guys were, now I know."

Layla felt her legs give out, her heart dropping, and all the resentment she had held immediately disappearing, her defenses falling away and her chest carrying an ache at the sight of Red so broken.

Red lets a sob out, "But like you said, Layla, you moved on, you have a whole boyfriend! I'm still here, and somehow I can't even breathe or exist around another without thinking about you." Red painfully admits, her hand on her chest as though she's clutching onto her heart, fearing it might just collapse.

That sets Layla's tears off, the fact that Red wouldn't even have said anything if Layla didn't keep repeating it breaks her. The fact Red has been trying to make anything work out, whether it's a friendship or even acquaintances just so she can have Layla in her life because she didn't just lose her the night she had to flee for it, she also had her heartbroken the day she saw Layla had a boyfriend, and now Layla's sat here telling her how she moved on.

Layla wants to rip herself apart as she begins a stride towards the door, feeling herself breaking apart, so consumed by adrenaline that she doesn't notice Red start towards her and stop the door from opening.

Layla turns to Red, who's towering over her, the pair of their eyes so bloodshot that they can barely peel them open.

"Red, please. I can't take it anymore." Layla begs, tears pouring out of her eyes, and the proximity of Red sets her off even more because she doesn't know how to establish this all like a normal person would, she feels like she can't, and maybe she never will.

Red's hand lifts up to Layla's cheek, she meets her hot hand on Layla's swollen face and Layla nearly pushes her away but her body gives in, "Lay, please don't go." Red lowly and softly speak, her thumb wiping a tear away.

Layla's eyebrows knit together as the feelings within her merge into so much that they become nothing.

"I need to go." She states. Red pulls away. Layla leaves. And Red stays.

----

A painful one, Red actually did come back..

Don't forget to vote for this chapter and give me feedback!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.6K 622 26
(this book is mature! the toggle won't stay selected.) a small town girl experimenting with her best friend, eager to fill her curiosity of being wit...
56K 1.9K 90
She gazed into her dark brown eyes with lust and pain. A rose as red as her tainted lips she'd put behind her ear, still holding it there, never want...
57K 2.4K 32
~ "Love is like a puzzle; it's at first confusing, then frustrating, but if you figure it out, it's a beautiful thing." ~ Moving to a new t...
39.6K 1.5K 7
Sequel to my book: Her Sister.