Cyber Witch

Od wdhenning

Years ago when a young orphaned girl, advanced cybernetics were surgically installed into Avia's brain. Able... Viac

Author's Note
Chapter 1 - Once Upon a Time
Chapter 2.1 - Super Villain
Chapter 2.2 - You Can't be too Careful with an Aberrant
Chapter 2.3 - This is Lucky?
Chapter 3.1 - Trust Issues
Chapter 3.2 - Bubba
Chapter 4 - The Only True Virtue
Chapter 5.1 - Pink
Chapter 5.2 - Super Villains Don't Plan, They Scheme
Chapter 6.1 - Red Caste
Chapter 6.2 - Hard-Arse High-Level Corporate Executive
Chapter 6.3 - The Cyber Witch Strikes Again
Chapter 6.4 - What Have You Done?
Chapter 7 - Not a Threat, but a Consequence
Chapter 8.1 - Sure Would be a Shame to Die Now
Chapter 8.3 - Partners
Chapter 8.4 - Walkabout
Chapter 9.1 - Awkward
Chapter 9.2 - Favorite Shock Jock
Chapter 9.3 - Keyword
Chapter 10 - Public Relations Disaster
Chapter 11 - Karma Really is a Bitch

Chapter 8.2 - Worst Landing Ever

25 8 34
Od wdhenning

[Zach]

The crash happened in surreal slow-motion, as if I watched from afar.

A deafening boom and the screeching crunch of ripping plas-steel. Thrown forward, grunting pain as the chair restraint straps compressed my torso, pushing air from my lungs. We plowed through the surf, creating walls of water that surged over the ship.

Icy shocks pulsed through my shaken consciousness. And a thousand life images flickered across my mind in rapid motion — childhood scenes, teenage rebellions, days of bounty hunting, and Avia. Then darkness.

My swirling mind woke to dim silence — whether a second or a day had passed, I did not know. Thoughts stumbled over each other as I tried to make sense of it all. Rising cold water that splashed across my legs jolted me to reality.

Avia!

Limp arms at her side, Avia's head bowed down, chin nearly at her chest. Tossled dark hair shrouded a stilled face. As dread surged through me, I flung off my restraints, then lifted her chin. Almost imperceptibly, she let out a shallow moan, and warm breath brushed my hand. My heart lifted — she was still alive.

The shuttle pitched down, sloping the deck forward, and musky cold water rushed in, now over my knees. First removing her seat restraints, I lifted Avia into my arms and brought her to my chest.

"How 'bout we get out of here?" I muttered. Avia responded with a moan and looped an arm around my neck.

Partially buoyant, the shuttle rocked in the waves, and trudging uphill through the water proved difficult as I carried Avia toward the stern. With the water rising, the docking hatch seemed to take forever to swing open, revealing a new world of gray granite, fierce winds, and frothing surf. With a deep breath, I slid into the waves and did my best to hold Avia's head above the water. Gasping, the icy cold shocked my mind and body.

Fortunately, the shore was not far. I swam, Avia in tow, until I found footing. Collapsing with her in my arms, I laid back on smooth, dark pebbles and sucked in deep breaths of alien air. The sea gave it a damp musky essence.

Avia stirred, lifting her head, and widened amber eyes stared blankly at me.

"Are you all right?" I asked.

Her mouth opened, but no words came out. I supposed her cybernetics took a jolt and, hopefully, would take a few moments to reset.

"Let's just rest a bit." I said, bringing her head down against my shoulder.

"Mmm..." she hummed in reply.

After a few minutes, Avia took a deep breath, and whispered, "That was the worst landing ever." She tilted her head up to place a tingling kiss on my wet cheek. "But I am grateful."

"My worst, too." I helped Avia up to a sitting position, steadying her with an arm around her waist. "Are you hurt anywhere?" I asked.

She stretched and tilted her head back and forth, grimacing. "Shaken and banged up, but I think I will be okay." She cast her eyes around. "So, this is Eden?"

"Not exactly paradise."

Propelled by stiff cool winds, foamy waves crashed against the shore, crawling up the beach toward us, then backing away in rhythmic dance. The blue water had tints of greens and browns, which I suspected was because of algae-like organisms. Wave smoothed fallen boulders led to a high cliff a hundred-meters inland, and far beyond that, sharp snow-topped mountains poked at the sky. The only other signs of life were scattered blue-green crusts on some rocks that resembled lichen, small patches of reddish-green ferns, and tiny black eight-legged creatures that skittered away.

An orangish-yellow sun hung over the cliffs, providing some warmth to our wet bodies. I didn't know how much daylight we had left.

I stood and helped Avia up to wobbly legs. "We overshot the settlement area. It's going to be a long walk." Fortunately, the shoreline would guide us.

"Not like we can call for help," she said with a sigh. "Might as well get started."

Only the shuttle stern and one thruster cone remained above the waves, then with a bubbling burble, it disappeared. Having no incentive to remain, we ventured off, hand-in-hand.

We walked for hours with few words, the only sounds supplied by gusty winds and crashing surf. It was not an easy hike, sometimes requiring us to scramble over huge boulders or wade through the waves where the shoreline cliffs closed in.

Our lack of food or drinking water took its toll, especially on Avia, whose cybernetic implants sucked energy from her body. She became woozy and unsteady on her feet, requiring my help more and more. We came across a small stream that cascaded down from the cliff, at first lifting our hopes, then quickly dashed them as I found the water bitter and undrinkable.

Eventually, the sun dipped below the cliff, plunging us into shadow, and a small orange cast moon lifted from the sea. One by one, distant stars appeared in a blackening sky. The temperature swiftly dropped, made more intense by the chill of blustery winds.

Avia stopped, wrapping arms around herself as she trembled. "I'm so cold," she said in a weak voice.

As I wrapped her in my arms, my eyes scanned the cliff edge. A small hollow under fallen rock slabs would do for shelter. "It's getting dark. Let's get some rest and continue at first light."

We squeezed into the small dank space. It was still cool, and dampness still prevailed, but at least it blocked the wind. I gathered Avia into my arms and shielded her as best I could.

"The sky," Avia whispered as we entered. "It's so beautiful."

And so, it was. By now, countless points of light decorated the abyss, each like a tiny beacon of hope, or so I wished. Closing my eyes, I lifted a silent prayer of intervention to a Creator that I had thus far ignored in my life. Would God listen now?

Avia snuggled against me, accepting the meager warmth I offered. "I'm glad you kidnapped me, Zach."

"Well, I don't usually resort to that to pickup women, but you were a special case."

She chuckled, but then her outlook turned somber. "Zach, if I don't make it--"

"Don't talk like that," I chastised, interrupted her words. "We're going to make it together, okay? Just rest for now." I held tighter as she drifted off into a restless slumber.

Between the cold and the hard poking rock, sleep was scarce and fitful that night. Avia did little better, stirring or jerking frequently, but she never left my arms.

After what seemed forever, the first rays of morning sun poured into our little hole. I took solace in the meager warmth it provided.

"Rise and shine, sweetheart," I said with what cheerfulness I could muster.

"Uhhh," Avia grunted in reply.

After helping Avia out of our little cave, I stretched my aching body. The low sun traced a line of rippling brightness across gentle water, making me squint. The fierce winds of yesterday had lessened to gentle breezes.

Wobbling as she stood, tiny beads of sweat appeared on Avia's brow, sparkling in the sunshine. Her eyes glazed, focusing far away, then rolled back as she slumped down like a rag doll.

"Avia!" I exclaimed, catching her before she hit the pebbly ground.

I knew what caused her collapse — hypoglycemia, probably aggravated by dehydration. And the cybernetic implants that stripped her blood sugar were likely failing.

Drawing rapid, shallow breaths, turned moist eyes up to mine as I cradled her. The resignation in those eyes broke my heart. "Zach," she whispered through cracked lips. "Go on. Leave me here."

"Not an option, sweetheart."

"But I can't walk."

Gathering her in my arms, I lifted her against my chest. "Then I will carry you."

"Zach, no," she wheezed.

"I'm not asking permission, Avia."

Avia had not the strength to resist, and let her head settle on my shoulder.

Gathering resolve, I set off on an uncertain journey. The beach widened, and the cliffs retreated. Thus, there were fewer boulders to negotiate. But walking through wave-deposited gravel or sand while carrying Avia became its own challenge, each step a slog, each step an act of will.

After so many steps, my legs wobbled and my mind hazed. So, I took a break, laying in the pebbles with an unconscious Avia at my side. Gasping breaths scraped my parched throat while my body screamed with a thirst I could not quench.

Then I began again, Avia again in my arms. Steps. Rest. Steps. Rest. I continued in uncounted cycles.

For me. And for Avia, especially for Avia.

Guilt soured my stomach, for it was I who brought this fate upon her.

The gentle sea taunted me with water I could not drink, while the sunshine upon dark pebbles further tormented me with shimmering waves of heat. Sweat no longer came, and my body fevered — a dangerous sign of dehydration. A desiccated cotton-mouth made breathing became more difficult.

Steps. Rest. Repeat.

But it was a losing battle. Mortality had its limits.

I collapsed, dropping Avia as I slumped down. She laid on her side with a cheek on the pebbles, making small jerky movements.

Get up, I commanded myself! But as I rose, dizziness overcame me, and I collapsed again.

On hands and knees, my gut heaved, spilling bitter bile onto the pebbles, wasting precious water.

It took all my remaining strength to crawl to Avia's side and roll her against me.

"I'm sorry, Avia," I said in a barely audible raspy whisper. "I tried..."

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

3.9K 232 30
100 years ago, amidst WW3's nuclear bombing, a deadly virus was released in the atmosphere and nearly wiping out the humanity. It lives inside the hu...
84.1K 5K 50
| COMPLETED | ~ | Chapters are being Edited | #Wattys2020 ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•~~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~• He was a soldier, running towar...
2.7K 350 27
4th Place Grandwinner ONC 2022 || Science Fiction The year is 2072. The Omnix Wars are over. The Almats, a brutal society of extraterrestrial conquer...
1.3K 65 26
(This novel is under revision as of 2-5-19 up until I feel the true motivation to scrub through most of my older work. Also this summary is something...